Double-XP Weekends

ComradeBork

Double-XP Weekends

#1 » Post by ComradeBork » 18 Mar 2017 13:34

The very first thing I wanted was double-XP weekends. I knew I'd have trouble convincing my busier friends to be active, and I was more right than I expected. This server's population isn't quite big enough to do BGs while leveling. I think one time I saw a wsg match happen while I was building an alliance character, but that's it for 10-19 anyways. I (surprisingly) haven't seen this suggested in the suggestions area before, just in general discussion.

Because I've only been around for about a week, I don't have a lot of passion to pour into this post. I have found this post which seems to be talking about PW but it still applies. This post was in 2015 and is talking about population issues which still seem present today. 2x XP on weekends really isn't a lot to some people, but for people who work on weekdays or who do most of their leisurely activities on weekends, it really is a lot to them. I know I'd spend a lot more time focusing on TW on weekends specifically for some kind of bonus, over the other games I could be playing.

This post (which is also technically in the suggestions area, but it never comes up again) mentions the XP weekends, but the poster might have had too much coffee, and I believe it's the newest reference to them. I think these weekends are downplayed. They're a small change and people really do enjoy them and really do play for them, at least until they ding 80. Then they have all the players who enjoyed the XP weekends to enjoy end-game content with, PLUS they have the veterans to play with.

I propose double-XP weekends should be implemented and added to the banner advertisements, at the very least for a 1-3 month trial-run. I believe it's a very small change that's not only a small rate increase, it's only for two out of the seven days in the week (if you wanted to smooth it out, and assumed every player played 24/7, then it'd be a 1.286x server). If it has noticeable affects on population, it should stay. If not, that'll be a choice for the devs to make, weighing any potential drama of taking something away (and from any potentially new players lured in by the XP weekend).

Edit reason: Formatting, paragraph 2.
Last edited by ComradeBork on 18 Mar 2017 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
Comrades Unite (TW/Horde)
Friendly leveling guild, focusing on world PVP and instances. PM for an invite.

Horde
ComradeLock (33A) Taraesque (32A)

Alliance
ComradeTara (21A)

Wilcox

Re: Double-XP Weekends

#2 » Post by Wilcox » 18 Mar 2017 13:48

the server is not flawless, but it's as good as it gets, only thing it lacks? players. and our strict x1 rates hold us back from getting them, in my opinion. not everyone likes to level up and especially alone... sad thing for a man to admit but we don't stand much of a chance if we keep rolling in the same way as the past X years

supporting

Regent
Tester

#3 » Post by Regent » 18 Mar 2017 15:15

Nobody (or hardly anyone with an ounce of sanity) wants to level at 1x rates in 2017. End of story.
If leveling at 1x rates is still someone's thing, let them set it with a command.
t's time to embrace 2x or 3x rates, in my opinion.
However, double XP weekends would be a step in the right direction.
+1
Rest in Peace,
Sarah Melody Jones.
May 20, 1989 - May 12, 2018.
Beloved Girlfriend & Mother-To-Be.
When I close my eyes, I see you.
When I open my eyes, I miss you.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Regent- - - - - - - - -Regentt- - - - - - - - -Regennt- - - - - - - - -Regency

IronSharona
Former Staff

#4 » Post by IronSharona » 18 Mar 2017 15:31

Personal opinions:
I do like the idea of optional rate increases per player on a command basis, actually. Double XP rates based on time period I think would be harder to implement and would further outrage those clamoring for morebilzikstuffpelis.

Optional 2x/3x support as an account or character option I would +1.

Remember you can get 3x rates now by using the RAF tool. :) This benefit would need to change if we considered regular XP boosting so RAF would lose a bit of it's charm. I highly doubt its rates would be increased more than 3x just to accommodate for a double XP event, etc. More likely it's rates would be reduced to 2x or this aspect removed entirely. Keep that in mind when suggesting ideas about XP. Thanks for the suggestion.
Welcome to the new decade! Let's hope the Roaring 20's come with just as much jazz, but a bit less prohibition and Great Depression. 8-)

Chillmaster

#5 » Post by Chillmaster » 18 Mar 2017 16:15

Honestly no one wants to level up in a 1x rated server in 2017, giving double exp at weekends is something that I have seen before and even in other similar games. It could bring more pop to server, or maybe not.. But it certainly does not harm the server so:

+1

ComradeBork

#6 » Post by ComradeBork » 18 Mar 2017 16:24

IronSharona wrote:
18 Mar 2017 15:31
Optional 2x/3x support as an account or character option I would +1.
That sounds like a step in the right direction at least! I had a very hard time convincing anyone to try optional 1-15x servers, but 2x or 3x sounds doable (though 3x ... not sure how I feel, not even sure how I feel about always 2x). My primary issue with it is I don't see why anyone would play on 1x with higher options available. It's a strong temptation at least.
IronSharona wrote:
Remember you can get 3x rates now by using the RAF tool. :) This benefit would need to change if we considered regular XP boosting so RAF would lose a bit of it's charm. I highly doubt its rates would be increased more than 3x just to accommodate for a double XP event, etc. More likely it's rates would be reduced to 2x or this aspect removed entirely. Keep that in mind when suggesting ideas about XP. Thanks for the suggestion.
RAF would be a good idea IMO if it was available to new players. I see it as a reward for older players as-is, which is unfortunate with the current pop situation. In the interest of preserving it, that's one of the reasons why I suggest a double-XP weeked. RAF XP should not be doubled, but it'd still be higher than the weekend XP (and rested XP shouldn't be doubled or spent). This preserves the old feature and adds a new one.
IronSharona wrote:
Personal opinions:
I do like the idea of optional rate increases per player on a command basis, actually. Double XP rates based on time period I think would be harder to implement and would further outrage those clamoring for morebilzikstuffpelis.
Double-XP rates based on time should be trivial to implement as rate-scaling clearly already exists in the engine. If it's a time issue I'd be happy to write it for you (unsure who the devs are), as I'm pretty sure it should take less than 5 hours, and no more than 10...for someone inexperienced with the code-base. As for outrage, that should be a big focus point IMO, as blizzlike is what this server is about. However I believe I made a pretty clear and strong case for how the server remains very close to blizzlike (as 1.286x XP is the absolute maximum you can pull from this change playing 24/7), and this is the place for public discussion, where there hasn't been any outrage yet. If it's still a big worry, a poll could always be placed somewhere prominent where players would see it, and the poll could also be advertised on the AutoBroadcaster (which I have a suggestion brewing for that too...).

I encourage all who'd be upset by these changes to come forward. Preferably with an explanation as to why, but even just a "-1" is better than lurking, thank you.

Horde

Alliance
ComradeTara (21A)

loveable

#7 » Post by loveable » 18 Mar 2017 16:30

this is my idia

double xp is useless cuz u already have 300% more xp rate if u rec-a-friend , and i know every one dual loging for it and they lvl 2 char at same time for fast lvl up

just Do same as D-wow , insta level 70 by Donating
so who dont like to lvlup , can donate and buy insta level 70 with it

but not 80 , 70 is very nice so ppl will lvlup only 10 lvl
Beating Everything In WoW -> Ghost <-
Get Rekt , Get Rekt , Get Rekt = RBG
Get Rekt , Get Rekt , Get Rekt = Not RBG

ComradeBork

#8 » Post by ComradeBork » 18 Mar 2017 16:36

loveable wrote:
18 Mar 2017 16:30
this is my idia

double xp is useless cuz u already have 300% more xp rate if u rec-a-friend , and i know every one dual loging for it and they lvl 2 char at same time for fast lvl up
Ah perhaps you missed my previous post as I just posted it. RaF is more of a reward for veterans, the idea is to get more new players right now, and it's a way new players could encourage their friends on weekends ("yo it's double-xp weekend we can ding 20 this weekend and get our mounts I'll show you how cool this shit is"). I'm unsure as to why the RaF restrictions are in place, so I can't comment on them.

Edit: The RaF restrictions are likely in place to prevent vote point and other reward fraud. So those rewards would have to be restricted further or removed for RaF to be a useful tool to new players.
loveable wrote:
18 Mar 2017 16:30
just Do same as D-wow , insta level 70 by Donating
so who dont like to lvlup , can donate and buy insta level 70 with it

but not 80 , 70 is very nice so ppl will lvlup only 10 lvl
No P2W is one of the draws of this server. On the Reddit posts I've lurked, people use "no P2W" as a selling feature for servers like TW and PW. I do think insta 70 for donating sounds reasonable, but I could easily so how it could deter me if I was looking for a new server to play on and saw the word "insta", I usually just scroll past.

Horde

Alliance
ComradeTara (21A)

Gerfalx

#9 » Post by Gerfalx » 19 Mar 2017 07:39

Maybe that's beyond imagination of some people, but some players do like to level at 1x rate. That's maybe because they enjoy the game at any level and don't think that it starts at level 80.

The fact that we have strict rules attracted and attracts to us people who like Blizzlike experience. The more you let those rules loose the more we become like other servers, just with lower population.

blagovest_tonev

#10 » Post by blagovest_tonev » 19 Mar 2017 08:10

Let's talk about the new players argument. Don't they expect 1x rates when joining a Blizzlike server?

Wilcox

#11 » Post by Wilcox » 19 Mar 2017 08:20

blagovest_tonev wrote:
19 Mar 2017 08:10
Let's talk about the new players argument. Don't they expect 1x rates when joining a Blizzlike server?

thats why there are little to no new players every month

blagovest_tonev

#12 » Post by blagovest_tonev » 19 Mar 2017 08:32

Maybe Blizzlike servers are no longer a trend, but it doesn't mean I agree with TW taking the fun servers direction. If the majority agrees with the double XP weekends, I guess the Staff can give it a try for a month or whatever test period they decide. But I'm against a constant increase of the rates.

Eronox
MVP

#13 » Post by Eronox » 19 Mar 2017 13:00

I've seen, and heard, that this feature itself is effective on other servers. I don't think it would change much for us, but to make a sligther higher chance for people below 80 to stay and not leave because of the leveling boredom.

I'm kind of neutral on this, not giving any vote but just saying what I've heard about it. Personally I agree with IronSharona, yet my submissive part wants this because leveling is so slow! ^_^

No, sorry. I do keep a neutral vote on this, maybe I get around to vote in due time but for now I need convincing.

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash

ComradeBork

#14 » Post by ComradeBork » 19 Mar 2017 16:06

blagovest_tonev wrote:
19 Mar 2017 08:32
Maybe Blizzlike servers are no longer a trend, but it doesn't mean I agree with TW taking the fun servers direction. If the majority agrees with the double XP weekends, I guess the Staff can give it a try for a month or whatever test period they decide. But I'm against a constant increase of the rates.
I'm curious, would you prefer the optional 1x, 2x, and potentially 3x option over the double-XP weekends? Thanks for the input!

Horde

Alliance
ComradeTara (21A)

blagovest_tonev

#15 » Post by blagovest_tonev » 19 Mar 2017 16:21

Honestly, I'm happy enough with the current rates and I would like to keep them so, but now that you ask me for an opinion, I would say the optional rates is a better idea. I think so, because I'm quite sure more people will appear with the idea that the double-XP weekends aren't enough to bring new players to the server, and will ask for a constant change of the rates. With the optional rates, players would be able to pick the rates they think would be the best for them.