Use of "nigga(s)"

Knewklear
Donor

Use of "nigga(s)"

#1 » Post by Knewklear » 14 Dec 2014 18:37

I don't care who you are or what your background is or even the reason behind the use of the word, it should not be used, PERIOD! And I'm fucking white! Give this player a warning, at least, if not a mute. And if you're going to mute him, give him a reason similar to what I stated.

Nyeriah

Re: Use of "nigga(s)"

#2 » Post by Nyeriah » 14 Dec 2014 19:19

"Nigga" is not an offensive word, and, in the context you reported, it's even harmless.

Blacklustersoldier
Honorary Member

#3 » Post by Blacklustersoldier » 14 Dec 2014 19:20

I'm white, so idk, but most people claim it's a racist term. It's not racist if it's used by black people though... sooo idk, they should come here and speak, and make their voices heard. /shrug
RETIRED
Contact info:
[hide]Skype: bone.link90
Battle tag EU: bonelink90#2702
E-mail: bone.link90@yahoo.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mihai.Udrescu90
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198138722978/[/hide]
Char list:
[hide]Blackluster
Katra
Mystral
Sepinia
Shanira
Stasher
Lightluster
Soreya
Dastan
Xeria
Runya[/hide]

Etro
Honorary Member

#4 » Post by Etro » 14 Dec 2014 19:24

Political correctness is not an established social construct and not everyone are into it. So, just as much as you don't care why they use that word and think it is wrong, not everyone will care that you think like that.

IMO, the reason behind the use of that words is very important. The use of that word has been controversial because of its metalinguistic implications, not because of its etymology. So you can't, in fairness, judge the person that uses it without considering his/her background and intentions.

IMO, if anything, he should only be warned. Although, to me, the reason "because someone might get offended" is a bit ridiculous. In this kind of situation, I think it is best to let the community itself to alienate him if they don't like his behaviour by just ignoring him. That's how it works in real life. The few times someone has been "punished" just because of saying something politically incorrect, like, "nigga", there has been a huge controvery behind it that results with the person in question being ultimately cleared, because the motivation of such sayings were, supposedly, not hostile.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

Nyeriah

#5 » Post by Nyeriah » 14 Dec 2014 19:25

"Nigger" is a racist word while the slang "nigga" is often even used by media. When I inquired two Americans back in the day they've told me that, so I took their word on the matter :D

http://www.metrolyrics.com/man-down-lyrics-rihanna.html

Etro
Honorary Member

#6 » Post by Etro » 14 Dec 2014 19:31

No one is an authority on metalinguistics. It doesn't matter what anyone says reggarding the interpretation of a word. "Nigger" and "Nigga" have the same roots, different expressions and multiple interpretations.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

Knewklear
Donor

#7 » Post by Knewklear » 14 Dec 2014 19:34

And that's exactly why I want something done about this. Simply because it's controversial and it always brings about negative things. Imagine a world without the word nigga(s). Less negative, for sure.

Etro
Honorary Member

#8 » Post by Etro » 14 Dec 2014 19:41

You can do something about it; you can /ignore him.

Controversial things are supposed to be discussed, not to be censored.

Knewklear
Donor

#9 » Post by Knewklear » 14 Dec 2014 19:46

Discussed? Fine, then. Think of it like this; the black peoples' ancestors have fought for freedom for slavery and the banishment of the word, "nigger", which is, unfortunately now used as "nigga". The excuse behind using "nigga"? "It's part of our culture." Okay, so these people who are fighting for so long to put off everything lesser and fight for something greater want to remember those times like it was some sort of golden era? Fucking please. Abolish the word, abolish the history, and make way for a brighter future. That's my fucking view.

I'm Bosnian. The Serbians performed genocide upon my fucking country. I don't go around hating every single Serbian. I don't know what my life would have been like if that shit didn't happen and I don't want to waste time thinking about it. I'm alive. I'm moving on, paving the way toward a hopefully brighter future.
Last edited by Knewklear on 14 Dec 2014 19:50, edited 2 times in total.

Nyeriah

#10 » Post by Nyeriah » 14 Dec 2014 19:48

Yes, I agree. We are able to tell when a word is said with the intention of harming someone and in this case he clearly doesn't show interest in harassing anyone for their ethnic roots. Etro, I believe the problem here isn't all that relevant for us to go all so techniballer. It's just cultural divergences, this is a common (and rather neutral) slang at some parts of the world.

Don't get me wrong or anything, but I agree. The fact it's controversial is exactly a reason why it shouldn't be touched. One could say you're the one being racist here because you're "fucking white" and you can't have an overused, widely accepted by media, old slang being cast right at ye.

Frostbolt

#11 » Post by Frostbolt » 14 Dec 2014 19:49

I never understood people that get offended because of something someone said on the internet. And if you do get offended, just ignore him.
Avala - Level 80 Rogue
Paticrko - Level 80 Death Knight
Caladiirn - Level 80 Paladin

Dropdead

#12 » Post by Dropdead » 14 Dec 2014 19:50

Always some1 making a huge fuss over nothing..

Knewklear
Donor

#13 » Post by Knewklear » 14 Dec 2014 19:51

Ignoring something and not doing something about it builds up. Anyone with common sense should know that.

Blacklustersoldier
Honorary Member

#14 » Post by Blacklustersoldier » 14 Dec 2014 19:54

ignoring the "problem" doesn't fix it

ignoring a rapist doesn't mean that rape doesn't happen
ignoring a murderer, doesn't mean that murder doesn't happen

I personally dislike when I see those terms used in world chat so lightly as if they meant nothing, but at the same time I understand that those people are just frustrated over something, and that's the way they know how to vent. Can I do something about? no, if I speak up, they will just rally up 20 other morons and convince me that rape is fine and fun, and so is nigga. Is something done about it? no, because if something is done about it, you get butthurt people over the internet spaming the forums that they got wrongfully banned, and that they should be warned first.

in both cases, nothing can be done about these people, because they will never learn... far too few care about learning how not to speak ghetto. The main reason for that is because of how media treats these subjects. The media is over exagerating about them, and you hear these words used in songs, movies, comericials and other bullshit stuff on the radio or tv. But hey, if people who are part of the media use it, it must mean that everyone can use it the way they want to and nobody should feel butthurt over being called nigga or whatever.

I am probably contradicting myself a lot in this post, but bottom line is:
Some people are being offended by that language, so lets just all get along and NOT use that type of language.
RETIRED
Contact info:
[hide]Skype: bone.link90
Battle tag EU: bonelink90#2702
E-mail: bone.link90@yahoo.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mihai.Udrescu90
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198138722978/[/hide]
Char list:
[hide]Blackluster
Katra
Mystral
Sepinia
Shanira
Stasher
Lightluster
Soreya
Dastan
Xeria
Runya[/hide]

Frostbolt

#15 » Post by Frostbolt » 14 Dec 2014 19:55

Knewklear wrote:Ignoring something and not doing something about it builds up. Anyone with common sense should know that.
Then i have no common sense, please explain to me how does this build up. Those that get offended can simply ignore him, if he offends too many people he soon won't even be able to even get in a raid.
Avala - Level 80 Rogue
Paticrko - Level 80 Death Knight
Caladiirn - Level 80 Paladin