A little chat moderation goes a long way.

.Xaqshnr

A little chat moderation goes a long way.

#1 » Post by .Xaqshnr » 07 Sep 2015 23:43

It's a crying shame when the use of caps is a an offense that can get you muted or banned in the general chat channels but offensive language such as calling someone a faggot is ok. (This according to one of your very own GM's)

The idea for this server is a great on, Prime. Seeing you stick to your guns on the whole PvE / PvP deal and coming up with a content release schedule that you stuck with was wonderful. I honestly believe this server can be great even with a current player cap at around 300-350 daily during peak hours. But when harassing, rude and offensive language and behavior is tolerated in general chat but caps is strictly moderated you will lose more loyal players than you will gain. That type of behavior just attracts more of the disloyal, immature and quick to troll for a good laugh crowd than the committed type of player that will stick with you till the end.

I agree that someone spamming chat with caps and that stupid item link requires moderation but so does the other ignorant and offensive chat that takes place in the servers world channels. Thanks for taking the time to read this Prime and I hope you consider what I have said here.
Last edited by Guest on 08 Sep 2015 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

anniefelis

Re: A little chat moderation goes a long way.

#2 » Post by anniefelis » 08 Sep 2015 00:47

+1

There are a lot of bigots in world chat, and even in LFG. Then there are the ton of rape jokes, which after hearing some 13-year-old say that he's going to rape everybody's mother for the fifth time it gets really old. I left LFG and world chat because it's so toxic that I can't even concentrate on playing. It's like watching a bunch of kids on the playground screaming at each other. Some moderation would be nice.

.roodypoohero

#3 » Post by .roodypoohero » 08 Sep 2015 03:57

I personally would take obnoxious world chat over none. It's really just banter guys, it's what happens when young men on the internet get together. What I could do without is Dymond being a smarmy cunt after I told him the defias traitor hadn't spawned at all and when he did he flew (literally) to moonbrook.

Biffleur

#4 » Post by Biffleur » 08 Sep 2015 05:19

+2!

World chat is always full of toxic people, and nothing seems to be done about the language or crude, offensive remarks made regularly in the channel
Alliance - Puddles & Commodus

.Enderos

#5 » Post by .Enderos » 08 Sep 2015 05:22

I'm long past agreement on this subject. The ticker invites you to join World chat but it may just as well say, 'If you're looking for reasons to not play here, type /join world'.

It's not even a smattering of asshats, it's all asshats, all the time. And when they aren't busy spouting like 4-yo's that have just learned a new swear word, they're disrespecting the GMs. If someone joins the server looking for an enjoyable experience /world is only showing them that they've joined a group of barely literate little jackasses that would rather whine than play.

The GMs put in enough effort to help players that I hate to watch it all undone by the playerbase here. But that's exactly what happens in /world.

Virunus
Donor

#6 » Post by Virunus » 08 Sep 2015 05:38

"But when harassing, rude and offensive language and behavior is tolerated in guild chat but caps is strictly moderated you will lose more loyal players than you will gain."

They aren't going to moderate private channels like that, as you can make the decision to leave, or an officer can make the decision to kick the offending player.

Agreed for world chat and other channels though.

Snow22

#7 » Post by Snow22 » 08 Sep 2015 06:19

Wouldn't mind seeing a little censorship in world chat / LFG chat. I'm all for banter to but whats happening there isn't banter. Like 90% of the time anyway. Saying that it is retail like. Trade chat on kilrogg eu was way worse

Dymond
Senior Game Master

#8 » Post by Dymond » 08 Sep 2015 12:33

roodypoohero wrote:I personally would take obnoxious world chat over none. It's really just banter guys, it's what happens when young men on the internet get together. What I could do without is Dymond being a smarmy cunt after I told him the defias traitor hadn't spawned at all and when he did he flew (literally) to moonbrook.

1. I never said that calling players offensive words were accepted. Sometimes the chat goes by so fast, I can not read everything.
2. Roodpoohero I have no idea what you are talking about, and every time I log online to complete tickets I try my best to help any and all players that have an open ticket.
3. If you have an issue, such as the defias traitor not spawning correctly, make a ticket to ensure that your issue gets attention.
"Grief is the price we pay for love."

.Xaqshnr

#9 » Post by .Xaqshnr » 08 Sep 2015 13:26

Virunus wrote:"But when harassing, rude and offensive language and behavior is tolerated in guild chat but caps is strictly moderated you will lose more loyal players than you will gain.".
My apologies, that was a typo. The intended word was "general" not "guild" and has been fixed. I agree, private channels are up to the players themselves to moderate. The general channels are up to the GM's to moderate.
Dymond wrote:
roodypoohero wrote:I personally would take obnoxious world chat over none. It's really just banter guys, it's what happens when young men on the internet get together. What I could do without is Dymond being a smarmy cunt after I told him the defias traitor hadn't spawned at all and when he did he flew (literally) to moonbrook.

1. I never said that calling players offensive words were accepted. Sometimes the chat goes by so fast, I can not read everything.
2. Roodpoohero I have no idea what you are talking about, and every time I log online to complete tickets I try my best to help any and all players that have an open ticket.
3. If you have an issue, such as the defias traitor not spawning correctly, make a ticket to ensure that your issue gets attention.
I did not call you out personally Dymond, but I am glad you replied. The incident that pushed me to the point of posting this did involve you.

In world chat a player used all caps to use an offensive word. Your response to them was "No caps please". That was when I asked you "So saying faggot is ok but using caps is crossing the line?..." Your immediate response was "yes".

There were 2 maybe 3 messages between my question and your answer. I didn't take a screenshot of it because honestly, I have no intention to log back in until something is done about the lack of moderation in chat. You may not have intended your response for my question but it sure seemed as if it was. There was no further moderation for this particular player, no clarification that offensive, harassing or rude language/behavior is not tolerated.

I don't want this thread to turn into a he said she said post or another one of the million flame wars that take place on this forum so I am going to finish with this:

I am ok with leaving /world if you want to use that as an un-moderated channel. There is nothing to be gained from /world 90% of the time anyway. If that is what you wish to do then I suggest removing "join /world to chat with other players" from you server anouncement rotation and start moderating the LFG channel more. Often times world will rollover into LFG and that channel, which has a specific purpose, becomes just as rude, offensive or harassing as world tends to be.

Thank you for you input on the matter Dymond, I know you are busy and I appreciate the work you put into the server.

.roodypoohero

#10 » Post by .roodypoohero » 08 Sep 2015 22:58

Dymond wrote:

Dude I had been waiting literally an entire day for him to spawn, I was playing mad max and checking every so often. I also had a ticket open for at least 3 hours before I closed it, then the next day I saw you were in world chat and decided to open one and once I did I believe you said some along the lines of "There, traitor spawned in like 5 seconds." Then after he did actually spawn he bounced his ass in a straight line to moonbrook. Cmon man I wouldn't be upset if this quest wasn't working but it is and I've seen several people including dodgy do it.

Dymond
Senior Game Master

#11 » Post by Dymond » 08 Sep 2015 23:09

You should have opened a new ticket while I was online, I promise I had no idea that he was still bugged.
"Grief is the price we pay for love."

Nyeriah

#12 » Post by Nyeriah » 08 Sep 2015 23:28

5. While a certain amount of swearing, verbal assaults, racism or disrespectful comments towards another player or religion are expected, they should not get out of control. GMs will decide on a punishment proper to the volume of the violation.
The rules foresee that a certain amount of swearing is expected and it's tolerated until it gets out of control. Did the casualty in question get out of control without staff intervention?

Does this community really wish to have any and every swear word outright censured, independently of its context?

This does seem like a regression to me.

Etro
Honorary Member

#13 » Post by Etro » 08 Sep 2015 23:47

What might be offensive to some might be offensive to none and might be offensive to all.

IMO (as a member of the community), if we are going to moderate feeling offended, we might aswell moderate every possible offense or none at all. Otherwise, we are being bias and self-right·eous by making rules out of standards of what we, ultimately subjective, think is offensive and is not. I would lean towards none at all.

That is, of course, for swear and what someone might consider offensive words. Things as spam and caps are not moderated for being offensive but for disrupting the chat flow.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

.Xaqshnr

#14 » Post by .Xaqshnr » 09 Sep 2015 02:45

My apologies. I thought the use of faggot, rape, nigger, etc is pretty obviously offensive and generally not tolerated. The whole "well, you should expect it to happen therefore nothing will be done unless it gets out of hand" is a pretty bull shit excuse. What is considered out of hand? To a GM who has never been raped maybe out of hand is 10-15 uses of the word. But to a player who has been just 1 use of the word could be considered out of hand.

How do you possibly expect to control and gain the respect of a community when you have a pretty much anything goes until I say otherwise demeanor. That just breads the toxic type of community and chat that you are "so diligently" against. How many times has Prime shut down a PvP thread because it "turned into a flame war that leads to a toxic community" or posted in a thread "All that can be said about this topic has been said and continuing with this discussion will just lead to flames and a toxic community"

If you are trying to avoid a toxic community then you have to start at the basics. You know, basic chat moderation...

But I now see that the moderation is more of an "expect it and ignore it or don't use the world channel that we created and intended for you to use" type moderation. Which is no moderation at all. Thanks for the clarity...

Lilian

#15 » Post by Lilian » 09 Sep 2015 03:18

If you're getting offended by people saying "faggot" in public you better turn on your mature language filter. About rape and nigger, that's bad, but haven't they always insta-muted for nigger? Why would you be bringing it up, just to back up your weak, my-feelings-are-hurt argument?

IMO, GMs have done fine to strike balance in moderation and thats how it should be. If you're extremely offended over something you can open a ticket and report them. But don't come up with this stupid QQ because someone said you were a faggot. Deal with it. You won't have somebody to hold on your hand through your life and this isn't kindergarden. It is not their job to educate anyone on using the internet.