How to Gear a Fresh lvl 80

Share your victories and discuss tactics, encounters and group composition, and look to future challenges for your band of heroes.
boxerman

How to Gear a Fresh lvl 80

#1 » Post by boxerman » 11 Jan 2011 06:38

Hello everyone, I know I'm not lvl 80 but i will be soon. I'm just asking what is the fastest or best way to get good decent gear through dungeons etc. What dungeons would you advise first as a brand new lvl 80 with green/blue armor? And what should i aspect to have before joining ICC? Thank you guys for reading; Appreciate the responses.

Toxic Reaper

Re: How to Gear a Fresh lvl 80

#2 » Post by Toxic Reaper » 11 Jan 2011 08:17

Some people like to farm pos normal for emblems to gain t9 set gear but i find it quicker and more fun to do as many random heroics you can a day to achieve this because you gain gear for all slots as well as emblems for your eventual t9
ToxicReaper- Tauren Druid:
- Restoration PvP and PvE
- Balance PvP

Ghainelor- Orc Deathknight:
- Blood Tank PvE
- Unholy PvP and PvE

Dokusei-Orc Shaman:
- Restoration PvE and PvP
- Elemental PvP and PvE

Infinitus- Undead Priest:
- Discipline PvP and PvE
- Shadow PvP

Bloodintent- Undead Rogue:
- Assassination PvP and PvE
- Subtlety PvP

Rythen- Undead Warlock:
- Affliction PvE and PvP
- Destruction PvE

Choine- Undead Mage:
- Frost PvP
- Fireball-TTW PvE

Paradigma- Buttelf Paladin:
- Protection PvE and PvP
- Holy PvP and PvE

Stryke

#3 » Post by Stryke » 11 Jan 2011 11:37

I would suggest:
1. Farm Pit of Saron Normal for emblems and some pieces of gear. + Do Random Heroics.
2. Buy T9 and other off-set pieces from emblem vendors (found at argent tournament / dalaran)
3. Get into the "farmed" raids, such as Obsidian Sanctum

If you get to 4500 Gearscore in PvE gear I would pretty much say you can get into ICC (when It'll be fixed).

Catch me in-game on Stryke / Renjai / Moocow if you need more info/help :)

Kraith
Former Staff

#4 » Post by Kraith » 11 Jan 2011 19:50

First off, you'll have to decide on your primary spec/role. As a druid, you have a lot of options. I'm guessing you leveled feral, but balance is a great alternative at 80. Feral cat is a difficult spec at 80, but if you pvp you might like it best. Balance/resto is a popular PvE combination because they share gear. If you want to do PvE more, get tier 9 gear. If you do PvP more, you might go for furious gear first, but doing dungeons/raiding in PvP is frowned upon majorly.

Always do daily rhc (random heroic) for 2 Emblems of Frost, you'll be needing those later on. You also might want to extra rhcs for extra EoTs (Emblems of Triumph). Pit of Saron farming is a good way to rapidly get EoTs, but I'd suggest doing as many rhcs as possible. The experience you gain in doing dungeons will help you more than the fast farming in PoS.
Kraith - RIP Maelstrom - 80 Troll Huntard
Retired GM, Inactive from game/forum

boxerman

#5 » Post by boxerman » 12 Jan 2011 01:11

Thanks for the Info everyone, this will greatly help me in making my PvE and PvP specs :)

Intervention
Former Staff

#6 » Post by Intervention » 12 Jan 2011 04:20

Everything else has generally been answered but i'll give you this tip as many new people make the common mistake.

NEVER trade in your emblems of frost for other embelms! EVER! Especially on this server.

:D
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

Kraith
Former Staff

#7 » Post by Kraith » 12 Jan 2011 08:05

Great advice, just don't do anything with frosts. Two by two you'll save them and after you get full tier 9/furious pvp you can start using them for tier 10/other misc gear.

-

#8 » Post by - » 19 Apr 2011 21:37

Just what I was looking for when I become 80, and I have a question myself - What gear should a Holy/Ret lvl 80 Paladin have to focus on? Currently I am lvl 51 Holy with 42 pts in that tree, but I am going to go Ret with the second tree, so I am interested in finding out about the gear I should have; I also have other questions - 2. Is a Holy/Ret pallie perfect for a tank/healer or only one of them? 3. How can I gain 1k gold for the DTS so I can finally train the second tree (besides questing like crazy and selling all the items I loot and farm for but don't need after all)
I'd really like it if some1 answers these questions since I don't know much about the actual game, I've been playing here since maybe January, but I know little. Thx in advance. :)
P.S: 4. Should I go for sets from my lvl on? I already have an almost full set, when I get 55 I'll be able to equip them, but I don't think they'll be useful at lvl 55, I think the set is kinda low...

Kraith
Former Staff

#9 » Post by Kraith » 19 Apr 2011 23:34

You should level ret, simple as that. Leveling with a dps spec is always best because it's so much faster. At 80, that is there the options for healing and taking should be considered.

For leveling gear, quest greens and occasional blue are best. They really are! Leveling is all about speed and efficiency. When you reach 80, then gearing becomes strategic. Follow @Stryke's advice for getting geared. Holy and ret Paladins use different gear; I don't play one, but holy uses intellect/spirit/spellpower gear and ret uses strength/attack power gear I think? Once you hit 80, choose ONE. Just one. Build that set up so you have tier 9 plus whatever upgrades/other pieces you find. Then, if you want, you can start collecting an offset.

Whether you choose holy or ret at 80 is 100% up to you. Do you want to dps or heal? Simple as that.

-

#10 » Post by - » 20 Apr 2011 11:16

Thanks man, really appreciate the help =)

ACTUAL UPDATE: I have an UBER question (if you can put it like that).... First off, thx again for your post, Second - I got some cool int, spir and SP stuff... Prob is... Now I have fairly equal stats for a Holy/Ret pallie... Is that cool or not? (like good or not I mean)... Because now I have more than 3.3k hp and 2.5hp MANA! But even though I myself think it's cool, I am even more confused now!... I mean, I want to focus on both DPS AND HEAL, but I'm not sure if it works... But, personally... I say - I think I should already start on concentrating on what to gear up with... xD... Anyway... Thx again for the help but I now need an answer with that question (if you can call what I wrote above some sorta question :D ), but nevertheless - now I pwn more xD Thx in advance (again...)

EDIT ON "ACTUAL UPDATE" : Looooong reply eh? xD

Intervention
Former Staff

#11 » Post by Intervention » 20 Apr 2011 16:45

I disagree Kraith, i leveled protection and was able to take on 6+ mobs at once and just hit them with mutlti target dps (almost every power i have) and tada quest complete. Can also solo elites easier without groups.

Im too tired to read the rest but i thought i'd go off topic and say that >:)
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

OkweL

#12 » Post by OkweL » 21 Apr 2011 10:48

@Intervention wrong
Ret pallies level much faster than prot, I used to play protadin before, and ret here. I feelt the difference, espacially above 60-70.

@Teh_owner96
I can't login now so can't reply with exact names but if you visit NPC to buy items in Dalaran, you will see 2 different sets. First will be with int and spell power - that is for holy, the other will be with strenght - that is for retri.

I have retardin, the ofspec is holy (asked Top for help with choosing talents) however I haven't played it yet. Playing new spec at 80 seems to me like having instant 80 character with some build that you don't even know how to use. I have learned how to use retri or prot in the past during leveling. Here retri works sometimes soo good that I am even the only that dies hehe. But that might be issue related to tank and holding aggro ;D

Euro

#13 » Post by Euro » 21 Apr 2011 11:06

Mass Random Dungeons -> best way :D

-

#14 » Post by - » 21 Apr 2011 12:55

TYVM. (thumbs up) OK, I'm gonna go pwn 'n' lvl with my already new gear (I'm fast lol), so.... Wish me luck! And thx again. =)

Warpath

#15 » Post by Warpath » 21 Apr 2011 22:17

@OkweL if u need help with those holy pala talents /w me in game :D