[Accepted] Transfer terms reform

Chasity
Former Staff

Re: Transfer terms reform

#16 » Post by Chasity » 12 Mar 2015 11:32

Blizzard implemented the future to purchase character lv X-10 in WoD, not in wotlk. I'm against giving characters even if they are level 10. The reason why people choose TW is because is the most Bliizlike wotlk server at this moment. And I do not see why we should change this for 25 players who even may not like it and decide to not stay here.
"and rly ... Location -- IKEAland .. you re rly pissed of by guy who is from IKEA :D"

Nyeriah

#17 » Post by Nyeriah » 12 Mar 2015 14:50

This is all pretty and nice to fable over but in practice it will never actually work.

Let's consider some facts;

It takes you about 3 days of real life time to level from 1 to 60 if you're engaged into it. About a day of play time. However, while leveling you get quests complete, reputation, achievements, pets, mounts, items and may level your profession (not everyone does that, but anyway...) and over everything you get to know the community and the server you're playing. If for some reason you don't like the server while leveling you'll just go and find some other place.

Now let's suppose we have such transfer offer in place. No quests, reputations, professions, achievements, items or whatever will be transferred. The player will have to work all that out on his own when the transfer is complete. Sure we'll give them some gold and a basic starting gear but that's about it. If they don't like the server at this point, heh, well, too bad for them as we'll still delete characters. That is not questionable and we will not change that.

There are few conflicting points as well. Firstly, as said previously, leveling from 1 to 60 takes 3 days at 1x but about 6 hours at 5x so it will really never be consistent. But lets assume taking levels from them will compensate that. Secondly, since quests won't be transferred they'll also benefit from some free experience which will again make it easier for them to level. Let's also hope people won't level characters on these servers to farm transfer gold too (as ridiculous as it may sound people did that on gc).

As you see, it's not such a great deal for either side. And I assure you if we get 30 requests from these it'll already be a lot.

marko1984

#18 » Post by marko1984 » 12 Mar 2015 15:19

I actually dont believe that anyone who playes on high rate servers would stick around 1x server too long... those are mostly impatient ppl who like to get stuff easy way instead of working for it...
IMO it would probably be a waste of time for our devs/GMs to work too much on a new transfer tool for maybe a few ppl who would actually accept it
And in the end i highly doubt that ppl who want transfer would aggree to get a new char instead of keeping their own
Three mages!

SyntaxError
Former Staff

#19 » Post by SyntaxError » 13 Mar 2015 12:14

marko1984 wrote:I actually dont believe that anyone who playes on high rate servers would stick around 1x server too long... those are mostly impatient ppl who like to get stuff easy way instead of working for it...
IMO it would probably be a waste of time for our devs/GMs to work too much on a new transfer tool for maybe a few ppl who would actually accept it
And in the end i highly doubt that ppl who want transfer would aggree to get a new char instead of keeping their own
This :arrowu:
and:
<opinion>Don't you dare suggest adding more "conditions" that would need to be checked by people who do transfers. Personally I don't touch them because even changing my realmlist 9999999.99 times is too annoying to bother with, now look at someone who does do that, then they still need to log on (loadingscreen wohoo, not everyone has 50 core CPU) and check all these things, hunt down the facts - something that can siphon away hours if you do more than say... two transfers. (not to mention make sure that it is the right character being transferred and stuff, if you end up deleting the wrong one guess who gets the blame?) And then capturing all the character data in the cache... it's just a nightmare.

Lets not get started on all the post-transfer crap that needs to be dealt with (wohoo, tickets!)

Personally I prefer quality over quantity, and as things are we have the best means to balance those. As soon as transfers become less greedy-retard proof we'll end up chasing away quality (you know, players that care enough to stick around for more than a week).</opinion>
Eisenlicht - Eisenfaust - Shai - Eisenblitz - SyntaxError - Revan - Nugget - Eisen - Necriss - Heka
I SHALL RIDE ETERNAL, SHINY AND CHROME!

Roel
Founder

#20 » Post by Roel » 16 Apr 2015 00:30

Last month I wasn't expecting that I would be implementing this suggestion but here we are. And I was right that it would be a lot of work to do it properly, it easily consumed 50+ hours although that might be counting some of the time spent on the Omega transfers. But I can safely say that most of the mentioned concerns have been tackled. These transfers will be worse off than our traditional 1:1 transfers, just look at how many Omega transfers are disappointed with what they lost, yet a good number of them continue playing here. I would like to mention that there are also people who actively spend 50+ days /played on a character at high rate servers, people who already leveled so many characters that they simply don't want to start all over on TW. But if given the option to start at 80, they might just become your most valuable asset in raids.

Some of you will still think they don't deserve that 80 because they spent most of their time doing dungeons and raids instead of leveling on the other server. But we need to make some trade-offs for our population. It might not be a problem yet but this will help to maintain a decent population for a longer period of time.

I will be moving this suggestion to Accepted so if you want to say anything about it, post it at: http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=15088