[Rejected] Option to make previous raids more challenging?

Roel
Founder

[Rejected] Option to make previous raids more challenging?

#1 » Post by Roel » 30 Jul 2015 22:49

Like always I have a couple of ideas that might keep players more interested in playing here. But of course I am not going to waste time on something if nobody wants it.

The idea is to add an NPC at the entrance of raids (or a command if you don't like seeing a custom NPC), which gives options to buff the raid to a higher difficulty. It would be much like the option in ICC to remove the ICC buff, it doesn't have any advantages to it besides the challenge. Most players looking for this don't need more gear anyway.

It would allow a full 10 man raid to enter Naxx and experience it at the original difficulty, or even more difficult. Of course you could unequip some gear and equip lower gear but that wouldn't be as convenient. Although a bit more complicated, this could also be done for Vanilla and TBC raids. The level of the buff would be your choice, based on the size and experience of your raid group.

Rascall

Re: Option to make previous raids more challenging?

#2 » Post by Rascall » 30 Jul 2015 23:00

Isnt this similar to timewalking or how is the retail feature called?scaling older raids/dungeons depending on the group...but if this is to be discussed and eventually approved I dont see a reason why transmogrifications would be denied...
Rascall Retribution/Holy
Rascallus Blood (tank)/Unholy (DPS)
Rascalluz Affliction/Demonology
Rascalles Feral (bear)/Balance
Rascallez Assassination
Rascallis Arms (DPS)/Arms (tank)
Razcall Marksmanship/Survival
Razcallus Fury/Protection
Razcalluz Feral (cat)/Restoration
Razcalles Combat/Subtlety
Razcaellez Beast Mastery
Razcaell Discipline/Holy
Razcaelllus Enhancement/Restoration
Razcaelluz Blood (DPS)/Frost (tank)
Razcaelles Elemental/Spellhance
Razcaellez Arcane/Frostfire
Rascaell Protection
Rascaellus Frost (DPS)/Unholy (tank)
Rascaelluz Fire/Frost
Rascaelles Shadow
Rascaellez Destruction

...and more...

Relina

#3 » Post by Relina » 30 Jul 2015 23:03

I would be okay with this as long as you limit the difficulty changing option to be available only to the Raid Leader.
Truewow: Retired for now.
Peace - Lvl: 80 Paladin

Primalwow: Retired for now.
Relina - Lvl: 70 Paladin

I'm willing to become a stone bridge.
Just...
to catch a glimpse of you passing by.

Nyeriah

#4 » Post by Nyeriah » 30 Jul 2015 23:13

Nay. I don't think this will work out. For a moment I thought I had opened Primal forums by mistake, but nah, not here, it won't really work out. It's too much effort being put into things that no one will use.

ICC has an option to remove the buff to make things more challenging. How many raids have cleared it with the buff disabled since I implemented it? 0.

Unless it's somehow more rewarding, there's little interest on more challenging things. Reminds me of how pissed off people were when they weren't able to stun Putricide oozes. Or wall out Sindragosa's tombs.

No idea, that's my purely honest view on it :D

Myaoming
Former Staff

#5 » Post by Myaoming » 30 Jul 2015 23:17

Although the idea is awesome, I have to agree with Nyeriah. A minority would use this feature unless it's rewarding. But would be cool if Devs work on it when they are bored [emoji14]
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

ItchyVortex

#6 » Post by ItchyVortex » 30 Jul 2015 23:18

But ICC is boring and stall, and with time will become even more tiring. I dont see why this would be bad other than being hard to code and balance.
Esunna, Feral Druid | Elainn, Discipline Priest

Nyeriah

#7 » Post by Nyeriah » 30 Jul 2015 23:22

People don't skip doing Naxx, or Ulduar, or older content because it's easy. They don't do it because they don't have anything to obtain from it. The ones that do, do so over achievements and that's about it. It's not a bad idea, but I don't see many people using it unless there's an additional incentive. They might even do the instances, yet they won't do the buffed versions.

I had however the idea that maybe we could come up with a score, or anything, for the ones that do the "buffed" content. No idea, just something I thought of if this idea indeed goes forward.

Roel
Founder

#8 » Post by Roel » 30 Jul 2015 23:24

Well, it might take me a day of work including testing because I already know how to do most of it. But indeed no point if nobody would use it, hence why I am asking.

I imagine any special rewards would be an absolute no-go for the blizzlike fanatics here. Even if Blizzard implemented something like that at retail recently.

Also please don't mention transmogrification here, it's a completely different implementation and we have already said many times that it won't happen.

Nyeriah

#9 » Post by Nyeriah » 30 Jul 2015 23:28

Well, people like numbers. And achievements. If it's about as far as adding a counter of how many "buffed" Kel'thuzad kills a player has under their character sheet at armory it would probably already get some people interested. Special rewards are indeed off the book imo.

Roel
Founder

#10 » Post by Roel » 30 Jul 2015 23:34

Nyeriah wrote:Well, people like numbers. And achievements. If it's about as far as adding a counter of how many "buffed" Kel'thuzad kills a player has under their character sheet at armory it would probably already get some people interested. Special rewards are indeed off the book imo.
Haha indeed, the possibilities. Something like you would score 100 points if you clear a raid at the highest buff, 50 points with half the buff. And then a ladder that shows who has the most points for all raids combined, and who have used the highest buff for specific raids. Though that would add quite some work to the implementation...

Hansrutger
Former Staff

#11 » Post by Hansrutger » 30 Jul 2015 23:40

Can we have transmogs?

OT: Meh I wouldn't do it, maybe if I was super bored. But if I'm superbored, I would much rather go into icc10n, naxx or ulduar and do something easierfor fun than doing something harder. What's the point if there's nothing to gain? I understand when people wanna do ICC with overgeared players just for the sake of doing something, but doing something for the sake of doing it that is harder than usual, why? 0.o
Retired

I'd say that trying is the best one can do in order to higher themselves from the people crying and only complaining. Whilst you try, it doesn't mean it is always going to be the most successful result but I'd like to think that it is still a better choice than standing idle.

TrueWoW main: Palamaster

BozoBog

#12 » Post by BozoBog » 31 Jul 2015 01:24

Nyeriah wrote: ICC has an option to remove the buff to make things more challenging. How many raids have cleared it with the buff disabled since I implemented it? 0.
I led an icc 25n without a buff once, but we stopped right before LK because our ID bugged and we couldn't invite new players to replace some that had to go, so we ended up with like 22 people. I must say it was more challenging than expected, but it was fun at same time :)
Economist- Demonology Warlock
Eco - Protection/Retribution Paladin
Prevarant - Fury/Prot Warrior
Morgoth - Frost/UH Death Knight
Anduil - Prot/Holy Paladin
Kandilo - Disc/Shadow Priest
Unsated - Restoration Shaman
Blazing - Markmanship Hunter
Hetada - Protection/Retribution Paladin
Izildur - Fire / 1112 Mage

Etro
Honorary Member

#13 » Post by Etro » 31 Jul 2015 01:34

Roel wrote:
Nyeriah wrote:Well, people like numbers. And achievements. If it's about as far as adding a counter of how many "buffed" Kel'thuzad kills a player has under their character sheet at armory it would probably already get some people interested. Special rewards are indeed off the book imo.
Haha indeed, the possibilities. Something like you would score 100 points if you clear a raid at the highest buff, 50 points with half the buff. And then a ladder that shows who has the most points for all raids combined, and who have used the highest buff for specific raids. Though that would add quite some work to the implementation...
+1
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

Bluebell
Former Staff

#14 » Post by Bluebell » 31 Jul 2015 02:52

This is one of those ideas that sounds perfect in principle, but in practice would never be used and simply a waste of resources.

People say they want a challenge, and that they want new stuff, but in reality if you do a ToC or Ulduar without achievements or loot, then you're not going to want to put more effort in to it than normal.
Why join the winning side if you can change the winner?

Roel
Founder

#15 » Post by Roel » 31 Jul 2015 07:34

Meh. Fun to have ideas but moving this to rejected already.