Retail Transfers should not require a max level

Grawlix

Retail Transfers should not require a max level

#1 » Post by Grawlix » 06 Jun 2017 16:55

I understand the thought process behind "we don't want everyone getting a level 60 just for joining the server" but I think that ONLY allowing max level is too restrictive.

I know my two friends and I like the server because we enjoyed the WOTLK class/spec/talent/etc paradigms the most, and wanted to experience that again. My friends stopped playing at the end of Cataclysm, I played all the way through WoD.

I'm sure a lot of the members of this server are here for the nostalgia and they fall into the same camp as my friends, having never played the later expansions and don't have a max level.

With Blizzard's "free level X for buying this expansion" feature, it's not hard to imagine that someone that started in WoD with a free level 90 can put in significantly less time than players that played endgame of TBC / WOTLK, yet they are able to get the retail transfer. The "max level" seems like a line in the sand that doesn't need to exist.

It's a bummer that TBC is being released right now and my friends are still sub-30. I am leveling with them but starting off at level 60 for the TBC content would be much more exciting for us and would also help bump up the "end-game" server population.

Fitzpatrick
Honorary Member

Re: Retail Transfers should not require a max level

#2 » Post by Fitzpatrick » 06 Jun 2017 17:10

The logic behind the rule, as Ive always understood it, was not to prevent "free 60s" but as a similar time investment from a 60 on PW and a 100 on retail, as the rule used to be.

Lets not forget that you can transfer a character from almost any reasonably legit private server out there, not just retail. Also, I think I speak for more than just myself when I say that leveling is already *much* faster than on any 1x 1.12 or 2.4 server.

Im not sure what guild youre in, but dont be afraid to ask for help from established players. Boosting players through dungeons is relatively quick and easy for 60s, and the gear and quests can often mean a big difference in leveling speed. I think you will also find that once you get your mounts at 40, things will speed up considerably and the 40-60 run is generally quite fast. Good luck!
Fitzsimmons / Bibimbap / Fitzpatrick

Grawlix

#3 » Post by Grawlix » 06 Jun 2017 17:56

Thanks for the response.
The logic behind the rule, as Ive always understood it, was not to prevent "free 60s" but as a similar time investment from a 60 on PW and a 100 on retail, as the rule used to be.
That's the way I understand it as well, which is what I'm trying to address. It is flawed.

I was very active (I think the term most would use would be "addicted") during TBC/WOTLK. So were my friends. I played intermittently during WoD so I have a lvl 100 because of that, but the amount of time invested to get that level 100 MIGHT be 5% of my total time playing WoW. Probably less.

So I put in 5% more time and I get a 60, but players that didn't play WoD don't? And on the other end of the spectrum, players that started at WoD and got a free 90 could get a level 60 here for putting in (theoretically, not saying all WoD players fall in this camp) 5% of the total time of players that DID play in TBC/WOTLK.

The idea of screening players for time invested is a sound one, but gauging it off of the player having a level 100 does not make sense.

IronSharona
Former Staff

#4 » Post by IronSharona » 07 Jun 2017 00:12

The current gauge is requiring a level 90, not max level. Requirements were recently lowered. We are constantly looking into new, fair ways to confirm time committed to allow for as many valid transfers as possible.

This has become more challenging lately as the armory updates have changed what info of recent events a player has achieved. Previously we could confirm a player as having not played since a prior expansion based on dates of items picked up, etc. This information is no longer available, making lowering the limit even more risky. If you have any suggestions for confirming played time etc, please forward them our way to consider!
Welcome to the new decade! Let's hope the Roaring 20's come with just as much jazz, but a bit less prohibition and Great Depression. 8-)

Grawlix

#5 » Post by Grawlix » 07 Jun 2017 01:17

The current gauge is requiring a level 90, not max level. Requirements were recently lowered. We are constantly looking into new, fair ways to confirm time committed to allow for as many valid transfers as possible.
So the server is psuedo-p2p, because I could buy my friends Legion and get them a free level 100 which then could then use to get a level 60. Only difference is I'm not paying the hosts. And don't misconstrue what I'm saying, I'm glad the server isn't p2p, I'd rather it be funded through charitable donations.

My suggestion would be to give a not-max-level char (level 60 in the new context of BC of "70 being max") to players that prove they have characters from previous expansions of playing the game. I.e. if they have level 85/80/70 (pick your stopping point) on retail, give them a level 60 here. I think this will be an easier pill to swallow once the population has reached 70.

Thanks for listening.

IronSharona
Former Staff

#6 » Post by IronSharona » 07 Jun 2017 01:27

From recent discussions, it will be quite a while before we permit anyone to transfer in at level 70, so this will somewhat mimic what you're asking for. We do still wish to reward those who commit time to leveling and playing here with their "first shot" at engaging in level 70 content.

I understand where you are coming from, but as of now, we have no valid way to prove that an individual leveled to whatever point in a past expansion specifically. They could say they have an old screenshot, but it's easy enough to change the date/time on the computer, so it is likely we couldn't accept this as evidence.
Welcome to the new decade! Let's hope the Roaring 20's come with just as much jazz, but a bit less prohibition and Great Depression. 8-)

niqht

#7 » Post by niqht » 07 Jun 2017 17:35

The account page says the last active/expired date. I've argued for this before but... I dunno.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s308 ... huize4.jpg

Fitzpatrick
Honorary Member

#8 » Post by Fitzpatrick » 07 Jun 2017 19:24

Grawlix wrote:
07 Jun 2017 01:17
So the server is psuedo-p2p, because I could buy my friends Legion and get them a free level 100 which then could then use to get a level 60. Only difference is I'm not paying the hosts. And don't misconstrue what I'm saying, I'm glad the server isn't p2p, I'd rather it be funded through charitable donations.

My suggestion would be to give a not-max-level char (level 60 in the new context of BC of "70 being max") to players that prove they have characters from previous expansions of playing the game. I.e. if they have level 85/80/70 (pick your stopping point) on retail, give them a level 60 here. I think this will be an easier pill to swallow once the population has reached 70.

Thanks for listening.
He's right. To make up for this the minimum for retail should be max level (105 or whatever, retail is dumb). Excellent point Grawlix thanks for whining, errrr....bringing up this point.
Fitzsimmons / Bibimbap / Fitzpatrick

Dymond
Senior Game Master

#9 » Post by Dymond » 07 Jun 2017 21:53

Rules are made for a reason, rules state level 90. So minimum level to transfer is level 90. No exceptions.
"Grief is the price we pay for love."

Eronox
MVP

#10 » Post by Eronox » 07 Jun 2017 23:00

And will not be lowered even more,
moving to Reject.

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash