[Rejected] Stop Flooding

Myaoming
Former Staff

[Rejected] Stop Flooding

#1 » Post by Myaoming » 09 Sep 2015 16:05

Woah, look at how many active topics we have! Alright, this has been bugging me for a while. A long while. I know you're doing your job, but I'm pretty sure there's a more effective way to deal with things.

I'll quote few of Nymunne's bumps and comment on them. Please don't take it personal, Nymunne. It's basically a message to the whole team.
Nymunne wrote:Marking this as resolved.
You can mark them without really bumping the topic and informing us. If bumping things help you "organize" the forum and make it easier for you to know which topics you dealt, I think the Accepted/Rejected/Resolved/Idkwhat section is already doing the job. If there's another reason for bumping these, please let us know.

A month old. In most cases, if there was still a problem, the guy would let you know earlier.

Again, you don't really need to explain why you're moving the topic from a section to another. Nephyx was technically the last one who posted. Keeping the topic as is and marking/moving it without bumping would've had the same effect for the player as bumping it and highlighting Nephyx again. Additionally, what Nephyx wrote was already a decent closure.

I might be the only one complaining about this, but I'm sure many others who use "View Active Topics" or even "View New Posts" are bothered by this. We don't really have to mark topics as read after each flood. Either don't bump, or deal with the situation slowly instead of 30-40 at once.
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

Polkic
Former Staff

Re: Stop Flooding

#2 » Post by Polkic » 09 Sep 2015 18:42

This is how you farm post counter :)

benzviliran

#3 » Post by benzviliran » 09 Sep 2015 18:44

Finally an active GM /bravo
I am the swarm

Justicelight
Donor

#4 » Post by Justicelight » 09 Sep 2015 18:49

I think it's okay to do it once in 3-4 months. From what I remember, Nyeriah did this before too, and I find it better to just do a set of these (if a gm has more free time than usual in a particular day) than rather doing one or two each day.

You can farm post counter with this indeed, but if it bugs the eye of the reader, he can always use "mark all forums read" button and then it will be easier to see the new active topics.

A tip for the gm who is doing this: if you plan on doing this again, open multiple tabs with each topic you want to close/last comment in and submit them all with short interval between them. In this way you will group all of these tagged topics in a short time window making the life of the forum readers easier by allowing them to get over the "post counter farm" faster. (In this case, Nymunne's posts have a time window of 2 hours: 12:38 -> 14:29)

Sorry for the lots of words.
Last edited by Justicelight on 09 Sep 2015 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
"I write about the power of trying, because I want to be okay with failing. I write about generosity because I battle selfishness. I write about joy because I know sorrow. I write about faith because I almost lost mine, and I know what it is to be broken and in need of redemption. I write about gratitude because I am thankful - for all of it."

Myaoming
Former Staff

#5 » Post by Myaoming » 09 Sep 2015 18:50

Polkic wrote:This is how you farm post counter :)
Exactly! That's how Nyeriah beat Intervention at post count :D

Edit:
Justicelight wrote:You can farm post counter with this indeed, but if it bugs the eye of the reader, he can always use "mark all forums read" button and then it will be easier to see the new active topics.
Post counter means nothing. Why would anyone farm it anyway? And by using "mark all forums read" you will also mark the useful topics you're interested in.
Last edited by Myaoming on 09 Sep 2015 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

Hansrutger
Former Staff

#6 » Post by Hansrutger » 09 Sep 2015 19:56

Let him post lawl. What does it matter... He's at lesat informing before he closes a thread, not just doing it.
Retired

I'd say that trying is the best one can do in order to higher themselves from the people crying and only complaining. Whilst you try, it doesn't mean it is always going to be the most successful result but I'd like to think that it is still a better choice than standing idle.

TrueWoW main: Palamaster

Myaoming
Former Staff

#7 » Post by Myaoming » 09 Sep 2015 19:56

I'm fine with them posting. I'm against them flooding.

Nyeriah

#8 » Post by Nyeriah » 09 Sep 2015 19:59

We have already talked about this (more than once actually).

As stated previously, this is a very professional and efficient way to deal with issues as it assures EVERY and ANY issue receives a resolution. If by any reason a given player stops by to check his threads he knows exactly WHY and WHEN was his thread moved.

Furthermore, as can be seen, I don't really have time to perform sweeps so often to the point it would be an disturbance. I'm glad Nymunne had the time to take care of it. Otherwise, they indeed will be done after a couple of months. In general, I try to keep less than 20 active threads at all times.

With that being said, this suggestion is a regression and I will eventually end up rejecting it in a 24 hours period if nothing else is there to be added.

Additionally, as Justicelight has mentioned, Forum->Mark As Read->View Unread Topics->Profit.

If you're checking "New topics", then they don't really stick there for long.

Otherwise, this board has received zero activity for a very long while other than some vurzox threads that pop now and then, so is a common routine procedure that does nothing but good to the server really the best you can worry about?

Kindzadza
Former Staff

#9 » Post by Kindzadza » 09 Sep 2015 20:03

Just ignore those threads and mark then as read. Only the staff should be worried about the flood in the General Support/Player reports forums.

Myaoming
Former Staff

#10 » Post by Myaoming » 09 Sep 2015 20:16

Yeah we did talk about this a lot, but I'm still not convinced. If people were really interested, they wouldn't leave the topic rot for 1-2 months. And I still think they could PM you if they want to know what happened after locking/moving, if it wasn't already obvious (it's obvious in most cases, unless they're too dumb). In fact, I wanted to see how many people are actually annoyed by this flooding issue.
Justicelight wrote:I think it's okay to do it once in 3-4 months.
This is actually a good idea if you guys could just do the cleanup 3-4 times a year.
Nyeriah wrote:Additionally, as Justicelight has mentioned, Forum->Mark As Read->View Unread Topics->Profit.
Actually Justice didn't suggest that precisely, it was pretty different, but yeah this could work.

Off-topic: Hai Kindz <:

ColdStep

#11 » Post by ColdStep » 09 Sep 2015 20:50

You people keep implying that there's a lack of staff. And when they show their dedication you still manage to find something to make a useless discussion about. Gotta say I'm impressed ^_^

Keep it up Nym ;)

Myaoming
Former Staff

#12 » Post by Myaoming » 09 Sep 2015 21:06

I never implied there's a lack of staff. And the discussion is not as useless as your post, at least for me.

Arockalypse
Donor

#13 » Post by Arockalypse » 09 Sep 2015 21:08

ColdStep wrote:You people keep implying that there's a lack of staff. And when they show their dedication you still manage to find something to make a useless discussion about. Gotta say I'm impressed ^_^
So hard to do what he's doing, no one else but him can do it
Great dedication really.
/mindblown
Shadow Council of Hellraisers
TrueWoW member since 2010.

⌁ How the little piggies will grunt when they hear how the old boar suffered ⌁

Iniyam

#14 » Post by Iniyam » 09 Sep 2015 21:54

Seriously? ...
This is not "post farming" as you say, its called "forum cleanup". Old topics are locked and moved to resolved, if there isn't a proper answer to topic, Staff team needs to check if the issue still persists..
I really cant figure out what is the purpose of this topic, complaining about staff member being active? Would it be better if its the other way around?

Be happy that Nymunne takes his/her time to do this.
Cheating is bad. Using an item to cheat is bad. Regardless of how said item was obtained, use of said item is bad. Bad people will be banned.
Iniyam                                      Inimin

Myaoming
Former Staff

#15 » Post by Myaoming » 09 Sep 2015 22:18

If you don't know what the purpose of this topic is, I suggest you thoroughly read the main post again. How can you even conclude that I'm complaining about a Staff member being active? /sigh, looks like I wasted my time. Should've expected the outcome. You know what, just lock it, because nothing will change at all. Thanks, and sorry Nymunne.