Work towards increased day-to-day activity

Sulik

Re: Work towards increased day-to-day activity

#16 » Post by Sulik » 17 Aug 2015 11:43

saben wrote:I don't think "suck it up" is necessarily the right answer for keeping people interested till TBC and WotLK hit, particularly when you already have some pretty active TBC and LK servers. Not saying that the listed suggestions should be implemented, but something should be done rather than nothing.
"Something". How about we all take some personal responsibility on our gaming enjoyment and not yell devs to save us when we live in the game and blaze through the content or don't like some of the rules?

Yes I think private servers should be focusing more on improving the game than trying to recreate it. This isn't the focus of this server, and I'd rather keep it that way than have to be on my toes for the fear of admins implementing the players stupidest whims.

It's safe to say practically we all have quit for reasons which boils down to boredom from retail and private servers with dailies and other kinds of open ended content which lack here. Not many continuous activities can hold our attention for months straight. Yet we keep coming to them. "Sucking it up" or "leaving" or whatever overly dramatic interpretations does not imply deleting characters and writing farewell letters.
shibli09 wrote:
Don't leave me hanging. I'm interested to know what effects personal biases have.

Your Honor, make it known, on this date, hereby I, Sulik, firstborn of Vol'jin and mottled boar, questing knight, servant of the elements, am admitting that vanilla can be bland. What was the point of this thread again?

Of course adding dailies change the game, otherwise you wouldn't be suggesting such a thing. You had a good thing going there. No reason to rationalize it with subpar logic.

Also how noble of you trying to fix a bug with a speed/gold/reputation tabard. :roll:

P.S. Everyone has ideas. And all those ideas seem to be the ones to increase fun/population/whatever. Funny how it goes.

useronly

#17 » Post by useronly » 17 Aug 2015 20:29

As to the overall purpose of the suggestions proposed, I agree—it would be great if there were additional incentives for people to step outside of the cities and do something. However, aside from the concept of the tabard (which doesn’t necessarily need to have all the perks enumerated), I don’t think the suggestions are feasible, or at least feasible yet. The addition of custom dailies, while logical and reasonable, is likely beyond the scope of development that devs want to dabble in. Dailies existed, and I can’t remember them at all, but I don’t recall anything tailored to the vanilla content with the types of rewards proposed. Meaning, devs would have to create custom scripts/quests/whatever, and I just don’t think their time is going to be spent doing that, whether that be ever or in the near future. As for the D2 gear, it’s just too early. The gear is extremely good for the current content, and it just doesn’t seem to make sense to bring it out just yet.

The tabard has always been a suggestion that I identified with. It is an elegant solution both as a means to combat the constant forgetfulness associated with manual flagging and as a means to provide incentive to generate more wPvP by providing a marginal PvE benefit. It is a voluntary process, so it doesn’t have that forced nature that many on this server seem to be against, but it does provide a minor bonus to those that choose to wear it, so there is an added benefit for those that choose to participate. The counterargument is that it provides a benefit only to those with a PvP mentality, and thus entitles those individuals over those that choose to continue on with the status quo. However, I think the incentive(s) offered could be tailored to be marginal at best, so the interests of “PvErs” wouldn’t be gravely imbalanced, especially when viewed in contrast to the interests of the large portion of the server who would prefer more spontaneous battles outside instanced environments.

Without question, my idea of “fun” as related to WoW is PvP. PvE is great, but it’s great, again, in my opinion, only because it provides rewards that then directly translate into increasingly better performance in PvP. Obviously that’s not the case for all type of gear, but for the most part it holds true. With that said, my concept of an active/fun server is one that has consistent PvP activity; if not possible out while farming/gathering/specifically looking to kill in the open, then definitely in battlegrounds. So, my eye is towards that aspect of the game, and, to be honest, I don’t really see how you could improve the server solely from making PvE more active; there is a natural end point to that aspect of the game—you and your mates get the gear. PvP, on the hand, evolves, competition is (if server is healthy) constant and persistent, and individual skill can be honed over time, which also adds to its enjoyment.

Accordingly, an additional suggestion that I would like to propose is to enable the ability to queue for both dungeons and battlegrounds at the same time and then remove (or not) the remaining queue once the former is accepted. I don’t know if this will have any meaningful impact, but from personal experience, I gather that it might. There have been numerous times where I wanted to run either dungeons or battlegrounds, but knew that sitting in queue for one would be a loss of opportunity to do the other, especially with the state of battlegrounds popping. If you could queue for both, that might push just enough people to queue battlegrounds and have more consistent queue pops.

Additionally, from what I have noticed, and which may be due to the times that I play, Horde often stop queuing and Alliance generally wait in a relatively long line for the next set to queue up. This is conjecture, but often times it feels that the win/loss ratio is the driving factor—Horde lose over a series of BGs, those players don’t want to queue anymore. Is it possible to institute some sort of compensatory bonus for players that lose X number of WSG/AB/AV battlegrounds in a row? There is already a bonus provided to both winning and losing sides. There is obviously a mechanic that tracks the number of battlegrounds played, won and lost as evident by the statistics tab. In the interest of boosting morale and increasing BG queues, could the bonus concept and the tracking mechanics be used to provide additional Honor to the perpetually losing side until the next win? I feel that the more that BGs pop, the more people will participate knowing that they don’t have to endure long queue times for the opportunity to play BGs (and with the previous suggestion, perhaps lessen that constraint as well). The more people that will participate, the greater the variety of players that will hopefully take part. The more variety, the more balance from a statistical standpoint. The more balance, the less impact the compensatory Honor gain will have overall. So in the end, it may be written off completely, but in the meantime, it may be an additional boost to stimulate battlegrounds, similar to the effect of bonus honor during BG Weekends.
Last edited by Guest on 17 Aug 2015 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

Cleofatra

#18 » Post by Cleofatra » 17 Aug 2015 20:37

To comment on a few things that useronly touched on.

Going with the tabard idea: Mithril spurs or enchant could be used to match the mount speed for players who want PvE. So really they can still get the "world PvP" perk through non-PvP means.

I also really like the idea of being able to queue for BGs and RDF at the same time. I think it would be necessary to automatically remove your other queue once you enter a BG or enter a dungeon though. This way you wouldn't get people dodging queues in either of the cases.

Also in Vanilla people used to get 1 Mark instead of 3 Marks for losing a BG, meaning they still got some honor. Is this concept removed in this iteration of WoW? Seems kinda silly if you get NOTHING for losing Warsong besides the HKs within the BG. In AB and AV at least you get some honor assuming you get some points or objectives.

useronly

#19 » Post by useronly » 17 Aug 2015 20:45

Cleofatra wrote: ...
Also in Vanilla people used to get 1 Mark instead of 3 Marks for losing a BG, meaning they still got some honor. Is this concept removed in this iteration of WoW? Seems kinda silly if you get NOTHING for losing Warsong besides the HKs within the BG. In AB and AV at least you get some honor assuming you get some points or objectives.
The losing side essentially gets the same thing as they did in Vanilla, which is about 1/3 the bonus honor (which is basically the equivalent of marks) of the winning side, in addition to whatever honor individuals accumulated during the BG. My suggestion is to add an additional chunk of bonus honor for individuals that have endured X (3, 5, some #) of losses consecutively in order to give additional incentive to keep queuing despite their grave prospects. Perhaps the bonus honor could also steadily rise as the loss streak continues, though I don't really see any benefit of that. My idea is to obviously reset that additional bonus upon a win (so you then have to lose X number of BGs again) or upon logging that character (though maybe not? Bank alts, etc.).

.Sorrugis

#20 » Post by .Sorrugis » 19 Aug 2015 16:28

useronly wrote:The tabard has always been a suggestion that I identified with. It is an elegant solution both as a means to combat the constant forgetfulness associated with manual flagging and as a means to provide incentive to generate more wPvP by providing a marginal PvE benefit. It is a voluntary process, so it doesn’t have that forced nature that many on this server seem to be against, but it does provide a minor bonus to those that choose to wear it, so there is an added benefit for those that choose to participate. The counterargument is that it provides a benefit only to those with a PvP mentality, and thus entitles those individuals over those that choose to continue on with the status quo. However, I think the incentive(s) offered could be tailored to be marginal at best, so the interests of “PvErs” wouldn’t be gravely imbalanced, especially when viewed in contrast to the interests of the large portion of the server who would prefer more spontaneous battles outside instanced environments.
Useronly, your whole post was elegantly stated.

Personally I really miss those random encounters out in the world with various players of the opposite faction when preparing raid consumables. I understand the argument on why people don't want the entire server swapped to PvP because yes, there will always be that one person Blackface r.i.p. who chooses to spend a majority of their time picking on those weaker than him to appear powerful.

One thing that I've yet to see mentioned and that a lot of PvE specific players often don't understand is that there is a direct correlation to your ability to PvP and then perform well in a raid environment. Increasing your reaction time as well as requiring you to pay close attention to your surroundings at all times are things players begin to learn once they begin to get their feet wet with PvP.

Definitely liking the tabard idea since it wouldn't be forced onto players, since as we've seen from previous discussions forcing PvP onto a community who can't decide on a conclusion would only result in losing a part of that population. There are already battleground tabards in the game. Could make it so that those were the ones that gave the bonuses. Rather than scripting something new.

On the other end of the spectrum I'd hate to see the small but growing PvP community move on to other avenues due to the frustration of sitting in a battleground or arena queue for 2-3 hours with no activity to be found.

Paygen

#21 » Post by Paygen » 20 Aug 2015 21:02

Cleofatra wrote: I also really like the idea of being able to queue for BGs and RDF at the same time. I think it would be necessary to automatically remove your other queue once you enter a BG or enter a dungeon though. This way you wouldn't get people dodging queues in either of the cases.
This. It really sucks being alliance sitting in hour queues for wsg or sitting in hour queues as dps for dungeons. If Prime made it so that you can queue for both at the same time, both RDF and BG queues would be shorter and give us more to do.

Cleofatra

#22 » Post by Cleofatra » 20 Aug 2015 21:26

Please add PvP and Dungeon dailies Prime! We desperately need it to keep the pop from dwindling!

Exed

#23 » Post by Exed » 21 Aug 2015 01:46

I think implementing a daily PvP quest might get some more movement in the PvP scenario.

Also, would it be too odd to disable faction based PvP until we get more people on Horde? I think that PvP is something that will keep this server going for most of the people who raid and then have nothing to do until the next raid day. Maybe wPvP is not for everybody, but queuing into BG's and Arena is a choice, therefore, it won't be imposed on everybody and the people who want to PvP can get more games in and spend some more time in BGs.

Just a thought. Maybe this idea deserves a thread on its own? I'm open to suggestions and opinions.

Fentanyl - L60 - Alliance - Warlock
Fentanyl - Alliance - Warlock

sijuan

#24 » Post by sijuan » 24 Aug 2015 16:20

I like the part about d2 set. Private server in 2015 should not make itemization mistakes that Blizzard made in 2004 just to call it self Blizz-like true progressive server or whatever...d2 set becomes irrelevant when BWL gets open, but having those items when you progress MC can be really nice addition to pre-raid gear.