#1 » Post by Foohy » 11 Nov 2012 15:20

Notepad DL Link: Prot Paladin Talent Build

Make your own builds for 3.3.5: MMO-Champion Talent Builder

Bluebell
Former Staff

Re: Prot Paladin Talent Build

#2 » Post by Bluebell » 11 Nov 2012 17:33

No Divine sacrifice or Guardian?
Why join the winning side if you can change the winner?

Foohy

#3 » Post by Foohy » 11 Nov 2012 18:11

I don't think it is necessary with good healers, but you could give up Crusade for it.

Cover25

#4 » Post by Cover25 » 11 Nov 2012 18:14

Bluebell wrote:No Divine sacrifice or Guardian?
Damage reduction=Must have for several bosses.

Bluebell
Former Staff

#5 » Post by Bluebell » 11 Nov 2012 18:17

I think you should explain your choice for talents, it'd be a lot more helpful.
Why join the winning side if you can change the winner?

Foohy

#6 » Post by Foohy » 11 Nov 2012 18:52

NOTE: This is a more leveling focused talent build, hence the "LVL X-X" guide to know what to add at what level, but I also consider it a great tanking one too for level 80.
NOTE 2: Why prot for leveling? I think it is a lot faster than retribution because you will be able to tank multiple mobs at the same time for those pesky grinding quests (especially when you get Holy Shield) which is faster than picking them one by one, your aoe damage is good which lets you deal damage to all enemies at the same time, making them all die pretty much at the same time.

Divine Strength
More damage, higher block value, also Divinity isn't good too early on, especially when you consider that you cannot do RDF untill 15.

Divinity
Good sustain throughout the whole leveling process from both your heals and allied heals.

Anticipation
Higher chance to dodge enemy attacks.

Improved Righteous Fury
Great damage reduction for a good permabuff that helps you keep threat easier.

Improved Devotion Aura
An aura that you will use most of the time, great 50% increase for the armor it offers and better healing for those affected. Not maxed immediately so that we can grab BOS early on.

Blessing of Sanctuary
Great buff and also provides nice mana regeneration if you dodge/parry/block attacks. Also necessary for advancing to future spells and talents.

Toughness
After you maxed the Devotion Aura talent you will need 3 more points to advance to the next tier of talents, Toughness is a great choice, only 3 points at start so we can advance to better talents in the next tier.

Sacred Duty
Great stamina increase and a nice reduction to your protective shields.

One-Handed Weapon Specialization
Speaks for itself. Increased damage when you use one-handed weapons.

Holy Shield
Great spell that increases your block chance by 30% when activated, it is spamable and it works very well with the mana regeneration from BOS.

Ardent Defender
After you have maxed Toughness for it gives nice bonus armor and ccreduction Ardent Defender is a great choice, considering that you won't be in the situation of getting low on hp this early on I chose to get toughness before this. Two points at first so you can advance to better talents in the next tier.

Combat Expertise
Increased critical chance, increased stamina, increase expertise.

Redoubt
After you have maxed Ardent Defender get one point in Redoubt (at first) so you can advance in the next tier for better talents. Gives good block value increase and a nice passive chance of getting increased blocking chance, works extremely well with Holy Shield.

Avenger's Shield
Great spell that offers some CC and it bounces to multiple targets, helping you to keep aggro.

Guarded by the Light
After you maxed Redoubt you will want to advance to this talent. Not a must have early on but the spell damage reduction is very nice.

Shield of the Templar
Good damage reduction and buffs your Avenger's Shield, giving it a 100% chance to silence the targets for 3 seconds.

Judgement of the Just
Offers a very nice buff to your judgements, reducing the attack speed of the targets by 20%, also it buffs your buff (yo dawg)

Hammer of the Righteous
Great damaging spell with very low mana cost, lower CD that the judgements and it deals more damage than them.

Benediction
Since mana is quite a pain, especially around these levels, Benediction is a great choice since it offers nice mana cost reduction to all your instant cast spells, which are most of your damaging spells.

Deflection
Increased parry chance.

Conviction
Increases your critical strike chance of spells and attacks.

Sanctity of Battle
Further increases your critical strike chance of spells and attacks.

Crusade
Increases all your damage by 2% and it increases it by 4% when you attack Humanoids, Undead, Demons and Elementals.

Sangrial

#7 » Post by Sangrial » 08 Dec 2012 10:19

Leveling as Prot is a pain in the ass, especially at low levels... (very poor Mana management)

If you are not experienced with it, I would recommend going for Retribution straight.. go S&B invest some points in Prot for surviability and your on. BUT Retribution alone has very good surviability anyway.. so no much point in going S&B and into Prot Tree too much.

Just my opinion.
Characters:

Sangrial - Retribution PvE & Protribution PvP
Character Motto: The Light be with you, my friend...
Demonius - Affliction & Destruction PvE
Character Motto: Kill 'em all! Let God sort them out!

Intervention
Former Staff

#8 » Post by Intervention » 08 Dec 2012 10:25

I've leveled in prot paladin 3 times lol, so easy.
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

Sangrial

#9 » Post by Sangrial » 08 Dec 2012 10:41

It might not be that easy for everyone, Inter.
Characters:

Intervention
Former Staff

#10 » Post by Intervention » 08 Dec 2012 10:53

It really should be, it's simple spells like any other class, mana consumption is beaten with 20 seconds of seal of wisdom and you should never really go OOM anyway because seems your prot you should be taking on a whole bunch of mobs at once. With BoS, your mana should have no issues what so ever. RDF queue is also a dream, tanks are always needed and thus you're pushed to the front of the queue. ;)
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

Sangrial

#11 » Post by Sangrial » 08 Dec 2012 11:03

I was speaking strictly about leveling..and I was saying being a prot in early levels is a pain, because you don't have BoS... and the fights gets long.. I, myself... I prefer fast killing. :)
Characters:

nyemare
Donor

#12 » Post by nyemare » 27 Dec 2012 17:20

Once you receive Consecration mana and tanking large groups should be no issue. Between time on retail and here I have leveled 6 protection paladins and Consecration alone can hold threat off of all but the best players at low levels. By the time it becomes an issue you will have other spells (Judgements, Salv, HS) to make use of while tab targeting to see who is pulling threat. I would suggest use of an addon such as Omen threat meter to assist you with this. :geek:
My party is my weapon and I am their shield. I am a protection paladin.