Truewow to Primal Character Transfer

User avatar
Devowhipit
Posts: 6
Joined: 04 May 2016 01:10

Truewow to Primal Character Transfer

#1 » Post by Devowhipit » 09 May 2017 06:34

There are a lot of us who have been playing The WOTLK realm for a while and switched to primal due to lack of players. I think if we had the option to transfer characters from one to the other that would be great. I know some things wouldn't work because of the difference in patch but I am sure the brilliant gms of this game would figure it out. I have a level 63 hunter who is decked to the 9 and its a shame she's on the other realm. I wish I could transfer her to primal wow. I think if players had the option to do this it would be used quite often. Hey others can transfer their characters from a completely different server, why can't we truewowers transfer with in the server. Thank you gms and creators for keeping world of Warcraft what it should have always been free and stuck at Lich king. This is by far the most addictive game there is.

User avatar
Floss
Posts: 458
Joined: 25 Jan 2014 20:46

Re: Truewow to Primal Character Transfer

#2 » Post by Floss » 09 May 2017 08:45

The problem is not technical.
I think GMs are concerned about the wider repercussions of doings this in terms of TrueWow's population.
Read this - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=37213.

Although it was posted by me , i've changed my mind after playing on PW and now i totally support this But it Has to be done the right way.

User avatar
Jiranthos
Admin
Posts: 1690
Joined: 23 Jun 2015 03:43
Location: Not on your bad side, hopefully

Re: Truewow to Primal Character Transfer

#3 » Post by Jiranthos » 09 May 2017 11:18

Like Floss has already correctly pointed out, it needs to be done right, if it's done. This means a lot of planning and preparing for exceptions, edge cases, coming up with a fair system that doesn't give too much or too little advantage to transferees relative to "native" PrimalWoW players, etc. It just needs so much discussion, to be done painlessly.
You, as a community, could try helping with coming up with a ruleset or theoretical mechanics for this, too, and it would greatly hasten and alleviate the process. Try to put you in all three party's shoes -
1) You are a long-term PrimalWoW player and these new people start rolling in with their fancy mounts and achievements and banks full of items ready to be equipped on Day 1 of WotLK.
2) You are a long-term TrueWoW player and don't want to lose your years and years worth of progress, achievements, mounts, pets, items.
3) You are staff and want the best for both realms, have a balance and not tip the scales towards one side too much. You also want to make sure the system cannot be abused, characters cannot be somehow duplicated, you also need to think about the future and how opening and closing or merging of realms can influence this decision.
Basically come up with a good compromise. It's likely that all 3 parties will not really "love" the end-result, but it will be something like "fine, we can deal with that...", which is alright.
Then also technical details, can it be easily coded? How fast it is implemented will be hugely dependent on what other issues we are already currently working on, and the simplicity of the system. All the anti-abuse mechanisms need to be coded in, make sure it never fails, and that there are no weird situations that completely break everything for everyone.

Everybody knows that the best way to describe the ocean to a blind man is to push him in

User avatar
Cocopuffs
Donor
Posts: 385
Joined: 14 Dec 2013 20:22
Location: Shadows of the Night

Re: Truewow to Primal Character Transfer

#4 » Post by Cocopuffs » 09 May 2017 12:23

Like Floss has already correctly pointed out, it needs to be done right, if it's done. This means a lot of planning and preparing for exceptions, edge cases, coming up with a fair system that doesn't give too much or too little advantage to transferees relative to "native" PrimalWoW players, etc. It just needs so much discussion, to be done painlessly.
how is it unfair if i.e. transfering gold with the char (at least), when the gold was earned at x1 rates too?
not that it matters, when primalwow reaches the state of truewow it will die again, everyone knows we only have PW to get roel more donations :^D

User avatar
Deim
Posts: 359
Joined: 15 Jul 2015 22:14

Re: Truewow to Primal Character Transfer

#5 » Post by Deim » 09 May 2017 12:40

Cocopuffs wrote:
09 May 2017 12:23
Like Floss has already correctly pointed out, it needs to be done right, if it's done. This means a lot of planning and preparing for exceptions, edge cases, coming up with a fair system that doesn't give too much or too little advantage to transferees relative to "native" PrimalWoW players, etc. It just needs so much discussion, to be done painlessly.
how is it unfair if i.e. transfering gold with the char (at least), when the gold was earned at x1 rates too?
not that it matters, when primalwow reaches the state of truewow it will die again, everyone knows we only have PW to get roel more donations :^D
Answer is inflation. While mounts and pets would just fuck up ladders, gold would cause huge inflation, richiest players on Primal have around 50-60k g and there are just few of them. You can literaly count them on fingers of one hand. Gold is not that easy to come by on vanilla wrath, also huge goldsinks relatively to possible sources of income. You would just fuck up wwhole market big time.
TrueWoW - Retired
PrimalWoW - Retired
Rest in pepperoni Crimson
RIP in pepperoni Aftershock
Spokesman of Aftershock in case of any questions/complaints hit me up in game or via PM.

Disclaimer: What I write on behalf guild doesn't always corelate with my own beliefs.

User avatar
Cocopuffs
Donor
Posts: 385
Joined: 14 Dec 2013 20:22
Location: Shadows of the Night

Re: Truewow to Primal Character Transfer

#6 » Post by Cocopuffs » 09 May 2017 12:49

Deim wrote:
09 May 2017 12:40
Answer is inflation. While mounts and pets would just fuck up ladders, gold would cause huge inflation, richiest players on Primal have around 50-60k g and there are just few of them. You can literaly count them on fingers of one hand. Gold is not that easy to come by on vanilla wrath, also huge goldsinks relatively to possible sources of income. You would just fuck up wwhole market big time.
not easy? i played on primalwow for like a week, got a char to 60 and got my riding without any problems, 0 professions too. and 50-60k is already a lot, you gotta be a legit nerd to have that amount of gold. if i have 5k on one char i'm already good, gold is only worth having to bribe noobs to sell loot they won on roll anyway.

User avatar
Brennus
Posts: 524
Joined: 17 Jan 2013 05:25
Location: Argent Tournament Grounds

Re: Truewow to Primal Character Transfer

#7 » Post by Brennus » 09 May 2017 13:32

Jiranthos wrote:
09 May 2017 11:18
Like Floss has already correctly pointed out, it needs to be done right, if it's done. This means a lot of planning and preparing for exceptions, edge cases, coming up with a fair system that doesn't give too much or too little advantage to transferees relative to "native" PrimalWoW players, etc. It just needs so much discussion, to be done painlessly.
You, as a community, could try helping with coming up with a ruleset or theoretical mechanics for this, too, and it would greatly hasten and alleviate the process. Try to put you in all three party's shoes -
1) You are a long-term PrimalWoW player and these new people start rolling in with their fancy mounts and achievements and banks full of items ready to be equipped on Day 1 of WotLK.
2) You are a long-term TrueWoW player and don't want to lose your years and years worth of progress, achievements, mounts, pets, items.
3) You are staff and want the best for both realms, have a balance and not tip the scales towards one side too much. You also want to make sure the system cannot be abused, characters cannot be somehow duplicated, you also need to think about the future and how opening and closing or merging of realms can influence this decision.
Basically come up with a good compromise. It's likely that all 3 parties will not really "love" the end-result, but it will be something like "fine, we can deal with that...", which is alright.
Then also technical details, can it be easily coded? How fast it is implemented will be hugely dependent on what other issues we are already currently working on, and the simplicity of the system. All the anti-abuse mechanisms need to be coded in, make sure it never fails, and that there are no weird situations that completely break everything for everyone.

There is no such thing as "too little advantage".
If I was to transfer to Primal and got a weaker character than I expected that wouldn't be a problem.


The thing is, there is no way of making a fair system of transfers from TW to Primal (the other way is not true though). The best you could do is to simply forget 1:1 and, instead, give a basic character to people who request such transfers (and keep the original character) - that way there will be no conflict when both realms merge (like BiS gear on day zero / professions / Death Knights), people already on Primal will not be unhappy (because no advantage was given to TW / no inflation / no unfair mounts or unobtainable achievements) and last but not least while the truewowers will not be 100% pleased, they cannot complain either as that's better than nothing...
•     Currently No longer retired     •
 
Image

User avatar
x00er00
Posts: 53
Joined: 20 Dec 2013 20:58
Location: Bucharest
Contact:

Re: Truewow to Primal Character Transfer

#8 » Post by x00er00 » 09 May 2017 14:14

I personally would never accept a stock "blank template character " instead of the avatar i worked 13 years on... no way ever...
So i guess ill be on Truewow until said Trw merge with Pw happens in about 2 years or so from now.
Image

User avatar
Deim
Posts: 359
Joined: 15 Jul 2015 22:14

Re: Truewow to Primal Character Transfer

#9 » Post by Deim » 09 May 2017 14:23

Cocopuffs wrote:
09 May 2017 12:49
not easy? i played on primalwow for like a week, got a char to 60 and got my riding without any problems, 0 professions too. and 50-60k is already a lot, you gotta be a legit nerd to have that amount of gold. if i have 5k on one char i'm already good, gold is only worth having to bribe noobs to sell loot they won on roll anyway.
Oh c'mon....
On TrueWoW it's piss easy to get gold when compared to Primal, where you don't have dailies, quests award less gold, you can't sell lets say BQL neck or Marrow ring for 20k...Those are simple facts.

Fucking different expansion. Having ppl with tons of money when LK is released - no problem. But during end of vanilla and start of TBC? No way.

Primal has been up for two years while TrueWoW realm for over 6 ? How much more time ppl had to hoard gold and items.

"To bribe noobs on bis gear" ? Dude plz you haven't played anywhere recently where u have actual progression? You burn tons of money/mats on resistance gear sets, new enchants everytime you get new piece, quest chains that actualy require burning mats like war effort, skillups, repairs etc. Mounts are huge goldsinks compared to possible earning. You need to grind mobs af or play AH whole days to get to 50k I mentioned previously. Also there are 5 players max who reached that insane amounts of money.

Also transfers from other pservers are limited to 500g to Primal and 2.5k for TW, that's also not to cause inflation (also earned on 1x rates why would it be fair that they can't bring all gold to Primal while TW players could?)

Also for Achivments/mounts/pets... some people play to top the ladders. Maybe you didn't notice or care but transfering hks when 1:1 transfers were introduced cause huge stir and made few ppl quit. Giving out things that are not avaliable to majority aint good thing. You have to understand and accept it.
I don't like idea of loosing my progress on TW either but moving lets say my warlock or hpala with reatively big amounts of gold to Primal and not obtainable yet mounts, full proffessions, tons of achivment points, rare pets etc. is just not fair towards ppl who play only there.

EDIT:
I just got an idea. How about characters at the end of progression that merge ? I mean u play paladin named X on TW and paladin also named X on Primal, at the end of progression just make what Nehr'zul and Arthas did. Merge it into one. So they complementary get achivs, items, you didn't have previously .
TrueWoW - Retired
PrimalWoW - Retired
Rest in pepperoni Crimson
RIP in pepperoni Aftershock
Spokesman of Aftershock in case of any questions/complaints hit me up in game or via PM.

Disclaimer: What I write on behalf guild doesn't always corelate with my own beliefs.

User avatar
Cocopuffs
Donor
Posts: 385
Joined: 14 Dec 2013 20:22
Location: Shadows of the Night

Re: Truewow to Primal Character Transfer

#10 » Post by Cocopuffs » 09 May 2017 14:49

Deim wrote:
09 May 2017 14:23
Cocopuffs wrote:
09 May 2017 12:49
not easy? i played on primalwow for like a week, got a char to 60 and got my riding without any problems, 0 professions too. and 50-60k is already a lot, you gotta be a legit nerd to have that amount of gold. if i have 5k on one char i'm already good, gold is only worth having to bribe noobs to sell loot they won on roll anyway.
Oh c'mon....
(...)
lol the primalwow nerds get salty over achievements? i farmed 10.5k achievement points for nothing on truewow, where's my compensation? idgaf about no primalwow player base. if roel values my donations, as well as many other donations from players of TRUEWOW, not this primal garbage, he'll allow us to keep what we earned. if not, cya truewow, enjoy your 100 player peaks.

User avatar
MerelyASetback
Donor
Posts: 106
Joined: 07 Aug 2013 23:49

Re: Truewow to Primal Character Transfer

#11 » Post by MerelyASetback » 09 May 2017 14:54

(People already brought up these points while I was writing this but I'll post it again)

You can never justify a 1:1 or similar transfer from TW to PW. Let's go over some aspects and analyse them:

Gold
As stated before, there's a lot more gold on TW than on PW. Years of dailies, years of farming greens/greys that sell for a lot more than they do in PW's vanilla phase make it impossible to transfer the gold (even at a reduced rate).

Gear
Even if the gear is locked or not equip-able it causes issues when it becomes available. When does it exactly? Day 1 of the raid tier release? This will kill of realm first races. You'll end up having a day 0 BiS geared character on every Wrath (or even BC if you were smart enough to farm it for 'transmog' purposes) raid release.

Reputation
Both BC and Wrath have reputations that have to be farmed to unlock either gear/enchants/raids. It's a lot easier to grind it out with a geared 80 than having to do it with a level 70 character.

Honour kills
Yes, ruin the ruined ladder even more by adding in people with more inflated honor kills. (You can do this, it's already to late for this one).

Achievements
Kill off the achievement ladder as well, while we're at it.

Items
Farming items and mounts and everything is a lot easier if you had 6-7 years to do it on a level 80 character.

Now this is a game based on achieving something, every time you do something your brain releases some chemicals that make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. Transferring over all your 'grand' past achievements won't bring that to the PW realm at all. Making a 1:1 downscaled copy will not make you play PW, it will encourage you to afk in main cities instead of playing the game and doing what everyone else is doing around you. You won't know how it feels to farm a hard reputation and eventually you'll just leave because you have 'nothing to do' or are out of touch with everyone around you. But honestly if you cared about 'playing' PW you would have created a character here already. Oh yes, levelling a character is annoying and believe me, we all have levelled characters to level cap over one hundred times already...

Now on the other hand, what can you offer the TW-players and not at the same time screw PW players over?
- A basic predefined character that the retail transfers get.
- Increased experience rates for 1 (or more) characters (1.5x - 2 x or something lowish)
- Maybe max out a profession skill (without recipes) if the player really put work and effort into it on the TW realm (95%+ of available recipes on the TW realm).
- Some vote points to be spent on Primal only.
- A vanity pet.
- A nice realm that tries to maintain all the qualities they are used to.
- Friendly people.
Moroes - Combat PVE / Subish PVP

User avatar
skyx
Posts: 277
Joined: 01 Mar 2014 17:04

Re: Truewow to Primal Character Transfer

#12 » Post by skyx » 09 May 2017 15:22

MerelyASetback wrote:
09 May 2017 14:54

Now on the other hand, what can you offer the TW-players and not at the same time screw PW players over?
- A basic predefined character that the retail transfers get.
- Increased experience rates for 1 (or more) characters (1.5x - 2 x or something lowish)
- Maybe max out a profession skill (without recipes) if the player really put work and effort into it on the TW realm (95%+ of available recipes on the TW realm).
- Some vote points to be spent on Primal only.
- A vanity pet.
- A nice realm that tries to maintain all the qualities they are used to.
- Friendly people.
Sounds good but it would be nice if we could port all our characters.

Assume I have a TW Warrior and a PW Warrior. Once PW reaches Wotlk, can I transfer everything from my PW character to my TW character i.e. "merge" my characters?

User avatar
Deim
Posts: 359
Joined: 15 Jul 2015 22:14

Re: Truewow to Primal Character Transfer

#13 » Post by Deim » 09 May 2017 15:32

Cocopuffs wrote:
09 May 2017 14:49
lol the primalwow nerds get salty over achievements? i farmed 10.5k achievement points for nothing on truewow, where's my compensation? idgaf about no primalwow player base. if roel values my donations, as well as many other donations from players of TRUEWOW, not this primal garbage, he'll allow us to keep what we earned. if not, cya truewow, enjoy your 100 player peaks.
I love how you mildly insult everyone in every post... Can't we have a CULTURAL discussion anywhere in this forums when it comes to TW only players ? You all act as if server staff owned you something for the fact that you play here. It's the other way round.

Primal currently is bigger and that won't change so keep that "primal garbage" "primal nerds" "idgaf about primal" to yourself.

If majority of ppl that stay on TW behave and voices their opinion in the manner you do than no ty, stay afking in Dala instead of comming there transfer or not.


Also 100% agree with MerelyASetback
TrueWoW - Retired
PrimalWoW - Retired
Rest in pepperoni Crimson
RIP in pepperoni Aftershock
Spokesman of Aftershock in case of any questions/complaints hit me up in game or via PM.

Disclaimer: What I write on behalf guild doesn't always corelate with my own beliefs.

User avatar
Cocopuffs
Donor
Posts: 385
Joined: 14 Dec 2013 20:22
Location: Shadows of the Night

Re: Truewow to Primal Character Transfer

#14 » Post by Cocopuffs » 09 May 2017 16:02

Deim wrote:
09 May 2017 15:32
Cocopuffs wrote:
09 May 2017 14:49
lol the primalwow nerds get salty over achievements? i farmed 10.5k achievement points for nothing on truewow, where's my compensation? idgaf about no primalwow player base. if roel values my donations, as well as many other donations from players of TRUEWOW, not this primal garbage, he'll allow us to keep what we earned. if not, cya truewow, enjoy your 100 player peaks.
(...)
it's only an insult if you review yourself in the points I make. anyhoo, primal truly is garbage, a half assed "vanilla" realm with wotlk engine, if I wanted to go play TBC, i'd go Excalibur, not waste my time / money on a realm that gives no fucks about the actual player base that kickstarted the whole thing.

User avatar
Nyeriah

Re: Truewow to Primal Character Transfer

#15 » Post by Nyeriah » 09 May 2017 16:08

There will not be 1:1 transfers to PrimalWoW. The characters will be predefined. However, the templates are being updated to be more realistic to the current raiding environment (so you at least can skip Molten Core, etc). Those were the plans, but with TBC coming soon it might change for the better.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests