Should Mods give warnings?

Off-topic posts of interest to the World of Warcraft community.
Elderon

Should Mods give warnings?

#1 » Post by Elderon » 06 May 2011 00:36

Should mods give warnings before out right muting a player?

I know some cases are extreme enough not to require a warning, such as if the player does it a lot, or is threatening or such. But I've seen mods mute for first time offence, where u can tell it was meant to be in a different channel and the player hit "." mistakenly instead of "/" when typing the channel name, and even for using the wrong channel once.

I'm not bashing Our mods, i'm just wondering what the rules concerning this is.
Ive also noticed that warnings are given out when roel is online but not when he isn't.

If someone could shed some light on this it would be welcomed.

AGAIN THIS THREAD IS NOT MEANT FOR MOD BASHING

Kraith
Former Staff

Re: Should Mods give warnings?

#3 » Post by Kraith » 06 May 2011 03:16

Mods can give warnings if they feel it is appropriate. Normally warnings will be given for first offenses at a given time; for example, if someone uses wrong channel, they will likely get a warning and everyone who does the same mistake right after will get muted. If you type in wrong channel, just quickly type "oops" or "wc". We punish people who break rules purposely; mods aren't ranked who has the most mutes, rather the best mods mute less often but more effectively - they educate rather than just serve as a constant "big stick".

A few things that commonly make warnings not given:
1. Level: If you're 80, you should know better.
2. Severity: If you're racist/sexist/etc or the offense is over-the-top, you're more likely to get banned for some time than get a warning. =P
3. Multiple violations: If you are known to constantly violate rules, even if it's the first time today or in X time, you shouldn't be warned and your punishment will be increased each time.

This aren't hard and fast rules, but more guidelines mods should use as guidelines and players should know. I hope this answers your question.
Kraith - RIP Maelstrom - 80 Troll Huntard
Retired GM, Inactive from game/forum

Elderon

#4 » Post by Elderon » 06 May 2011 03:27

Is there a way to report a Mod that is abusing power if you Get a SS of the act?

Kraith
Former Staff

#5 » Post by Kraith » 06 May 2011 03:57

You can make a post in the in-game issues thread, although I'd recommend against it unless it's significant. 95% of complaints either don't show any context to the situation or it's just the poster complaining.

Since this topic was about warnings, I'll restate again: we are not in any way required to give out warnings. We can mute/ban for any reason, even if not stated in the rules. Now in practice we don't, but "no warning" is not a complaint at all.

Flexall
Donor

#6 » Post by Flexall » 06 May 2011 04:03

Elderon wrote:Is there a way to report a Mod that is abusing power if you Get a SS of the act?
Yes there is, go to the In-Game Customer Support forum, you should see the thread for it.

Also, there are certain things that really determine whether the person gets a warning or not. Me personally, I try to give ppl benefit of the doubt since I know how we can all slip up sometimes. If I give a warning to someone and someone else does exactly what I just warned someone about its an instant mute, regardless of the circumstances. There are also keywords I will not tolerate, anything that could possibly be taken offensive by another person will not be tolerated. This server is meant for people to play on and not have to worry about being harassed, if this means giving out constant mutes so be it. We will do everything we can to moderate the chats and help make it a family friendly environment.
Ever get stuck not knowing how to play free WoW? Well have no fear, just go here and download the game completely free (it's safe, even I use it). Once you do so, you will need to change your realmlist. You can do this by opening the WoW directory and navigating to (Data>EnUs>) open up realmlist.wtf with notepad and change it to

Code: Select all

Set Realmlist login.truewow.org
Congratulations!
Now you can run WoW.exe and login with your account name and password on our server

On a side-note, if you are having issues accessing TPB you can use an alternate proxie in this list.

Elderon

#7 » Post by Elderon » 06 May 2011 04:34

One last question from me. Are mods able to Mute channel specific? Ive hear that they can, but both times I've been muted, its been all channels, all chars. and always for 1 hour. First time was messing around in world, i used a race language. Second time i typed ".party get the (curse) down here" in world. we were under siege and i immediately apologized for doing it. i can see being muted in the channel that the act takes place and in whisper so you cant harass the mod or such, but in party and guild and normal to?

Synth

#8 » Post by Synth » 06 May 2011 04:38

There was a slight talk in world about the main pages rules being a bit hazy on rude language.Some mods don't allow any at all, and will often mute on the first sight, regardless of if the person had the wrong channel and apologized.
Rule #2 clearly states that no -excessively- rude language should be used.

Ie: Speak English, don't try to bypass te adult language filter and don't use excessive rude language. (source: http://www.truewow.org/index.php?n=server&sub=rules)

Now, excessive by definition means: More than is necessary, normal, or desirable; immoderate. (Straight from the dictionary.) If Roel's wish is that no rude language is to be used than please, edit or ask that the word 'excessive' be edited out of the rules. But if not, try to warn mods to ease up a little and not mute players for an occasional rude word here and there.

Intervention
Former Staff

#9 » Post by Intervention » 06 May 2011 05:45

Synth, you are correct. This is a massive flaw in the rules section and I've advised Roel to update it so that it would avoid many discussions and he agreed to do so but it was never done for reasons unknown to me.

But yeah as Kraith said in his first post, Mods CAN give warnings but they don't have to which is generally dependent on the situation anyway.
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

Kraith
Former Staff

#10 » Post by Kraith » 06 May 2011 06:10

Elderon wrote:One last question from me. Are mods able to Mute channel specific? Ive hear that they can, but both times I've been muted, its been all channels, all chars. and always for 1 hour. i can see being muted in the channel that the act takes place and in whisper so you cant harass the mod or such, but in party and guild and normal to?
It always has and always been for the entire chat function of the game.

@Synth What Intervention said.

OkweL

#11 » Post by OkweL » 06 May 2011 06:38

Mute affects ALL chat windows and ALL characters on the same account.

About warnings. This game is based on community. Single player don't need to use ANY chat channel so he can't break "chat" rules in any way. Those who use are playing with others, grouping in party, raids, they also join guilds. It's in PLAYERS interest to communicate about major things and announcements, but most of you simply ignore that part. I have asked multiple times to tell each other in guilds that "this" is not working and we are waiting for fix or Roel, or "that" is against rules. 2 hours later we have had again another ticket about said thing or rule breaker.

Instead of just leveling, talk in guild chat, change guild MOTD and announce things. The longer server exists, the lower tolerance for wrong channels usage or language should be.

Synth

#12 » Post by Synth » 06 May 2011 11:07

Thanks for clearing it up Intervention, & Kraith. I think once it is changed, we'll see less people getting muted over 'rude language'.

Cover25

#13 » Post by Cover25 » 06 May 2011 12:10

Kraith wrote:Mods can give warnings if they feel it is appropriate. Normally warnings will be given for first offenses at a given time; for example, if someone uses wrong channel, they will likely get a warning and everyone who does the same mistake right after will get muted. If you type in wrong channel, just quickly type "oops" or "wc".
Yes kraith, But just randomly typing Things Like penis or Fuck in chat and then going "oh wc sorry" doesnt erase what they just typed. Now, i do give warnings for just about all the swear words But, There are a few i dont and are insta mute.

Synth

#14 » Post by Synth » 06 May 2011 13:57

I don't believe mods or players should be able to say 'wtf' either. It may be short handed but it means the same. 'Tis the reason for the screenshots.

Mariane

#15 » Post by Mariane » 06 May 2011 14:26

I agree though guys, we should be able to still talk when we get muted, it's too much of a punishment to be punished with mutes!