[Rejected] A World PVP Compromise

Which option do you support?

Permanently flag all characters for PVP once they hit 60.
18%
Flag certain zones for PVP.
28%
Have regular (weekly, or monthly) GM hosted PVP fights.
4%
Leave the server fully PVE.
47%
Other (Please explain)
2%

Total votes: 89

saben
Donor

[Rejected] A World PVP Compromise

#1 » Post by saben » 02 Aug 2015 11:01

Reading through the forum post in General Discussion and listening to World Chat it appears there is still a good chunk of players who want the server to become a PVP server, and a greater majority that say they don't. Based on what Prime stated, the server is staying PVE unless the majority want it, because PVP servers are a dime a dozen while PVE servers are few and far between (and possibly limited to this server). Based on the previous poll in General Discussion, it is clear the server will never be a true PVP server. In an effort to retain and appease both types of players, I have tried to come up with some compromises that deal with concerns from both parties. As such, a "Change the server to PVP" will not be an option. Please read the descriptions of each one before voting and offer feedback of your choice.

1. Permanently flag all characters for PVP once they hit 60.

It appears the biggest issue players have with PVP servers is ganking/camping that occurs while leveling. Given the server population and the fact that you currently only run into one or two other players of the opposing factions in the earlier and mid leveling zones, I think it would be even more prevalent here. However, when you are level 60 you at least have a fighting chance to stand your ground, or escape. It could also make for some interesting encounters outside of raid or dungeon entrances and allow you to compete for things such as node or mob spawns. It would offer a greater chance of world PVP taking place than currently, while not impacting most player's main goal of reaching level 60 and/or enjoying the leveling experience.

2. Flag certain zones for PVP.

Certain zones were built for PVP. Silithus and EPL come to mind, but you could also do other higher level zones such as Burning Steppes. This would give a better chance of world PVP than option 1, while still limiting it to higher levels.

3. Have regular (weekly, or monthly) GM hosted PVP Events.

One thing has become clear over my time on private servers is that GM hosted events draw far more attendance than those just done by players. Different zones could be chosen and objectives could be created (Get x amount of points in Silithus, Cap and hold all the towers in EPL for x amount of time, Hold Tarren Mill/South Shore for x amount of time, etc.). Flagging for PVP would remain optional, and while leveling could still be interrupted due to quest givers dieing, it would be limited to an hour or so, and infrequently enough it hopefully won't impact too many players.Broadcasts could be added to garner attention from in-game players, and faction win/loss stats could be tracked on the website.

4. Leave the server fully PVE.

Self explanatory

5. Other (Please Explain)

Please don't suggest changing the server to be a PVP server. That option clearly doesn't have the support of the majority of the community and as such won't be done in the foreseeable future.

Final Thoughts

I think PrimalWoW offers a very unique aspect to the private server community, something those who love PVP or PVE can't really find anywhere else. If possible, an effort to cater to both parties should be made, while not changing things so radically that those who have invested a great deal of time in this server's short life thus far don't feel alienated.
Saben - Undead Mage

.cosminn123

Re: A World PVP Compromise

#2 » Post by .cosminn123 » 02 Aug 2015 11:10

Best choice would be to flag certain zones for PvP, that's going to make this feel more like Vanilla.
Image Wulf - Restoration Shaman

Image Tedd - Feral Combat Druid

Image Marax - Beast Mastery Hunter

Sulik

#3 » Post by Sulik » 02 Aug 2015 12:36

Options 1 and 2 are basically the same; "I didn't read or care about the server ruleset when I joined. I am exceptional and know what's best."

I voted #5 Other. Remove suggestions forum because the biggest threads are about people not capable of letting things go. And moderate other sections (mainly general) for those same spam threads which belong here.

.doctorwho

#4 » Post by .doctorwho » 02 Aug 2015 13:02

I might have voted 3 had this been the first time it's come up. But, since the whole thing is starting to sound like Cartman whining "But Mom!" over and over again, I had to go with 4.

Let's face it. If this were a PvP server, even the suggestion of deflagging players or zones would get you a 'carebear' label, a not-so-friendly request to gtfo the server, and likely in-game harassment as well. Not to mention that both options 1 & 2 are completely contrary to what a PvE server is all about, and that's choice.

I've already had flagged players of the opposite faction trying to get me flagged by misclicking on them while fighting and looting, so why would I want to reward such behavior with a compromise?

Zimranf2AU

#5 » Post by Zimranf2AU » 02 Aug 2015 13:55

I completely agree with doctorwho, this subject needs to die instead of people pushing for a "new compromise". Bullshit, the first poll a lot of people were willing to compromise and the PvP crowd tried to dick them over and skew (lie about) the results. If the server goes anything other than what it is now I'm going to leave and take my (admittedly meager) donations with me*. I'm tired of this being brought up just because some people aren't getting their way. Just stop it already, if you don't like the server the way it is in regards to PvP then leave or suck it up. If you want to organize a TM vs SS battle or something similar then do it but the staff doesn't need to be bothered with it. I'd probably even come to some kind of player organized PvP event, I always enjoyed world PvP but the server should stay the way it is.

* I don't know why I don't show up as a donor on the forum since I've donated more than once, I have several vanity items from it.

Rezca

#6 » Post by Rezca » 02 Aug 2015 14:12

Out of these, I like the idea of a hosted PvP event the most. I don't like the idea of "hit 60, no choice for you", and am divided on Flagged Zones.

Promoting the assaulting of faction capitols (Ironforge, Stormwind, Undercity, etc) and having periodic events would be great.

Gnoworries

#7 » Post by Gnoworries » 03 Aug 2015 14:01

If you want PVP it's simple. You have 4 options.

1. Join a Battleground.
2. Join an Arena Team.
3. Flag yourself PVP and wait for the ganks (If that's what floats your boat).
4. Create a character or two on one of the ten a penny PVP servers out there.

Some of us simply wish to level without being constantly harassed by chest beating juveniles. Is that too much to ask for?

EbonTopaz

#8 » Post by EbonTopaz » 03 Aug 2015 15:03

I voted option 4. Leave the server completely PvE.

The fact that this topic is being blown up as such a big "problem" and that it's so often brought up everywhere you look just shows how much PvP players love to whine and complain. Do we really want to cater to these kind of people? I say we shouldn't. It would take too much attention away from the core focus of this server: The Vanilla PvE content.

And let's be perfectly honest here. There are no solid, proper reasons the PvP players have to justify turning Primal-WoW into a PvP server.

Would it increase the population of the server? Maybe. But would they be useful? No. If the server population would increase because of it, then the vast majority of the increased population would come from PvP players who most likely have no interest in anything other than PvP or ganking.
But how about the old-fashioned World PvP? The cold hard truth is that World PvP is dead, and enabling PvP would not bring it back. World PvP existed in Vanilla WoW because Battlegrounds weren't a thing for a while. It was the only way to gain Honor. Now that Battlegrounds are here, World PvP is dead outside of ganking lowbies and the very rare capital city raid.
It would make the world so much more alive and exciting, though! Sure, being camped by somebody twice your level while barely anybody even lifts a finger to help you out is so thrilling.

We shouldn't be looking for a compromise. The PvP players should've known what they were getting in to. If they don't like what they see, then either they can suck it up or just play somewhere else.

Barbini

#9 » Post by Barbini » 03 Aug 2015 16:14

Server should stay PvE, there are an over-abundance of PvP servers and if someone feels the need for World PvP they should not be here, plenty of choices available.

I would go the extra step and permanently disable PvP flagging to frustrate the low life scumbags that try to trick you onto accidental Pvp flagging, like Blizzard have done recently.

PvP only on Battlegrouds and Arena

I even like the cross-faction dungeon finder feature, peace.

.landgin

#10 » Post by .landgin » 03 Aug 2015 16:34

Why do we have to discuss this everyday. Less than half the server wants pvp. I'd say the number is even less because about 10% of the population uses the forums. Stop trying to force pvp on us. We want pve server, we have voted for it numerous times. If you want to pvp flag yourself and be done with it and stop bitch on the forums about it.

Faceroll

#11 » Post by Faceroll » 03 Aug 2015 16:34

Right now there are no solid counter arguments for having PvP Flagged Zones. You don't want to be PvP? Don't go there.
Let's be real here, nobody play's BG's since MC is out, PvP is dead.
People complain how just having BG's and Arena is enough for PvP'ers, i would AGREE if they were actually played, WSG's are either not played or played a little bit, and even when they are played if an opposing team is losing they just leave.
I don't think it will hurt to implemented Flagged PvP zones, since it will bring up more "Vanilla-ish" feel.
1337 PvP King Faceroll - level 60 Human Holy Paladin

.doctorwho

#12 » Post by .doctorwho » 03 Aug 2015 17:22

Faceroll wrote:Right now there are no solid counter arguments for having PvP Flagged Zones. You don't want to be PvP? Don't go there.
People complain how just having BG's and Arena is enough for PvP'ers, i would AGREE if they were actually played, WSG's are either not played or played a little bit, and even when they are played if an opposing team is losing they just leave.
I don't think it will hurt to implemented Flagged PvP zones, since it will bring up more "Vanilla-ish" feel.
The only argument that needs to be said has been said many times already: This is a PvE server. If you came here looking for world PvP, you made a error. Not the server creators. Not those who came here because it's one of the very few PvE server in existence. You.

Do you know why you don't see people who want Monks, or Worgen, or flying in Azeroth, or Garrisons, or Transmog coming onto these forums, taking polls, and expecting their every whim to be catered to? Because they either accept that those things aren't going to be found here, or were smart enough to go where they're available. World PvP isn't any different, and those desiring it aren't entitled to special treatment any more than those listed above. You can either play on a 3.3.5 progressive server, or you can play on a PvP server. You just can't do both at the same time (unless you're running both types at once, of course).

As I said, that's the only argument needed. But, if you feel the need for more, then let me ask: Why are you too lazy to do it yourselves? Instead of flagging an area and then arrogantly telling those who want to quest there that they should just avoid those areas on their own server type, why aren't those wanting world PvP just going out and doing it? Between the forums and cross-faction chat, you've got all the tools you need to set something up without being tools. You don't need the devs to hold your hand. Take some initiative and pull yourselves up by your own boot straps. Or jock straps. Whichever you prefer.

Additionally, flagging certain areas would only make it feel "Vanilla-ish" to those who played on PvP servers back then.

Faceroll

#13 » Post by Faceroll » 03 Aug 2015 18:37

doctorwho wrote:
Faceroll wrote:Right now there are no solid counter arguments for having PvP Flagged Zones. You don't want to be PvP? Don't go there.
The only argument that needs to be said has been said many times already: This is a PvE server. If you came here looking for world PvP, you made a error. Not the server creators. Not those who came here because it's one of the very few PvE server in existence. You.

Do you know why you don't see people who want Monks, or Worgen, or flying in Azeroth, or Garrisons, or Transmog coming onto these forums, taking polls, and expecting their every whim to be catered to? Because they either accept that those things aren't going to be found here, or were smart enough to go where they're available. World PvP isn't any different, and those desiring it aren't entitled to special treatment any more than those listed above. You can either play on a 3.3.5 progressive server, or you can play on a PvP server. You just can't do both at the same time (unless you're running both types at once, of course).

As I said, that's the only argument needed. But, if you feel the need for more, then let me ask: Why are you too lazy to do it yourselves? Instead of flagging an area and then arrogantly telling those who want to quest there that they should just avoid those areas on their own server type, why aren't those wanting world PvP just going out and doing it? Between the forums and cross-faction chat, you've got all the tools you need to set something up without being tools. You don't need the devs to hold your hand. Take some initiative and pull yourselves up by your own boot straps. Or jock straps. Whichever you prefer.

Additionally, flagging certain areas would only make it feel "Vanilla-ish" to those who played on PvP servers back then.
So basiclly you are being selfish and saying "This server will stay PvE because i like it so, fuck catering to other audiences". Having that atitude will turn away alot of players. And what's the problem of having 3.3.5 progressive server and PvP? Who asked this server to be fully PvP? People are just asking for ANY KIND of World PvP, since Arena and BG's are pretty much dead. Why the fuck would i need to organise World PvP event when Dev's can just make zones like Eastern Plagueland, a PvP Zone.
You're basicly in your "Comfort Zone", you don't care about other needs, you don't care that MAJORITY of people want some kind of PvP. I don't understand "Anti-PvP" atitude, server isn't going to be Fully PvP, If second idea get's implemented it will be only couple of Zones, server will stay PvE and there will be no low level ganking.
1337 PvP King Faceroll - level 60 Human Holy Paladin

Trmpah

#14 » Post by Trmpah » 03 Aug 2015 19:27

EbonTopaz wrote:I voted option 4. Leave the server completely PvE.

The fact that this topic is being blown up as such a big "problem" and that it's so often brought up everywhere you look just shows how much PvP players love to whine and complain. Do we really want to cater to these kind of people? I say we shouldn't. It would take too much attention away from the core focus of this server: The Vanilla PvE content.

And let's be perfectly honest here. There are no solid, proper reasons the PvP players have to justify turning Primal-WoW into a PvP server.

Would it increase the population of the server? Maybe. But would they be useful? No. If the server population would increase because of it, then the vast majority of the increased population would come from PvP players who most likely have no interest in anything other than PvP or ganking.
But how about the old-fashioned World PvP? The cold hard truth is that World PvP is dead, and enabling PvP would not bring it back. World PvP existed in Vanilla WoW because Battlegrounds weren't a thing for a while. It was the only way to gain Honor. Now that Battlegrounds are here, World PvP is dead outside of ganking lowbies and the very rare capital city raid.
It would make the world so much more alive and exciting, though! Sure, being camped by somebody twice your level while barely anybody even lifts a finger to help you out is so thrilling.

We shouldn't be looking for a compromise. The PvP players should've known what they were getting in to. If they don't like what they see, then either they can suck it up or just play somewhere else.

Why not try to cather to both groups?
For instance by making enticements for world pvp (while keeping the server PvE), be it vastly increased honor gain, world-pvp-only titles or any other mechanism.
Doing it that way, it could still work fine for PvE'ers, as they could avoid the chaos by not tagging themselves.

Saying that the potential population increase would be of no use is a very interesting oppinion: Apperently, retail guilds on PvP servers never did any PvE.

Zimranf2AU

#15 » Post by Zimranf2AU » 03 Aug 2015 19:38

Last post from me because it's just flat out stupid to rehash this over and over and over just because you're not getting your way. There are plenty of options if you want to PvP but that's not what it's about. It's about ganking lowbies and it's always been about ganking lowbies even though people swear it's not, liars. But please, organize world PvP; raid cities, organize battles between SS/TM or Astranaar/Splintertree (those were always fun because of the distance between them). Get people together and take over Stormwind/Orgrimmar/Goldshire/Crossroads/wherever; that's always fun too and I think there are some related achievements for city assault/defense. Quit complaining and start PvPing if that's what you want. But of course, you won't because like I said before; it's about ganking lowbies and has always been about ganking lowbies. I'm out, post what you want but I won't be reading it. *drops mic*