Shadow Priest Guide - End game gear

Justicelight
Donor

Shadow Priest Guide - End game gear

#1 » Post by Justicelight » 10 Mar 2015 11:46

Hi everyone, I am making this guide for showing how a shadow priest should be at end game gear possibility. I have seen another guide and here it will be shown from my point of view.

Introduction
[/size]

Shadow priest is a great tool for raiding, mainly because of the ability to heal others while dpsing and providing good debuff on boss. During your shadow priest experience, if you are opened to learning, you will achieve better positioning skills, more raid awarness and highest efficiency.

Talents and Glyphs
[/size]
[hide="Talents comments"]o Shadow Affinity 3/3, threat reduction as spriest? I find this useful mostly at Lich King in transition phases, when fade is on cd, and at Lady Deathwhisper, where I think the mind control is based on threat related parameters. (Back in the old days, before the dots refreshing real time spell power bug, I used to pull sindragosa and other bosses aggro with spriest. :-s)
o Focused Mind 3/3, mana saving. Good talent to reduce the need of dispersion due to mana issues.
o Inner Focus 0/1. Yea, I totally hate this spell. People find it so mainstream, but i just hate it. It can be a good thing to have, but its only personal chose for me
o Other talents are the usual ones for spriest.[/hide]
Glyphs are self explained. Shackle is a good thing for LK valkyrs, when you push phase.

Stats

Most of the people say that shadow priest has no haste cap. Shadow priest haste cap is at 1269. At that value, with all raid buffs, Vampiric Touch, Mind Blast have a cast time of 1.00 seconds. This is what you must aim for, not more or less, oh well depends on your connection (if you lag, don't care to reach 1269).
Once you reach haste cap, gems value points increase in critical strike rating.

Gemming(*important notes)

Some players recommend breaking the gem bonus from gear if its less than 7 spell power. This is somehow right but it also depends on personal preference.

Haste capped (Which you will get from gear only) :
Red slot: Runed Cardinal Ruby
Yellow slot: 1x Reckless Ametrine then stack Potent Ametrine
Blue slot: Purified Dreadstone

Not haste capped but close to cap:
Red slot: Runed Cardinal Ruby
Yellow slot: Reckless Ametrine until cap then Potent Ametrine
Blue slot: Purified Dreadstone

Enchanting

*Notice the marked enchants. Those are better than what other players usualy use. Speed increase is not needed if you are aware of what's hapening/what will happen around you.

Headslot: Arcanum of Burning Mysteries
Shoulders: Greater Inscription of the Storm
Cloak: Scroll of Enchant Cloak - Greater Speed
*Chest: Scroll of Enchant Chest - Major Spirit
Wrist: Scroll of Enchant Bracers - Exceptional Spellpower
Weapon: Scroll of Enchant Weapon - Mighty Spellpower
Hands: Scroll of Enchant Gloves - Exceptional Spellpower
Waist: Eternal Belt Buckle
Legs: Brilliant Spellthread
*Feet: Scroll of Enchant Boots - Greater Spirit

Best in slot Gear

Headslot: Sanctified Crimson Acolyte Cowl
Shoulders: Sanctified Crimson Acolyte Mantle
Neck: Amulet of the Silent Eulogy
Cloak: Frostbinder's Shredded Cape
Chest:Sanctified Crimson Acolyte Raiments
Wrist: Bracers of Fiery Night
Weapon: Royal Scepter of Terenas II
Offhand: Shadow Silk Spindle
Wand: Corpse-Impaling Spike
Hands: Sanctified Crimson Acolyte Handwraps
Belt: Crushing Coldwraith Belt
Legs: Plaguebringer's Stained Pants
Feet: Plague Scientist's Boots
Ring1: Ring of Rapid Ascent
Ring2: Ashen Band of Endless Destruction
Trinket1: Phylactery of the Nameless Lich
Trinket2: Dislodged Foreign Object

Gear simulation(source: Fastor)

[hide="Gear discussion"]o You can also go for BQ neck ( http://wotlk.openwow.com/item=50724 ) and Council ring ( http://wotlk.openwow.com/item=50714 ) but with that you will need http://wotlk.openwow.com/item=38986 enchant on boots, due to the hit which will drop to 281.

o In the case you are close to bis gear except the Lich King 25hc mace, you can use marrow dagger ( http://wotlk.openwow.com/item=49968 ) togheter with Ruby Sanctum trinket ( http://wotlk.openwow.com/item=54572 ).[/hide]

Rotation

Starting rotation, which I curently use: Vampiric Touch > Mind Blast > Devouring Plague > Mind Flay > Shadow Word: Pain.

Shadow priest do not have a certain rotation of spells in mid fight. Usually you try to keep up the dots and Mind Flay in between. Here there are few things to keep in mind, that might help you.

1. Start casting Vampiric Touch right when the dot timer goes from 2 seconds left to 1 second left. At haste cap, you have 1 second cast on VT, if you include the human response time delay, then you will surely not overlap the new VT dot with old one. The idea is to not overwrite the VT dots, but in case you do, the best time to do it, is to land it right after VT did damage (this is only when you want to overwrite your dots, maybe you will have to move within next seconds).

2. If your target is doted and what's left to do is Mind Flay, do not cast a new Mind Flay untill the old one channeling time has ended. You can use this macro for it, making posible spamming the Mind Flay button and doing it only when they first channeling has ended.

Code: Select all

#showtooltip Mind Flay
/cast [nochanneling:Mind Flay] Mind Flay
3. Should I use Mind Blast or not? Yes, you should, but only when all of your spell power procs are up, time when it can crit up to more than 20 000 damage.

4. Include Fade in your rotation. When? - During Lich King transition phases and the second phase of Lich King (valkyr one) and during Lady Deathwhisper encounter. Aggro can play a factor in being chosen as Raging Spirit target, Valkyr target or Mind Control.

5. Use Shadowfiend ability at the start. Depend on your guild runs, you should be able to know when are they going to use Heroism/Bloodlust and if it's usualy done at the begining, summon your fiend before of it. Most optimal time to do it is after you did the starting rotation presented at the top of this section + One more full time Mind Flay channeling. By doing Fiend right at the begining, you increase the chances of having it ready once more during the same encounter.

Addons

- Power Auras: very good for tracking dots.
- Dhud3: Hp/mana bars right in middle of the screen.

My personal experience

Here are some numbers if I can recall them corectly which I did with my priest: Aspiration:

Marrowgar: 14-15000+ dps
Lady Deathwhisper: 16000+
Gunship: afk :D
Saurfang: 18000+ (before dots bug fix, 21000)
Fester: 15000 -+
Rotface: 15000 -+
Profesor Putricide: 13500+
Council: can't recall
Blood Queen: I think around 25000 sometime -+ 2k dps.
Sindragosa: 14000+
Lich King: I end up dying/healing raid/cc'ing. Minimum 12k dps.

Thanks for reading this and please open any topic of discussion related to priest here, I will answer your questions.

The BiS gear list coresponds to pre-RS25hc gear. Will be updated upon opening.

Have a great day !
Last edited by Justicelight on 13 Dec 2015 00:37, edited 7 times in total.
"I write about the power of trying, because I want to be okay with failing. I write about generosity because I battle selfishness. I write about joy because I know sorrow. I write about faith because I almost lost mine, and I know what it is to be broken and in need of redemption. I write about gratitude because I am thankful - for all of it."

Justicelight
Donor

Re: Shadow Priest Guide - End game gear

#2 » Post by Justicelight » 10 Mar 2015 11:47

**Updated bis list: added offhand link.
**Added new section: Rotation.
Last edited by Justicelight on 11 Mar 2015 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
"I write about the power of trying, because I want to be okay with failing. I write about generosity because I battle selfishness. I write about joy because I know sorrow. I write about faith because I almost lost mine, and I know what it is to be broken and in need of redemption. I write about gratitude because I am thankful - for all of it."

veina

#3 » Post by veina » 10 Mar 2015 12:17

Justice making spriest guide :shock: , Set sail fooor waaaaaaaaaait fooooooor iit

faaail ^_^
All that we see or seem,Is but a dream within a dream.
Thunderan
Veinas

scoobydobedo

#4 » Post by scoobydobedo » 10 Mar 2015 12:31

ok
Last edited by Guest on 10 Mar 2015 13:13, edited 1 time in total.

Wilcox

#5 » Post by Wilcox » 10 Mar 2015 12:43

[quote="scoobydobedo"][/quote]
jelly

Justicelight
Donor

#6 » Post by Justicelight » 10 Mar 2015 12:55

[quote="scoobydobedo"][/quote]

I made this to show what's the best thing to get, which gems to use, gear options which can count as alternative, what should people wish for when they go and do heroic icc 25 raids and how to get their maximum theorical potential from the char with end game gear, practical potential being the one that contains the human yield coeficient aswell.

[hide="Spicy offtopic"]Lol, I try to look at every single post you make and 90% of them are bashing. I know you quited some time ago, and wailing on forums under another name, or multiple, while you came back to play aswell, but please step aside from my topic.

As for the last line of your comment, you used to brag to me how many chars you have and so and also take a look at your account manager(because you have them in your signature) and remember how many of those are truly yours before pointing out the same as me. Just because yours has 6311 gs and mine has 133 more you should have this opinion? Oh well, be it in your way then, no names given.[/hide]

testeromir

#7 » Post by testeromir » 10 Mar 2015 13:23

Imo haste>crit even after 1269.
Truewow:
Proghaan
Testera
Woden
Taman
Mudu
Testeram
Gemark
Frithell
Nibghaan

Primalwow:
Proghaan

Eisen
Donor

#8 » Post by Eisen » 10 Mar 2015 14:45

I bet 95% of the discussions that arises here are purely because it was JL who made the thread, not because of what it's actually about :P

Anyway, I agree with what I picked up at a glance, sp4lyf (well... when I eventually start playing again) - you might want to note that spacegoats don't need to worry about hit-rating offsets much at all

My talents are slightly different: http://www.truewow.org/talent-calculato ... RfzffqfkAo with Psychic Horror for whenever something needs a stun.
Last edited by Eisen on 10 Mar 2015 14:58, edited 2 times in total.
Eisenlicht - Eisenfaust - Shai - Eisenblitz - SyntaxError - Revan - Nugget - Eisen - Necriss - Heka
I SHALL RIDE ETERNAL, SHINY AND CHROME!
bnet: Eisen#2183

Fastor

#9 » Post by Fastor » 10 Mar 2015 14:47

Justice, please. Make those links properly :(

[url=www.somewhere.com]Here type name of item[/url]

Justicelight
Donor

#10 » Post by Justicelight » 10 Mar 2015 15:16

Fastor wrote:Justice, please. Make those links properly :(

[url=www.somewhere.com]Here type name of item[/url]
Ty, done.

Myaoming
Former Staff

#11 » Post by Myaoming » 10 Mar 2015 15:55

Nice and short guide!

It's more optimal to get a bit higher than the haste cap to counter the few milliseconds lag. I always recommend 1.3k Haste for Warlocks, I guess it could apply for SPriests as well :)
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

Fastor

#12 » Post by Fastor » 10 Mar 2015 16:11

Myaoming wrote:Nice and short guide!

It's more optimal to get a bit higher than the haste cap to counter the few milliseconds lag. I always recommend 1.3k Haste for Warlocks, I guess it could apply for SPriests as well :)
And for arcane mages too if we talk about lower end cap. For higher its about 1350 which is most difficult :\

Kindzadza
Former Staff

#13 » Post by Kindzadza » 10 Mar 2015 16:32

I would rather go with the Ruby Sanctum trinket over DFO. The haste difference is small, but the burst you get from the RS one is way better. :P

Fastor

#14 » Post by Fastor » 10 Mar 2015 17:25

Here is one more picture for your guide. Its gear setup you mention (plus l added OH and Meta Gem) but only stats from gear, so no racial or any other bonus is on.

Nyeriah

#15 » Post by Nyeriah » 10 Mar 2015 17:31

Eisen wrote:I bet 95% of the discussions that arises here are purely because it was JL who made the thread, not because of what it's actually about :P
Justice's guides gets all the boys to the yard :(

It's a nice guide though