[Rejected] Suggestions Regarding Population & Progress

Discarnate

[Rejected] Suggestions Regarding Population & Progress

#1 » Post by Discarnate » 26 Jul 2012 18:36

Whether the server's gaining or losing population remains debatable. As a veteran leaves, a new player joins. However, overall, it has faced a bit of a decline recently for multiple reasons. It's very safe to say that our good old server is at its last leg. If something isn't done right now, we'll see the end of it. It may sound harsh, but I can see it being the truth.

I've once again compiled a few suggestions that may work with it for the better while still keeping the essence of the server intact.

1. Create a little, voluntary Dev team (even if it consists of one person) who will constantly look for bugs and apply custom fixes. It does not have to be a big team who do aggressive fixes. Just something from time to time. Little things that make gameplay miserable for some classes.

No, it does not matter whether everything is complied with Trinity Core. Nobody cares. What people care about is looking at a talent and seeing it not working. The Dev team could then scan the Internet for proofs and also Trinity Core commits to confirm how they're supposed to be working. They can also simply read the talents. They can, then, push those fixes despite the Trinity patches and include them with every update.

I know a guy whose name shall remain undisclosed (15 years old only) and he has managed to fix all those little things (talents, pet damage, VMAP, pathing, Sindy tombs, etc). No, it's not me. I'm 24 and not gifted with programming. But, the point is, little work can result in a 100% working WOTLK server. Or at least, 99% where everybody could play all specs of all classes without a worry. =) Things like these look good on the server resume.

P.S. The first few custom updates could be aggressive and address a large amount of little bugs. Once they're fixed, they Dev team can be very relaxed since we're not moving up with patches. For example, the talent "Sexified Healing" doesn't provide healing buff of 69%. The Dev team made it so but couldn't balance it right away, so now it gives either 65% or 73% healing buff. That's okay. They can adjust it in later updates, but that little bit is enough to make people happy. To acknowledge the fact that, no, all my talents work and are only getting more balanced with each update. =)

2. Start up a secondary 1x Blizzlike Cataclysm realm along with our WOTLK one. This will attract a huge amount of crowd (but you already knew that). Here, THREE possible things may happen. I'll list all three.

First -- We'll have a moderately sized Blizzlike Cataclysm realm alongside our WOTLK one. Both populated by different or the same people.

Second -- Some of those Cataclysm incomers will discover this wonderful new WOTLK server and rather make a character here instead. Mind games. =)

Third -- The Cataclysm server will do very well, and most of our TrueWoW players will update and thus we can shut the WOTLK one forever by giving the WOTLK realm players a choice to upgrade their 80s into the Cataclysm realm much like retail.

Any of the three possible results are good for us.

P.S. To make this work properly, we can merge accounts for WOTLK and Cataclysm. So that, one account could play both. MoP's around the corner, the same thing that happened to TBC servers when Cataclysm came out will happen to WOTLK servers when MoP comes out. There's no decent 1x Blizzlike Cataclysm server that's not cross-faction and doesn't provide donation gear. You can do your math. Just a thought. =)

Thanks for reading my suggestions.
Law Student | Professional Musician

"Those who are heartless, once cared too much."

Discarnate: Shaman [PvP] Enh. - 5/5 Wrathful ~ [PvE] Enh. - 6389 GS
Discussion: Warrior [PvP] Arms - 4/5 Wrathful ~ [PvE] Fury - 6566 GS
Discalceate: Druid [PvP] Feral - 4/5 Wrathful ~ [PvE] Cat - 6356 GS
Discordance: DK [PvP] Unh. - 4/5 Wrathful ~ [PvE] Unh. - 6194 GS

Armory links embedded.

Former guild Leader of "Hellraisers", a Horde guild.

junkstar

Re: Suggestions Regarding Population & Progress

#2 » Post by junkstar » 26 Jul 2012 18:58

imo, the catac server project is not a good idea. for some reason i find it too simple... simple in terms of the talent build. catac talents is like taking the whole tree. i also tried several catac servers and unfortunately the bosses on those server instances are scriptless(if you can provide a full script instance then ignore what ive just said about scriptless instances).

the only thing that attracts me to play catac server is the new smexy race...tho i suggest that we make an instant lvl 80 pvp server to test talents and to attract ppl who are lazy to lvl a toon to lvl 80 and only wants pew pew in BGs.

pls dont get mad if i said something against your mindset, im just stating my opinion here.

Arandomplayer

#3 » Post by Arandomplayer » 26 Jul 2012 20:08

Yes, I personally like how pre-cata talent tree looks like, more numerous, big cool icons. But yet I know many people just read posts by some “cool dudes” on forums saying that : “OMFG Cata sucks!” etc then, by that, they falsely judge that Cata is not a good expansion without giving enough time to examine the new expansion with serious thoughts and consider. Of course, I totally agree either wotlk and cata has its own pros and cons, and many people miss the old lore and everyone have their own tastes. but I disagree the way people treat Cata like “garbage”. I have been wow player since vanilla and now I am playing Cata on retail, and it’s not hard for all of us to realize that Cata is, overall, a better expansion.

Heihachi
Developer

Suggestions Regarding Population & Progress

#4 » Post by Heihachi » 26 Jul 2012 21:25

I would like to see our old instant 80 pvp server back :P I miss them days

Discarnate

#5 » Post by Discarnate » 26 Jul 2012 21:27

God, that was a ghastly idea. =S
Law Student | Professional Musician

"Those who are heartless, once cared too much."

Discarnate: Shaman [PvP] Enh. - 5/5 Wrathful ~ [PvE] Enh. - 6389 GS
Discussion: Warrior [PvP] Arms - 4/5 Wrathful ~ [PvE] Fury - 6566 GS
Discalceate: Druid [PvP] Feral - 4/5 Wrathful ~ [PvE] Cat - 6356 GS
Discordance: DK [PvP] Unh. - 4/5 Wrathful ~ [PvE] Unh. - 6194 GS

Armory links embedded.

Former guild Leader of "Hellraisers", a Horde guild.

Cover25

#6 » Post by Cover25 » 26 Jul 2012 23:12

Discarnate wrote:God, that was a ghastly idea. =S
/agree

narcissa

#7 » Post by narcissa » 26 Jul 2012 23:13

Discarnate wrote:There's no decent 1x Blizzlike Cataclysm server that's not cross-faction and doesn't provide donation gear. You can do your math. Just a thought. =)
Did you mean TBC server by any chance?

Either way, once again I agree with the first suggestion, I've tried to push towards that way in the past too and few steps were made, it wouldn't be bad to go further.

About the second, I have my doubts and the reason isn't just my personal opinion about Cata, but more because it still being too much bugged and under development, I believe we don't have enough staff members with enough time to dedicate to more bugs and such. If it would be possible to make a bigger dev team that can divide its time between 2 servers would be nice, but at the moment I find it hard to work at least decently.

Intervention
Former Staff

#8 » Post by Intervention » 27 Jul 2012 01:59

Heihachi is technically our first dev. Thing is he doesn't exactly do custom fixes for the core. Now, we have 2 custom fixes at the moment and they have caused problems already such as server crashes, inability to compile the new core with the custom fix and so on. We would need someone experienced. The problem is not finding someone that can fix it. The problem is finding someone that can fix it and make it compatible with trinity core.

As for cataclysm. We discussed this a few times amongst staff. Heihachi was to provide a build and we could have tried it on his server. Already from hearing what he has to say about it is its very unstable and our limited staff and devs will not be able to give a buggy cata the love and care it deserves.

No. No instant 80s. No.
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

Flexall
Donor

#9 » Post by Flexall » 27 Jul 2012 02:20

Intervention wrote:As for cataclysm. We discussed this a few times amongst staff. Heihachi was to provide a build and we could have tried it on his server. Already from hearing what he has to say about it is its very unstable and our limited staff and devs will not be able to give a buggy cata the love and care it deserves.
Ya...I setup Cata on my localhost to test some thing out. I've tried many different types of cores, and they are all bugged like crazy. It would most definitely take some time to manually fix all the bugs there, not to mention when you apply a fix for one thing it bugs another :evil:

From looking at how everything is scripted in Cata it would suck trying to fix everything in there but it would be nice to see one get up and going. Maybe open it every now and then like the PTR or only after we have applied many updates. All in all, it would be hard as hell to get a decent one going but no t impossible.
Ever get stuck not knowing how to play free WoW? Well have no fear, just go here and download the game completely free (it's safe, even I use it). Once you do so, you will need to change your realmlist. You can do this by opening the WoW directory and navigating to (Data>EnUs>) open up realmlist.wtf with notepad and change it to

Code: Select all

Set Realmlist login.truewow.org
Congratulations!
Now you can run WoW.exe and login with your account name and password on our server

On a side-note, if you are having issues accessing TPB you can use an alternate proxie in this list.

Heihachi
Developer

#10 » Post by Heihachi » 27 Jul 2012 03:46

yea i had a cata server up a while ago, it uses alot of resources to run. alot of talents and spells bug and crash the server so unless you have a bunch of devs (like a server i wont name) then having a mostly unbugged cata server is possible. It is possible with more devs and people good with C++ and C. Although i might recruit a good friend of mine to teach me and help me with C++...

Prite

#11 » Post by Prite » 27 Jul 2012 10:25

If some1 can give me a link on where and how I can start my server, I can give it a try.
Atm I'm thinking of trying this way : http://www.trinitycore.info/How-to:Win
But like I said earlier I don't understand very well what I can change and what I can't change in the code.
"All Warfare is based on Deception."
"Dura Praxis, Sed Praxis"
"Engenhus Facultis"

Flexall
Donor

#12 » Post by Flexall » 27 Jul 2012 14:19

Prite wrote:If some1 can give me a link on where and how I can start my server, I can give it a try.
But like I said earlier I don't understand very well what I can change and what I can't change in the code.
That would be your best start for setting up a WoTLK server on Windows.
Then you can start working on minor SQL fixes as well as making major changes to the core. Also, don't forget you have to recompile the core after you make changes to it or else it won't affect it.
Ever get stuck not knowing how to play free WoW? Well have no fear, just go here and download the game completely free (it's safe, even I use it). Once you do so, you will need to change your realmlist. You can do this by opening the WoW directory and navigating to (Data>EnUs>) open up realmlist.wtf with notepad and change it to

Congratulations!
Now you can run WoW.exe and login with your account name and password on our server

On a side-note, if you are having issues accessing TPB you can use an alternate proxie in this list.

Heihachi
Developer

#13 » Post by Heihachi » 27 Jul 2012 17:51

Flexall wrote:
Prite wrote:If some1 can give me a link on where and how I can start my server, I can give it a try.
That would be your best start for setting up a WoTLK server on Windows.
Then you can start working on minor SQL fixes as well as making major changes to the core. Also, don't forget you have to recompile the core after you make changes to it or else it won't affect it.
that is what makes me hate most Obj Languages... Debugging and re-compile every time unlike a scripting language where you just make it and edit it and it will run all good and fine

Prite

#14 » Post by Prite » 27 Jul 2012 23:06

kk, gonna see if I can pull something out during this weekend or next week...
The server bugs are normally found in the SQL tables? the access to them or in the C++ language code?
"All Warfare is based on Deception."
"Dura Praxis, Sed Praxis"
"Engenhus Facultis"

Flexall
Donor

#15 » Post by Flexall » 27 Jul 2012 23:50

Well I would recommend MySQL Workbench for SQL development, DB admin, reverse engineering, etc.

You have 3 databases:
Auth-This is where all the account info is stored
Characters-This is where all the data for characters is stored
World-This is where all of the world data is stored. Instances, BGs, etc. Most of the bugs are in this table.

I would suggest you work on minor fixes like quests and stuff before going into the "heavier" things like scripting gunship.

Congratulations!