Nyaneve's Discipline PvE guide

Keep the trash in order ! Need to recycle :)
Nyaneve

Nyaneve's Discipline PvE guide

#1 » Post by Nyaneve » 18 Sep 2012 17:30

INTRODUCTION -
Finally willing to look beyond the 'PvP Spec' stereotype?
Let me begin by how I chose Disc for PvE. I got bored of raiding on my Assassination Rogue alone, felt like healing, rolled a priest and rolled Holy.
Why Holy? Because they said so. I hated it.... No matter what I did, I was as bad as the 'Bads'. Besides, it was boring as hell. It totally wasn't my style.
You will NOT like Disc if you like seeing big, green number floating around your screen, or if you PuG a lot (wtf PvP spec noob, right?).
So, if you're reading this guide (and hopefully thinking of rerolling Disc at the end of it :P), its probably because -
1. You're tired of Holy.
2. You're a Mod just doing your job.
3. You're a troll who wants to post 'disco Pve noooob!!!11'

DISCIPLINE IN PvE -
Why Disc? Simple, you bring a buttload of raid support. Theres a LOT to it, but the main attractions are -
1. 3% reduced raid-wide damage with Renewed Hope (Yes, Minister).
2. Prevention is better than the cure.
3. Cool stuff like Pain Suppression and Power Infusion.

TALENT SPECIALIZATION & GLYPHS-
We can safely say that a Priest's Discipline talent tree would vary very little from one player to another, as our tree is bottom-heavy. Also, dipping in Holy makes us do better in our role, and that is raid survival through absorption and damage reduction (Read: Inspiration).
This is what your talent specialization should look like.
NOTE: Those last 5 talent points can go ANYWHERE you fancy, sweetie. I'm serious, you're being spoilt for choice here. Pick Improved Flash Heal if you want to throw around a few of those, or how about Improved Renew? Maybe Reflective Shield cos its uber cool? Hell, max out Spell Warding. Do whatever you feel like.
The 3rd major glyph is also completely optional. OFC, leaving it blank would be stupid, so put it a Glyph of Flash Heal if you use FH in your free spots, or maybe Glyph of Prayer of Healing if you use that. Again, its dependant on your playstyle.

STAT PRIORITY -

Endgame 10-man Shielding/Healing: SP > Haste > Crit > Intellect > MP5/Spirit
Endgame 25-man Shielding/Healing: SP > Haste (until soft cap) > Crit > Haste > Intellect > MP5/Spirit
From my point of view, SP=SP=SP.
Pure SP is better than crit or haste as it increases the damage absorption of your PW:S, along with the rest of your heals. Most heals already have pretty high crit chances due to talents, buffs etc., IMO making crit not as useful as SP, while you get an ample amount of haste from Borrowed Time. If you're not aware, Divine Aegis uses a percentage of healing done to the target and forms a protective shield around said target, once again, making SP the more viable option.
There is always a heated debate regarding spirit and Mp5 as regeneration stats. As the mechanics are now, 1 point of spirit gives 0.45 Mp5, scaling with various buffs, and intellect also, i.e., mana regen from Spirit increases with buffs like Divine Spirit or Dalarin Intellect. Usually, in most items, there is 1 point of Mp5 while the opposing spirit item of the same ilvl will have 2 points of spirit to counter that. Due to spirit-intellect scaling, at around 2000 intellect, spirit becomes the better regen stat than Mp5. But this is nothing to lose sleep over.
Now if you're still interested in this, let me put it this way -
Below 2000 Intellect, Spirit = Mp5
Above 2000 Intellect, Spirit would just edge out Mp5.

GEMS -
Assuming you're going to be looking to maximize the damage absorption of PW:S,
Red: Runed Cardinal Ruby
Blue: Runed Cardinal Ruby
Yellow: [Runed Cardinal Ruby
Yes, stack Runed Cardinal Ruby. If you're just neurotic and are hopelessly intent on going for the socket bonuses -
Red: Runed Cardinal Ruby
Blue: Purified Dreadstone or Royal Dreadstone
Yellow: Reckless Ametrine
All Jewelcrafters must useRuned Dragon's Eye as their profession-specific gem.

ENCHANTS -

Head: Arcanum of Blissful Mending (Wyrmrest Accord)
Shoulder: Greater Inscription of the Crag (Sons of Hodir) or Master's Inscription of the Crag (for Scribes)
Back: Greater Haste (Enchanting) or Lightweave Embroidery/Darkglow Embroidery (for Tailors)
Chest: Either Exceptional Mana/Powerful Stats (Enchanting)
Wrist: Superior Spellpower (Enchanting) or Fur Lining - Spell Power (for Leatherworkers)
Gloves: Exceptional Spellpower or Hyperspeed Accelerators (for Engineers who prefer the Haste-on-demand).
Legs: Brilliant Spellthread (Tailoring) or Sanctified Spellthread (for Tailors).
Boots: Tuskarr's Vitality or Nitro Boosts (for those who prefer the MS-on-demand).
Ring: Spellpower (for Enchanters ONLY).
Weapon: Greater Spellpower (Enchanting) if you use a Staff, or Mighty Spellpower (Enchanting) if you use a MH+OH combo.

CONSUMABLES -
Tender Shoveltusk Steak
Scroll of Intellect VIII
Flask of the Frost Wyrm
PS: Flask of the North does NOT benefit from Mixology. Therefore, i recommend Spellpower Elixir and Elixir of Mighty Thoughts or Flask of the Frost Wyrm for Alchemists (if you can afford it).

GEAR -

Head: Sanctified Crimson Acolyte Hood (T10 Healer Set)
Neck: Bone Sentinel's Amulet (Lord Marrowgar 25) or Blood Queen's Crimson Choker (Blood Queen Lana'thel 25)
Shoulders: Sanctified Crimson Acolyte Shoulderpads (T10 Healer Set)
Back:Greatcloak of the Turned Champion(Deathbringer Saurfang 25) or Frostbinder's Shredded Cape (Valithria Dreamwalker 25)
Chest: Sanctified Crimson Acolyte Robe (T10 Healer Set)
Wrists: Death Surgeon's Sleeves (Rotface 25)
Hands:San'layn Ritualist Gloves (Blood Prince Council 25) or Gloves of Ambivalence (Emblem of Frost Quartermaster)
Waist: Lingering Illness (Festergut 25) or Crushing Coldwraith Belt (Lord Marrowgar 25)
Legs: Sanctified Crimson Acolyte Leggings (T10 Healer Set)
Feet: Plague Scientist's Boots (Festergut 25) or Sandals of Consecration (Item Level 264 Crafted)
Ring 1: Ashen Band of Endless Wisdom (The Ashen Verdict - Exalted)
Ring 2: Memory of Malygos (Sindragosa 25) or Ring of Maddening Whispers (Lady Deathwhisper 25) or Marrowgar's Frigid Eye (Lord Marrowgar 25) or Incarnadine Band of Mending (Blood Prince Council 25)
Trinket 1: Purified Lunar Dust (Emblem of Frost Quartermaster)
Trinket 2: Solace of the Defeated/Solace of the Fallen (Lord Jaraxxus 25) or Sliver of Pure Ice (Lord Marrowgar 10)
Main Hand: Royal Scepter of Terenas II (Lich King 25) or Frozen Bonespike (Lord Marrowgar 25)
Off Hand: Shadow Silk Spindle (Blood Prince Council 25) or Sundial of Eternal Dusk (Sindragosa 25)
Staff: Archus, Greatstaff of Antonidas (Lich King 25)
Wand: Corpse-Impaling Spike (Rotface 25) or Nightmare Ender (Valithria Dreamwalker 25)
NOTE: Like I said before, there is barely any difference between mana regen from Spirit and Mp5. The way you could go about this is by taking the spirit items if you possess a Holy offspec, and intellect items if you possess a Shadow offspec.

THIS IS HOW WE DO IT -

Power Word: Shield is your bread-and-butter spell. It is so important to learn when and how to use it, and that is something that comes with experience. Also, Penance has a 8-second cooldown, so timing it is also essential.
Flash Heal, Binding Heal, Renew, Greater Heal, Prayer of Mending, and Prayer of Healing each have their own places as well, depending on the situation.
If somehow, you're being designated as a healer in those dungeons... then cast Flash Heals on the tank as well as the mandatory pre-Shielding+PoM (casting Shield before pulling; pulling when Weakened Soul wears off). Save your Shield/Penance when the tank takes spike damage. Shielding your party goes a long way, and PoH will see more use here.
If you're tank healing in raids, boss damage can be severe for Flash Heal alone to handle, so you should cast Penance and Power Word: Shield on CD (while filling up with Prayer of Mending, Renew, Flash Heal, and Greater Heal). Try getting more Haste and Crit (without gimping Spell Power), because you'll be relying on Divine Aegis for extra absorbs. A Discipline Priest's HPS output is generally too small for heroic raid bosses, even while taking into account your absorbs.

AFTERWORD -

Well, that just about concludes my guide. If you have any queries, find any errors or have any suggestions, please let me know.
I really hope that you found this guide useful, and helped you look beyond the stereotype of the Discipline tree.
PS: I don't claim full credit for this guide, it's all taken from various EJ/MMO-C posts and its just been shortened (because a lot of people don't like trawling through large posts).
Last edited by Nyaneve on 23 Mar 2013 10:20, edited 28 times in total.

Sanity

Re: Nyaneve's Discipline PvE guide

#2 » Post by Sanity » 18 Sep 2012 17:45

Nice guide. Although it appears to miss a clarification/discussion of spell priorities.

Although it's never been my main, I played Disc since the beginning of WotLK. Tried Holy a few times, but couldn't understand that spec no matter what. Pity indeed Disc PvE is frowned upon so often.

Ragnorak
Donor

#3 » Post by Ragnorak » 18 Sep 2012 17:53

disco Pve nooooob!!!!11 lol jk anyways disc priests are very essential to high end raids, in our icc25hc runs we go out of our way to find disc priests becuz the damage reduction given to us especially on marrowgar's flame is priceless
Lok'tar ogar! Victory or death - it is these words that bind me to the Horde. For they are the most sacred and fundamental of truths to any warrior of the Horde.

I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - FOR THE HORDE!

Intervention
Former Staff

#4 » Post by Intervention » 19 Sep 2012 02:58

There only few of us on this server...
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

Cover25

#5 » Post by Cover25 » 19 Sep 2012 03:02

Intervention wrote:There only few of us on this server...
my priest is disc !

Intervention
Former Staff

#6 » Post by Intervention » 19 Sep 2012 03:10

There are only so few of us that are good on this server.

:twisted:
Chicken, Fried Chicken

Cover25

#7 » Post by Cover25 » 19 Sep 2012 03:27

Intervention wrote:There are only so few of us that are good on this server.

:twisted:
Words hurt.

Intervention
Former Staff

#8 » Post by Intervention » 19 Sep 2012 03:52

<3 D:
Chicken, Fried Chicken

Kindzadza
Former Staff

#9 » Post by Kindzadza » 19 Sep 2012 09:52

Basically you use the same offset as for Shadow.. Spirit/mp5 is not priority,nor is haste that much.I also gem 23 sp on red/blue,but on orange I gem spell power+intelect becase at the end with buffs and stuff,you will gain more critical than just spell power+critical gems.

Anyway I'd choose the Blood chocker over Holiday's Grace.

And Peithne is nub disco priest.

Nyaneve

#10 » Post by Nyaneve » 19 Sep 2012 15:27

Like I said, I haven't been able to obtain all of the pieces on my list. Most of my DKP was used on gearing my Rogue, and even with discounts, I felt too stingy to buy Blood Queen's Crimson Choker from my GB. I just went with what is widely accepted, and also given a fair mention to the other items which are very similar. Holiday's Grace and Blood Queen's Crimson Choker hardly differ. HG gives MP5 while BQCC gives Haste and +5 critical rating, the other stats are EXACTLY the same.
Whichever item you pick, there is not going to be much difference in your performance because they are too close to each other for anything to have a huge impact. BiS lists are compiled considering the most minute stats, while in reality, comparing the various items would be like comparing apples to apples (i.e., 20-30 DPS/HPS). Many people demand a strong 'GET THIS PIECE OF SHIT ITS BEST FOR YOU', which is why i earmarked some items in the list. They can't think out of the box, and adhere strictly to what Toskk or Aldriana or Landsoul said, ignoring even the most blaring upgrades which come and fart in their faces.
Coming onto the gem, thank you for suggesting Luminous Ametrine, I had totally forgotten about that.
On a side note, added a NTK spells section like Ragnorak suggested
Last edited by Nyaneve on 20 Sep 2012 05:49, edited 1 time in total.

Intervention
Former Staff

#11 » Post by Intervention » 19 Sep 2012 16:22

Sundrak do you change color or something when you type because in Tapatalk your text is white and only you have white text and I can't read it lol...
Chicken, Fried Chicken

Nyaneve

#12 » Post by Nyaneve » 30 Oct 2012 14:26

Added links and consumable and did some grammar shizz

innocentguy

#13 » Post by innocentguy » 24 Dec 2012 10:58

I personally go for Crit as 2nd highest priority after Spellpower (in terms of throughput). More Divine Aegis never hurt anyone.

I am also considering getting rid of all spirit and stacking Intellect for mana recovery, thoughts?
No one is simply entitled to anything in this world.
Whatever you want, you have to earn, be it money, respect or love.
[/color]
My Innocents:

Innocentguy - Priest ( Shadow / Discipline )
Innocence - Shaman ( Elemental / Restoration )
InnocentIcon - Death Knight ( Blood {Tank} / Unholy {DPS} )
Innocentshot - Hunter ( Marksmanship / Survival )
Innocentone - Druid ( Restoration / Feral {DPS} )
Innocenthope - Paladin ( Retribution / Holy )
~ In the end, Innocence is Brilliant ~

Kindzadza
Former Staff

#14 » Post by Kindzadza » 24 Dec 2012 12:42

Yeap,spirit/haste is your lowest priority. I personally play with 4 pieces of the T10 for healing and the rest of the offsets are the items I use for shadow. :p

Vaen

#15 » Post by Vaen » 24 Dec 2012 17:36

Awesome guide, would be nice nonetheless if you could clarify stats priority: after haste softcap sp/int gems are used on yellow sockets but what is the value of crit compared to haste past softcap and mp5. I personally would feel uncomfortable gemming 10 crit on a disc priest now that I think about it. Guess with icc buff I'd got with more mp5 pieces than haste or crit pieces after having reached softcap
Vaen - Human Warrior
Verwandlung - Human Lock
Parallel - Human Priest

Follow me on Twitch