Primal Needs Aggressive Advertisement

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
moasi

Primal Needs Aggressive Advertisement

#1 » Post by moasi » 07 Dec 2016 20:54

Primal is, without a doubt, the best experience I have ever had with a private server. I just didn't make it that far until the population started dying off from 400-500 to barely hitting 150-200. I speak about the place as often as I can in as many relevant conversations as possible but I just don't see anything happening to bring the server up.

There should be a lot more push for the server considering it's in the last leg of Vanilla content and will be hitting Burning Crusade stuff relatively soon. Quest experience rates pushed up on weekends? Weekly reminders from the staff and other players along the lines of "Hey, this place exists. Come give it a shot." I've barely seen anything done about it since launch and most advertisements were from YouTubers.

I would honestly love to return here and have it be a worthwhile investment with a larger population.

Gnurg

Re: Primal Needs Aggressive Advertisement

#2 » Post by Gnurg » 07 Dec 2016 21:17

I have seen several posts on reddit's /wowservers, encouraging people to give it a go. Not many other arenas besides it and youtube we have to work with. Maybe TBC will bring new and old players?

The biggest problem right now is the hype around Nostralius, stealing all the spotlight for private servers in general. If we're lucky it's shut down once again, where we, this time, will be ready to accept potensial transfers from, unlike last time when we didn't have support to accept transfers.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

Flooded
Former Staff

#3 » Post by Flooded » 07 Dec 2016 21:51

We actually do post information about PrimalWoW a few places, but we cannot over do it because otherwise we could get banned from posting content.

We always could use the help of our players to get the word out there. If everyone brought just one person we'd have double the pop in a day. Its just a matter of putting forth the effort.

mcheka

#4 » Post by mcheka » 07 Dec 2016 21:57

+1000. And Primal still has a chance because TBC is around the corner.

Lack of aggressive advertising is by far the biggest problem of all for the "True/PrimalWoW family" of servers.

Not a huge contributing factor to TrueWoW's decline, as that was simply an aging server. I'm talking about lack of overall aggressive and offensive advertising during PrimalWoW's infancy -- it had so much potential, it was even mentioned by Dodgykebaab. Ditto for future, semi-announced True/PrimalWoW projects.

Unfortunately, there's no presence among the staff that is a hype machine, who will promote it shamelessly and to no end, even making fake reddit accounts and such just to shill the server. As a result, our server family doesn't get anywhere nearly the exposure it deserves.

I'll use some concrete examples. Dalaran-WoW. Progressive-WotLK with a specific ruleset. Is it because of this unique progression that it's so popular? Guess again. Dalaran hyped for several MONTHS (6-12) before releasing, posting content videos, shamelessly promoting itself on social media and with a very strong presence (to the point that it was downright rude) on the private server scene on reddit and other private server sites. The result? It had 1k+ people in the first week of launch, enough to have a self-sustaining hype train (with minimal additional input from the "hype staff").

Has anyone actually played on that? It's touted as the most Blizzlike server, the one with perfect mechanics, the one with perfect scripting. It's absolute rubbish compared to True/Primal: Before level 10, anyone who's played here will be cringing at the most basic bugs. Fast forward through the semi-painful vanilla+outland levelling which works "decently" even on stock TrinityCore, only to enjoy a Northrend experience where half the scripted quests are completely broken. Finally, you ding 80 and you're so excited... but wait... class bugs that were fixed 3+ years ago on TrueWoW are rampant there and haven't been fixed even by their larger dev team. The only advantage it has is that its scripting in the first 3 raids are a bit ahead of TW's, because that's all it focused on for years. Let's not even mention the gestapo staff or the unbelievably toxic community there. Every time I try to play on DW after hearing new hype... I quit within a week or two without fail. So why the hell is it so popular?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It's no secret by now (in fact it's semi-public, the staff don't even deny it in public) that the staff here has had plans to release a new WotLK server called Stormhold for at least a couple of months (that I know of). The staff have even disclosed this publicly to a subset of our population. A couple of months, and it's still almost a secret amongst its own community, let alone the private server scene. There's a barebones placeholder page (the design actually has potential) with no info, no media, and its last update being... 6 weeks ago? What the actual fuck????? It doesn't matter how amazing the programming will be on that server, if nobody knows about it.

This should have started being hyped MONTHS ago, with a fancy site, with YouTube videos, with tons of posts on reddit and even dirty tactics like going on other servers to hype it. Maybe this part of my post will get edited, but it applies just as much to PrimalWoW. Hype is everything if you want to build that initial population.

I understand -- there's nobody amongst the staff who is adept at this "hype" man role, either because it's morally reprehensible or because it takes special skills. I certainly would fail on both those counts, so it takes a special person (or people) to actually do this, and the staff here have not found that right person yet. Please, please, keep looking. Nothing is more important for the health of our family of servers.
Last edited by mcheka on 08 Dec 2016 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
Aurelian the Immortal
<Massive Forearms>
Danuvius of Inquisition

Gnurg

#5 » Post by Gnurg » 07 Dec 2016 22:31

Making some highlight videoes, showing off each encounter that you've raided throughtout vanilla might be an idea. It would be best if you stored up several videoes, captured by several players (I know Kurthos, Farlight and HamsterWheel streams, so they should have plenty of footage), so you get a broad perspective. Emphasis should be on capturing the fun, more complicated working boss mechanics and the advantages of having a WotLK client. Several videoes can be made, each for their purpose.

Once the TBC content is quality-checked, maybe we could make some videos from the more complicated on-release futures, like the chess-boss in Karazhan. Only a few servers have it working, not even us at the moment, so it would be

Having some limited xp-bonus to level 60 ahead of the launch might be an idea as well.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

moasi

#6 » Post by moasi » 07 Dec 2016 23:18

Flooded wrote:We actually do post information about PrimalWoW a few places, but we cannot over do it because otherwise we could get banned from posting content.

We always could use the help of our players to get the word out there. If everyone brought just one person we'd have double the pop in a day. Its just a matter of putting forth the effort.
The problem stems from not seeing enough from the staff and the lack of incentive to join the server outside of how unique it is.

Flooded
Former Staff

#7 » Post by Flooded » 08 Dec 2016 00:16

We aren't announcing our plans for our future projects quite yet. We know that some of you know and that's great. We do actually have a plan for hyping up our new projects, but we're not quite ready. We don't want to advertise a polished turd like other servers have done in the past. We want to advertise something we're proud to release. There's no sense in showing off if we're not going to be ready to release and we're not going to be one of those communities that rushes a server out the door to capture an audience temporarily. Expect more news soon though.

As far as advertising for PrimalWoW and TrueWoW goes, yes we obviously could do better. Its not always easy to advertise for a smaller server. You guys must be assuming that we have some kind of budget or we get paid to work on the server. We're all volunteers and work for free as a hobby; maybe even playing the game every once and a while. We each have our own skill sets and work on the server in our spare time. If someone for example was interested in making a video to promote our servers, that would be fantastic! Personally, its not within my skill set to make videos, but I would welcome anyone to the TrueWoW team who would be interested in making promotional videos.

If I were to post on the WoWservers subreddit more than I already do, I would get banned for violating their rules. I make a thread at least once a week promoting PrimalWoW/TrueWoW. I am also constantly posting comments to answer questions/correct misinformed posters.

If you guys want to post content/news posts to reddit/youtube for us, you definitely could and it would help immensely. This is OUR community, we can't do it alone!

Nyeriah

#8 » Post by Nyeriah » 08 Dec 2016 04:29

Flooded has done an amazing job promoting our server and keeping things together, I couldn't agree more with what he has said. Working on promotional content really is not easy, so we try to do our best at that.

Just a reminder about our graphics designer position: http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=36486 Having someone with such skillset in our team would greatly improve our potential.

mcheka

#9 » Post by mcheka » 08 Dec 2016 07:24

Really glad to hear you guys are aware of this and you're actively addressing it.

This is probably part of the reason primal is growing slowly but steadily.
Flooded wrote:We don't want to advertise a polished turd like other servers have done in the past. We want to advertise something we're proud to release. There's no sense in showing off if we're not going to be ready
I'm with you on this, and I'd be exactly the same. Sadly, this philosophy is a poor one in the private server scene.

Don't forget, our polished turd is better than other servers' Thanksgiving dinners.

The hype should start well in advance, even if it feels wrong to do so.
Aurelian the Immortal
<Massive Forearms>
Danuvius of Inquisition

moasi

#10 » Post by moasi » 08 Dec 2016 12:02

Nyeriah wrote:Flooded has done an amazing job promoting our server and keeping things together, I couldn't agree more with what he has said. Working on promotional content really is not easy, so we try to do our best at that.

Just a reminder about our graphics designer position: http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=36486 Having someone with such skillset in our team would greatly improve our potential.
I have a good few years experience with Photoshop and art in general. What assets, if any, would be provided for projects?

KohiiKaiju

#11 » Post by KohiiKaiju » 08 Dec 2016 12:28

moasi wrote:I have a good few years experience with Photoshop and art in general. What assets, if any, would be provided for projects?
"This - as every other position in our staff - is not a remunerated position."

Sorry, my man.

moasi

#12 » Post by moasi » 08 Dec 2016 12:39

KohiiKaiju wrote:
moasi wrote:I have a good few years experience with Photoshop and art in general. What assets, if any, would be provided for projects?
"This - as every other position in our staff - is not a remunerated position."

Sorry, my man.
Assets as in art assets.

Jiranthos
Admin

#13 » Post by Jiranthos » 08 Dec 2016 12:51

I'm guessing the idea is to have a person that loves arts or graphics around that will do logos, artwork, graphics for the server/network/us for free when the need arises. Similarly to how we have project managers (Admins), programmers (Developers), customer service (Game Masters) and other positions (like PR leader) already filled with unpaid enthusiasts. :)
Not only doing art on request, checking out current art and / or outdated art and making suggestions would be sweet.

Everybody knows that the best way to describe the ocean to a blind man is to push him in

Flooded
Former Staff

#14 » Post by Flooded » 08 Dec 2016 19:34

Jiranthos wrote:I'm guessing the idea is to have a person that loves arts or graphics around that will do logos, artwork, graphics for the server/network/us for free when the need arises. Similarly to how we have project managers (Admins), programmers (Developers), customer service (Game Masters) and other positions (like PR leader) already filled with unpaid enthusiasts. :)
Not only doing art on request, checking out current art and / or outdated art and making suggestions would be sweet.
Exactly. For example, I exist as a Public Relations Leader so that I can communicate the communty's needs/wants to development/administration and vice versa. A graphic design position would exist so we could say, "Hey, PrimalWoW could use a fancy new logo for a news post before the January release."

Fastor

#15 » Post by Fastor » 08 Dec 2016 20:26

l think he is asking what does admins want him to draw for server, not how will admins pay him.