[Accepted] Revamping and improving vote system

alphamike
Donor

[Accepted] Revamping and improving vote system

#1 » Post by alphamike » 18 Sep 2014 17:20

Hi guys,

If you can't already tell, I am new to TrueWoW and even newer to the forums since I'm never on here. So far I'm loving the server, it's not the biggest but it allows for a tighter community and frequent interactions with GMs which is always nice.

The new revamped theme is beautiful. This post however is regarding the voting system. I used to play WoW, quit and a few years later decided to play private servers cause I didn't want to pay, I was then introduced to numerous vote systems. With no intention to advertising other private servers but merely mentioning them for examples, Molten and Dalaran WoW have some pretty neat voting systems. Molten, has a nice voting system but the cheap vote shop items make it a bit too easy to get stuff and throws the game off balance a bit. The pricing of Vote Shop items are well and even like Dalaran and it avoids having someone just deck out and get OP.

However, the system of having to click back on TrueWoW is a bit of a nuisance. Something I can live with, but definitely will like to live without. I know the main idea of having a lot of vote links is to promote the server to attract more players. However, can there be an improvement to the system where you don't have to click back to the website for the vote to count? I understand this will take a lot of resources, namely time to perform the update but it would be a much needed one.

Apart from that, The click back to site method have me unable to vote on OpenWoW because TrueWoW is a few pages back and doesn't track my votes. World of Warcraft Private Servers Top 200, 4th on the list also shows me a "Unable to select requested database." error. Shouldn't the links be constantly monitored?

I know it sounds complainy and stuff but just a thought maybe an update to the voting system would be great.

Etro
Honorary Member

Re: Revamping and improving vote system

#2 » Post by Etro » 18 Sep 2014 19:10

alphamike wrote:(...) The new revamped theme is beautiful. (...)
Thank you :D

I agree with what you said and I'd like to add 1 more thing for the staff to consider:

Reduce the voting sites to 3, and with 3, I mean those that appear in the first page of Google when searching for "wow private server". I don't think that when someone is looking for a private server, they go like: "Hmmm, this site isn't good enough. I need a site that is less popular and with less private servers! Lets go beyond the 1st page of Google! It might be interesting!"

10 voting sites is too much, too unnecessary and too useless. If anything, only add sites to worry about and to complain when they are not working. It would also make voting so much less of the hassle it is now.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

Nyeriah

#3 » Post by Nyeriah » 19 Sep 2014 07:34

The clicking on the banner hack is in place to make it functional as otherwise such websites provide no callback and we can never tell when has someone voted or not so sadly that cannot be changed unless such sites start providing the callback service at some point, but it's not very likely.

About reducing the number of websites, I haven't really seen any private server with less than 5 voting sites. This is something we've discussed in the past week as well and as it seems we have concluded that we don't really have any profit from dismissing voting sites. Little traffic is still better than no traffic. Only case where we'd be favorable to such is when they're broken for good.

alphamike
Donor

#4 » Post by alphamike » 19 Sep 2014 10:53

Nyeriah wrote:The clicking on the banner hack is in place to make it functional as otherwise such websites provide no callback and we can never tell when has someone voted or not so sadly that cannot be changed unless such sites start providing the callback service at some point, but it's not very likely.
What about how Dalaran did it? I mean I don't know a whole lot on web development and stuff but they seem to got it to work? Somehow?
Nyeriah wrote:About reducing the number of websites, I haven't really seen any private server with less than 5 voting sites.
The two servers I previously tried and abandoned :lol: both had less than 5 voting sites. Like 4, of the most popular ones. Kinda agree with Etro on that. If really the click back is necessary, slightly less would be nice.

AGAIN, I suppose I can get past this voting things but improvements is always good right?

Etro
Honorary Member

#5 » Post by Etro » 21 Sep 2014 05:17

Nyeriah wrote:About reducing the number of websites, I haven't really seen any private server with less than 5 voting sites. This is something we've discussed in the past week as well and as it seems we have concluded that we don't really have any profit from dismissing voting sites. Little traffic is still better than no traffic. Only case where we'd be favorable to such is when they're broken for good.
There's no profit in having voting sites which traffic is made by those servers that make their community vote in them thinking people looking for servers actually go to those sites. The profit in getting rid of those sites is to make the voting process a lot smoother.

Having the voting sites with the most traffic + smooth voting process > Having the voting sites with the most traffic + having the voting sites with useless traffic + resetting your IP multiple times to achieve 20 votes a day.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

Arraj

#6 » Post by Arraj » 02 Nov 2014 11:52

Bumping this mostly because I'm not happy with current voting "mechanics". Just finished my voting and got redirected to some Lineage2 private server, had to type CORRECT captha several times to make server get a point from me and voted properly and still haven't got a point for it. I finished with 8/10

Reduce the voting sites to 3, and with 3, I mean those that appear in the first page of Google when searching for "wow private server". I don't think that when someone is looking for a private server, they go like: "Hmmm, this site isn't good enough. I need a site that is less popular and with less private servers! Lets go beyond the 1st page of Google! It might be interesting!"

Etro has my 100% support on this. 3 sites could be low number, I'd personally stick with 5 well organized and popular voting sites. I'm sure that pretty much all population we have comes from Xtreamtop100, Gtop100, Gtop.org, openwow.com, top100world of warcraft.
Also I'm sure our population wont suffer from having less voting sites especially now when dodgykebab gave us such high rates ( /clap to staff, I'm proud of you) We are witnesses of players already coming on TW cuz of his videos.
Word of mouth is best marketing, and I'm sure having 10 voting sites with 2(3) of them not working is not helping to get that word of mouth going.

Less voting sites could mean less expenses and Roel could use the money on other stuff.
Sheena of the Warsong Clan

Bored with 80lv content? Check out my level 19 character guide.
New to server and need some cash? Check this out and make some easy gold

Roel
Founder

#7 » Post by Roel » 02 Nov 2014 12:27

Removing some of the bad vote sites will be on my TODO list, I agree 5 is a better number because WoW private servers are less popular than they were 4 years ago.

Arraj

#8 » Post by Arraj » 02 Nov 2014 12:37

Roel wrote:Removing some of the bad vote sites will be on my TODO list, I agree 5 is a better number because WoW private servers are less popular than they were 4 years ago.

Great...thanks. Ofc dont forget to scale the prices with the amount of vote points available ^_^

Roel
Founder

#9 » Post by Roel » 02 Nov 2014 12:42

Arraj wrote:Great...thanks. Ofc dont forget to scale the prices with the amount of vote points available ^_^
Of course, 20 points per day should be maintained.

Arraj

#10 » Post by Arraj » 02 Nov 2014 19:14

Roel wrote:
Arraj wrote:Great...thanks. Ofc dont forget to scale the prices with the amount of vote points available ^_^
Of course, 20 points per day should be maintained.
Call me "dumb" but... 5 voting sites, 2 times per day....

How can we get 20 vote points from 5 sites with voting once every 12h... that would make 10 points meaning that prices on shop should go 50% down.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I really dont understand the idea of 20vps with 5 sites....

EDIT: 2 points per voting site?

Blacklustersoldier
Honorary Member

#11 » Post by Blacklustersoldier » 02 Nov 2014 19:37

I'd rather see prices drop to half, and get one vote point per site, instead of 2... seems far easier imo
RETIRED
Contact info:
[hide]Skype: bone.link90
Battle tag EU: bonelink90#2702
E-mail: bone.link90@yahoo.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mihai.Udrescu90
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198138722978/[/hide]
Char list:
[hide]Blackluster
Katra
Mystral
Sepinia
Shanira
Stasher
Lightluster
Soreya
Dastan
Xeria
Runya[/hide]

Roel
Founder

#12 » Post by Roel » 02 Nov 2014 19:45

2 points per vote site with 5 sites which basically means that nothing changes, but less work for you to vote. Dropping prices to half would give a huge advantage to those who saved up on vote sites and rewards from donations would also need to be changed.

Blacklustersoldier
Honorary Member

#13 » Post by Blacklustersoldier » 02 Nov 2014 20:55

ah,fair enough, didn't think of it from that perspective
RETIRED
Contact info:
[hide]Skype: bone.link90
Battle tag EU: bonelink90#2702
E-mail: bone.link90@yahoo.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mihai.Udrescu90
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198138722978/[/hide]
Char list:
[hide]Blackluster
Katra
Mystral
Sepinia
Shanira
Stasher
Lightluster
Soreya
Dastan
Xeria
Runya[/hide]

Arraj

#14 » Post by Arraj » 02 Nov 2014 21:12

Blacklustersoldier wrote:ah,fair enough, didn't think of it from that perspective
Yep, +1 from me. Fair enough. Can't wait to see it happen.

EDIT: 6/10 c'mooonn

Etro
Honorary Member

#15 » Post by Etro » 02 Nov 2014 22:11

5 is much better than 10, yes. I'm glad that the essence of my idea got accepted =D