Have been asked to change the guild name

Step in and share ideas and experiences on in-guild and inter-guild relationships.
Stavromoon

Have been asked to change the guild name

#1 » Post by Stavromoon » 07 Dec 2018 20:03

One of my chars, Stavrosong, is the GM of [Blades of Honor]

Originally in this guild on a retail server.

I was contacted by the GM on the retail server who asked that I disband the guild or change the name due to possible "guilt by association" of being on a private server.

Is this a request that I can have handled?

Thanks,
Stav

Dreadnought101

Re: Have been asked to change the guild name

#2 » Post by Dreadnought101 » 07 Dec 2018 21:51

Pff, you dont see Method going around yelling at all the cheap knock offs. People arent dumb and can filter out different guilds from different origins anyway, as most look up the server first that the guild is on, as "Blades of Honor" is a very common guild name not just found on private servers.
Degaris
-
A wise man once introduced me to this game "It shall protect your virginity my lad." He said...

Stavromoon

#3 » Post by Stavromoon » 07 Dec 2018 23:03

Hey Deg, believe it or not there is a website - bladesofhonor.org - and they are somewhat organized.

I agree it is probably paranoia but hey - he's also a friend in real life so I don't want to cause excess drama. If it's an easy fix, why not do it?

Axis
Senior Game Master

#4 » Post by Axis » 08 Dec 2018 00:05

Hello Stavromoon,

Request denied.
You are free to disband and re-form the guild (either here or on Retail) if you believe it will cause issues.

We have never had issues with any guild here that shared the same or vaguely similar name with a guild on Retail.
Guilds exist here already, such as Ensidia, Paragon, etc, which have never had such issues (and both of those guilds existed on retail for some famous World-First achievements/kills).

Personally, I believe you and your friend are worried over nothing.
Guild by association implies you're committing a crime.
A violation of Blizzard TOS to simply connect to a TW/PW isn't a crime, just a bannable offense on Retail jurisdiction.
Hardly anyone is dumb enough to open a ticket on Retail to personally inform Blizzard regarding a guild that exists on a small private server (which also implies that person went on the private server's jurisdiction themselves to check).
Blizzard would rather just target the server itself rather than penalize or punish the related players on the Retail server.

Therefore, no change is needed here.
Now take a deep breath and play, free of worries.
ImageImageImage
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing.” - Edmund Burke.

Stavromoon

#5 » Post by Stavromoon » 08 Dec 2018 01:23

AT, you have espoused your philosophy and beliefs, but really given me no reason why you are denying the request. The founder of BoH, someone who I later met personally, asked me this favor.

What am I to tell him?

"Hey the guys on PW say you are worrying too much. Sorry."

Put yourself in his shoes. How would you feel?

I'm afraid I need some more substantial reasoning. Are you concerned about setting a precedent? What's the big deal?

Andromelech
Former Staff

#6 » Post by Andromelech » 08 Dec 2018 01:36

Hey Stavro , as Axistiger correctly put , as Guild Master in charge of Blades of Honor on our server you could disband and reform the guild as you see fit ... If you ask me they guys on retail worry too much ( and are fearful of smoke and mirrors ) .
While i understand your request ,by the rules we generally handle renames for guilds and Guild Master changing ownership of them rarely and only if the officers + gm is inactive for a very long time.
Out of curiosity why wouldn't you disband it tho ?

Axis
Senior Game Master

#7 » Post by Axis » 08 Dec 2018 01:40

First off, it's Axis.

Second, there is no philosophy or belief involved here. I stated facts and my personal opinion, based on experience.
It has never been an issue before, nor will be with circumstances such as those stated in the original post.

And finally, we would be swamped with requests to rename every guild, arena team, or character that was ever similar in name to ones on Retail if we were to grant this request (assuming if this was even an actual problem).

This is an open and shut case. You can solve this by disbanding and reforming your guild, if you feel it's necessary.
Finding 10 people to sign a new charter and using alt characters or the mail system (which has a 15 second delivery time here) to transfer materials between guild vaults and re-inviting all the players isn't an impossible task.
Tedious, yes, but not impossible, and thus - does not warrant intervention from the staff.

My supervisor, in the post above, is spot on about this.

Good luck.
ImageImageImage
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing.” - Edmund Burke.

Stavromoon

#8 » Post by Stavromoon » 08 Dec 2018 01:57

Andromelech.

We're a small guild. It's very rare that we have 10 players on line at a time, and there are currently 4 tabs in the bank.

It would be expensive in gold and time, trying to find people to sign the charter.

I was unaware that you are swamped with requests to change guild names.

I thought my friend had a reasonable request. It is apparent that you do not agree with me.

Not sure what to do at this point. I thought it was a simple matter of changing an entry in the database. I guess it is much more than that.

Arockalypse
Donor

#9 » Post by Arockalypse » 08 Dec 2018 16:32

Things always have to be complicated lol
Shadow Council of Hellraisers
TrueWoW member since 2010.

⌁ How the little piggies will grunt when they hear how the old boar suffered ⌁

Nyeriah

#10 » Post by Nyeriah » 09 Dec 2018 11:25

Can count on your fingers how many active guilds are there. Can’t really run the ball as if there were 500 players playing anymore. Should try to adjust the rules and help the ones still playing enjoy their experience. Renaming a guild is as effortless as running a command, no excuse except not wanting to. Matter of fact, there aren’t even any rules saying it shouldn’t or won’t be renamed under any reason.
“All your life, you will be faced with a choice. You can choose love or hate…I choose love.”
― Johnny R. Cash

:heart:

loveable4

#11 » Post by loveable4 » 09 Dec 2018 12:06

Nyeriah wrote:
09 Dec 2018 11:25
Can count on your fingers how many active guilds are there. Can’t really run the ball as if there were 500 players playing anymore. Should try to adjust the rules and help the ones still playing enjoy their experience. Renaming a guild is as effortless as running a command, no excuse except not wanting to. Matter of fact, there aren’t even any rules saying it shouldn’t or won’t be renamed under any reason.
Finally, Someone has reached the age of maturity here :tick: :tick: :lol: :twisted: Cheer

After 6 mutes, 3 in-game bans and a forum ban + multiple forum warnings for your behavior, you shouldn't be talking about maturity.
Your uninformative and off-topic post is neither wanted nor needed here.
Keep this up and your posting privileges will vanish again, very soon.
Either contribute to the topic at hand or refrain from posting.
- Axis
]I dont play wow anymore , just walking around
Ghost

Axis
Senior Game Master

#12 » Post by Axis » 09 Dec 2018 13:18

Just because it's easy to do doesn't mean it's the right thing to do here.
Granting this request means setting a precedent for all future trivial and whimsical naming issues which are all easily resolved by player actions, without the need for staff intervention.

And furthermore, Blizzard does not and will not have any jurisdiction here, no do Retail players, until the law says otherwise.

With that being said, this thread has already outlived its use. If an Administrator deems it fit, they will chime in.

End of discussion.
ImageImageImage

Jiranthos
Admin

#13 » Post by Jiranthos » 09 Dec 2018 18:18

I agree with the decision that has been made here by Axis. This is a non-issue. You shouldn't be worried about "guilt by association" on any level at all.

Everybody knows that the best way to describe the ocean to a blind man is to push him in