[Rejected] [Poll] PvP or PvE realm?

Should the realm type be PvP so you can always get attacked by the other faction in neutral zones?

Yes change it to PvP so there is some more danger to leveling.
44%
Keep it PvE, however it's acceptable to convert some of the high level zones to PvP.
13%
No, keep it PvE so everyone can flag themselves for PvP whenever they want.
43%

Total votes: 567

ceh789
Donor

Re: Will the server be switching from a PvE server to a PvP

#46 » Post by ceh789 » 15 Jul 2015 03:52

Lanfeare wrote:...that wouldn't be a thing under the compromise where only high level zones became PvP zones.
How about a compromise where when Dungeon Finder has 3/5 players waiting for more than 5 minutes, the server randomly autoassigns 2 players of the appropriate level and spec to fill out the group? Only if they're in high level zones though! Sound good?

That's what your compromise sounds like to me.

Not sorry folks - I won't ever be on board for the server to switch to a PvP ruleset. If you want to PvP, flag yourself and go looking. If as you believe - lots of people want world PvP - you should find what you're looking for.
Fishie, Level 60 Undead Priest

.doctorwho

#47 » Post by .doctorwho » 15 Jul 2015 06:15

There are plenty of PvP servers out there to choose from already. While they might not be the exact same setup as what's here, they're close enough.

jidakra

#48 » Post by jidakra » 15 Jul 2015 10:55

The argument "there are enough PvP servers out there" does not fly. There are no servers with this particular concept of WotlK mechanics with vanilla content available. And I love this concept so far and am intrigued by it.

However, there is RDF. This feature alone limits the "aliveness" of the world, noone is travelling to the dungeons, just teleporting. Max lvl characters can sit in major cities. It makes the world die a little, take away the flair of the adventureous big world vanilla was.
That alone might not be so much of an issue, if the servers wasn't PvE at the same time. PvE mode makes the world sterile - it adds NOTHING and just blocks one feature of the game. One that people remember as THE first thing the loved about vanilla WoW. My fondest memory of vanilla are the, in hindsight, stupid battles in ashenvale, random encounters at the end of the world in feralas, guildmates coming to help me because I was getting ganked constantly by some high-lvl jerk and later on me being the one that helped.
World PvP adds a significant amount of life to vanilla wow. The introduction of flying mounts to avoid it and the addition of RDF is what made you sit in shattrath/dalaran/stormwind instead of being out there in this amazing world.

Is that what you want?

.unjoined

#49 » Post by .unjoined » 15 Jul 2015 11:31

jidakra wrote:The argument "there are enough PvP servers out there" does not fly. There are no servers with this particular concept of WotlK mechanics with vanilla content available. And I love this concept so far and am intrigued by it.
THIS!

Ofcourse i could join another pvp server but there's no one like this out there.

+1 for everything that Jidakra said. The world pvp was one of the most fun thing ever in vanilla and sometimes tbc.
And like he said, there's rdf so it's a plus for the people who just hate pvp so you don't have to walk to the dungeons and have the chance of being killed

.Abcess

#50 » Post by .Abcess » 15 Jul 2015 12:05

I levelled three characters to cap on a vanilla pvp server and I'm done with it. When most people say they love world pvp what they usually mean is "I want to gank people lower level than me". Entire zones such as Hillsbrad, Redridge and STV were near impossible to quest in. Nope, fuck that.

I'm happy with this as a pve server and if it changed I'd just stop playing.

jidakra

#51 » Post by jidakra » 15 Jul 2015 12:27

Abcess wrote:I levelled three characters to cap on a vanilla pvp server and I'm done with it. When most people say they love world pvp what they usually mean is "I want to gank people lower level than me". Entire zones such as Hillsbrad, Redridge and STV were near impossible to quest in. Nope, fuck that.

I'm happy with this as a pve server and if it changed I'd just stop playing.
You seem to forget that this is not vanilla questing/levelling. You have many more zones to choose from and level much faster than in true vanilla, because of wotlk nerfs. It's not nearly as much of a big deal as it is in true vanilla servers.

Zimranf2AU

#52 » Post by Zimranf2AU » 15 Jul 2015 12:31

If you're all gung-ho about this grand sense of adventure then just /pvp yourself all the time and have at it; I'm sure some opposite faction will satisfy your thirst for danger. As for me, I like going AFK in Nesingwary's camp. I don't get why people join a known PvE server (one of the few) and immediately start bitching. Can't we all just enjoy what Prime has given us in this unique server? The only real equal level world PvP on PvP servers happens in the near level cap zones, most of what goes on is impotents killing people 20-30 levels lower who are just trying to quest. I used to go on my rogue occasionally to Hillsbrad to sap and hug the hordies questing there. Ganking lowbies is cowardly. If Prime wants to make the near level cap zones PvP zones then that's his business. I'm just very happy the way things are and I'm not going to start kvetching for a major change from what I _knew_ I was getting into when I rolled here.

jidakra

#53 » Post by jidakra » 15 Jul 2015 13:04

Zimranf2AU wrote:If you're all gung-ho about this grand sense of adventure then just /pvp yourself all the time and have at it; I'm sure some opposite faction will satisfy your thirst for danger. As for me, I like going AFK in Nesingwary's camp. I don't get why people join a known PvE server (one of the few) and immediately start bitching. Can't we all just enjoy what Prime has given us in this unique server? The only real equal level world PvP on PvP servers happens in the near level cap zones, most of what goes on is impotents killing people 20-30 levels lower who are just trying to quest. I used to go on my rogue occasionally to Hillsbrad to sap and hug the hordies questing there. Ganking lowbies is cowardly. If Prime wants to make the near level cap zones PvP zones then that's his business. I'm just very happy the way things are and I'm not going to start kvetching for a major change from what I _knew_ I was getting into when I rolled here.
Just making suggestions backing them up with arguments, nobody is "demanding" anything.

.Sorrugis

#54 » Post by .Sorrugis » 15 Jul 2015 13:08

Abcess wrote:When most people say they love world pvp what they usually mean is "I want to gank people lower level than me". Entire zones such as Hillsbrad, Redridge and STV were near impossible to quest in. Nope, fuck that.
Not sure why this is always blown out of proportion. Usually each server only has a couple of these types of players and the surrounding community usually shuns them as unable to compete in their level bracket.

Personally I love being able to control a set of herb spawns by taking out my competition or engaging in a 3v1 (the odds stacked against me) while the opposing faction is en route to their weekly raid.

Definitely helps add a dimension to the game that I'd be sad to see missing here.

Zimranf2AU

#55 » Post by Zimranf2AU » 15 Jul 2015 13:23

jidakra wrote:Just making suggestions backing them up with arguments, nobody is "demanding" anything.
Had to re-read my message to make sure I didn't use the word demanding. I understand what you and others are arguing for, it's what I'm arguing against. :)

Cleofatra

#56 » Post by Cleofatra » 15 Jul 2015 17:00

This is probably not an easy fix, but I think would be an elegant one: Allow players to permanently flag themselves by typing "/pvp" that would persist even after logout. Best of both worlds.

lanfear321

#57 » Post by lanfear321 » 15 Jul 2015 17:03

The primary reason why I am playing on this server is that we finally have a PvE server with a decent(ish) population. If they changed it to PvP I would stop playing. My play time is limited these days and if I want to kill some dragons with friends or just spend an hour questing while being zoned out after a hard day, I don't want to be inconvenienced by random neckbeards with nothing better to do than annoy people.

.unjoined

#58 » Post by .unjoined » 15 Jul 2015 17:39

Only with a poll we will know for sure what the community wants. Maybe not now becuase it is kinda low but when we have like 500 people or so.
Just my opinion.

.doctorwho

#59 » Post by .doctorwho » 15 Jul 2015 18:39

jidakra wrote:The argument "there are enough PvP servers out there" does not fly. There are no servers with this particular concept of WotlK mechanics with vanilla content available. And I love this concept so far and am intrigued by it.

However, there is RDF. This feature alone limits the "aliveness" of the world, noone is travelling to the dungeons, just teleporting. Max lvl characters can sit in major cities. It makes the world die a little, take away the flair of the adventureous big world vanilla was.
That alone might not be so much of an issue, if the servers wasn't PvE at the same time. PvE mode makes the world sterile - it adds NOTHING and just blocks one feature of the game. One that people remember as THE first thing the loved about vanilla WoW. My fondest memory of vanilla are the, in hindsight, stupid battles in ashenvale, random encounters at the end of the world in feralas, guildmates coming to help me because I was getting ganked constantly by some high-lvl jerk and later on me being the one that helped.
World PvP adds a significant amount of life to vanilla wow. The introduction of flying mounts to avoid it and the addition of RDF is what made you sit in shattrath/dalaran/stormwind instead of being out there in this amazing world.

Is that what you want?
Who are you going to PvP with out in the world when a lot of people decide to queue for everything in the city rather than get camped by capped and bored players?

Flying mounts actually got people out in the world. They farmed for gold to afford it, and for things like Netherwing rep. And no flying, which they tried out in WoD, failed miserably. If flying wouldn't be available at 70 once TBC drops here, this place would be a ghost town.

Lanfeare

#60 » Post by Lanfeare » 15 Jul 2015 19:02

All we're asking for is a poll while you hurl insult, hyperbole, and claim that the sky will fall for this server if it goes PvP while simultaneously saying that it won't because people will just avoid it via RDF. Also, would you all quit raging about ganking? That's already been mitigated by the high level only zone suggestion. I just think it's ridiculous that you would complain if you had to risk PvP to do a PvP quest or God forbid a PvP boss.