Old school players, can you give me a brief history summary?

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
Raxxo

Old school players, can you give me a brief history summary?

#1 » Post by Raxxo » 24 Jul 2013 18:37

Hey,

I joined TrueWoW in September 2012 after some extensive googling and comparing servers. So I'm a fairly new player to TrueWoW.
Right before or after I joined (don t remember exactly) we merged with Spermik.
I am curious to the whole history and the creation of TrueWoW.
I've been lurking on the forums for a while and there seemed to be some great downfall after DDoS or something?
Can you tell me everything? :D I want some nice reading material.

marko1984

Re: Old school players, can you give me a brief history summary?

#2 » Post by marko1984 » 24 Jul 2013 18:52

go buy a book for nice reading material :)
as for server roots... lets wait for gms :)
Three mages!

Raxxo

#3 » Post by Raxxo » 24 Jul 2013 18:53

As a matter of fact, I'm reading through the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, more commonly known as Game of Thrones.
But I wan't to learn more about the birthing of this server xD

Drago

#4 » Post by Drago » 24 Jul 2013 18:53

Well you could find the Truewow facebook page, a huge part of it is there, including updates and news regarding merges and ddos attacks, new features, etc.
What you visualize is what you create around you.
When you visualize something good or bad you will always get it! So better visualize what you really want :-)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drago - Retribution/Protection Paladin [Main]
Shiftylegs - Restoration/Ballance Druid
Aquanova - Arcane/Fire Mage
Strongtail - Frost/Unholy DK
ImageImage

axe

#5 » Post by axe » 25 Jul 2013 00:26

There are only few "veterans" left that have been here from very beginning.I haven't played much after the 1st merge and I haven't been on TW right from start but here is how I see TW history:
At the beginning there were only few guilds on alliance side:Eternity,Timeless Circle and Intervention's guild( I cannot recall now what was the name of it).I started in Timeless Circle , but as soon as I got to 80 I switched to Eternity because that was alliance guild where raids happpened(Roel,Top, Rhorn,Stray,Hedorei,Watchya,Tesak,Xpain are just some of them , and I cannot remember who used to raid with us at the moment).ICC10N was pretty hard then to be honest. We used to wipe on Deathbringer and taking down Festergut was a big progress for us.Blood quarter came later and it was bugged at that time.Intervention's guild was also making a progress in ICC with his mates. Soon enough 25 man ICC was opened and that's when Interventions 25 man raids begun to happen.Horde was way more powerful and better organized in terms of PVE at that time.They have created guild Maelstrom which pretty much conquered every raids.They managed to get some first realm achievements and downed Blood Queen on 25 man which was really bugged and I myself believed that it wasn't doable.We had so much population that summer, and that record still hasn't been beaten even with all merges.But then hackers appeared and our population dropped dramatically.Next year was with around 250-300 population which wasn't so bad .After some period Roel introduced to us new level 80 realm which was taken as a bad move by players even though I enjoyed playing on it.So now, we had 2 realms and people started to leave our server.Level 80 realm got removed but there were consequences that reflected on population. From 250-300 we dropped to maximum 200 and that number kept dropping when many players decided to transfer to OmegaWoW.We were around 50-100 at that point. But merge with Spermik was kind of comeback for both servers and every other merge revived out population.So that's pretty much from me that was worth mentioning.There were so many more nice and exciting moments but telling would take ages.You wanted some reading material, so here's one :)
Enjoy your stay here on TrueWow.

Raxxo

#6 » Post by Raxxo » 25 Jul 2013 06:00

That's what I wanted to read!
Any nostalgic veterans who want to add to this?

Heihachi
Developer

#7 » Post by Heihachi » 25 Jul 2013 08:06

Raxxo wrote:That's what I wanted to read!
Any nostalgic veterans who want to add to this?
I will add to it when i have some time

Myaoming
Former Staff

#8 » Post by Myaoming » 25 Jul 2013 16:51

Me too :P
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

Teal Deer

#9 » Post by Teal Deer » 25 Jul 2013 19:17

both of you never have time.

Drago

#10 » Post by Drago » 25 Jul 2013 19:21

Which is why I was gonna say they'll answer when we will be a full working Cata server :D
What you visualize is what you create around you.
When you visualize something good or bad you will always get it! So better visualize what you really want :-)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drago - Retribution/Protection Paladin [Main]
Shiftylegs - Restoration/Ballance Druid
Aquanova - Arcane/Fire Mage
Strongtail - Frost/Unholy DK
ImageImage

Roel
Founder

#11 » Post by Roel » 25 Jul 2013 20:43

I never have time either but I can't ignore this. And to be honest I saved myself some time and copied a story that I wrote to the Spermik admin when we merged. However I ended up adding some extra stuff to it. I will mostly give some history that the oldest players and staff members don't even know about because it's basically my personal WoW history (and therefore part of the server's history).

I believe it was by the end of 2007 when I first played WoW. I joined some crappy TBC funserver and didn't really know what I was doing at the time. The server died after a few months but I wanted to quit WoW anyway. 2 Years later by the end of 2009 is when I somehow started to play WoW again and this time for real. Believe it or not but I joined the Spermik server which had like 1500 players online at peak hours back then. I created a guild and managed to get 100-150 members but after a few months I quit again at level 75 or something like that. I was a little disappointed about the bugs but apparently those were common for WotLK private servers at that time. At the same time I was playing around with some Arcemu repack and my passion for computers wanted me to learn more about it. Before I knew I had Trinity server running at my PC 24/7, it was March 2010 and I must have been crazy. I invited my guild members to come over and test it out. At peak time there were like 3 people online.

Things grow by getting the word out and making constant improvements. I only ran it at home for 4 months but it started lagging with more than 50 players online because of my crappy internet connection. I was amazed how it only took a few months to reach 50 online players at peak times but also sad that I had to set an online player limit. By July 2010 I moved to a paid host with the help of donations so I could remove that limit. Population skyrocketed from that point on, it was like the Golden Age and yet so many things still had to be improved. Lag was a major issue and I had to upgrade the server again after a few months. In the beginning of 2011 the server had its best time population wise, the highest peak we had was 782 online.

However by the end of June 2011 we were introduced to DDoS and the server was down for over a week, population decreased. Around that time people also started to get less interested in WotLK. It was kind of a depressive time period.

Raxxo

#12 » Post by Raxxo » 25 Jul 2013 21:08

Hahahaha, you ran a WoW server on your pc? xD
That really requires some dedication.
Respect boss, respect!
If you want, you can tell us about your raiding and PvP experiences too :)
Encounters that were hard to do because of bugs, pwnage in bg's because of certain bugs etc etc.
This is really nice to read, and it is nice to know we have such dedicated people running this server.
Alright, enough blowing wind up your ass.
I'll be waiting for more stories!

Arockalypse
Donor

#13 » Post by Arockalypse » 25 Jul 2013 21:58

Old School players <3
Theses Three Words made me remember all the good old days :(
Shadow Council of Hellraisers
TrueWoW member since 2010.

⌁ How the little piggies will grunt when they hear how the old boar suffered ⌁

Dr. Who

#14 » Post by Dr. Who » 26 Jul 2013 16:41

i know the feeling @Arockalypse. ;)
@Axe you nab. :twisted: you didnt mension me! it was me who used to tank Kele at council with my hunter. :lol: how can you forget sutch thing? lol
good old times. :roll:
You did a bad think? Does it affect me? No? Them Suffer in Silence.
You Crying now? You have no reason to cry, if some one cries is because they are sad.
For example,i cry because people are stupid what makes me sad.
And i'm not insane, my Mother had me tested.
by: "The Big Bang Theory -Sheldon Cooper"

axe

#15 » Post by axe » 26 Jul 2013 19:25

Yeah sorry Beast . I have forgotten to mention so many memorable moments.
It would take ages to tell them all. Your contribution on Coucil shall not be forgotten!