DK tanking.

Ogglethorpe

DK tanking.

#1 » Post by Ogglethorpe » 13 Jun 2010 19:37

I've got only little DKtanking experience at about lvl 70 (undead dk at other private)

Seems to me that DK tanks dont really have to do any effort at that point to keep aggro, just dps with frost presence and use some aoe and switching targets every now adnd then.. Was unholy at the time, geared for pure dps and it was a piece of cake to me.

How is this at high levels? I dont really see a lot of DK tanks around actually!

Noblebeastx

Re: DK tanking.

#2 » Post by Noblebeastx » 13 Jun 2010 20:28

On retail you be suprised there are not many dk tanks as far as i see it or they was not aloud in raids for a long time due to people seeing how blizzard turned a dps class into tanking but didn't give it shield.

I had about 4 dk's up to 70's and deleted and had to restart due to i hated em after 70,there so boring and barly have any spells,you can easy pwn with them if ure not a noob

Chaos

#3 » Post by Chaos » 13 Jun 2010 22:07

Noble that was a pretty useless point made, DK's are brilliant tanks if you know how to play one. I have done every raid instance whether I was Healing,DPS, or Tank. I have offtanked for many DK tanks and learned a lot of the class from doing so. A shield isn't req. to tank...you got them to 70 but never played one to 80 have you?

The first day Ulduar was released my guild raided it, at the time i was healing on my shaman and we had a DK/Warrior tank and the DK was able to take the bugged hits from XT-002 Deconstructor trash which it wasn't till the next day when there was a update that we realized they were bugged.

DK has their own unique way of tanking and Oggle DK tanking is pretty much like DPSing in Frost Pressence, be sure to use pestilence and blood boil, this generates pretty decent threat along with DND going. Also if a mob is running to healer or caster be ready to Death Grip them also since you have dark command ( i think thats the taunt) you can use that one also if it happens with another mob. As long as you have the gear and the proper stats for tanking and spec of course you can tank with any tree.

Minime

#4 » Post by Minime » 16 Jun 2010 23:48

How can DK be better tank as Warrior..DON'T BE LIKE TED!

Rhorn

#5 » Post by Rhorn » 17 Jun 2010 20:29

Warrior are the best tank because they get bonus in dodge and parry.
They got Devestate, that gives much treat.
Thunder clap when there are more mobs, gives to much treat.
Taunt and Challeging shout and more.
That why warriors should be a main tank.
It doesn't matter if you can heal or damage.
You only need a good holy priest.
It goes about treat.
That makes warrior the TANK.
DK's good tanks to but Warrior still owns and the will stay.
Read about it at mine Warrior tank guide, tells how to tank,tells everyting about treat and dodge,parry block and more.

Tanks most tank.
Dps most do damage.(Best for PVE DPS is Rogue)
Healer most heal.

Roel
Founder

#6 » Post by Roel » 17 Jun 2010 20:40

The only thing tanks should do is keep aggro and to make the life of healers easier it would be good if they get the lowest amount of damage as possible. As a warrior I know the only reason to do damage is because it generates rage which makes it possible to keep aggro. Rogues are good for DPS and can do this much better than any tank ;)

Universe

#7 » Post by Universe » 16 Oct 2010 22:37

DK tanking works same way as Druid, Warrior or Paladin..
Main purpose is to Keep agroo higher then DPS, Healer
How does DK does it different then Druid, Warrior and Paladin??
He does DPS yes.. you heard me right..

DK's system takes all three original classes (Druid, Warrior, Paladin) to a different level where DK's do not need a 1h and a shield or Bear Form.. Instead they use techniques like Damage absorb, have high Def, Dodge, and a nice stamina stable to boost..

What warriors cannot do that Dk's r good at:-
1. Warrior cannot keep aoe agroo on the fly (They need rage for it)
2. Warrior cannot instantly switch place A to place B while grabbing new mobs..
3. If warriors do not use abilitys their agroo lost is very heavy at 80.
4. Druids can do what dk's can but they only have dodge to help and a higher HP pool then all tanks..
5. Dk's can go head to head with any tank and instantly gain twice as much agroo then Warriors, Druids.. but Lack a bit behind Paladins.
6. Paladins have better agroo long term or short term because There is no Resist to Holy Damage..
7. Dk's can do anything better then Warriors, druids, paladins.. as a Tank..

DK Tank spec's
1. Blood(Allpoints), Frost(5), Unholy(15) <--This is a Blood Tanker spec very nice, made for less dps more survival.
2. Blood(15), Frost(Allpoints), Unholy(10) <-- This is nice if you want to DW tank.
3. Blood(10), Frost(10), Unholy(Allpoints) <--Very nice for AOE tanking and is best Tank DPS spec out there as well..

How to Tank Moving:-
All you have to do is keep diseases up, and use one rotation then move for up to 10 sec.. It's that simple.. If you are about to lose agroo, Death Grip. :-D

I have been a Blood Tanker for 1+ years on a different Pserver same rates as here.. :)

pici

#8 » Post by pici » 07 May 2011 23:28

i wanna say somthing
dk can tank without healer but u need choose blood talenent+Frost talent
if u need talent point i can show for u..
i can share X)

Toughy

#9 » Post by Toughy » 03 Jun 2011 15:28

I also find that Death Knights have an insane threat generation, at least at the beginning, and I was so annoyed by this when I was tanking with my warrior. Two DKs in my group were enough for me to loose any glimmer of threat I might have been trying to build on any mob.

On the other hand, if you think about it, at the first levels (like 60, that my DK is now), any group you get in expects you to be a confident and well-geared tank, since you are no longer starting up your toon. For a DK, however, at lvl 60 (or 70) you have just started up your toon ! You know, DKs start at level 55 ! So this abnormal threat generation for DKs, at least in the begining, can help you keep your group happy while you still learn the basics of for your new DK ! :)

Thank you
Toughy

Cover25

#10 » Post by Cover25 » 06 Jun 2011 05:47

I truly, Truly hate DK tanks. I can Always Steal aggro from them. Now Feral/Paly/Warrior tanks are just fine. Even With misdirection at the start of combat when it wears off i can build aggro Pretty Quickly.

claptrap

#11 » Post by claptrap » 29 Jul 2011 06:09

Cover25 wrote:I truly, Truly hate DK tanks. I can Always Steal aggro from them. Now Feral/Paly/Warrior tanks are just fine. Even With misdirection at the start of combat when it wears off i can build aggro Pretty Quickly.
I think you forgot that it's the DPS's job to watch their own threat.

That being said, it sounds like you have had some crap DK tanks. I've personally found that private servers run rampant with misinformation or prejudice. For instance, I'm leveling a Frost DW tank, and everyone I run into keeps telling me it's a terrible idea because you need so much hit, or that only classes with a shield are able to tank, which is absolutely wrong.
Rhorn wrote:Warrior are the best tank because they get bonus in dodge and parry.
They got Devestate, that gives much treat.
Thunder clap when there are more mobs, gives to much treat.
Taunt and Challeging shout and more.
That why warriors should be a main tank.
It doesn't matter if you can heal or damage.
You only need a good holy priest.
It goes about treat.
That makes warrior the TANK.
DK's good tanks to but Warrior still owns and the will stay.
Read about it at mine Warrior tank guide, tells how to tank,tells everyting about treat and dodge,parry block and more.

Tanks most tank.
Dps most do damage.(Best for PVE DPS is Rogue)
Healer most heal.
Congrats on insulting every other tanking class, non-holy priest healers and non-rogue dpsers. Your views seem to be stuck in classic content. You act like warriors are the only class capable of generating threat. Where have you been since idk.... BURNING CRUSADE?!?!?! So according to you, we all need to roll either warriors, rogues or h-priest? Warriors are the best tank? That's just insulting, especially since I've personally out tanked numerous warriors with a pally, druid and DK. In fact, many, many times I have to take over for a warrior who is failing miserably, both retail and here.

As for your list of tanking abilities.... whoopdie do, every tanking class has them. Can a warrior macro heroic strike into all of their attacks? Nope. Yet Dk's can do that with Rune Strike. Can warriors place a cloud of threat generation anywhere in a 30 yrd radius that lasts for 10 seconds, giving them an incredibly flexible threat generation tool? Can warrior tanks generate massive aoe threat in all directions constantly? Can warriors self heal and cleave on almost every strike as part of their normal rotation without starving themselves of their ability resource? Do warrior tanks get an opening attack that not only DoT's the target, but is a ranged ability that generates x7 the threat it normally would? Do warriors get a stance that increases their health by 8%, increase armor contribution from items and reduce damage taken by 10%. Do warriors get a cooldown that not only raises health by 15% for a limited time, but increases healing taken as well?

Oh wait... you don't?

Frankly, I've found it's very, very rare for a prot warrior to generate AoE threat worth talking about. Sure, they're great single target tanks, but very, very large portion of instances and raids nowadays have either adds to worry about or you have to constantly be moving, which warriors aren't so great at. Dk's can position themselves anywhere they want to and instantly generate threat on as many mobs as they wish. Warriors have to wait until thunderclap is of CD, which can be a LONG 6 seconds.

So do yourself a favor and educate yourself on other classes before you sound foolish again.

Cover25

#12 » Post by Cover25 » 31 Jul 2011 06:09

Lol. First off With Mutiple Mobs the Warrior should be spamming Cleave. Thats a pretty damn good way to gain aggro, and even If somehow he Loses aggro on a mob, Boom just taunt it back. Do DKs have a skill that Gives 8% of the aggro generated by ANY played in the group That he places the mark on? NOPE. Prefect for High DPSers. Secondly, Warriors Def Stance Increases all threat by 10% and Decreases all damage dealt by 5%.

And about the DPS thing, If you read After i do Misdirection Theres Not much i can do when it wears off now can I. If i need to stop attacking because a tank cant hold aggro then its going to hurt the group More when DPS need to stop attacking. Also HStrike is Not on the GCD meaning it can be macroed into every attack, Where have you been since the Burning Crusade?

EDIT: Warriors have last stand that gives us 30% of our Max HP back. Your turn Good sir.

EDIT2: They have enraged Regen, so we can self heal when needed.

Tuffeyy

#13 » Post by Tuffeyy » 01 Aug 2011 04:33

Good thing im a holy priest =D

claptrap

#14 » Post by claptrap » 01 Aug 2011 04:42

Cover25 wrote:Lol. First off With Mutiple Mobs the Warrior should be spamming Cleave. Thats a pretty damn good way to gain aggro, and even If somehow he Loses aggro on a mob, Boom just taunt it back. Do DKs have a skill that Gives 8% of the aggro generated by ANY played in the group That he places the mark on? NOPE. Prefect for High DPSers. Secondly, Warriors Def Stance Increases all threat by 10% and Decreases all damage dealt by 5%.

And about the DPS thing, If you read After i do Misdirection Theres Not much i can do when it wears off now can I. If i need to stop attacking because a tank cant hold aggro then its going to hurt the group More when DPS need to stop attacking. Also HStrike is Not on the GCD meaning it can be macroed into every attack, Where have you been since the Burning Crusade?

EDIT: Warriors have last stand that gives us 30% of our Max HP back. Your turn Good sir.

EDIT2: They have enraged Regen, so we can self heal when needed.
What hurts the group more? You slowing down your dps for a few seconds, or you pulling a mob, dying/feign death, in which case the aggro goes right to the healer which will wipe the group?

And yes, you can macro heroic strike to every attack... if you want to rage starve yourself. Only time a warrior could do that is trash groups... and who cares about those?

Vampiric blood only increases a Dk's health by 15%, but we also get a 35% boost to the healing we
take. Personally, I'd rather be taking big heals.

Frost Presence increases threat as well, increases our stamina by 8% our armor by 60% (thereby giving us the same armor value as a shield bearing warrior) and reduces damage taken by 8%. So you still think defensive stance is that great? If I go frost tank I can gain a further 2% to damage reduction.

You count enraged regen as self healing? A Blood DK gets death strike, rune tap, and mark of blood and Blood worms to heal ourselves. A frost DK can spam the crap out of death strike if needed. Enraged regen doesn't stand up to DK healing.

Cleave and thunderclap don't hold a candle to DnD and blood boil/howling blast. Cleave hits 3 targets is glyphed? DnD and BB/HB hit EVERYTHING.

And I don't need an ability that re-directs threat because I generate so much that I never need to care. People who pull off of me are usually attacking the wrong target or have massively better gear than me.

Prite

#15 » Post by Prite » 01 Aug 2011 11:38

yesterday I tanked Prince something in Old Kingdom.. so it's safe to say Priests are better tanks... I casted Pain and Plague, and kept renew, shield and Prayer of something (I keep forgeting it's name, the one that jumps from target to target) I end up tanking him... so I rule btw ^_^
"All Warfare is based on Deception."
"Dura Praxis, Sed Praxis"
"Engenhus Facultis"