Development Q&A - August/2015

Nyeriah

Development Q&A - August/2015

#1 » Post by Nyeriah » 05 Aug 2015 18:02

DEVELOPMENT
Q&A
This is our Development Question & Answers thread. Ever had any questions regarding our server's development you'd like to ask? Is there something from the change logs that wasn't introduced clearly enough? Would you like to know the development status on something specific? Ask it here.

In general, this is the first stop on end-line community feedback. Here you'll have the opportunity to contact the ones working on your server directly and we'll be addressing your questions at the best of our capabilities.

This thread will follow certain rules that go as-is to remain always on-topic:
  • - This thread will be reset monthly and every reply removed. Relevant and frequently asked questions will be quoted in the first post.
    - Try to be specific and clear on your posts so they can be addressed efficiently. Badly formulated questions may not be addressed.
    - Off-topic will not be tolerated and will be removed very briefly.

Myaoming
Former Staff

Re: Development Q&A

#2 » Post by Myaoming » 05 Aug 2015 19:09

Any plans on fixing "The Battle for the Undercity" chain quest, including "Herald of War" / "Fate, Up Against Your Will" quests?
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

Nyeriah

#3 » Post by Nyeriah » 05 Aug 2015 19:16

Ragnorak
Donor

#4 » Post by Ragnorak » 05 Aug 2015 20:45

Couple of questions today, first off to follow up on my last question. Is there an ETA for the scripting of the remaining faction leaders (Cairne, Sylvanas, Thrall, and Gelbin Mekkatorque)?

Secondly, our biggest criticism scripting-wise is the fact that we don't have Wintergrasp scripted yet. How far have we come in terms of Wintergrasp scripting and how much is there left to be done? (Possible ETA would also be nice)

Finally, with the addition of PrimalWoW to the staff's list of responsibilities and with what seems to be the same amount of developers when we only had 1 realm. How is the development team allocating their time spent on scripting for each server? The most recent hotfixes in terms of raids showed multiple fixes for Molten Core, Zul Gurub, and one more for Stratholme while for TrueWoW only one fix for Ulduar was applied. Do both realms still have equal priority in terms of scripting and if so, does the staff team plan on recruiting more developers to help with the increased workload of running two realms?
Lok'tar ogar! Victory or death - it is these words that bind me to the Horde. For they are the most sacred and fundamental of truths to any warrior of the Horde.

I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - FOR THE HORDE!

Chasity
Former Staff

#5 » Post by Chasity » 05 Aug 2015 21:00

Ragnorak wrote:Couple of questions today, first off to follow up on my last question. Is there an ETA for the scripting of the remaining faction leaders (Cairne, Sylvanas, Thrall, and Gelbin Mekkatorque)?.....
Those bosses already had scripts for their abilities so they are working.
"and rly ... Location -- IKEAland .. you re rly pissed of by guy who is from IKEA :D"

Nyeriah

#6 » Post by Nyeriah » 05 Aug 2015 21:42

About Wintergrasp, recently I had a good laugh at this https://github.com/TrinityCore/TrinityC ... 155d6d234e
So yeah, that describes how far we are from Wintergrasp. Miles away. No ETA can be given at this time.

We're always hiring developers but it's frivolous to assume either realm is receiving more attention based on a single update. The bigger picture shows otherwise http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=15786 So as can be seen, in technical terms both realms are receiving the same attention.

ItchyVortex

#7 » Post by ItchyVortex » 05 Aug 2015 22:06

Nyeriah wrote:About Wintergrasp, recently I had a good laugh at this https://github.com/TrinityCore/TrinityC ... 155d6d234e
Massive progress.
Esunna, Feral Druid | Elainn, Discipline Priest

Hansrutger
Former Staff

#8 » Post by Hansrutger » 06 Aug 2015 14:21

What causes the raid ID's sometimes getting bugged, being removed and if there's any work around that to be fixed? Of course I don't want an answer of how to bypass an ID, just thought of how it actually works "scriptwise".
Retired

I'd say that trying is the best one can do in order to higher themselves from the people crying and only complaining. Whilst you try, it doesn't mean it is always going to be the most successful result but I'd like to think that it is still a better choice than standing idle.

TrueWoW main: Palamaster

Nyeriah

#9 » Post by Nyeriah » 06 Aug 2015 16:09

Hansrutger wrote:What causes the raid ID's sometimes getting bugged, being removed and if there's any work around that to be fixed? Of course I don't want an answer of how to bypass an ID, just thought of how it actually works "scriptwise".
I wish I knew, had some headache with this myself last night. I assume something overflows and the instance system ends up deleting the wrong saves. Last night I was in Molten Core and it wiped my ID twice, then I tried killing a boss to see if it would save me and it gave me a Maraudon instance bind. /shrug

Myaoming
Former Staff

#10 » Post by Myaoming » 06 Aug 2015 19:33

Are we going Legion? xD

Nyeriah

#11 » Post by Nyeriah » 06 Aug 2015 19:49

[14:49] <@Nova> are we going Legion?
[14:49] <@Nova> !eightball
[14:49] <~WardenX> Nova: Come again?

Gnurg

#12 » Post by Gnurg » 11 Aug 2015 11:59

There has been a large ammount of lagspikes as of recent, quite likely because we're twice as big as before now that we got PrimalWoW. Will the server be upgraded to handle the current population and maybe a even larger population (given PW keeps growing)?
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

Myaoming
Former Staff

#13 » Post by Myaoming » 11 Aug 2015 13:38

I believe the server can currently handle much more than the combined population. Maybe spikes are due to something else?

ItchyVortex

#14 » Post by ItchyVortex » 11 Aug 2015 13:51

New servers that grow fast are oftenly DDoS targets. Its unlikely our case but still a possibility.
Esunna, Feral Druid | Elainn, Discipline Priest

Nyeriah

#15 » Post by Nyeriah » 11 Aug 2015 15:30

I think we're sort of safe from that. Probably half of these lag spikes were me and Roel applying updates. We try to run them at times off the peak but when we need to test something it can't be helped.

Both servers have around a total of 800 players. We've had peaks of 750 at Truewow. It's most definitely very far away from the full potential it can handle.