Low Gearscore Battlegrounds

skyx

Low Gearscore Battlegrounds

#1 » Post by skyx » 22 Nov 2020 10:52

Instead of enforcing gear restrictions on everyone, we should have an additional and alternative option: Low Gearscore Battlegrounds.

My suggestion is to add a custom NPC (or an extra option added onto existing NPCs) which restricts the gear a player can queue low gs battlegrounds with.
This suggestion IS AN ADDITION to the existing PvP BG options so BIS PLAYERS STILL HAVE THE OPTION TO PLAY IN THEIR OWN BGs.
Low Gearscore Battlegrounds have been implemented on other competing servers and I would like to see it here too.

Pros:
1) It is a CHOICE of the player whether to play in low gs bgs with lesser gear.
2) New characters can relatively quickly farm furious main gear + rhc epics + PvP off pieces and have a decent PvP experience without getting instantly destroyed by full BiS characters.
3) The maximum gear requirements is capped in such a way that most/all of the gear is relatively accessible to ALL PLAYERS without doing much PvE raiding.
4) An environment where new and/or casual players could play to learn/have fun with Woltk PvP mechanics. (I know of a 10 year old playing here who is interesting in PvP).
5) Freshly levelled 80s don't ruin the BG experience of full WF BiS players by queuing in the same BG as them.

If accepted, some of the options I would consider are:

1) Max main pieces ilvl251 (relentless), ilvl245 (relentless offpieces), ilvl245 trinkets and weapons + ilvl264 Medallion - outliers like Val'anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings. (Essentially S7 meta).

2) Max ilvl 251 + ilvl264 Medallion - Val'anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings. (Essentially S7 with icc10nm gear) .

3) Average Gs (BUT care must be made to restrict OP items because players on the different server have essentially bypassed the low gs requirement by wearing low gs offparts with ICC25Hc weapons/Shadowmourne and Heroic trinkets to lower their average).

The goal of this suggestion is to have a PvP environment where the difference in gear between the players is kept to a minimum.

To Mods: I am not insulting or attacking anyone in the slightest in this suggestion so please keep it clean and constructive.

andriuspel
Former Staff

Re: Low Gearscore Battlegrounds

#2 » Post by andriuspel » 22 Nov 2020 11:06

i would say that would fit on more heavier pop but not saying that suggestion is not acceptable. Negative sides from this what i see, well, PVP happens in our realm but adding this to current realm state would make heavier diversity within bg groups and maybe would cause no bgs at all.

Overally, that would slow down overal bgs queues i think

As addition, players already has options to buy furious gears faster (like wg honor marks which can be farmed by doing heroics)
A son asked his father (a programmer) why the sun rises in the east, and sets in the west. His response? It works, don’t touch!

Everyone says it's difficult to work with a person while they have a negative attitude or constantly exhibit uncooperative behavior.

skyx

#3 » Post by skyx » 22 Nov 2020 11:39

andriuspel wrote:
22 Nov 2020 11:06
i would say that would fit on more heavier pop but not saying that suggestion is not acceptable. Negative sides from this what i see, well, PVP happens in our realm but adding this to current realm state would make heavier diversity within bg groups and maybe would cause no bgs at all.

Overally, that would slow down overal bgs queues i think

As addition, players already has options to buy furious gears faster (like wg honor marks which can be farmed by doing heroics)
I strongly disagree.

I believe players new to TW/PW players/casual TW players would be more inclined to try PvP if this option existed. And I also believe some/most of the "veteran" PvP players would also join if it meant actually PvPing on TW (and maybe actually enjoy S7 meta).

The numbers speak for themselves.
Currently, there is still not nearly enough PvP activity overall, even after the merge.
Yes, new players have the option to buy furious gear faster but they are not really joining BGs.
It is only the PvP core of Recycled that are making BGs happen (and Hellraisers when Recycled players start queuing).
2v2 ABs IS NOT fun. There was a time on TW where I got to experience actual 15v15 ABs. I want that experience again.

Overall, I believe more new players would join RBGs casually if this option existed.

andriuspel
Former Staff

#4 » Post by andriuspel » 22 Nov 2020 11:58

hm, don't get me incorrectly, i basically not saying its not acceptable but we should think what we have now and what we will have after change. If this change will mean heavier divercity like, 1 plr has relentless, 4-5 plrs has furious and 1-2 plrs has wrathful, that would make no bgs for some of them at all. Anyways i will not call this declined or accepted but will wait for more opinions.

If you want to reset bg counters back to normal states (ab 15v15 like), well, its pretty much possible but maybe make another suggestion for that since thats another topic ;)

In addition, last gear stage - heaviest geared players should be able to use SM or similar items i think.

PS: i'm thinking to implement custom PVP event before holidays soon.
A son asked his father (a programmer) why the sun rises in the east, and sets in the west. His response? It works, don’t touch!

Everyone says it's difficult to work with a person while they have a negative attitude or constantly exhibit uncooperative behavior.

bobsmyname
Donor

#5 » Post by bobsmyname » 22 Nov 2020 12:14

As someone who has played these other servers with multible gs battlegroups, the system is so so easy to abuse. Same as rhc queueing, just equip low ilvl stuff, queue, and reequip your regular 6.6gs set.
Trans Rights

skyx

#6 » Post by skyx » 22 Nov 2020 12:15

No.

Like the majority, if not the entire player population, the wrathful geared players can easily purchase relentless gear (using Emblems of Frost/arena points) and the ilvl245 relentless offparts (from PvP vendors using honour) and use that for low gs battlegrounds so anyone could join and contrary to what you are stating, the diversity is kept to a minimum.

What we have now is:

1) Core PvP recycled players
2) Players with BiS characters who barely play (and only do when Recycled makes it happen)
3) A lot of casual players who don't dare to join and/or frequent the forum much or at all.

This is not enough.

I have made some screenshots of the numbers the month before the merge.

A custom PvP event would be far more unblizz-like than this suggestion.

skyx

#7 » Post by skyx » 22 Nov 2020 12:22

bobsmyname wrote:
22 Nov 2020 12:14
As someone who has played these other servers with multible gs battlegroups, the system is so so easy to abuse. Same as rhc queueing, just equip low ilvl stuff, queue, and reequip your regular 6.6gs set.
I don't think a competent developer would overlook abuse like this.

andriuspel
Former Staff

#8 » Post by andriuspel » 22 Nov 2020 12:25

still mind a thing, if player doesn't likes pvp at all, none techniques will force him to play bgs.
About event, well, that is going to be similar to ironman, so no worries
@bobsmyname its known and thats up to that group members how they should treat such player since such player is pretty much useless for group (low advantage)

srelectrox

#9 » Post by srelectrox » 22 Nov 2020 19:27

I understand the frustration, although, bgs are more then gear. There are objectives, counterclasses, strategy etc. Ive loosed battles to people lower then me in gear, as i have won a few to higher gs players (maybe lesser wins cause im a noob 😊as long as they are not premade groups its a matter of luck.
Yes, sometimes you get carryed, sometimes you make the group lose, thats life.
I dont think this suggestion would make it better, nor would be fair for all the 80s who had to struggle with green and blue items until they grabbed that gear.. Its like asking for a bg qeue that doesnt allow arena gear. Or restraining it only for those who have more then 200 ms of latency. Cause you might have the shadowmourne but a crappy wireless keyboard and a huge latency and the sword probably wont save you.

Any way.. Kinda indiferent for me.

Kudos.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Freakylups . Darkstuff . Garrote . Jardas . Mercurium

skyx

#10 » Post by skyx » 22 Nov 2020 19:54

srelectrox wrote:
22 Nov 2020 19:27
I understand the frustration, although, bgs are more then gear. There are objectives, counterclasses, strategy etc. Ive loosed battles to people lower then me in gear, as i have won a few to higher gs players (maybe lesser wins cause im a noob 😊as long as they are not premade groups its a matter of luck.
Yes, sometimes you get carryed, sometimes you make the group lose, thats life.
I dont think this suggestion would make it better, nor would be fair for all the 80s who had to struggle with green and blue items until they grabbed that gear.. Its like asking for a bg qeue that doesnt allow arena gear. Or restraining it only for those who have more then 200 ms of latency. Cause you might have the shadowmourne but a crappy wireless keyboard and a huge latency and the sword probably wont save you.

Any way.. Kinda indiferent for me.

Kudos.
No, this is a separate queue for low gs players. Existing players that has BiS characters can play in their own queue or use low gs bg gear to play in this queue. I am a player who has numerous wf characters (including legit 3v3 shoulders) yet I am more than willing to use lesser gear to play in such low gs bg if it means more PvP activity

skyx

#11 » Post by skyx » 09 Dec 2020 01:19

TW October

TW December (so far)

In just one month after the merge, the numbers have dwindled to pre merge numbers; surely something has to change, right?

Axis
Senior Game Master

#12 » Post by Axis » 20 Dec 2020 05:05

After having been open for a month, and putting aside the negative votes this suggestion has received...

Unless someone actually volunteers to develop this, contribute it to the server and maintain it, this suggestion is currently a no-go.
The current team does not have the resources available to implement this (time, personnel, etc).

Thank you for your suggestion.
Locked and rejected.
ImageImageImage
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing.” - Edmund Burke.