[Accepted] The Famous Transmogrify Feature

Nyeriah

[Accepted] The Famous Transmogrify Feature

#1 » Post by Nyeriah » 13 Apr 2016 06:08

So far we've turned this down without questioning due to the technical dependencies that usually float around such patches but the latest patches don't seem to be as messy as they used to be.

I had written a thread about this ages ago that nobody replied to but anyway, even thought I'm one of the "blizzlike" die hards, I still can't neglect that this may be beneficial up to a certain degree.

On a broad approach, it 'revives' old content, and gives people reasons to farm older raids - temporary activity spike. But on the other hand, it strives away entirely from the "Wrath of the Lich King" way of seeing things by adding a perk to the game that was only available at a later expansion.

For all that matters, from the game play point of view, it should have no effect whatsoever. Everything should be as it was before, with the difference that your gear may strive to different looks.

From our discussions within the staff, the vast majority has considered the possibility of having this feature beneficial to our server, so from now it's on the community whether this would or wouldn't be a good idea to be added.

What I personally propose is to enable it for a week and experiment how things go. For that experimental time the feature will be free of charge. After the week has passed we can vote again if it remains or if we take it away. Though, note that while polls may be used, their data is in no way taken as a definitive source and written input receives more value. The polls will merely serve to get a brief picture of the community's opinion.

At this time this is targeted at TrueWoW only.

Those interested may check it out and PTR's GM Island.

Fastor

Re: [TrueWoW/Public Opinion Research/Poll] The Famous Transmogrify Feature

#2 » Post by Fastor » 13 Apr 2016 06:23

Nyeriah wrote:What I personally propose is to enable it for a week and experiment how things go.
Yes! As week long trial l definitely agree to this.

Being see it on GM Isle myself few months back, l only wondered when will someone of stuff come up with this. Didnt knew you already said about this anywhere.

However, l must incline that l would prefer to have this test somewhere after crucial bug like pvp disable are confirmed gone.

mcheka

#3 » Post by mcheka » 13 Apr 2016 06:34

What I like about this server, and I'm sure many are in the same boat as me (the blizzlike die-hards), is that it feels (or tries to) exactly like the 3.3.5 patch did in retail. So, you'd see people wearing gear with Icecrown looks in Dalaran, and by just visually inspecting someone you think, "wow, this guy has cool gear... when did he even get Shadowmourne?". It also has ramifications in PvP, and I would strongly recommend that this feature be disabled in Arenas at least.

On the other hand, it could really revive people running certain content, as you said. I can definitely see lots of value in that. I'd have to see it in action to make an informed decision. Even as a purist, I doubt I'd quit the server even if I ended up not liking this feature. Others might, but on the other hand this feature may bring in other players as well.

Do you plan to release this as a premium feature for vote or donation points, or freely available to all users? How would it be implemented? Is it meant to help the server in a monetary way, or strictly for the player base? (both are fine and valid reasons, I am not judging either way)

If this is not intended as a way to help voting or server revenues, then I will propose the following things:

1. Make the trial longer. More than one week. More like 2 weeks (I'm surprised you even propose a trial period -- in the past you've been very "change, or don't change, no such thing as trials" when other ideas were proposed.
  2. Turn the transmog feature into a periodic server event. For instance, every 3 months maybe we have 2 weeks when transmog is enabled. Choosing the right ratio of "pure WotLK" to "server event" time will encourage people to farm old content and do old raids in the exact same way as permanent transmog would -- because you know a transmog event is coming up soon! Something along these lines might strike a good balance between purists and "radicals" (more like dissidents amirite), letting us claim to be very Blizzlike, except that we have such cosmetic world events periodically.
Aurelian the Immortal
<Massive Forearms>
Danuvius of Inquisition

Fastor

#4 » Post by Fastor » 13 Apr 2016 06:39

mcheka wrote:and I would strongly recommend that this feature be disabled in Arenas at least.
Oh yea, this if possible.

Etro
Honorary Member

#5 » Post by Etro » 13 Apr 2016 06:48

mcheka wrote:[*]Turn the transmog feature into a periodic server event. For instance, every 3 months maybe we have 2 weeks when transmog is enabled. Choosing the right ratio of "pure WotLK" to "server event" time will encourage people to farm old content and do old raids in the exact same way as permanent transmog would -- because you know a transmog event is coming up soon! Something along these lines might strike a good balance between purists and "radicals" (more like dissidents amirite), letting us claim to be very Blizzlike, except that we have such cosmetic world events periodically.[/list]
I don't see the weight in that "benefit" of claming to be very blizzlike just sometimes at the cost of not having transmog enabled always.

I voted with a very big yes, btw.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

Nyeriah

#6 » Post by Nyeriah » 13 Apr 2016 06:51

Normally, it'll follow the same rules as the retail's feature had. So once the trial is over, it would cost gold to change items.

The 1 week trial was merely speculative (as so is most of things here), it could be more, or less as far as the final discussions go.

About making it an event, well, i'm not sure. Farming super rare stuff just to look cool and then only being able to look cool 4 times per year gotta be a bit disappointing :P

I'll check if I can disable it in arenas later.

Longi

#7 » Post by Longi » 13 Apr 2016 06:52

wasnt this rejected like two milion times ? :D you want to aply it now ? where were you when ppl asked for it :D what changed your mind .... anyway WOTLK gear is ugly so big yes from me :)

marisco

#8 » Post by marisco » 13 Apr 2016 06:55

How about the true WOTLK experience that you guys make sure to advertise so much? Let's throw it away?

Dude, if I wanted to play on a server with a shitty custom made transmog I would play on a server with a shitty custom made transmog. Please don't start jumping the shark. This obsession with changing the philosophy of the server just to attract more players is generally what spells doom for it.

Fastor

#9 » Post by Fastor » 13 Apr 2016 06:57

longi wrote:what changed your mind
Same thing as what changed mine.
Nyeriah wrote:So far we've turned this down without questioning due to the technical dependencies that usually float around such patches but the latest patches don't seem to be as messy as they used to be.
Note that l was always FOR Transmorg but due to lot of bugs it created, l was turning to No. But since Transmorg is enabled on PTR since New Year (or earlier), l guess it proved OK.

And Big No to Event like stuff. This should be permanent.

Aggressive

#10 » Post by Aggressive » 13 Apr 2016 06:57

How about set some rating requirements for transmog? This could stimulate our PvP scene.

mcheka

#11 » Post by mcheka » 13 Apr 2016 07:01

marisco wrote:How about the true WOTLK experience that you guys make sure to advertise so much? Let's throw it away?

Dude, if I wanted to play on a server with a shitty custom made transmog I would play on a server with a shitty custom made transmog. Please don't start jumping the shark. This obsession with changing the philosophy of the server just to attract more players is generally what spells doom for it.
Yep, this is a pretty aggressive way of putting how I feel about this feature.

Actually, thinking about it -- why do we want more "activity" on obsolete content? If I wanted high activity in vanilla or TBC content I'd go play a vanilla or TBC server (or Primal). In retail, obsolete raids were dead too -- so why would we want to artificially revive them, except for happy-feel-good community friendship and all that sappy stuff.

I can see how it would help Naxx/Ulduar activity, which is lacking here compared to 3.3.5 retail, but again -- obsolete content is obsolete for a reason -- because we are an old server on the ICC/RS patch.
Last edited by mcheka on 13 Apr 2016 07:10, edited 1 time in total.
Aurelian the Immortal
<Massive Forearms>
Danuvius of Inquisition

Jiranthos
Admin

#12 » Post by Jiranthos » 13 Apr 2016 07:03

Aggressive wrote:How about set some rating requirements for transmog? This could stimulate our PvP scene.
Can you hear the PvE'ers cutting onions yet?

Anyway, for integrity/blizzlike issues, I voted no for this one, although it wouldn't bother me one bit if it were to happen.

Last edited by Jiranthos on 13 Apr 2016 07:53, edited 1 time in total.

Everybody knows that the best way to describe the ocean to a blind man is to push him in

Nyeriah

#13 » Post by Nyeriah » 13 Apr 2016 07:18

mcheka wrote:
marisco wrote:How about the true WOTLK experience that you guys make sure to advertise so much? Let's throw it away?

Yep, this is a pretty aggressive way of putting how I feel about this feature.

Actually, thinking about it -- why do we want more "activity" on obsolete content? If I wanted high activity in vanilla or TBC content I'd go play a vanilla or TBC server (or Primal). In retail, obsolete raids were dead too -- so why would we want to artificially revive them, except for happy-feel-good community friendship and all that sappy stuff.

I can see how it would help Naxx/Ulduar activity, which is lacking here compared to 3.3.5 retail, but again -- obsolete content is obsolete for a reason -- because we are an old server on the ICC/RS patch.
I don't believe it's just as simple as being about running obsolete content. It's about giving people more options of things to do when they're online. Ever heard of countering "raid logging"? Blizzard handles it in many ways, here we don't really have as many ways to do so, and of course, we probably won't be striving away from the blizzlikeness to achieve it, but still, that doesn't mean that we can't try to make things better and improve the experience currently provided.

belendor

#14 » Post by belendor » 13 Apr 2016 07:32

Jiranthos wrote:
Aggressive wrote:How about set some rating requirements for transmog? This could stimulate our PvP scene.
Can you hear the PvE'ers cutting onions yet?

Anyway, for integrity/blizzlike issues, I voted no for this one, although it wouldn't bother me one bit if it were to happen.
Same here
Belendor lvl 80 prot/holy paladin - The original

No need to mention the other paladins.

Best word in west flemish 'toetoet'

NoblestHeart
Donor

#15 » Post by NoblestHeart » 13 Apr 2016 07:41

This... Though I have said it less aggressive.