WorldDefense Channel

Regent
Tester

WorldDefense Channel

#1 » Post by Regent » 24 Jun 2018 08:58

Hi,

Regarding this issue: https://truewow.org/bugs/view.php?id=7109

I'd like to suggest that you please make it so that characters do not automatically join the WorldDefense channel.
Or, if it isn't possible, then disable the channel and remove it from the equation entirely.
It has been causing issues with the World chat channel for nearly a year now (or since whenever the "new" core was implemented on TrueWoW realm).

When you type a message in /world, it ends up being sent into WorldDefense, whether you wanted it or not.
This is especially true on a new character but applies to almost everyone that isn't aware of this bug.
What makes it worse is that unless you're actually aware of this channel, you won't even see where your messages went.
The only way to deal with this is by typing /leave WorldDefense then relog and typing /join World.
And for those who'd like to keep using the WorldDefense channel to monitor for World PvP (lol, what PvP?) it's required sto do the above procedure first upon every login with the added step of rejoining WorldDefense on top of it.

To be able to leave WorldDefense channel requires that you level up first to level 10 or 20, otherwise it's impossible to leave it as a new character. It isn't even visible in the Chat Channels tab in the Social window at before then.
I went ahead and made a new character to test this out for myself. At level 6, I found out that it's impossible to leave the WorldDefense channel unless I level-up more to be able to even view the channel in the Social window first.
Remember, not everyone levels at 3x XP to be able to quickly reach 10/20 to deal with this.

Quite frankly, one should be able to type /join World and chat away there without having to deal with this problem.

At this point, I've lost count of the number of people whose messages I keep seeing in the WorldDefense channel (which they intended for World chat). Some of them happen to be new people who end up getting the impression that the server has no global chat in-game as a result of this bug. Almost all of them are unaware that it's just a bug with the 2 channels conflicting with each other for whatever reason.
I attempted to address this here: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=39086
However, the fact that only a fraction of the in-game population reads the forums (mostly to make a new in-game account or to appeal a ban, or whatever) means that a lot of people are still unaware of the bug and most of them are unaware of the solution in that topic. Thus, the issue remains unresolved even now.

Rather than GMs or players having to deal with this regularly, just make it so that new characters (and preferably all characters, don't auto join this channel upon login).
If this is not possible, then please disable this channel entirely as World PvP is dead here anyway and this channel serves no purpose at the moment, other than causing a conflict with World chat channel.

Regards.
Rest in Peace,
Sarah Melody Jones.
May 20, 1989 - May 12, 2018.
Beloved Girlfriend & Mother-To-Be.
When I close my eyes, I see you.
When I open my eyes, I miss you.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Regent- - - - - - - - -Regentt- - - - - - - - -Regennt- - - - - - - - -Regency

Brennus

Re: WorldDefense Channel

#2 » Post by Brennus » 24 Jun 2018 09:21

I guess something needs to be done
+1
•     Currently No longer Once again retired (now it's for real)     •

FilipGaming

#3 » Post by FilipGaming » 25 Jun 2018 13:22

Brennus wrote:
24 Jun 2018 09:21
+1
/join Global? I hope the name of Global instead of World does not conflict with other channels. It's a hope. I'm not very sure about it.

Eronox
MVP

#4 » Post by Eronox » 25 Jun 2018 15:14

FilipGaming wrote:
25 Jun 2018 13:22
Brennus wrote:
24 Jun 2018 09:21
+1
/join Global? I hope the name of Global instead of World does not conflict with other channels. It's a hope. I'm not very sure about it.
both world and global is custom channels, your suggestion makes absolutely no change.

Fyi world is already used as global

I guess we'll revert the world defence autojoin suggestion, would however want to see more input on this subject.

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash

Nyeriah

#5 » Post by Nyeriah » 25 Jun 2018 16:05

Renaming world to “global” would be a terrible UX change :(
“All your life, you will be faced with a choice. You can choose love or hate…I choose love.”
― Johnny R. Cash

:heart:

FilipGaming

#6 » Post by FilipGaming » 26 Jun 2018 06:58

/World overlaps with /WorldDefence.
/Global overlaps nothing.

The only difference.

Eronox
MVP

#7 » Post by Eronox » 27 Jun 2018 12:50

True, but here in TrueWoW we fix things properly. ^_^
Stay tuned, top men on the case.

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.

- J.R Cash

Brennus

#8 » Post by Brennus » 03 Jul 2018 00:46

You guys are awesome!
Thanks.

Nyeriah

#9 » Post by Nyeriah » 05 Jul 2018 13:52

Hello,

There were some issues in the fix I provided but Noxies helped me addressing them so everything should be fine at the next update.

What happened here was that the server was scripted to select channels by part of their name. So when you sent a message to a channel named World, it would fetch the channel WorldDefense because it would come first in the list (built in channels come before custom channels as can be seen in the list in-game). This was case-sensitive, however, so "world" would pass just fine but "World" would give us issues. Yuck!

Thankfully there shouldn't be issues anymore the next time the server is updated. Channels will always be fetched by their full name and not part of it, as that quite doesn't make sense anyways.

Stay true,
Sarah
“All your life, you will be faced with a choice. You can choose love or hate…I choose love.”
― Johnny R. Cash

Brennus

#10 » Post by Brennus » 07 Jul 2018 06:17

Very nice, thanks for this :tick:
Much appreciated!!!

Kniteknite

#11 » Post by Kniteknite » 07 Jul 2018 16:01

brilliant ! ty :D
" French fries are like steaks, where the potato is the cow and gets cut up, like meat does, only on a smaller scale. "

Nyeriah

#12 » Post by Nyeriah » 07 Jul 2018 17:04

All the thanks goes to Nox :D
Wouldn't be able to do this and other countless things wasn't for him :)
― Johnny R. Cash

Eronox
MVP

#13 » Post by Eronox » 07 Jul 2018 20:39

moved to resolved

- J.R Cash