Death threats => Ban?

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
Gnurg

Re: Death threats => Ban?

#16 » Post by Gnurg » 07 Dec 2016 23:06

This topic highlights the behaviour of the players who have been reported by Arnis, yet has gotten away with it. I am disgusted by them and don't really understand why such behaviour is tolerated at all (even if it's possible to ignore them).

Arnis is probably no angel himself, but if he received a ban for (empty) death threats, why is the reported harassment not dealt with?
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

arnis5
Banned

#17 » Post by arnis5 » 07 Dec 2016 23:10

Nyeriah wrote:The player was casting death threats against someone that lived close to them and apparently they potentially had a real life connection, as to know their real life names and where they lived. The player seemed really concerned about it so I advised him to inform the authorities about what had happened and told him I'd be passing the information to the rest of the staff so we decide what actions can be taken regarding this matter from our end.

The character from where these threats were cast belonged to player B while they allowed player A to use it to perform the act. It was imputed to player B equal responsibility for the act because it could only have happened with their consentment.

When the staff gathered to decide what course of action to be taken towards the defendant not only this occurrence was taken in account but the entire historic of violations the player has.
According to the offender(s), certain staff members have been, directly and in-directly, harassing them. What gives them the right to display similar behaviour, but yet get away with it?
Who are those certain staff members? And have you talked to those certain staff members about this? Or are you just casting accusatory illations without even checking the facts in beforehand? This is a rather presumptuous and irresponsible statement. If you're accusing someone like this you should have taken the care to get that covered. If you're convinced of your instance in the matter to this point I would advise filling a report to Roel.

All the way through the course of this process I had minimal involvement with anything that was done or decided. I simply said that something should be done about the matter and it shouldn't get away without a response because this extrapolates the lines of an internet troll, it involves people who live close and who knows what kind of people are out there.

I was responsible for enforcing the staff's decision and carried on with the bans of both players. At the time, I had no reasons to make an opposition to what the staff had decided.
Decision was made on statemens of 1 player? Hmmm. It's funny cause only thing I know is from wich country that person comes from not the name of city, not the number of his house or anything else. I know his real life name as he knows mines, there is 100000 people with same name in his country right? So why I wasnt even been whispered or PM-ed by any of staff members? Why would you trust to 1 person more than to another?
Arnis - Marksmanship Hunter PVE/PVP
Predatoor - Death Knight Hybrid Tank/Blood Dps PVE
Restoration - Shaman Resto/Ele PVE
Arniscat - Druid Feral Tank/Restoration PVE
Arnisrocks - Paladin Protection/Retribution PVE
Arnislock - Warlock Demonology PVE
Stanimalo - Rogue Combat PVE
Mazdean - Priest Shadow/Holy PVE
Pecaros - Warrior Protection/Fury PVE
Arniskhanna - Mage Arcane PVE
The Demonic Lord!
If you're going through hell, keep going.

Nyeriah

#18 » Post by Nyeriah » 07 Dec 2016 23:15

You can't highlight anything nor draw any line of comparison without knowing what these players that he has reported did and in what context was it done. What matters is that the whole thing is considered when taking such a decision and in this case it was decided that the threat shouldn't be ignored because they had a certain proximity.

Gnurg

#19 » Post by Gnurg » 07 Dec 2016 23:20

Nyeriah wrote:The player was casting death threats against someone that lived close to them and apparently they potentially had a real life connection, as to know their real life names and where they lived. The player seemed really concerned about it so I advised him to inform the authorities about what had happened and told him I'd be passing the information to the rest of the staff so we decide what actions can be taken regarding this matter from our end.

The character from where these threats were cast belonged to player B while they allowed player A to use it to perform the act. It was imputed to player B equal responsibility for the act because it could only have happened with their consentment.

When the staff gathered to decide what course of action to be taken towards the defendant not only this occurrence was taken in account but the entire historic of violations the player has.
According to the offender(s), certain staff members have been, directly and in-directly, harassing them. What gives them the right to display similar behaviour, but yet get away with it?
Who are those certain staff members? And have you talked to those certain staff members about this? Or are you just casting accusatory illations without even checking the facts in beforehand? This is a rather presumptuous and irresponsible statement. If you're accusing someone like this you should have taken the care to get that covered. If you're convinced of your instance in the matter to this point I would advise filling a report to Roel.

All the way through the course of this process I had minimal involvement with anything that was done or decided. I simply said that something should be done about the matter and it shouldn't get away without a response because this extrapolates the lines of an internet troll, it involves people who live close and who knows what kind of people are out there.

I was responsible for enforcing the staff's decision and carried on with the bans of both players. At the time, I had no reasons to make an opposition to what the staff had decided.
There was made an exception for this one case then. I don't think banning the player would prevent anything, in the scenario that these threats were real, so I would say the ban is questionable. Atleast it's been made clear what went down.

I would encourage the staff to tighten the chat moderation as I and many others don't enjoy a community, where it's perfectly fine to verbally harass a player over a longer period. As I already mentioned, I am disgusted by some of the statements in this thread and there are similir cases in game as well.

As for my empty accusations, it's based on screenshots taken by someone else than me. They could plausibly be fake and too personal, so I will leave it to them if they wish to share it or not. What makes me think they are fake, is that I wouldn't expect such behaviour from them, but I could always be wrong.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
KTHXBYE

benzviliran

#20 » Post by benzviliran » 07 Dec 2016 23:24

Enough all of you or... or i will go to roel house (north france) and i will just pull off the cable and all your characters will die!
I am the swarm

Mirramar
Donor

#21 » Post by Mirramar » 07 Dec 2016 23:38

Gnurg wrote: According to the offender(s), certain staff members have been, directly and in-directly, harassing them. What gives them the right to display similar behaviour, but yet get away with it?
Nyeriah wrote:Who are those certain staff members? And have you talked to those certain staff members about this? Or are you just casting accusatory illations without even checking the facts in beforehand? This is a rather presumptuous and irresponsible statement. If you're accusing someone like this you should have taken the care to get that covered. If you're convinced of your instance in the matter to this point I would advise filling a report to Roel.
"Who are those certain staff members?"
It is you, Nyeriah.

Nyeriah wrote:If you're accusing someone like this you should have taken the care to get that covered. If you're convinced of your instance in the matter to this point I would advise filling a report to Roel.
We did. Still have yet to find out what was decided about that though.

TW
Mirramar Twinflower Freia Umami Mirramancer Mirrawr Mirr Marisha Mirrage Miika Idilia Josefin Melrose

PW
Curry

Garadan

#22 » Post by Garadan » 07 Dec 2016 23:42

Bye lol
Garadan from Garadar.

Nyeriah

#23 » Post by Nyeriah » 07 Dec 2016 23:57

That's a reference to the American Horror Story TV show, it's a line from Jessican Lange in the first season. Not quite a threat. By the way, I take full responsibility for everything I have told you from my playing characters, but I really have no reason to discuss anything personal with you in the public forums.

That screenshot is completely out of context, too. Not even the full chat box show. only the lines that serve to try to impute anything against the player are displayed. Nothing of the damn long argument that was taking place.

arnis5
Banned

#24 » Post by arnis5 » 08 Dec 2016 00:08

Nyeriah wrote:That's a reference to the American Horror Story TV show, it's a line from Jessican Lange in the first season. Not quite a threat. By the way, I take full responsibility for everything I have told you from my playing characters, but I really have no reason to discuss anything personal with you in the public forums.

That screenshot is completely out of context, too. Not even the full chat box show. only the lines that serve to try to impute anything against the player are displayed. Nothing of the damn long argument that was taking place.
Same as the SS of whole argument that I had with that player and you got SS's only of some words not of full conversation. Does that puts us in same situation which means you should get ban aswell or I should be unbanned and play like you? Hmmmmm
Arnis - Marksmanship Hunter PVE/PVP
Predatoor - Death Knight Hybrid Tank/Blood Dps PVE
Restoration - Shaman Resto/Ele PVE
Arniscat - Druid Feral Tank/Restoration PVE
Arnisrocks - Paladin Protection/Retribution PVE
Arnislock - Warlock Demonology PVE
Stanimalo - Rogue Combat PVE
Mazdean - Priest Shadow/Holy PVE
Pecaros - Warrior Protection/Fury PVE
Arniskhanna - Mage Arcane PVE
The Demonic Lord!
If you're going through hell, keep going.

Arockalypse
Donor

#25 » Post by Arockalypse » 08 Dec 2016 00:12

arnis5 wrote:Same as the SS of whole argument that I had with that player and you got SS's only of some words not of full conversation. Does that puts us in same situation which means you should get ban aswell or I should be unbanned and play like you? Hmmmmm
Did you not use to do that ? ^_^
Shadow Council of Hellraisers
TrueWoW member since 2010.

⌁ How the little piggies will grunt when they hear how the old boar suffered ⌁

Gnurg

#26 » Post by Gnurg » 08 Dec 2016 00:20

Nyeriah wrote:That's a reference to the American Horror Story TV show, it's a line from Jessican Lange in the first season. Not quite a threat. By the way, I take full responsibility for everything I have told you from my playing characters, but I really have no reason to discuss anything personal with you in the public forums.

They did not get any response from their report, where I presume this picture was presented. A response like this one would have been good, but leaving it unresponded might have given the impression that their voice isn't heard. On top of that, someone else reporting them for what they would consider an equal case, resulting in a quick and hasty ban. I believe most would feel that the staff worked against them, if they were in Arnis/Mirra's shoes.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
KTHXBYE

Flooded
Former Staff

#27 » Post by Flooded » 08 Dec 2016 00:22

This thread has caused enough drama today. If you have further issues with one another please handle it in private message as it seems you're not really accomplishing anything by discussing it openly. We allowed the thread to remain open, but discussion has derailed into nastiness.

Locked :)