PVP or PVE realm - revisited

Have a suggestion for TrueWoW?
Ryuu

Re: PVP or PVE realm - revisited

#91 » Post by Ryuu » 05 Feb 2022 21:50

I vote for PvE, but that's primarily because of how I myself enjoy my WoW.

Whenever I'm out doing stuff like leveling, gathering materials or doing whatever, knowing that I can do so in perfect peace without being attacked out of the blue is how I enjoy my time the best.
In my opinion if PvP is what you want, you can always /pvp on while you're out and about and you'll always have a chance to get the PvP you want while those who don't care for it won't have to be forced into it.
"Esarus thar no'Darador. By Blood and Honour We Serve."

Morrigan

#92 » Post by Morrigan » 06 Feb 2022 17:01

I vote for PvP, because unlike what people think doing so won't mean you'll get hunted down by someone every single day, but if the server remains PvE it means nothing can happen organically from PvP world events to something as silly as big wars in the middle of nowhere because someone who got ganked called for backup - it's stagnation.
Besides if someone decides to push things too far the GMs can always intervene if they wish unlike in retail servers.

Gultrinian

#93 » Post by Gultrinian » 06 Feb 2022 21:21

Stay PVE!

blagovest_tonev

#94 » Post by blagovest_tonev » 07 Feb 2022 10:31

PvP
Morrigan wrote:
06 Feb 2022 17:01
I vote for PvP, because unlike what people think doing so won't mean you'll get hunted down by someone every single day, but if the server remains PvE it means nothing can happen organically from PvP world events to something as silly as big wars in the middle of nowhere because someone who got ganked called for backup - it's stagnation.
Besides if someone decides to push things too far the GMs can always intervene if they wish unlike in retail servers.
Couldn't agree more :tick:

jasiol

#95 » Post by jasiol » 07 Feb 2022 17:05

PvP

Bobins

#96 » Post by Bobins » 09 Feb 2022 11:56

As a final comment that may be of use, I'd like to point out a couple of things regarding PvP.

There seems to be quite a few people in favour of it in this thread, which makes me wonder why these guys aren't in the BGs? I rarely see it proc on my screen. If there is no motivation for BGs with the current group of "eagar" PvPers, then I have to wonder what outcome they are looking for with world PvP?

Calling for backup will not happen (not here), as most players will be guildless or from guilds where there's a copuple (if any) members online. The top 2 guilds, whoever, they are (hellraisers was mentioned), would go around killing with complete inpunity.

Shooting fish in a barrel isn't PvP either.

I know the PvP community won't like this post, and fair play. But I think it is accurate.

Dewbacca

#97 » Post by Dewbacca » 09 Feb 2022 18:20

Dymond wrote:
26 Jan 2022 23:31
skyx wrote:
26 Jan 2022 13:07
PvP

If I am super bored, I can log in and gank Ironman contenders because there is no decent PvP regardless of realm type.
That is just rude!
Indeed, but if we enable Pvp, it would be perfectly legal.
Tell me again, where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?
Stonetooth
Goodtooth
Bigabadaboom
Eugene
Eskignome
Ironmandan

cdark2

#98 » Post by cdark2 » 09 Feb 2022 18:54

Bobins wrote:
09 Feb 2022 11:56
As a final comment that may be of use, I'd like to point out a couple of things regarding PvP.

There seems to be quite a few people in favour of it in this thread, which makes me wonder why these guys aren't in the BGs? I rarely see it proc on my screen. If there is no motivation for BGs with the current group of "eagar" PvPers, then I have to wonder what outcome they are looking for with world PvP?

Calling for backup will not happen (not here), as most players will be guildless or from guilds where there's a copuple (if any) members online. The top 2 guilds, whoever, they are (hellraisers was mentioned), would go around killing with complete inpunity.

I know the PvP community won't like this post, and fair play. But I think it is accurate.
Bobins, I think it’s important to know how this discussion came about in the first place. This started because of the world event achievements. I requested that the ban for dual-boxing world pvp (killing your own alt, or cooperating with someone else) to get the achievement be relaxed during those few weeks of the event. Since the majority of people don’t care about pvp, the argument that people would cheat for rank or honor seems kind of silly. But, to remedy the issue, they have chosen to offer to make a drastic change to the server. (That's how I see it anyway.)

Original post from this topic:
“After discussing recent issues with PVP world events.” - Jiranthos

My original post: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40753

Keegz

#99 » Post by Keegz » 10 Feb 2022 09:31

cdark2 wrote:
09 Feb 2022 18:54
Bobins wrote:
09 Feb 2022 11:56

Bobins, I think it’s important to know how this discussion came about in the first place. This started because of the world event achievements. I requested that the ban for dual-boxing world pvp (killing your own alt, or cooperating with someone else) to get the achievement be relaxed during those few weeks of the event. Since the majority of people don’t care about pvp, the argument that people would cheat for rank or honor seems kind of silly. But, to remedy the issue, they have chosen to offer to make a drastic change to the server. (That's how I see it anyway.)

Cdark2 I think you miss understood Jiranthos. The post is about making server pvp or pve, not about dual boxing in events to get achievements. As it stands (from what I have seen) the dual boxing in events to get pvp achievements remains the same. It's not allowed. Which I agree on cause it has to be a challenge otherwise what's the point of the achievement.

Now Bobbins for me using that statement that people will be going around killing lower lvls on a low population server is abit strange as we all want the server population to grow. Generally I have noticed there are some kind souls on the server that will help out when there is a call on world chat.

In general, for me, this just a change for server status hoping to attract more people to join. As I can see it not much will change, other than more people joining the server. On final my final comment, who has time to gank low levels. When in doubt call world, there are some who will be willing to help and it's crossfaction you can always speak to the person.

cdark2

#100 » Post by cdark2 » 10 Feb 2022 21:16

Keegz wrote:
10 Feb 2022 09:31

"Cdark2 I think you miss understood Jiranthos. The post is about making server pvp or pve, not about dual boxing in events to get achievements. As it stands (from what I have seen) the dual boxing in events to get pvp achievements remains the same. It's not allowed. Which I agree on cause it has to be a challenge otherwise what's the point of the achievement."

Keegz, I really don't think I misunderstood anything. I understand that the post is about possibly changing the realm to pvp, (which isn't going to happen). However, it was my complaint about world event pvp (fyi: world event = Love is in the Air or Winter Veil) that led to me making a post. A week later Jiranthos opened this topic stating: "After discussing recent issues with PVP world events." Therefore, this whole thing started with my complaint. If you read my original post you will see the argument I made about how much more difficult it is on this server to get these achievements. No population = no battlegrounds; pve realm = no world pvp; cross faction = no pre-made battleground groups; no Wintergrasp. You said the achievement has to be a challenge, but it is certainly not how Blizzard intended it to be.

Bobins

#101 » Post by Bobins » 11 Feb 2022 01:19

cdark2 wrote:
09 Feb 2022 18:54

The issue you raised about the ability to complete achievements is not the problem. It's a side effect of the problem, which is is Player count.

A lot of the problems would go away if there were a thriving and growning community here. This in turn, would lead to more staff to manage and develop the server. When I joined this server it was pvp. I believe it was pvp for years. Making it PvP diidn't help grow the playerbase and it didn't help with achievements best I can tell. They made it PvE. Making PvE didn't change much either. PvP server are 10 a penny but PvE are pretty hard to find, and I've always wondered why the staff haven't exploited this aspect when marketing it.

In short, the achievement system is the least of the worries for the team here. They need to produce some serious content for Wintergrasp and any WotLK raids that are not fully functional (if any). It needs to compete with other servers and this would be the starting point, in my opinion. What about a pvp week, where the server is pvp for a week/day whatever? See if there's a drop in active players.

Even if all things were equal, killing a pvp player and killing a PvE player are not the same. A PvE'er is more likely to log out after being killed or avoid going to certain locations, which tends to ruin the game a bit for them.

Keegz

#102 » Post by Keegz » 11 Feb 2022 05:14

cdark2 wrote:
10 Feb 2022 21:16

Keegz, I really don't think I misunderstood anything. I understand that the post is about possibly changing the realm to pvp, (which isn't going to happen). However, it was my complaint about world event pvp (fyi: world event = Love is in the Air or Winter Veil) that led to me making a post. A week later Jiranthos opened this topic stating: "After discussing recent issues with PVP world events." Therefore, this whole thing started with my complaint. If you read my original post you will see the argument I made about how much more difficult it is on this server to get these achievements. No population = no battlegrounds; pve realm = no world pvp; cross faction = no pre-made battleground groups; no Wintergrasp. You said the achievement has to be a challenge, but it is certainly not how Blizzard intended it to be.
Cdark2, I can see where you coming from. As your complaint started the ball rolling on this topic but as Jiranthos stated, it had been "discussed". Therefore they have reached a verdict. Which I suspect they have decided to keep the status quo. That dual boxing is punishable for pvp events.
Your complaint brought forward, sparked this post with other members of the TW community, who have been asking it to go back to pvp.

Jiranthos
Admin

#103 » Post by Jiranthos » 12 Feb 2022 08:37

Dual boxing has been and will be illegal in PVP events. Even if the server would switch to PVP mode.

Anyway, locking the thread and tallying the votes.
Will add another comment after finishing here (and also editing the original post) with the results. Thank you everybody who voiced their opinion and glad to see it was kept civil!

Everybody knows that the best way to describe the ocean to a blind man is to push him in

Jiranthos
Admin

#104 » Post by Jiranthos » 12 Feb 2022 08:57

After tallying the votes and removing some who are level 1 accounts or players who haven't even logged in in years - the result ratio is 61% for PVE; 39% for PVP. The realm remains PVE with almost a 2/3 majority.

Everybody knows that the best way to describe the ocean to a blind man is to push him in