TW version of Void Storage

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
Fastor

TW version of Void Storage

#1 » Post by Fastor » 12 Nov 2016 10:14

This tool http://www.truewow.org/support#ir is limited to 30days and contains all items that were sold/lost/deleted and is limited to 30days (idk why).

Suggestion is to make copy of that tool but instead filling list with sold/lost/deleted items, to make it filling its list with items SOLD TO SPECIFIC NPC. That NPC would be called Void Storage and would stand next to other transmog NPC. When you need item back, you go to this site and select item which you want back and get it via mail.

So in short:
  • -Add custom NPC that is visible on .settings transmog on just like other NPC.
    -Add custom Item Restore list that collect items that are sold to that NPC.
    -Procedure of restoring items should be same as Item Restore.
    -Add tool similar to Item Restore called Void Storage on website.
    -That tool should use that custom Item Restore list which gathers items from NPC.
    -All restoration procedures should be same as Item Restore.
    -There should be no 30days limit or any limit at all.
This is secondary solution to this problem http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35577

Gnurg

Re: TW version of Void Storage

#2 » Post by Gnurg » 12 Nov 2016 10:50

Storage limitation is part of the game.

HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

Fastor

#3 » Post by Fastor » 12 Nov 2016 13:41

Gnurg wrote:Storage limitation is part of the game.

If that is how you see this, then might as well remove transmog. This suggestion is improvement of transmog.

Relina

#4 » Post by Relina » 12 Nov 2016 13:48

+1 as long as its limited to the current max storage option on retail, which is 160 slots I believe. And a few more restrictions wouldn't hurt either to make it more like how Void Storage is on retail.
Truewow: Retired for now.
Peace - Lvl: 80 Paladin

Primalwow: Retired for now.
Relina - Lvl: 70 Paladin

I'm willing to become a stone bridge.
Just...
to catch a glimpse of you passing by.

Fastor

#5 » Post by Fastor » 12 Nov 2016 14:06

Relina wrote:+1 as long as its limited to the current max storage option on retail, which is 160 slots I believe. And a few more restrictions wouldn't hurt either to make it more like how Void Storage is on retail.
Can you tell full list?

Gnurg

#6 » Post by Gnurg » 12 Nov 2016 14:15

Would you use this even if it had a fee?

Here's the video on Void Storage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHaYJ80E-38

1. Soulbound
2. Repaired items only
3. Enchants and gems will be removed
4. Non-stackable items.
5. Fee on storing items, opening fee.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

Doctor_J
Developer

#7 » Post by Doctor_J » 12 Nov 2016 14:25

Well rules for void storage on retail are wierd

it costs 10g per item to deposit items into void storage and nothing to retrieve items you cannot put unique or unique-equipped items into void storage which means a lot of rings, necks and trinkets cannot be placed into void storage also stackable items cannot be deposited but some items other than gear ie toys, novelty items can as long as they are not unique or stackable.

Nyeriah did mention another possibility somewhere (cant remember) similar to the transmog changes which happened on retail at start of legion where by when you receive the item its appearence gets added to list of allowed appearences for each slot on your character but this would need considerable coding too since as well as adding appearences when you obtain a new item it also needs to remove appearences in certain circumstances ie you return a item to a vendor for a refund of item within the 2 hours for ingame currency, or you trade a item which dropped from a boss to another elegible player within time allowed, appearence does not get removed if you disenchant,destroy or sell to vendor for gold.

and even though I dont do c++ or code websites I somehow imagine adding appearences would be easiest to code out of thw two the other been void storage which dont know if could even be coded in 3.3.5 due to limitations of the cient ie no support for such features.

Fastor

#8 » Post by Fastor » 12 Nov 2016 15:33

Gnurg wrote:Would you use this even if it had a fee?
That sarcasm?
1. Soulbound
4. Non-stackable items.
l trust script could be made that narrow down to Bindable Armors and Weapons which player can use. Bindable as BoA, BoE, BoP since that part is already written in item database.
2. Repaired items only
Um, not sure even should be bothered with it. Price of retrieving is VP so its already expensive.
3. Enchants and gems will be removed
Same as current Item Restore so its np.
5. Fee on storing items, opening fee.
We have fee on retrieving items from Item Restore and its 10VP, l see no point on changing it. As for fee on storing, well that is now complicated. Also we could skip that one and increase retrieving to 15vp, that way devs dont need to bother with coding.

[hr=5][/hr]
Doctor_J wrote:it costs 10g per item to deposit items into void storage and nothing to retrieve items
We could do opposite, pay with VP when retrieve.
you cannot put unique or unique-equipped items into void storage which means a lot of rings, necks and trinkets cannot be placed into void storage
That one is weird and l have no comment.
also stackable items cannot be deposited but some items other than gear ie toys, novelty items can as long as they are not unique or stackable.
l already explained that one, just Bindable Weapons and Armor.
[hide]Nyeriah did mention another possibility somewhere (cant remember) similar to the transmog changes which happened on retail at start of legion where by when you receive the item its appearence gets added to list of allowed appearences for each slot on your character but this would need considerable coding too since as well as adding appearences when you obtain a new item it also needs to remove appearences in certain circumstances ie you return a item to a vendor for a refund of item within the 2 hours for ingame currency, or you trade a item which dropped from a boss to another elegible player within time allowed, appearence does not get removed if you disenchant,destroy or sell to vendor for gold.

and even though I dont do c++ or code websites I somehow imagine adding appearences would be easiest to code out of thw two the other been void storage which dont know if could even be coded in 3.3.5 due to limitations of the cient ie no support for such features.[/hide]
Tooooooooo complicated even to understand let alone how to code even if possible (and if you Dev doubt it is, then it is not). Better forget that one.

Also, before any misunderstanding, l dont think or consider that we need to have lookalike bank window like there is on Retail, l just think we are ok with Vendor where you can sell all items that you can place on Transmog list.

Eronox
MVP

#9 » Post by Eronox » 12 Nov 2016 16:09

-1, the whole idea about restoring sold items is dumb imo

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash

Fastor

#10 » Post by Fastor » 12 Nov 2016 16:17

Eronox wrote:-1, the whole idea about restoring sold items is dumb imo
You consider idea of using Item Restore tool as solution for Void Storage dumb because you need to sell item first or you consider dumb having Void Storage at all.

Longi

#11 » Post by Longi » 12 Nov 2016 21:45

+1 like 2-3 years ago ...
today, when I have deleted most of items and I am damn lazy to get them again -1 :D
.... anyway idea is good, ... so I ll stay neutral

Brennus

#12 » Post by Brennus » 15 Nov 2016 21:36

This idea is simply brilliant. It's also better than http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35577.

However
Fastor wrote:
  • -There should be no 30days limit or any limit at all.
Relina wrote:+1 as long as its limited to the current max storage option on retail, which is 160 slots I believe. And a few more restrictions wouldn't hurt either to make it more like how Void Storage is on retail.
I loved your idea. Really.
Still, this is very vulnerable to abuses, in my opinion.

For example, requiring that the item to be already soulbound before the NPC buys it, limiting the total storage to something around 160 like Relina said (should be less in my opinion), and other stuff like that.

Also, restoring the chosen item via mail is not optimal because e.g. BoE item will be unbound to you, so you can use the same BoE for transmogging all your toons and still be able to auction the item.

More limits should be added before implementing such feature. So, -1 for now.
Changed my mind: +1.

Also, about the 30-day limit, it exists because according to Nyeriah, the table that stores the Item Recovery stuff is something like
Item entry, owner identifier, item identifier, date, method, costs, and key identifier
If you think about it, for every item you may restore there is something like 30 bytes of data or so.
It seems small, but, multiplied by the number of existing characters (286502 as of this writing), and that amount multiplied by the total amount of items a single person sold/destroyed in the last 30 days (may vary, I had around 215 on my main, people who play everyday WILL have way more than that) results in something like 2 GB (for each backup).

If you consider that the average of items people can restore is 500, then the size of EACH backup doubles.

Remember I'm not a staff member and I can't check this information, but I believe the numbers should be even higher than that.
Last edited by Brennus on 17 Nov 2016 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
•     Currently No longer Once again retired (now it's for real)     •

Fastor

#13 » Post by Fastor » 15 Nov 2016 21:58

About soulbound l already gave similar solution and that is that only items that player can use could be placed, just like that fail safe method where you get mail "there was problem with your bags, here are your items" and all items are soulbound.

30days or any time is really out of question. However lowering from 160 to 100 is also possible.

Having date in item log could be of sorting items by date on list. Also as of this moment IR works constantly, writing down every single item that player remove from bag on any way which would not be case with VS. On VS you will only have few items due to two reasons, first one only online players that use Transmog would use it, that is big difference comparing to every single player in game. Second reason is that people wont use it much aka to fill all 160slots instantly, across all characters. l trust they will just fill items that they want to keep out of bank which if we say its 6 full sets, that means about 100 items, way less than currently in IR. Therefore memory used for VS wont be huge (doubt even 1GB).

Brennus

#14 » Post by Brennus » 16 Nov 2016 15:54

Fastor wrote:30days or any time is really out of question.
Fastor wrote:On VS you will only have few items due to two reasons, first one only online players that use Transmog would use it, that is big difference comparing to every single player in game.
I was just trying to answer your question regarding the IR 30-day limit.
I agree with you about VS not having this kind of limit.

I just said that other limits (like total storage, item quality, soulbound, etc) would do more good than harm.
This is just to make sure bankers are not VSing their 234998302309 stacks of Arctic Fur/Titanium/Frostweave/whatever.

Fastor wrote:Therefore memory used for VS wont be huge (doubt even 1GB).
Hmm, you are probably right.

Fastor wrote:About soulbound l already gave similar solution and that is that only items that player can use could be placed, just like that fail safe method where you get mail "there was problem with your bags, here are your items" and all items are soulbound.
This is the thing. Are you sure it can be implemented like that?
If this thing can be made just like you said and BoE items are not being unbound, I'm reconsidering my vote and supporting this.
•     Currently No longer Once again retired (now it's for real)     •

Fastor

#15 » Post by Fastor » 17 Nov 2016 16:24

WTF l though l answered this. Anyway.
Brennus wrote: I was just trying to answer your question regarding the IR 30-day limit.
I agree with you about VS not having this kind of limit.

I just said that other limits (like total storage, item quality, soulbound, etc) would do more good than harm.
This is just to make sure bankers are not VSing their 234998302309 stacks of Arctic Fur/Titanium/Frostweave/whatever.
Oh, ok so this was misunderstood. Sorry.
This is the thing. Are you sure it can be implemented like that?
If this thing can be made just like you said and BoE items are not being unbound, I'm reconsidering my vote and supporting this.
Well, as l remember when we started transfering people from omega, they were getting their items via mail and if someone had BoE item like 264 shoulders, they would lose their bound. So to counter that they set all items from mail to be soulbound. (Devs correct me if lm wrong).

That being said, rule could be put as:
"All Gear Equipment that player can Use and be Binded to him could be set on list, and all items that are retrieved are received by mail Soulbounded".