Advertise the server!

Hansrutger
Former Staff

Re: Advertise the server!

#31 » Post by Hansrutger » 25 Feb 2016 18:20

Gnurg here is kinda right about the players not doing too much. Let me give you an example I read about on the facebook.

We have these two kind of players. One willing to support the server and the first one being just to no help and being an asshole. It's just how life sadly will always remain, some people will be less talented into trying whilst others will try and support. So of course I believe staff can do better etc etc. But I really also think the community itself can do A LOT better too. This is the same issue as all the bugs on private servers. All private servers have bugs it's no lie. But the difference is that players are up for helping the developers to find what bugs there are and report them. Here many players QQ "omg they never fix this!!" so I went to Bugtracker to search about it and I couldn't even find a bug report about it. A lot of the things is up to the community and players themselves, but people are too blind or too lazy, can't figure out which one of them.

Edit:
Couldn't been arshed to really blur the names out, you can easily find this post on the FB page anyways after you like it lol.
Retired

I'd say that trying is the best one can do in order to higher themselves from the people crying and only complaining. Whilst you try, it doesn't mean it is always going to be the most successful result but I'd like to think that it is still a better choice than standing idle.

TrueWoW main: Palamaster

keez
Donor

#32 » Post by keez » 25 Feb 2016 20:22

Gnurg wrote:
stormyboy wrote:Ding!

More than a month has passed true wow staff! And i do not see progress. I see some random pics on the facebook page (none with actual impact) and.....that is all. The main page is still dead, no events, no nothing. I think you should get somebody to work on advertising. Someone with experience. Because by the look of it, you are all incredible developers but you have no idea how to promote your product.
Gosh, you're one a whiny one.

If you compare the recent updates on the facebook page to what we had of last year, it's an incredible progress. From what I can tell we've already exceeded the number of posts that we had last year. The random pictures as you call them shows the activity of the server. We have diverse raiding, where we do not like other end-game WotLK servers stick to Icecrown Citadel alone. We take our time to explore Ulduar, Naxxramas and even pre-WotLK content on a weekly basis. Same goes for the PvP scene with those AV, IoC and WG pictures, it's enough players for the larger PvP events.

What I would say is missing from the facebook page is contribution from us players. If those posts had over 100 likes each, the page would seem a lot more active than what it seems like with 3-5 likes they currently get per post. And if you find the content posted lackluster, you're free to make a picture/video montage or whatever you think the facebook page lack. If you post a nice self-made video, I am sure it can be published on the facebook page.

It's not up to the staff alone to advertise the server, it's a duty all of us have if we want to see this server grow.
He is right that you need someone with experience who knows how to run/promote social media.
Everything about the TW facebook page is lazy, not fun and it will never get more likes unless some drastic change happens.
I offered to help out long time ago about this since marketing is the field of my education and I have experience in running social media pages with over 2k followers.
If the GMs continue posting just crap posts nothing will happen with the FB page.
And another problem is the youtube channel, but thats a whole nother discussion.

Nyeriah

#33 » Post by Nyeriah » 25 Feb 2016 20:54

"Crap posts"? :\ I believe what's "crap" or what's "not fun" is rather suggestive. For example, I don't find most PvP videos fun, but that's just my opinion.

What we have right now is just the first step of everything. It may be true that there isn't anything "funny" to some people being posted currently, but that's due the fact that we still don't have anything concrete to work on.

Right now there are 4 things in the "schedule" to be posted by us, and they're the PvP Stats overview, my screenshot gallery, monthly bug tracker briefing and we're also posting something now and then when in-game events start. Other than that, we have the important stuff being posted (like Wintergrasp test season etc).

I don't think we have anyone skilled in imagery or video editing to make anything "astounding" but we are doing what we are able to do.

I don't know what changes are expected to be seen in 1 month, but I'd say that it has already changed a lot from the past 6 years. Right now there are 8 people with access to our Facebook account, twice as much as we used to have. And currently they all have autonomy to post things and reply to messages.

I have inquired the staff in the past if anyone would like to dedicate themselves to the leadership of social medias, but at this time no one seemed to wish to bear the responsibility for it so I took it for myself. I however already have many attribution so it's not something I'm able to dedicate myself entirely to, but still I'm doing the best I can to manage it and make the changes noticeable. For curiosity, this is what I had proposed:
Basically I'm offering a Social Media Leader position, which will eventually be taking care of Facebook, Youtube and Twitter (if someone even still uses that). The concept I had in mind was:
  • - Advertisement of any promotional campaigns executed by other sectors (we're bound to see more of those, includes the Monthly Voting Challenge)
    - Planning and execution of any possible marketing/promotional campaign that we may be allowed to have (video contest, screenshot contest, etc)
    - Responding to Facebook help requests (the personal messages threw there now and then) and guiding users in the right direction.
    - Weekly or monthly, static events of any sort (Intervention had this http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 26#p153626 that I eventually tried to continue at some point)
About the suggestions here presented:
  • - I have posted on Facebook at each major release except Isle of Conquest
    - Posting about Events is a good idea (Blizzard does that)
    - Merging Primal/TrueWoW is on Roel's plans (not sure when it will happen)

Jiranthos
Admin

#34 » Post by Jiranthos » 25 Feb 2016 21:14

A question slightly off-topic, but I wanted to know anyway: Seeing as we're a private server and all, what about the legality and things? Gaining too much attention won't make Blizzard come down with force? Or do they only care about current content emulations (WoD, Legion, etc.)?

Everybody knows that the best way to describe the ocean to a blind man is to push him in

keez
Donor

#35 » Post by keez » 25 Feb 2016 21:15

Ofc truewow has ppl skilled in imagery and video editing but if you dont ask them to help out and make something nothing will happen.
You just need someone to organize this.

Nyeriah

#36 » Post by Nyeriah » 25 Feb 2016 21:21

keez wrote:Ofc truewow has ppl skilled in imagery and video editing but if you dont ask them to help out and make something nothing will happen.
You just need someone to organize this.
I'm not talking about players. Players IMHO shouldn't exactly need to be asked to help, if they can, and feel like helping, then they're already able to do most of what needs to be done, by volunteering or doing things themselves. And of course if they present us a proposal we'll be surely assisting them as we are able.

Whatsmore, at Primal we even have a promotional video contest, still it doesn't receive that much attention. I believe there's one also here, but it's again a sorta dry river with too few contributions if any at all.

Nyeriah

#37 » Post by Nyeriah » 25 Feb 2016 21:36

Jiranthos wrote:A question slightly off-topic, but I wanted to know anyway: Seeing as we're a private server and all, what about the legality and things? Gaining too much attention won't make Blizzard come down with force? Or do they only care about current content emulations (WoD, Legion, etc.)?
I'm not sure about this anymore. I heard rumors that they won't bother with such old expansions anymore, but I guess it's still a possibility. However, we're still way too small for it to be worth them pushing anything against us.

stormyboy

#38 » Post by stormyboy » 01 Mar 2016 11:30

I will not quote everything that i want to answer to. I will just make a post that will answer to everything that it was said.
I agree that now, there is more activity on facebook than it ever was. It is just i do not find the aproach flashy enough. Me, as a player, as a consumer, am not attracted by screenshots of smoke and lights and people fighting. I need to see something to make me scroll through 15 pictures and make me want to see more. There are some pictures that give an idea of how the server is. But not a lot. Good job on posting PvP stats and i like that video of inquisition

And about the comunity's help, i am sure that people would love to help you (see the post from February 16 at 8:41pm). But remember that some servers never requested players help and still got a few thousands of players on launch, without previous history ( i will not give names but i can if you allow it).

Nyeriah, you said that you have a video contest on primal wow but it is not very succesful. Think it like this, there are few players with video editing skills or fraps to record things, but everyone has print screen button on their keyboard. A contest with screenshots like this one would have great success
https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=576CDC78
I do not own the photo, i found it on facebook

Longi

#39 » Post by Longi » 01 Mar 2016 11:50

what about make short videos ( 2-5 minutes max ) about scripts we have :) and post it on youtube / fb where ppl can see it
something like when you created that video with Onyxia quest in Sw :) that was fine :)
we can do same with some lore quests, mobs emote or from dungeons / raids like ICC´s event before PP, sindy , toc 5 is working nice now and so on :)
simple things well working, dont promote server just with pvp thats bullshit, Truewow wants to be the most Blizzlike server so lets show those blizzlike scripts :)

Naljs

#40 » Post by Naljs » 01 Mar 2016 19:09

longi wrote:what about make short videos ( 2-5 minutes max ) about scripts we have :) and post it on youtube / fb where ppl can see it
This is actually a great idea, seeing this is by far the best working server I've played on and there are some pretty amazing scripts that people who play here have come to take for granted. Kiting in world PvE, for one. Still haven't seen that one work on any other server.
"I have resolved never to start an unjust war, but never to end a legitimate one except by defeating my enemies."
King Charles XII of Sweden (1682-1718)
Yes, I know there is a special place in Hell for me.
It's called a Throne.

stormyboy

#41 » Post by stormyboy » 02 May 2016 11:05

And, ding. A few months passed since my original post and i still can't see this server on the internet. You made some sweet internal changes and a fancy post on the first page. But nobody will see that post if you don't go out and advertise the server. (this is just a reminder. No suggestion. For suggestions read what was posted before)

stormyboy

#42 » Post by stormyboy » 01 Oct 2016 18:12

Up (haven' played here since the last time i posted. But the population seems lower than before. I'd love to come back but pls, advertise the server a bit)

Bloodshade

#43 » Post by Bloodshade » 01 Oct 2016 18:35

Hansrutger wrote: Here many players QQ "omg they never fix this!!" so I went to Bugtracker to search about it and I couldn't even find a bug report about it. A lot of the things is up to the community and players themselves, but people are too blind or too lazy, can't figure out which one of them.
Bruh, me and 50+ ppl are qqing about LOS bug from maybe more than a year, it is reported.. even was more than once. Possibly the most gamebreaking thing in the server atm, there were even videos of how it works.

Also don't call Hugo an asshole, wth :cry:
- - -Wrathful chiken - - - - - Salty chiken - - -
ImageImageImageImage

stormyboy

#44 » Post by stormyboy » 02 Oct 2016 22:28

Bloodshade wrote:
Hansrutger wrote: me and 50+ ppl are qqing about LOS bug from maybe more than a year, it is reported.. even was more than once.
Yep. True story

Gnurg

#45 » Post by Gnurg » 11 Oct 2016 00:58

I think it was made clear that is a duty for all of us rather than just the staff. This is not a suggestion you accept/decline, but rather an encouragement to the community. Can be trashed/archived.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE