Bugged quest checker

GM moderated forum to add bugged quests or remove previously bugged quests from the quest completer. Make sure you read the sticky so you report the quests correctly!
shamanas

Bugged quest checker

#1 » Post by shamanas » 04 Apr 2011 15:44

Hello everybody :)
My in-game name is deadlystuff and this is my first forum post. English is not my native language, so please do not be hard on any grammatical/vocabulary/[w/e] mistake I make.
Anyone who has played on truewow knows how frustrating it is to check if you have any bugged quests all the time, or even worse, to go to the area the quest is done and discover you cannot complete it. I had enough of it too, until I decided to make up for that problem by using an addon, using my programming skills :) This is my first addon so there is no UI at all, only chat messages are posted when a bugged quest is found.
The addon has been moved to OkweL's website, please refer to the last page of the topic, thank you :)

To use it, just take quests. Any time you take a bugged quest a message will appear in your chat frame.
A message for each quest should also appear at startup (? untested but should work), at each reload (! tested and working ^^) or by using the /cb command (! also tested and working).

Due to the lack of internet communication in the wow lua api, the addon cannot automatically fetch the list of bugged quest from the truewow site. Instead, every once and then you should update your list by going at http://www.shamanas.com and replace your List.lua file in your TrueWoW-Bugged directory with the file that you will be offered to download.
Last edited by Guest on 15 Jul 2011 06:31, edited 1 time in total.

OkweL

Re: Bugged quest checker

#2 » Post by OkweL » 05 Apr 2011 05:26

I don't know .lua but tell me, where it gets source for that? I mean that whole list?

Felnight

#3 » Post by Felnight » 05 Apr 2011 06:09

Downloaded to test this out...

Scanned using, Trend Micro Titanium.
No threats for the Main CB.rar file, or the update list.lua file.
(No offense Deadlystuff, Your in the same guild as me, or were, if you left. But It doesnt matter who made it, I scan it :) )

Soon as I logged in, I typed /cb like Shamanas Said, and I had 1 bugged quest.
Its late, so I will test it again tomorrow and see what happens when I 'accept' a bugged quest.

This would be a nice addon for people to have. In my opinion. I think I will use it.
But you will have to keep the list updated.

A basic UI would be more then enough to get this off the ground. Nothing to fancy.
Also, Do you have to manually update your list.lua? That might get tedious, and may start to fall behind on updates if you dont feel like doing it.

shamanas

#4 » Post by shamanas » 05 Apr 2011 12:24

OkweL wrote:I don't know .lua but tell me, where it gets source for that? I mean that whole list?
Felnight wrote:But you will have to keep the list updated.
The list is fetched directly from the truewow site at http://www.truewow.org/index.php?n=server&sub=quests by the generator script. I do not write the list manually and upload it.
Felnight wrote:Do you have to manually update your list.lua? That might get tedious, and may start to fall behind on updates if you dont feel like doing it.

Like i said, I searched alot for some way to fetch the list at startup witht the addon, but the wow api does not allow for interaction with internet, or anything besides basic wow functionality for that matter, so this makes it impossible to do. However, if you have a better idea for updates, please say so :)
Felnight wrote:A basic UI would be more then enough to get this off the ground. Nothing to fancy.
I'd like some advice for that. I dont really know what kind of UI would be good for an addon like this one.

Stryke

#5 » Post by Stryke » 05 Apr 2011 13:47

I'd suggest some kind of window that opens like when you open your character sheet (size wise)
Call it "Bugged Quests". Have it list all the bugged quests on the server maybe. Greyed out. If you have it in your quest log then the quest on the list could be put as a Red colour. (A search option would be needed there though)
The other option would be to have the same window only list the bugged quests you have in your quest log. Pretty much like how it lists in the chat but /cb would open the window instead. :P

Anyways that's my idea for your addon. Keep up the good work :)

OkweL

#6 » Post by OkweL » 05 Apr 2011 15:35

I'll test it too. But please upload it somewhere else. ( http://www.multiupload.com/ ). RIght now it's impossible to download it. I have to try later.

@Stryke
Coloured quests on the list wouldn't be a best idea because there are many quests with exactly the same name but different IDs.

If you want to test downloaded files, use VirusTotal:

http://www.virustotal.com/
It is using different antivirus bases, checks md5 checksum etc.

shamanas

#7 » Post by shamanas » 05 Apr 2011 18:24

I'll upload the addon on a different website when the new version is done.
The new version will include a UI, although I'm having quite some trouble with UI creation in XML right now :/ Stryke, thanks for the idea, I decided to go for a window with a list of bugged quests you have in your quest log.

I'll be trying out several programs for addon UI creation and will tweak the output by hand, this should make it easier to start creating interfaces.

Kraith
Former Staff

#8 » Post by Kraith » 05 Apr 2011 19:07

Thank you for your work, very useful addon for leveling. :) The only thing that doesn't work is the notification on startup, but /cb and notification when accepting work great. :)
Kraith - RIP Maelstrom - 80 Troll Huntard
Retired GM, Inactive from game/forum

Stryke

#9 » Post by Stryke » 05 Apr 2011 22:53

I confirm what kraith said. Not a big issue since you're working on a windowed version though :P

shamanas

#10 » Post by shamanas » 08 Apr 2011 21:23

New version released!
After a lot of poking around, I finally made it :p
The download address is the same. Please delete your TrueWow-Bugged folder to use the new version, as the new folder name is BuggedChecker. You can update your lists the same way as version 1. Chat command (/cb) and notifications are still available. Only real difference, but very real is the one I describe bellow. After a lot of poking around, I found the original code of wow's quest log and modified it. With the addon loaded, the modified (copycat) quest log will be loaded and opened with L key and the menu button :) But the copycat quest log shows "BUGGED" tags (like completed, daily, dungeon, etc.) on bugged quests. This makes the addon that much better, as the UI is exactly the same as the standard UI, no need for heavier stuff and it will be easier for new players :) I hope you like the new version of the addon. Please report bugs

Yours, Deadlystuff

Stryke

#11 » Post by Stryke » 08 Apr 2011 22:08

Tested it on my 2nd DK :P It works really well. Well done ^^

shamanas

#12 » Post by shamanas » 08 Apr 2011 22:45

Ty :D
Im happy to know someone uses it after all the hours of research and work i put in it, even if it is one person ^^ Please spread the word, I think this addon could really help alot of people. I mean, we see peaople asking wether a quest is bugged or not on world channel all the time, after trying to complete it and losing precious time. After all, I made this addon for this purpose, help people and save them from frustration :P

shamanas

#13 » Post by shamanas » 10 Apr 2011 15:22

Ok I uploaded a new version. Thanks to a fellow guildmate, who thought of this new feature, when you click on a bugged questlink you will get the bugged quest message in chat. I wanted to embed it in the tooltip, but it very complicated (impossible?), so maybe ill do that in a later version. Thanks every1 =D

OkweL

#14 » Post by OkweL » 10 Apr 2011 15:43

Works like a charm. Thanks.

shamanas

#15 » Post by shamanas » 11 Apr 2011 10:11

New release on same address. This fixes a bug with /cb .
Also, code structure has changed. Rather than hiding the true quest log and building a new one, this addon hooks onto the quest log update function. This results in the fact it is now compatible with other addons that use the quest log (untested but anyway :P, no reason it wouild not work) like lightheaded. Also, it is much lighter :)