Shadow priest current DPS state and expectations for TBC

shadowzip

Shadow priest current DPS state and expectations for TBC

#1 » Post by shadowzip » 02 May 2017 17:15

Hey guys,

Planning to roll SH priest and was wondering what are your current thoughts on it?

- Whats the current state?
- How would you see them in TBC given the available talent structure + gear?

Deim

Re: Shadow priest current DPS state and expectations for TBC

#2 » Post by Deim » 02 May 2017 18:00

They will certainly be more viable than they are now (less mana issues than during vanilla phase) however they will not be the top dps casters for sure. All classes should be more or less equal in dps outputs within safe +/-20% difference from the average.
PvP wise they should be as strong as they are now.
TrueWoW - Retired
PrimalWoW - Retired
Rest in pepperoni Crimson
RIP in pepperoni Aftershock
Spokesman of Aftershock in case of any questions/complaints hit me up in game or via PM.

Disclaimer: What I write on behalf guild doesn't always corelate with my own beliefs.

ccfus

#3 » Post by ccfus » 02 May 2017 23:22

+hit is #1 stat priority, followed by +sp

VT mana return (Replenishment) is currently slotted to be off. This revolves around healer balance, and is currently being discussed by the boys in blue.

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=37536 more info here.

Talent wise, unsure, but you can test things on the ptr: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=14675 for more info, as well as a link to commands that can be used for gearing and traits.
-Moral Orel

O:^)

Vaen

#4 » Post by Vaen » 03 May 2017 03:00

+hit is #1 stat priority, followed by +sp
This can be misleading. Hit is only worth as much as hit is worth, it has a value just like any other stat. Giving up hit for more spellpower may be worth it if your total spellpower isn't high enough. Getting to hitcap with certain gear may be a DPS loss and it was almost always the case for shadow priests in vanilla.

A good rule of thumb to find the value of hit is to consider spellpower to contribute to about 45% of your damage (this comes from modifiers), after this, you can find the additional DPS gained from 1 additional spellpower at a certain level X of spellpower and you can then compare it to the value of 1% hit (which is usually 1% more DPS).
Vaen - Human Warrior
Verwandlung - Human Lock
Parallel - Human Priest

Follow me on Twitch

ccfus

#5 » Post by ccfus » 03 May 2017 20:38

Excellent elaboration - too much hit can be a thing. I'm not sure how it will play out here with Wotlk client (little should change from 2.0 other than scaling and talents form what I've heard), but when gearing up @70 I'm not sure if you will be swimming in +hit; I played resto shammy back then.

As for your breakpoint rule of thumb, the values are new to me, granted I'm learning O:^) Are those from TBC era or Wotlk era "values"?

I got a bit lost in the word problem, so please correct me as I add some spitball numbers.

I think you're saying 45% is from +700sp for theoretical of "1555 dps", so how much +sp is equal to +hit, where 1% hit ~15dps (that seems... low XD I would think hit has a bigger impact, maybe my problem/bias)? Here, 123 hit (9.75%) is under cap of 126=10% (if not draeni ~138=11% is needed; talents give 6% hit). Say loss of 9 hit (~.71% would be ~11dps) would need a gain of only 6sp to offset? (1555-11)*0.45=694.8 ... is that right? OR do I need to start with the dps value and work from there?

Gonna play around on the ptr later to get better values, but I'm curious (and procrastinating hence the word vomit above) on applying this. Glad to have a discussion!
-Moral Orel

Demostrate

#6 » Post by Demostrate » 24 May 2017 20:27

Wasn't mind seer released during TBC, for shadow priest to receive an AOE, or will they still be a single target dps until 80?

skyx

#7 » Post by skyx » 24 May 2017 23:04

Mind sear was introduced in Woltk

ccfus

#8 » Post by ccfus » 24 May 2017 23:23

Mind Sear will be available at 70; not sure what level exactly.
-Moral Orel

Deim

#9 » Post by Deim » 24 May 2017 23:27

Rank one is 75, Rank 2 at 80
TrueWoW - Retired
PrimalWoW - Retired
Rest in pepperoni Crimson
RIP in pepperoni Aftershock
Spokesman of Aftershock in case of any questions/complaints hit me up in game or via PM.

Disclaimer: What I write on behalf guild doesn't always corelate with my own beliefs.

skyx

#10 » Post by skyx » 24 May 2017 23:36

ccfus wrote:
24 May 2017 23:23
Mind Sear will be available at 70; not sure what level exactly.
That would be retarded. Other class's lv 75-ish spells should be available at lv 70 too if that is the case.

Vaen

#11 » Post by Vaen » 25 May 2017 01:04

The 45% I calculated is for about 600-700 SP in vanilla gear, it should not be taken as a rule of thumb for the TBC phase.
Vaen - Human Warrior
Verwandlung - Human Lock
Parallel - Human Priest

Follow me on Twitch

Mizzeeh

#12 » Post by Mizzeeh » 25 May 2017 06:06

Priests will not have Mind Sear at lvl 70 as it's looking right now; it was thrown around early on as an idea to help make shadow a viable/good specc in TBC but the idea was abandoned after further tests and discussion.

ccfus

#13 » Post by ccfus » 25 May 2017 20:37

Mizzeeh wrote: Priests will not have Mind Sear at lvl 70 as it's looking right now; it was thrown around early on as an idea to help make shadow a viable/good specc in TBC but the idea was abandoned after further tests and discussion.
Ah - up to last weekend on the ptr it was available. Poor choice of words on my part to allude to the certainty of the future. Holy nova spec ftw!
Vaen wrote: The 45% I calculated is for about 600-700 SP in vanilla gear, it should not be taken as a rule of thumb for the TBC phase.
Cool, I need to spend a few hours on the PTR looking at this.
-Moral Orel