[PW] Everything you ever wanted to know about retail Transfers

Newcomers of all levels are welcomed with their questions. There are always helpful and knowledgeable people ready to share some of their wisdom.
candre23
Donor

[PW] Everything you ever wanted to know about retail Transfers

#1 » Post by candre23 » 17 May 2016 16:24

There is a lot of information about retail transfers on the forum, but it's spread out in a dozen different threads, and not entirely complete. This is an attempt to consolidate all that info in one place so everybody can understand the process and know exactly what they're going to get.

The transfer request requirements and application process are already explained in great detail here and here, so I won't go over those again. The key points are that you need to have a lvl100 toon on retail, and it can't be a DK. You don't need to have an active subscription - you can log into the battle.net website and the game itself in "starter mode" to get to the character selection screen even if your retail account is inactive, and take the required screenshots.

If you want a faction/race change, you need to specify this in your submission. Read the guide I linked above for specifics. If your race/class/faction combo isn't valid for vanilla, you will automatically be given the option to select a new combo on first login. The only thing you can't change is your class - unless you're a monk, in which case you have to change it. In this case, specify your desired class in your transfer application per the guides linked above.

After you hit the submit button, there will be a green notification at the top right portion of the page that says "Your request has been submitted" or something of that nature. There is no other notification, and there's no place to check on the progress. The review process can take anywhere from a few minutes to a couple days, depending on how backed up they are. If you don't get a response after 4 days, try submitting it again. Sometimes the transfer requests get lost in the shuffle (mine did).

When your request is reviewed and either approved or denied, you will get a PM on the forum notifying you of the decision. If it's denied, hopefully they provide a reason and you can resubmit an application with the necessary changes. If it's approved, you can log into the game with your cookie-cutter lvl60 toon.

Your transferred toon will have a randomly-generated name and appearance. There will be a button next to it on the character select screen that will allow you to change these features before you log in for the first time.

Your fresh 60 will be in its race's starting zone. Here's what it will have:
  • The blue PvP set for your class/faction (with 0 durability)
    Equivelent (ilvl63) PvP belt, neck, rings, and weapon
    4 runecloth (14 slot) bags
    All weapon proficiencies available to your class maxed at 300
    500G
And that's it. You will have no trinkets, professions, or trained spells/abilities. Your talent tree will be blank. You will not have discovered any zones or FPs. You won't have a mount or riding skill. Your reputations will be at the default/starter level for your race, and the only achievements you get are the ones for hitting every 10 levels through 60. Your hearthstone will be set for the newbie zone that you're standing in, so you will need to run to the nearest city the old fashioned way. Any class abilities that come from quests instead of the trainer (druid bear form, some warlock demons, etc) will require finding and completing those quests.

I think that covers all the details. While you are getting a "free 60", you still have a lot of work to do just to get up to speed. Simply buying all your class abilities from the trainer will eat about half of the 500G you start with, and running all around the world on a lvl40 mount to get FPs will keep you busy for a while. The blue PvP gear is sufficient to start running 5-man dungeons, but you'll need to do plenty of gearing up to get into a raid group.

Have fun!

Kindzadza
Former Staff

Re: [PW] Everything you ever wanted to know about retail Transfers

#2 » Post by Kindzadza » 17 May 2016 17:55

Made this sticky. Thanks.

Mortium

#3 » Post by Mortium » 17 May 2016 18:34

Very informative, good job!

Vuudar

#4 » Post by Vuudar » 18 May 2016 08:42

I was wondering, why does it have to be a lvl 100 char on retail, for a transfer to PW?

I stopped playing my account near the end of Cata. So either i start new on PW or lvl a char to 100 on retail...

Hairbrush

#5 » Post by Hairbrush » 18 May 2016 16:42

The reason I've seen was that it takes roughly the same amount of time to legitimately level up to 100 currently on Retail as it does to level to 60 currently on Primal.

Ofc I've seen a video of someone who leveled up to 100 in just under 5 hours. Soooooooooooo.

candre23
Donor

#6 » Post by candre23 » 18 May 2016 19:35

Hairbrush wrote:The reason I've seen was that it takes roughly the same amount of time to legitimately level up to 100 currently on Retail as it does to level to 60 currently on Primal.
Yes, that's the official justification. I don't necessarily agree with the lvl100 requirement either, but that's what management has decided on, so that's what it is.

Shunin

#7 » Post by Shunin » 05 Oct 2016 22:34

Are boosted characters frowned upon in PW? I'm just starting my character today so if I level naturally I won't be 60 until the end of December roughly, which I'd then need time to gear up so I can get into naxx. So boosting seems like a solution... But at the same time I don't want to be a cast out because I boosted, just looking for some info on what the community thinks of boosted players in PW:)

Nymunne
Former Staff

#8 » Post by Nymunne » 05 Oct 2016 22:44

Shunin wrote:Are boosted characters frowned upon in PW? I'm just starting my character today so if I level naturally I won't be 60 until the end of December roughly, which I'd then need time to gear up so I can get into naxx. So boosting seems like a solution... But at the same time I don't want to be a cast out because I boosted, just looking for some info on what the community thinks of boosted players in PW:)
Since you posted in a transfer topic I'll answer you on that. You are free to boost your retail character. For any other private server the boosting won't do you much as there are criterias you need to meet.

Shunin

#9 » Post by Shunin » 05 Oct 2016 23:50

Sorry I don't know what you're talking about:/ I know I have to meet criteria and go through the the process of boosting my retail character on to primal... My question is, if my character will instantly gain a negative reputation on the server if I was to transfer from retail... More wondering how the community feels about transfer players :) I will more than likely level naturally but just wanted to ask about the retail to PW transfers:)

milanlord

#10 » Post by milanlord » 06 Oct 2016 00:08

Shunin wrote:Sorry I don't know what you're talking about:/ I know I have to meet criteria and go through the the process of boosting my retail character on to primal... My question is, if my character will instantly gain a negative reputation on the server if I was to transfer from retail... More wondering how the community feels about transfer players :) I will more than likely level naturally but just wanted to ask about the retail to PW transfers:)
You have no reason to be afraid, that you will be rejected in the eyes of community, just cause you transferred from retail, there is nothing wrong with that. You are not the first and probably won't be the last one who did that :)
Retired - Sadly I can't agree with cf bg's being a good choice for the server. The only thing we got with this feature is less bg's nowadays and less people online and I can't participate in this big mistake.

Shunin

#11 » Post by Shunin » 06 Oct 2016 00:18

Perfect, thank you very much for your replies:) I remember when I started retail in TBC it took me for ever to get to max level haha wasnt looking forward to that experience again:P

Darqonus16

#12 » Post by Darqonus16 » 24 Nov 2016 05:10

How many "transfer" characters are we allowed to have?

Eronox
MVP

#13 » Post by Eronox » 24 Nov 2016 09:44

What if I wanted to transf my DK :(
Darqonus16 wrote:How many "transfer" characters are we allowed to have?
One

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash

Owlcapwn

#14 » Post by Owlcapwn » 24 Nov 2016 10:14

Darqonus16 wrote:How many "transfer" characters are we allowed to have?
Two. One char on primal, one on truewow.

Dymond
Senior Game Master

#15 » Post by Dymond » 24 Nov 2016 14:59

In fact only one is possible at this time.
"Grief is the price we pay for love."