(Rejected) Alt friendly

Bobins

(Rejected) Alt friendly

#1 » Post by Bobins » 23 Nov 2018 01:28

Hi all,

One of the main draws of a legacy server is raiding (or perhaps pvp). I don't know anyone who joins for the grind. We all do it and I do enjoy the levelling process. But what I mean is no on comes to these servers and thinks, "I miss the 5k for epic flying" or the grind exalted rep on my alts.

Maybe the server should look into reducing the grind needed on alts at least. The server is low on pop at the moment and having players grinding away in their own little corner of the server isn't encouraging growth and is perhaps hurting things like pvp and dungeon runs. Certainly in the lower levels. Maybe have some GM / bot buying stuff off the AH and deleting it to account for the low activity. I would give tank and healer classes dual spec for free, but that's just me. Reduce the costs to scale with the population.

Again, scale the server and content to the population. Although I did epic flying on retail (WotLK) for my main and 2 alts. I wouldn't dream of doing that here. Find a way to make levlling more appealing too. If new players arrive, they want someobe to quest / dungeon with. increase rep so players don't spend too much time on mains perhaps.

The bottom line is the raids are fuctioning ok, but the rest of the server is not. You need a way to spread the players around.

Dreadnought101

Re: Alt friendly

#2 » Post by Dreadnought101 » 23 Nov 2018 03:07

-3x is nice, though I do wonder if it should be tuned up to 5x for old world zones.

-I agree Duel Spec should be cheaper.

-I wonder if profession/skill rates should be increased to 2x.

I do wonder if this is necessary though, I think that QoL should be kept a bit lower and the team should be preparing for a true wrath launch and nothing turns away big population numbers like fast leveling/QoL pay2win stuff (well that...and population to be fair). I know from quite a few players they are just waiting for wrath to drop as it will be more traditional compared to how customized Vanilla/BC were.
Degaris
-
A wise man once introduced me to this game "It shall protect your virginity my lad." He said...

Bobins

#3 » Post by Bobins » 23 Nov 2018 13:45

As I said. The changes should be managed in accordance to the population. It's more work but this is about balance. lets say profs are x4 right now. Less mats required to level but there are less mats anyway due to the pop. The population increases to 1k. The progs get dropped to x2. The pop later increases to 2k. The profs get dropped to x1.

The people waiting for wrath will just blow through the content solo until they hit 70. There'll be no farming, no real prospect dungeons until wrath and so on.

I'd like to see the current player base come off their mains and play alts. These changes might ease the grind on mains and free up time levelling more.

bobsmyname
Donor

#4 » Post by bobsmyname » 23 Nov 2018 16:31

Your math adds up overall, but i hope that we wont go that extreme as to x4 on proffs. x3 or x2 works well enough on the servers i have seen it on.

There isn't much need for epic flying on alts, and i doubt that i (possibly the most active player on the server) will ever spend the 4 / 5k on it for anything other than my main. The epic flying cost does not decrease in wrath, which will make it much easier in comparison, from ~150gph farming to closer to ~350gph.
you could POSSIBLY make an account bound item similar to the cold weather flying book in wrath for the sake of tbc, but remove it when wrath hits.

One last thing i've thought about but never wanted to ask, was something along the lines of:
Once a player has reached 375 on two profesions, they will get a letter in the mail allowing them to raise ONE profession on any alt on the same account, straight to 300 (so long as they are at the required level to learn that skill level).
-Do not allow for this perk to count towards another, will have to be two fresh professions on another char.

The only drawback to this, or any heirloom themed item is that the majority of players on primal play multiple accounts, rather than a single one. Then, that's their fault, lol.
Trans Rights

Dreadnought101

#5 » Post by Dreadnought101 » 23 Nov 2018 18:19

Its easy to give things like XP bonuses, extra droprates, ect... but taking them away is far harder to do, even with the justification of increased populations.

I think the current system is mostly fair, and I still see new players joining or players leveling alts, even if its not enough to pop dungeons.
Degaris
-
A wise man once introduced me to this game "It shall protect your virginity my lad." He said...

Bobins

#6 » Post by Bobins » 23 Nov 2018 19:35

Dreadnought101 wrote:
23 Nov 2018 18:19
Its easy to give things like XP bonuses, extra droprates, ect... but taking them away is far harder to do, even with the justification of increased populations.

I think the current system is mostly fair, and I still see new players joining or players leveling alts, even if its not enough to pop dungeons.
The server has been "being fair" for a couple of years without any significant growth. Perhaps it's time to be realistic instead of fair?

What I'm trying to address here is the balance and scale. This isn't about quick level caps, free gold etc. it's about getting players to join. And the first step is to get the ones we already have to "join" the new guys levelling. I'm not sure what is best for the server as a whole, but perhaps a new apprach could boost interest here?