Crown

Re: Death Knight DPS Specs.

#16 » Post by Crown » 26 Feb 2014 17:09

Which means going into unholy + 3 talents less in frost. :cross:

Myaoming
Former Staff

#17 » Post by Myaoming » 26 Feb 2014 23:25

0/2 Chill of the Grave and 4/5 Killing Machine for 3x BCB. This is for ArP build mainly.
I actually made some old calculations, taking in consideration an average FS damage.. BCB hits were compensating the damage loss from having less FSes cast due to the absence of Chill of the Grave, even without 100% ArP.
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

Crown

#18 » Post by Crown » 27 Feb 2014 17:49

Today i have tested BCB On Lk25 encounter, and i can tell you this :
(I am 100% ArPen capped)
BCB did ~200K Damage total
I had 180 Obliterates and Howling Blasts = 28 Frost Strikes
Let's say the lowest possible number, 20k for Frost Strike (Both hands)
28*20k=560k
So, who's the winner here?
Chill of the Grave + 1 Killing Machine.

Conclusion : Go either Blood or Unholy subspec without BCB.

Myaoming
Former Staff

#19 » Post by Myaoming » 27 Feb 2014 18:07

So you had both 2x Chill of the Grave, 5x KM and 3x BCB? Mhm.. I want to see a recount please with the number of OBs and HBs, FS's average damage dealt/hit and the count of BCB hits with the damage done.

Unfortunately, I do not play WoW anymore so I cannot retest this, but I was pretty sure of my math back then.

Crown

#20 » Post by Crown » 27 Feb 2014 18:44

Don't have it recorded, but i made a test now at a dummy.
The 48K number is the average Frost Strike Main Hand damage (Didn't mentioned offhand, but you can assume) VS 53K BCB Damage.
Difference becomes even more significant during a raid.
http://postimg.org/image/jua0bv7xf/

Myaoming
Former Staff

#21 » Post by Myaoming » 27 Feb 2014 19:57

You mean, this 48k is the average damage done by the extra FSes from Chill of the Grave. Yeah I did the math and got the same number.
But you must know that it's the damage done by both weapons, not just your main hand. To make sure, divide FS' total damage done (both weapons) by the count: 213365 / 38 = ~5614.8. Now check the average crit in your recount, it says 6161. Logically, if that "6161" is just your main hand's damage, then the number you got from that last division should be higher, even higher than 6161 since most of your FSes are crits, which is not the case here.

Well in raids, FS' damage is improved by spell damage buffs like Curse of the Elements, however BCB procs more due to an increased haste... The rest of the buffs should be affecting both simultaneously.
But meh, let's not forget about this stupid bug that is already affecting FS outside raids to start with...

BCB with 100% ArP should win over the extra FSes easily with working damage modifiers...

Crown

#22 » Post by Crown » 27 Feb 2014 21:35

My bad, wasn't aware that recount shows overall dps, (but only mh one)
But that still leaves Blood vs Unholy as subspec.

ribbaribbahey

#23 » Post by ribbaribbahey » 05 May 2014 19:49

Relina wrote:
Link to 1 variation of the popular frost dps spec on TW.

Link to a Blood dps spec.
Frost with no Annihilation simply can't work. The fault of the blood subspec is the missing hit, sadly.

About blood:
this is dark death spec
http://www.truewow.org/talent-calculato ... hxc:ILG0Mm

and this is disease spec
http://www.truewow.org/talent-calculato ... hxc:IpG0Mm

Ribbaz - 2300 2v2 Enhancement
Pokimans - 2100 2v2 Fire
Cazzuto - Arms PvE / 1950 2v2
Dextr - Blood Dps PvE / Frost "priority list" Dps PvE
Ribba - Beast Mastery PvP / Survival PvE

My Enhancement PvP guide

Relina

#24 » Post by Relina » 05 May 2014 20:16

ribbaribbahey wrote:
Relina wrote:
Link to 1 variation of the popular frost dps spec on TW.

Link to a Blood dps spec.
Frost with no Annihilation simply can't work. The fault of the blood subspec is the missing hit, sadly.

About blood:
this is dark death spec
http://www.truewow.org/talent-calculato ... hxc:ILG0Mm

and this is disease spec
http://www.truewow.org/talent-calculato ... hxc:IpG0Mm
Oops seems I missed Annihilation when I was filling out the talent tree lol, anyways corrected the original post.

About the Blood spec I linked, given the bug with Rune Grace Mechanic it is quite hard to run a proper Blood Dps (Dark Death) spec with only 1/2 Epidemic, I found it easier to maintain a full rotation with 2/2 Epidemic.
Truewow: Retired for now.
Peace - Lvl: 80 Paladin

Primalwow: Retired for now.
Relina - Lvl: 70 Paladin

I'm willing to become a stone bridge.
Just...
to catch a glimpse of you passing by.

Rascall

#25 » Post by Rascall » 05 May 2014 20:43

is bloodworms now fixed?proper damage and healing?as u have it in your spec...
Rascall Retribution/Holy
Rascallus Blood (tank)/Unholy (DPS)
Rascalluz Affliction/Demonology
Rascalles Feral (bear)/Balance
Rascallez Assassination
Rascallis Arms (DPS)/Arms (tank)
Razcall Marksmanship/Survival
Razcallus Fury/Protection
Razcalluz Feral (cat)/Restoration
Razcalles Combat/Subtlety
Razcaellez Beast Mastery
Razcaell Discipline/Holy
Razcaelllus Enhancement/Restoration
Razcaelluz Blood (DPS)/Frost (tank)
Razcaelles Elemental/Spellhance
Razcaellez Arcane/Frostfire
Rascaell Protection
Rascaellus Frost (DPS)/Unholy (tank)
Rascaelluz Fire/Frost
Rascaelles Shadow
Rascaellez Destruction

...and more...

ribbaribbahey

#26 » Post by ribbaribbahey » 05 May 2014 21:00

They say they are. Still better than before, but I am not convinced. in first place about their damage: a retail video i found shows that they do 3 time more the dmg every simulator shows. But besides that, worms' uptime is not full, i mean that they spawn and fade, then there is some time when they don't spawn, then they spawn again and the cycle repeats. Worms should have 100% uptime.

Ribbaz - 2300 2v2 Enhancement
Pokimans - 2100 2v2 Fire
Cazzuto - Arms PvE / 1950 2v2
Dextr - Blood Dps PvE / Frost "priority list" Dps PvE
Ribba - Beast Mastery PvP / Survival PvE

My Enhancement PvP guide

Crown

#27 » Post by Crown » 19 Sep 2014 14:31

This post will have a lot of contradiction, because I have been supporting a frost-blood build for the sole reason, Frost Strike spam.
It will help you in terms of higher Frost Strike damage, but it's an illusion, Obliterates are the most important ability that a Frost DK can use.
Frost-Unholy build is by far superior for both strength and ArPen build. It gives you the possibility to have one extra Obliterate (3 in a row) as opposed to a Frost-Blood build.
Don't have it recorded, but i made a test now at a dummy.
The 48K number is the average Frost Strike Main Hand damage (Didn't mentioned offhand, but you can assume) VS 53K BCB Damage.
Difference becomes even more significant during a raid.
http://postimg.org/image/jua0bv7xf/
It's worth mentioning that during time I got this data, I was focussed more on Frost Strike spamming rather than on Obliterate.
Blood-Caked Blade talent, on a 100% ArPen capped Frost Death Knight is actually more valuable than Necrosis. (In terms of DPS/talent)
Simulations and tests are showing that it is better to drop Black Ice than Chilled of the Grave for the end game build, which is going for ArPen cap. It is true that Black Ice pretty much buffs death knight's every ability that is dependant on shadow/frost damage, but it's only 2% shadow and frost damage increase per talent point, so, it's more of an AoE than a single-target DPS talent.
Possibility to weave more Frost Strikes while your runes are on cooldown is a DPS gain over shadow and frost damage increase.
However, the only scenario where it is viable to drop Chill of the Grave is when you're wasting a lot runic power. Example of this would be having a restoration druid/s specced into Revitalize. If they are common to raids where you're going, then I'd suggest dropping even 2 points of Chill.
I'd also like to correct myself on the post where I said that Blood-Caked Blade does damage on main-hand only. It also does damage on off-hand, like Necrosis.
Oops seems I missed Annihilation when I was filling out the talent tree lol, anyways corrected the original post.

About the Blood spec I linked, given the bug with Rune Grace Mechanic it is quite hard to run a proper Blood Dps (Dark Death) spec with only 1/2 Epidemic, I found it easier to maintain a full rotation with 2/2 Epidemic.
You can still manage to have 100% diseases uptime while having 1/2 in Epidemic. The way I see it, it's about your current itemization. If you reached the hit cap (which is 263 for alliance and 289 for horde faction) go for 1/2 Epidemic because you cannot miss an Icy Touch and you can afford it. Otherwise I'd go with 2/2 Epidemic.
As for Morbidity and Ravenous Dead, it also comes down to a death knight's current itemization. I'd advise using a simulator on that matter. I personally use Kahorie's as it has given me the most accurate results.
They say they are. Still better than before, but I am not convinced. in first place about their damage: a retail video i found shows that they do 3 time more the dmg every simulator shows. But besides that, worms' uptime is not full, i mean that they spawn and fade, then there is some time when they don't spawn, then they spawn again and the cycle repeats. Worms should have 100% uptime.
As for the damage part, you're right that they low damage compared to retail-like bloodworms. On the uptime matter, it depends on Weapon Speed, Haste, Hit and RNG. (Since it depends on melee hits). Bloodworms are up 20 seconds or until they are killed. I am pretty sure that they cannot be "refreshed" during the time the are alive. So it's impossible to have 100% uptime.