Question regarding mute

agrodon

Question regarding mute

#1 » Post by agrodon » 10 Aug 2015 15:03

2 days ago I was muted for a small period of time.
I couldn't find out what the mute was for, or exactly how long it was for (when I logged in it was only 13 minutes).
Is there a way to see what I got muted for?

.Tomerant

Re: Question regarding mute

#2 » Post by .Tomerant » 10 Aug 2015 15:42

That's what I was asking for on some other topic.

When someone gets muted, it should be very clearly written as some sort of announcement.
Yes, there is gonna be some "lol rekt" comments but that will also make muted person think twice before his name appears on "wall of shame" again.

Such stuff would greatly reduce number of trolls and stupid posts on global chats.

Nyeriah

#3 » Post by Nyeriah » 10 Aug 2015 15:44

Mute reason shows up on the account manager while the mute is active.

agrodon

#4 » Post by agrodon » 10 Aug 2015 18:29

I was looking for the reason while I was muted, all I could find in the account manager was the expiration time and the amount of shame points I got.

bbslam

#5 » Post by bbslam » 10 Aug 2015 18:43

I was told if 5 different people report you as spam you get auto muted, not sure if this is true or not. But that is a pretty shitty way to try and control chat.

Nyeriah

#6 » Post by Nyeriah » 10 Aug 2015 18:57

Who's told you that?

Virunus
Donor

#7 » Post by Virunus » 11 Aug 2015 05:26

I don't remember ever reading or hearing that the number is 5, but I do recall seeing somewhere that the report spam feature does in fact auto-mute people, provided enough reports are made.

That on its own kind of implies that someone who gets pissed off could round up his buddies or alt accounts to mute someone out of spite. Any kind of auto-mute function via reports acts much like votekick in LFG, in that it can be abused.

Its fine in LFG because, really, its up to the group as a whole if they want to play with you. If 4 people decide they don't like player number 5 because their name reminds them of someone they met at a party 6 years ago who they thought smelled funny, that's their decision to kick the player. The group as a whole does not want to play with that player, so why force it, yes?

It doesn't work so good when it comes to moderation like this. Mutes should be reserved for people who are confirmed to be spamming or breaking other chat/conduct rules. IF THE SYSTEM DOES IN FACT AUTO-MUTE AFTER X NUMBER OF REPORTS, then there is nothing to stop toxic players from getting "innocent" players muted for reasons that have nothing to do with those that would normally get someone muted.

Nyeriah

#8 » Post by Nyeriah » 11 Aug 2015 06:01

What you describe would indeed happen if reports were not being resolved. However, it takes effort to have enough unresolved reports in order to trigger the mechanism.

So far it has been efficient at coercing gold sellers and toxic players.

Nyeriah

#9 » Post by Nyeriah » 11 Aug 2015 06:38

Anyway for the OP:

Mute Date: 2015-08-0810:22PM Mutetime: 15 mins. Reason: TF Set by: Chasity

That was a mute for thunderfury link spam

Mute reason is displayed as:

at the account manager