Holy Paladin PvP guide to abilites by Roel

Roel
Founder

Holy Paladin PvP guide to abilites by Roel

#1 » Post by Roel » 07 Oct 2011 21:12

I have written this completely mysefl a while ago to teach others how to play hpally they way I want them to play it. Anyway here is some rough guideline about how I would use the abilities, it's only about the abilities and by far not a complete guide on how to play the Holy Paladin.

Holy Light - With the long cast time you would be able to pull 2 flash of lights in the same time healing just as much and being way cheaper on mana and reducing the chance of getting interrupted, in other words never use Holy Light.

Flash of Light - The most mana efficient healing ability but can be interrupted. More about fake casting later.

Holy Shock - The only instant heal ability which will also give instant Flash of Light on crits. This should be used with Flash of Light when a lot of healing is required or if Flash of Light is dangereous to get interrupted. Just spam Flash of Light if there is not much pressure to save mana. Holy Shock can be used if there is not much pressure to have more time for dispelling or other abilities depending on the situation.

Judgement of Light - If you have it on your action bar, remove it now.

Judgement of Wisdom - This is the judgement you should normally use. Make sure you keep Judgements of the Pure talent active for haste. This judgement is also very useful for interrupting healers/casters who are drinking for mana.

Jugdement of Justice - Try to use this on cooldown against druids/resto shammies your partner needs to kill to prevent them from running away but also against rogues. It can also be used at the start of the arena to slow mounted players. Anyway it's very important if your partner wants to score a kill on a resto druid or resto shaman. Note: this judgement only has 10 yards range instead of 40 and is more likely to miss. This is because the talent Enlightened Judgements doesn't affect this judgement.

Hand of Freedom - Can be used to run away if you're in trouble otherwise use as much as possible on your partner to make it easier to score a kill while getting slowed especially when your partner almost kills a target but gets slowed.

Blessings - Kings is superiour due to giving stamina and intellect. Even on melee Kings because it gives Strenght, Agility and Stamina. If the match takes too long and you can easily keep melee alive then give might. Btw hunters also count as melee. DK and Hunter pets should get might, warlock pets kings.

Devotion aura - Should never be used

Retribution aura - Should never be used

Crusader aura - not much use in arena

Concentration aura - This is the aura that should always be active, it makes sure your flash of light won't get slowed down by incoming damage and is required for Aura Mastery to make you immune to silence and interrupt for 6 seconds.

Frost Resistance - Ovbiously use this against frost mages.

Shadow Resistance - Against shadow priests and Afflication warlocks as far as I know.

Fire Resistance - Against elemental shammies and Destro warlocks, if you don't know the spec of a warlock you're safer with this aura. Warlock's shadow bolt will hit high but the main damage is reduced.

Seal of Wisdom - Always keep this active.

Righteous Fury - Keep this active for 6% less damage due to the talent in the prot tree. Just rebuff if it gets dispelled because it costs no mana but don't do it if you need the global cooldown for a different ability.

Damage abilities - Hammer of Wrath, Exorcism, Shield of Righteousness and Concentration (expensive mana) can all be used to do damage when a target is almost dead added with judgements however watch your mana so you can keep healing long enough if the kill attempt fails.

Divine Favor - It should be used for Holy Shock when really heavy healing is required so you also get instant Flash of Light.

Aura Mastery - If healing is required but dangererous for silence, with this active you can safely cast Flash of Light. With a Resistance aura it will give 260 resistance for seconds but you won't be immune to silence, in this case it can be used to reduce damage when they do dangereous burst.

Divine Illumination - Use when you need to heal through burst or just need to use a lot of mana expensive spells even if you're not yet in mana problems.

Divine Shield - Use when you're under 5k hp and can't instantly heal yourself, be aware priests and warriors can remove this buff. Priests can do it very fast so Holy Shock and Flash of Light as soon as possible or stay out of LoS. This ability can also be used as a trinket to get out of CC when trinket is on cooldown and your partner is almost dieing. If you don't get targeted at all it can be used to fully heal partners and be immune to anything.

Hand of Protection - This is more like Divine Shield but for party members or for yourself if Divine Shield is on cooldown but you don't have the 2 minute debuff anymore. Be aware that this only protects from melee and can also be dispelled. The target can't use melee when affected by the spell.

Divine Protection - This can only be used on yourself and gives a 2 min debuff so only use when in trouble, have Divine Shield on cooldown and don't have the debuff.

Avenging Wrath - Use when heavy healing is required but be very careful cause you can't use Divine Shield, Divine Protection and Hand of Protection for the next 30 seconds. When getting targeted and being in the need of heals I would never use this when I don't have Divine Shield on cooldown. Use if for healing yourself if you still have the 2 minutes debuff or use it to heal others, maybe right after Hand of Protection that will get dispelled or later on if you think your partner will stay alive anyway. I wouldn't use it to heal a target that doesn't have the 2 minutes debuff because Avenging Wrath can be used even if he has the debuff unlike the other protective abilities. Use it against casters instead of Hand of Protection which won't help in that case.

Hammer of Justice - Use defensive to stun especially melee that is attacking you so you can cast Flash of Light without risk of interrupts and heal yourself + run away. Using offensive is better unless you really have problems. Stun healer when he is on low HP or if you want to kill dps then stun healer when dps is on low HP. Be aware of the stuns your partners can use and diminishing returns.

Hand of Sacrifice - If you see an enemy is in stealth at the start of a match, always run to the middle fast with your partners. Assume a rogue is in stealth and use this ability on a partner just before you get to the middle so a rogue can never sap you before you use it. In 3v3 try to use on the target that is likely to get attacked first, possible look who the other dps is targetting. The damage transfered to you will break the sap. If a rogue manages to get back in stealth then use it again if not on cooldown or you will get sapped. This will also work for any other CC that breaks when attacked, for example use it when a frost mage is casting Polymorph on you. If the opponents have no such abilities then you can use this ability to transfer burst to you and heal easier with Beacon up.

Divine Sacrifice - This can be used to break CC if Hand of Sacrifice is on cooldown. It will also reduce all damage taken to the party by 20% for 6 seconds due to the talent Divine Guardian. If you don't get attacked and you don't need it to get ouf of CC then it's a great way to reduce the chance your team will die.

Divine Plea - A way to get some nice mana back if you can't drink. Due to the 50% less healing you need to play defensive when it's up, go out of LoS and kite melee. Everyone should be at full HP before using. This can be dispelled so go out of range of disc priests and shammies, keep Sacred Shield on partner and try to drink at the same time if you get out of combat. Heal if required or even remove the buff so you can fully heal, a macro for removing it would be good.

Sacred Shield - This really reduces damage taken if it doesn't get dispelled. It also adds 50% crit chance to Flash of Light. If Flash of Light is used on person with Sacred Shield it will place a Healing over time buff healing that person in 12 seconds for the same amount as the Flash of Light healed. If it gets dispelled then don't keep buffing it, it costs way too much mana but rebuff it when a lot of damage is incoming, they normally don't instantly dispell it. If opponents keep switching targets then don't switch Sacred Shield each time, it's a method they use to get pallies out of mana. But if they stay long enough on the target it will be better for mana because you need to heal less.

Beacon of Light - This is not very useful in arena because mostly one player is targeted. Just buff this on yourself at start and rebuff later depending on your mana, don't rebuff if they can dispell. If your partner has 50% heal reduction on him and you heal him then only 50% will reach you through beacon. If your partner is full HP but you're not then just heal yourself otherwise heal your partner until he is full. Keep an eye on beacon to see if it's still active.

Turn Evil - If you have nothing more important to do then you can use this on a pet with the same cast time as Flash of Light. However don't use this if you have me or Rhorn with you, we automatically taunt all pets with macros so we can spam REVENGE!

Redemption - It would be nice if you get the chance but good teams won't allow you so forget it even with my haste I have 7 seconds cast time xD

Lay on Hands - Unfortunately can't be used in arena :P

Cleanse - Should be done with decursive. Polymorph, roots etc can be cleansed and should be as fast as possible even some slowing effects. Some damage over time can also be cleansed ans should be if you have some time. Against some classes like a DK it's no use cleansing because they just put the debuffs again, don't keep cleansing in such cases, it costs too much mana. Against some DoTs however it's better for mana to cleanse because you would spend more mana healing through it.

Gift of the Naaru - This racial heals over time depending on spell power, for me it healed almost 9k in 15 seconds when I was space goat. It can be used to heal some extra when required but you also have a lot of other useful abilities for this. Personally I think this is most useful when trinket is on cooldown and you get CCed while you or your partner is on low HP. A lot of CCs you can see beforehand because of cast times like some fears, hex etc.

Medallion of faction - To get out of CC if somebody would die otherwise, Divine Shield is also possible depending on the situation. Against a rogue, get out of sap like described before. If it fails wait to see if partners can survive without you oterwise trinket. I save trinket for when rogue does blind, if you have it on CD then at least make sure you can bubble (Divine Shield). In a long CC don't wait until your partner is almost dead because they will probably CC you again, the 2nd CC should be trinketed because it's shorter due to diminishing returns. Normally the 10 second CCs are most devastating.

Bluebell
Former Staff

Re: Holy Paladin PvP guide to abilites by Roel

#2 » Post by Bluebell » 12 Oct 2011 00:34

beacon is good in combination with divine sacrifice/hand of

and you forgot arcane torrent, silence + mana restore

and why not judgement of light? if I'm with a melee partner surely this is more useful than wisdom
Why join the winning side if you can change the winner?

Roel
Founder

#3 » Post by Roel » 12 Oct 2011 16:26

This is just a rough explanation of how I would do it and I never played Belf. Beacon often gets dispelled and you should easily win against teams that can't dispell. Judgement of light is not an option for me, the only teams that are a challenge are able to dispell which will make it a mana war. If you have problems keeping the team alive then get PvE offpieces, wrist, waist, feet, 2 rings and 2 trinkets is what I have PvE. I see so many healadins if not all of them failing in having too much PvP gear while not getting focused.

Bluebell
Former Staff

#4 » Post by Bluebell » 12 Oct 2011 20:40

Well then if your logic is don't use it cos it can be dispelled then why use wings, sacred shield, blessings, hand of sacrifice, hand of protection and so forth?

And how often do you melee your target not including using judgement?

How often does your melee partner who doesn't use mana?
Why join the winning side if you can change the winner?

Roel
Founder

#5 » Post by Roel » 12 Oct 2011 21:15

Most won't dispell instantly and most of those abilities have a CD so they are good for the duration. Beacon can be buffed at arena preparation but is too expensive to buff again when dispelled. SS is also expensive but is very important for surviving so I try to rebuff as often as possible and at the right moments, this is where mana is important. I melee most of the time and it gives a lot of mana, if my partner is dieing on me I won't waste a GCD for judging so he gets like 2% heal.

But just use what you want, this is just what I would do. Some even think Seal of Light with the glyph is better than wisdom :lol:

Anyway I don't play Holy in 2v2 anymore, Shockadin turns out to be way better for my comb and I am even experimenting with it in 3v3 as double healer. And yes as Shockadin I use Judgement of Light, Retribution aura and Seal of Righteousness (most of the time) because I can't go oom and only use instant heals.

VengGlad Bubblezqt

#6 » Post by VengGlad Bubblezqt » 27 Nov 2012 00:43

Most won't dispell instantly and most of those abilities have a CD so they are good for the duration. Beacon can be buffed at arena preparation but is too expensive to buff again when dispelled. SS is also expensive but is very important for surviving so I try to rebuff as often as possible and at the right moments, this is where mana is important. I melee most of the time and it gives a lot of mana, if my partner is dieing on me I won't waste a GCD for judging so he gets like 2% heal.
Good Holy Paladin will renew Beacon vs all enemies except dispelling classes such as priests/shamans.
Renewing SS on target which is getting dpsed is the most important thing,that way ur team wont get too much pressure and ull be able to handle it easier with healing...for any tip,just ask,am giving em for free..

Vaen

#7 » Post by Vaen » 27 Nov 2012 17:32

If your partner has 50% heal reduction on him and you heal him then only 50% will reach you through beacon
this is due to a bug, you actually are supposed to get 100% and your partner 50%
Vaen - Human Warrior
Verwandlung - Human Lock
Parallel - Human Priest

Follow me on Twitch

Pretor

#8 » Post by Pretor » 31 Jul 2013 14:18

Well, as you have Glyph of Seal of Light, you gain 5% + healing.
It's pretty better,in my opinion.

Roel
Founder

#9 » Post by Roel » 31 Jul 2013 14:59

Pretor wrote:
Well, as you have Glyph of Seal of Light, you gain 5% + healing.
It's pretty better,in my opinion.
Well this is a pretty old topic but I eventually switched to that. However it depends on the situation.