[Rejected] Disable Failed Login Autoban

Scorpio

[Rejected] Disable Failed Login Autoban

#1 » Post by Scorpio » 20 Jan 2015 23:19

As discussed in this topic, I was thinking that maybe the failed login autoban should be disabled or require more failed entries to trigger. Currently, it is confusing many new players and there are always questions about it on the forum (I provided some links in the mentioned topic).
Scorpio ~ Level 19 Rogue

Blacklustersoldier
Honorary Member

Re: Disable Failed Login Autoban

#2 » Post by Blacklustersoldier » 20 Jan 2015 23:25

5 tries is more than enough to get your pass right.... if it would be removed, it would allow "hackers" to guess your pass
RETIRED
Contact info:
[hide]Skype: bone.link90
Battle tag EU: bonelink90#2702
E-mail: bone.link90@yahoo.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mihai.Udrescu90
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198138722978/[/hide]
Char list:
[hide]Blackluster
Katra
Mystral
Sepinia
Shanira
Stasher
Lightluster
Soreya
Dastan
Xeria
Runya[/hide]

Scorpio

#3 » Post by Scorpio » 20 Jan 2015 23:32

Blacklustersoldier wrote:5 tries is more than enough to get your pass right
Well, 5 tries should be enough, but it clearly isn't. Just do a forum search for "login autoban" and you will find that a lot of people have had trouble with this, and that doesn't even show how many people get confused but don't post to the forums.
Blacklustersoldier wrote:if it would be removed, it would allow "hackers" to guess your pass
That's why I suggested that the number of failed entries be increased as an alternative to the whole feature being removed.
Scorpio ~ Level 19 Rogue

strikerz6
Donor

#4 » Post by strikerz6 » 21 Jan 2015 01:28

People should learn from their mistakes the first time, the autoban is fine at 5, people just need to either learn to put their password in a text document, write it down, or just memorize it really, common logic right there
Your friend/enemy, Twinfox/Isutan

Scorpio

#5 » Post by Scorpio » 21 Jan 2015 02:39

strikerz6 wrote:People should learn from their mistakes the first time, the autoban is fine at 5, people just need to either learn to put their password in a text document, write it down, or just memorize it really, common logic right there
They are learning from their mistakes, as there's not a single post (AFAIK) in which somebody has had to ask for clarification a second time. But, that's not the point. The point of this would be to spare people from ever running into the 'confusing' ban in the first place. This just seems like a relatively simple thing that could be implemented to save a lot of people a lot of time, including the staff members who have to deal with all of these posts. Unless a bot/hacker can make noticeable progress on cracking a password with an additional 5 tries (DISCLAIMER: I know absolutely nothing about bots/hackers), I don't see a downside to this.
Scorpio ~ Level 19 Rogue

Scorpio

#6 » Post by Scorpio » 21 Jan 2015 03:03

To clarify my previous post, I was talking about increasing the number of times you can fail a login before you get an autoban. Completely disabling the autoban is out of the picture, and in hindsight, it wasn't even a good idea. Sorry for the misleading title. :(
Scorpio ~ Level 19 Rogue

Vyrath
Donor

#7 » Post by Vyrath » 23 Jan 2015 05:31

Autoban lasts what ten minutes? That's not long enough if you ask me. I don't want one of you retards hacking my shit and stealing my account full of 80s. And it should be shortened to three tries! Account safety so awesome it even keeps YOU out of your own account!
Fuglyface lvl 80 Troll Shaman
Scourgelord lvl 80 Orc Death Knight
Misery lvl 80 Blood Elf Warlock
Hunk lvl 80 Blood Elf Paladin
Furburger lvl 80 Tauren Druid
Dataxe lvl 80 Orc Warrior
Deadfugs lvl 80 Forsaken Rogue
Fugsy lvl 80 Troll Hunter
Fugs lvl 80 Troll Priest
Fugtastic lvl 80 Troll Mage
Furryfugs lvl 16 Tauren Druid

Scorpio

#8 » Post by Scorpio » 23 Jan 2015 05:49

Vyrath wrote:Autoban lasts what ten minutes? That's not long enough if you ask me. I don't want one of you retards hacking my shit and stealing my account full of 80s. And it should be shortened to three tries! Account safety so awesome it even keeps YOU out of your own account!
Once again, I don't know too much about hackers, but I don't think a hacker having only 3 tries will change much from when he has 10 tries. I'd really appreciate some input from someone who is well-versed on this subject.
Scorpio ~ Level 19 Rogue

strikerz6
Donor

#9 » Post by strikerz6 » 23 Jan 2015 06:12

Vyrath wrote:Autoban lasts what ten minutes? That's not long enough if you ask me. I don't want one of you retards hacking my shit and stealing my account full of 80s. And it should be shortened to three tries! Account safety so awesome it even keeps YOU out of your own account!
nice trolling dude...
Your friend/enemy, Twinfox/Isutan

benzviliran

#10 » Post by benzviliran » 23 Jan 2015 15:04

"pls disable so it will be easier for me to mass guess someone password and i wont have to wait before trying again pls pls pls"
I am the swarm

Nazz
Donor

#11 » Post by Nazz » 23 Jan 2015 15:13

When you get banned for failed login you get an IP ban for 10 minutes, so that means that you yourself typed in wrong password five or more times. Just saying.

Kindzadza
Former Staff

#12 » Post by Kindzadza » 23 Jan 2015 15:20

Sorry won't happen for obvious reasons and situations in the past.

Rejecting.