The death of Tw and the rise of Pw

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
andriuspel
Former Staff

Re: The death of Tw and the rise of Pw

#16 » Post by andriuspel » 23 Jul 2017 19:09

Last thing which killed tw pop was core change which introduced same issues which were fixed like years...

There is couple questions for staff.
  • Do you really think that auto rdf queue reset is good idea to avoid of real issue? it won't take lots of time to debug it...
  • When quests listed in qc lists gonna take attention?
  • Does crossfaction and unlimited hcs (rdf) really tend to fix pop issues?
  • Does custom fix at icc gunship for crossfaction where captains are'nt hostile makes me as exploiter?
And the main question
  • HOW do you plan to make gameplay better for newcomers and do you have any plans to increase pop at truewow realm whithout custom content/changes?
In addition
I personally know C#, C++, SQL programming, how i could help to fix issues? is there any sources?

My opinion.
I played many years on this server, i liked how community acted at that days but people got sick when: icc buff (dmg/healing/stam increased) was nerfed, custom features were introduced (many my friends left this server for example, because of crossfaction), when community was split when second realm appeared on low population. People got angry when there was no intent to debug rdf tool queues, when they had to wait for hours for gm which resets it. I remember serious issues like agroo range issues where you completely couldn't run out from enemy (luckelly it was solved). When staff opened wintergrasp on low pop, it totally messed up when control was on horde side (there was horde community bigger at that days cause one of biggest alliance guild left this realm), in addition it still is mess with exploits. Since pvp level was not equal, players started to quit this realm too (last change with crossfaction bgs is totally bulshit).
I see every of current new staff action is simply forcing tw to die... you guys simply had to rename this to primal wow and shutdown tw realm prolly... I'm still on tw realm because i want to help and i like these very few left players which are really friendly players :)
Last edited by andriuspel on 23 Jul 2017 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
A son asked his father (a programmer) why the sun rises in the east, and sets in the west. His response? It works, don’t touch!

Everyone says it's difficult to work with a person while they have a negative attitude or constantly exhibit uncooperative behavior.

Errorista
Issue Tracker Leader

#17 » Post by Errorista » 23 Jul 2017 19:24

andriuspel wrote:
23 Jul 2017 19:09

In addition
I personally know C#, C++, SQL programming, how i could help to fix issues? is there any sources?
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=16107

Faralion

#18 » Post by Faralion » 25 Jul 2017 02:43

Errorista wrote:
23 Jul 2017 19:24
andriuspel wrote:

In addition
I know MySQL/Apache and some Python. Any more learning materials for your core, specific or additional I won't mind chipping in. Aye, I see the above, anything extra to save reference searching?

Your link dates to 2015, is this relevant to your new core?

EDIT:

Always quite apt, at AWK, GAWK, SED, BASH and Pipe lining queries.

Errorista
Issue Tracker Leader

#19 » Post by Errorista » 25 Jul 2017 09:37

Faralion wrote:
25 Jul 2017 02:43
Errorista wrote:
23 Jul 2017 19:24
andriuspel wrote:

In addition
I know MySQL/Apache and some Python. Any more learning materials for your core, specific or additional I won't mind chipping in. Aye, I see the above, anything extra to save reference searching?

Your link dates to 2015, is this relevant to your new core?

EDIT:

Always quite apt, at AWK, GAWK, SED, BASH and Pipe lining queries.
there are few guides by Gnurg here: viewforum.php?f=102
more complicated ones are in Tester section only I am afraid

Faralion

#20 » Post by Faralion » 29 Jul 2017 04:25

Awesome... viewtopic.php?f=102&t=36903

Is just a very specific call/LOAD/SELECT/UPDATE instead of variables. You call mobs from database, mob id/type/race/faction and other...

Essentially you're scripting SQL instead of using other argumentative approaches.

Confused... Ever tried meshing these? Has it been done before? I'm sure many functions, or requests, can be off-loaded awk/gawk via ramdisk and piped too SSDs...

And of, course, have a delayed ramdisk mirror... Seems... like there can be a lot fo optimisation with new storage /read/write methods.

Nyeriah

#21 » Post by Nyeriah » 29 Jul 2017 05:22

Not a clue what you are talking about

Lhotsegirl
Donor

#22 » Post by Lhotsegirl » 19 Aug 2017 15:21

Hmmmm,

I have seen a decline on TW in recent months, and it has been sad to witness.

I started right from the Gaming Consortium before Truewow took it over, and my work life balance has probably made me the slowest leveller seen in all that time, but that doesn't worry me...

I might be accused of not thinking globally about the servers because I still have a level 74 priest that still needs to hit 80, that still needs to go through all the content to eventually farm ICC, but that is least likely to happen due to low population and the ever decreasing chance of those opportunities, so, the question is, is it really now worth investing further time in TW if those opportunities are lessened with little being done to improve it?

Thinking globally as I see it, respects both Primal and TW, equally, that means promoting both equally with staff who are dedicated to keep things going on both sides. If most staff focus on one server as a preference, it makes sense to keep staff on another server or at least boost those levels to maintain some form of 'global commitment' to ALL the servers.

It is more difficult for me to think globally because I still have to finish what I started out on TW, I still have to level an old toon to 80, something that seems may not be finished now due to low populations.

There does appear to be a slant, a large slant towards Primal. I'm okay with this, but it needs to be made clear, because as far as I understand from publicity posts by Roel on 14th July 2015 he quotes;
One day, PrimalWoW's progression will reach the end of WotLK so both realms will basically be the same. When this day comes, we will merge all characters from both realms into a single realm so nothing will be lost.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=15659

Therefore I considered it safe to continue to invest my time in levelling my toons on TW, but saddened with the server's demise.

With that in mind, the paradigm shift is this, perhaps I'm not actually the one that's not thinking globally?!!

So answer me this question, where do I now go with my level 74 character on TW that I wanted to have as a holy priest at level 80 in dungeons, heroics and raids.... a character that I have been levelling since Gaming Consortium days, or am I to think globally, which I always have done, and level a toon on Primal instead, with a move and a slant away form TW?

This isn't what Roel suggests on 14th July 2015.

I have always thought globally but I had personal priorities first with getting my first level 80.

Like most before me, I shall spend my next thoughts reflecting on my next choices and how I really want to enjoy my time. It's tough knowing how much time you've invested to make things work.

It's has been a good server, I tried a few others but never liked them. I stuck it out here or on retail. That has to be saying something.

In keeping things fair and global, I was keen and excited to promote a lot of time to preserve and rebuild TW, because efforts were seen to be spent on Primal... that is not a bad thing at all to have someone passionate to do that; so why appear to strive to dampen and take those passions away....?

BTW.. having a web server called truewow.org is exclusionary of Primal Wow and isn't thinking global either.

Best wishes.

Krystyna
RETIRED FROM TRUEWOW & PRIMAL
--------------------------------------------

IronSharona
Former Staff

#23 » Post by IronSharona » 19 Aug 2017 15:41

Lhotsegirl wrote:
19 Aug 2017 15:21
that means promoting both equally with staff who are dedicated to keep things going on both sides. If most staff focus on one server as a preference,
All staff members do work for both realms. There is disproportionately more work generating from Primal as a result of the population difference and progressive nature, which is what makes it appear that some staff do not touch TW realm. In reality, most if not all staff members are happy to help wherever they can.
Lhotsegirl wrote:
19 Aug 2017 15:21
BTW.. having a web server called truewow.org is exclusionary of Primal Wow and isn't thinking global either.
TrueWoW.org is our original branding. That is now considered our network. Just as other realms have completely different names from the server that houses them, we have a different network brand than all of our realm names. TrueWoW as a realm has stayed the same out of respect and homage to our roots, but understandably it could be argued that perhaps the realm should be something different entirely. If you think this would be beneficial please post to the suggestions forum with your reasoning and see what other players from the realm think. I'm sure there would be pros and cons in each direction and staff could have a hearty debate about it if there is enough interest in change.
Welcome to the new decade! Let's hope the Roaring 20's come with just as much jazz, but a bit less prohibition and Great Depression. 8-)

Bloodshade

#24 » Post by Bloodshade » 19 Aug 2017 16:59

IronSharona wrote:
19 Aug 2017 15:41

All staff members do work for both realms. There is disproportionately more work generating from Primal as a result of the population difference and progressive nature, which is what makes it appear that some staff do not touch TW realm. In reality, most if not all staff members are happy to help wherever they can.
Eh, sorry but this is pretty false, in the 2-3 months I played on TW after PW's release there was almost 0 attention to bugs on TW (talking about gamebreaking ones, not missing bread from vendor). Even if the realm was already on decline, bugs started piling pretty fast from updates/etc. and ppl got demotivated even faster to play there.

Ofc nowadays since no one plays on TW there's no point in spending much time on serious bugs.
- - -Wrathful chiken - - - - - Salty chiken - - -
ImageImageImageImage

Jiranthos
Admin

#25 » Post by Jiranthos » 19 Aug 2017 17:48

GMs have almost nothing to do with bugs and bugfixing.
Developers are scarce.

Everybody knows that the best way to describe the ocean to a blind man is to push him in

Eronox
MVP

#26 » Post by Eronox » 19 Aug 2017 20:40

atm it's like only me, Errorista, Docmin and partly Isha that plays with it.
Administrators are doing the development work regarding crashes or issues with truly urgent priorites.

I wouldn't call the TW realm to be neglected, but I would call the development team to be lacking as we are few

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash

Lhotsegirl
Donor

#27 » Post by Lhotsegirl » 19 Aug 2017 21:32

A dichotomy is when you have misdirected ideas that someone isn't possibly thinking globally about the wider picture of two realms, then admit there is a problem with the one realm that the said person understands has existed for sometime and then deny the support of such a said person who might possibly help with such a wider realm's development... The result being that there will continue to be a lack of a development team...

Hallelujah.....!!
Last edited by Lhotsegirl on 20 Aug 2017 01:27, edited 1 time in total.
RETIRED FROM TRUEWOW & PRIMAL
--------------------------------------------

Nyeriah

#28 » Post by Nyeriah » 19 Aug 2017 21:33

Buzz off

Kajel

#29 » Post by Kajel » 20 Aug 2017 03:04

So rude lately nyeriah...no wonder people leave cuz of the attitude around here.
#MyWorld
#JustinBieber
#Dudewitwings

Nyeriah

#30 » Post by Nyeriah » 20 Aug 2017 03:17

Someone went on a rant because they didn't get the answer they wanted to get. Ran out of my patience for drama and nonsense completely.

Not sure how else have I been "rude" to anyone "lately". But I would gladly have you point that out to me in a private message if you would like to express yourself.