How to manually Install AddOns

arnis5
Banned

How to manually Install AddOns

#1 » Post by arnis5 » 06 May 2016 10:37

Introduction
Installing addons manually is not always an easy process, so this guide is created to help you along the way.
You must first exit "World of Warcraft" completely. You can install addons while being logged into the game, but they do not load until you have exited the game and logged back in.

Downloading the AddOn
Make a folder on your desktop called "My AddOns"
Download the World of Warcraft AddOn you want to install and save the compressed files (.zip, .rar, etc.) to this folder.
*Make sure you download 3.3.5a Addons for Wotlk else your addon wont work.*
Usually when you download a file it will give you a popup asking if you want to open it or download it. You want to download it. If you are not given this options try right clicking on the link and "Save As..." or "Save Target As".

Extracting the AddOn
Extract one addon at a time so that you can keep track of them, and you don't accidently put files where they shouldn't go >.<

Windows
Windows XP/7/8.1/10 has a built in ZIP extractor. Double click on the file to open it, inside should be the file or folders needed. Copy these outside to the "My Mods" folder.
7-Zip: Right click the file, 7-Zip, select "Extract Here"
WinRAR: Right click the file, select "Extract Here"
WinZip: You MUST make sure the option to "Use Folder Names" is CHECKED or it will just extract the files and not make the proper folders how the Authors designed

Mac
StuffitExpander: Double click the archive to extract it to a folder in the current directory.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The AddOn will extract into a folder (or folders) with a name or subnames of the addon. For example, DBM has 14 folders once extracted. They are all marked DBM- _____. Do not merge these folders or move any files out of one and into another.

Verify your WoW Installation Path
This is the location of where you have installed World of Warcraft to. By default, for Windows, it is:
C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\
or
C:\Users\Public\Games\ World of Warcraft\

However, some people have their harddrive partiant or have multiple drives so World of Warcraft may be installed on a different pathing.

For Mac, you will use this location:
Macintosh HD/Applications/World of Warcraft/

Install the AddOns
Open your World of Warcraft folder that you found above.

Go into the "Interface" folder > "AddOns" folder.
Open the "My AddOns" folder and move the extracted folders (example DBM-Brewlers) from your "My AddOns" folder into the "AddOns" folder.

Making sure AddOns are Installed
Start World of Warcraft and log in.
At the Character Select screen, look in lower left corner for the "addons" button.
If button is there: make sure all the mods you installed are listed, and make sure "load out of date addons" is checked (located towards the top).
If the button is NOT there: means the addon did not install properly.
Log out of WoW and double check to make sure you copied over the addon file to the correct folder.
If you still got the problem with installing addons then you might wana try use Curse Client v5 to install your addons.
Last edited by arnis5 on 06 May 2016 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
Arnis - Marksmanship Hunter PVE/PVP
Predatoor - Death Knight Hybrid Tank/Blood Dps PVE
Restoration - Shaman Resto/Ele PVE
Arniscat - Druid Feral Tank/Restoration PVE
Arnisrocks - Paladin Protection/Retribution PVE
Arnislock - Warlock Demonology PVE
Stanimalo - Rogue Combat PVE
Mazdean - Priest Shadow/Holy PVE
Pecaros - Warrior Protection/Fury PVE
Arniskhanna - Mage Arcane PVE
The Demonic Lord!
If you're going through hell, keep going.

mcheka

Re: How to manually Install AddOns

#2 » Post by mcheka » 06 May 2016 15:42

Nice guide Arnis! One thing to maybe remind people of in your guide, is that if it doesn't work (or checkmark doesn't show up) even after they restarted WoW, they should double check that they installed a version for 3.3.5, not some MoP one or anything.
Aurelian the Immortal
<Massive Forearms>
Danuvius of Inquisition

arnis5
Banned

#3 » Post by arnis5 » 06 May 2016 17:21

mcheka wrote:Nice guide Arnis! One thing to maybe remind people of in your guide, is that if it doesn't work (or checkmark doesn't show up) even after they restarted WoW, they should double check that they installed a version for 3.3.5, not some MoP one or anything.
Thx ^^. Added the part about 3.3.5a addons :)
The Demonic Lord!

Eronox
MVP

#4 » Post by Eronox » 06 May 2016 18:30

This is nice; Image-guiding and correct amount of text description. Nice job :)

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash

arnis5
Banned

#5 » Post by arnis5 » 06 May 2016 18:31

Eronox wrote:This is nice; Image-guiding and correct amount of text description. Nice job :)
Thx :)
The Demonic Lord!

arnis5
Banned

#6 » Post by arnis5 » 06 May 2016 18:31

If its possible make this post sticky so it stays at top :)
The Demonic Lord!

Nymunne
Former Staff

#7 » Post by Nymunne » 06 May 2016 18:50

arnis5 wrote:If its possible make this post sticky so it stays at top :)
!Roulette.

Oh look, it magically got a sticky on it. :shock:

arnis5
Banned

#8 » Post by arnis5 » 06 May 2016 19:00

Nymunne wrote:
arnis5 wrote:If its possible make this post sticky so it stays at top :)
!Roulette.

Oh look, it magically got a sticky on it. :shock:
"Just pick a time and a day to get rekt ;)"
!Roulette. BANG!!!!
The Demonic Lord!

Mojolicious
Donor

#9 » Post by Mojolicious » 29 Aug 2016 19:48

nice work, should be a sticky :)

following up on arnis' tutorial on HOW to get addons working in the first place, and because it's not as easy to find stable addons for 3.3.5 as it used to be, i've put together a basic collection of addons which will help newer players get into raiding faster and more successful at best. i'm using allof these addons myself and all files are scanned and virus-free and run stable on WotLK 3.3.5 clients.

TrueWoW Raid Addons Download

Atlas Loot Enhanced - find out what loot drops in the dungeon or raid you're going to, or go to the raids and dungeons that drop the loot you need

Deadly Boss Mods - the standard addon for every raider. gives you information about your ongoing encounter in form of timers, chat pop-ups and more. prevent getting yelled at by the rest of the raid for messing up by knowing what'll happen before it happens. take a look at it as soon as you install it!

GearScore - generates a number value for the gear you have equipped, to let you know what dungeons and raids you're (technically) ready for. it does not count in enhancements like gems/enchants/profession perks/any other created items attached to the gear, so be aware of that yourself.

PassLoot - create macros to automatically pass/need/greed/disenchant loots, up to an ocd-level amount of different options, never get annoyed by a flood of loot windows again!

Recount - know how much you're contributing to the dungeon/raid you're in, but most importantly, see if you have improved yourself and what you are capable of doing. helpful for every class.

TweakWoW - tired of using macros to increase your internal WoW graphics and zoom out more every time you start your client? use this to do it for you and dwell in the riches your pc has to offer, even in this museum-ripe classic! :P

WeakestLink - this little devil's advocate reveals helpful information about the reason of deaths in your dungeons and raids. a dps blaming the healer again for dying, even though you swear you've seen him get barbecued by a dragon's breath? not this time, lad! ;)

i hope this will help you increase your raiding experience, hf
:arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowl: :arrow: :arrowl: :arrow: B A

Leidenfrost

#10 » Post by Leidenfrost » 09 Aug 2018 15:55

arnis5 wrote:
06 May 2016 10:37
Verify your WoW Installation Path
This is the location of where you have installed World of Warcraft to. By default, for Windows, it is:
C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\
or
C:\Users\Public\Games\ World of Warcraft\
I'm new to this forum so sorry if I'm being stupid or missing something very obvious, but neither of these file directories exist for me. I'm using Windows 10 and I have hidden folders revealed.

The directory for my installation of TrueWow is C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\World.of.Warcraft.3.3.5a.Truewow which has an interface and addons folder, but I put the extracted file into that folder and when I booted the game there was no addons button in the corner. I've searched high and low for a solution to this problem but I'm at a loss. If anyone knows what they are doing better than me, I would greatly appreciate the help! Trying to find the herbs I'm looking for without the gatherer addon is a struggle.

Relina

#11 » Post by Relina » 09 Aug 2018 22:16

Leidenfrost wrote:
09 Aug 2018 15:55
I'm new to this forum so sorry if I'm being stupid or missing something very obvious, but neither of these file directories exist for me. I'm using Windows 10 and I have hidden folders revealed.

The directory for my installation of TrueWow is C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\World.of.Warcraft.3.3.5a.Truewow which has an interface and addons folder, but I put the extracted file into that folder and when I booted the game there was no addons button in the corner. I've searched high and low for a solution to this problem but I'm at a loss. If anyone knows what they are doing better than me, I would greatly appreciate the help! Trying to find the herbs I'm looking for without the gatherer addon is a struggle.
You probably just need to move the content extracted by one folder.
E.g:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\World.of.Warcraft.3.3.5a.Truewow\Interface\Addon\Gatherer\Gatherer\...
So that its like:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\World.of.Warcraft.3.3.5a.Truewow\Interface\Addon\Gatherer\...
Truewow: Retired for now.
Peace - Lvl: 80 Paladin

Primalwow: Retired for now.
Relina - Lvl: 70 Paladin

I'm willing to become a stone bridge.
Just...
to catch a glimpse of you passing by.

Leidenfrost

#12 » Post by Leidenfrost » 09 Aug 2018 23:07

I'm not sure what you mean. My addons folder looks like this:
https://i.imgur.com/TMVYnCV.png

Brennus

#13 » Post by Brennus » 11 Aug 2018 08:11

Inside that Gatherer-7.3.1 folder you will probably see another folder called Gatherer or something.
Move that folder to your ...\Interface\AddOns\ and remove Gatherer-7.3.1.

If this is not the case, make sure the .toc file inside the folder has exactly the same name as the folder itself.

You know the game recognised your AddOn when you see this button on character screen (this is the button they are talking about)
•     Currently No longer Once again retired (now it's for real)     •

Leidenfrost

#14 » Post by Leidenfrost » 15 Aug 2018 07:21

You were right, and I had to manually extract all the folders within Gatherer-7.3.1. (I had tried just the Gatherer folder before and it didn't work, but I figured I needed the UI folder and everything else for it to work.) Thank you.