Question about a rule

Felnight

Question about a rule

#1 » Post by Felnight » 10 Mar 2011 03:31

Multi boxing is forbidden. You should not use any programs to control multiple characters at once. You are allowed to use 2 characters at once by switching to the other window each time you want to control it.

Ok, I understand this rule. Except one part. If you are allowed to have 2 accounts/characters running from one machine by alt/tabbing between games. Why is it not allowed to run 2 computers with 1 character each...still have to switch between characters.

Obviously it would be player controlled on both computers.
Reason I ask, is i have an extra comp, even when me and my wife are playing. And if possible Id like to put it to use. I dont mind alt-tabbing when i decide to do 2 characters at once, my pc can handle it. Not to mention I have multi- monitor support.

Just for clarification, I have not dual-boxed anything or even run 2 accounts as of this post. And dont plan on it, until i get clarity on this.

Kraith
Former Staff

Re: Question about a rule

#2 » Post by Kraith » 10 Mar 2011 03:58

The rule is against using multiboxing software that allows you to control 2 characters at the same time. Using two computers, and manually switching between each one is fine. What is not fine is using software, for example, that moves 2+ characters at the same time, makes them attack at the same time etc.

From your description, what you're asking about is fine. As long as you don't control 2+ characters with 1 set of inputs you're fine. Thank you for asking and trying to follow the rules. :)
Kraith - RIP Maelstrom - 80 Troll Huntard
Retired GM, Inactive from game/forum

Felnight

#3 » Post by Felnight » 10 Mar 2011 04:14

Ok thank you.
Yes that was exactly what i was asking.
2 computers, 2 characters, 1 person swinging left and right in comp chair between 2 keyboards.

Thanks for quick response.

giveandtake

#4 » Post by giveandtake » 04 Apr 2011 09:41

I have to say that reading this is a bit disappointing. I've been a multiboxer, although not exclusively, for quite some time on retail and I'm well aware of all the rules with it.

Using a third party software or hardware keyboard multiplexer is not only fine with blizz, they actively work on it with every patch to make it more feasable.
There are rules regarding automation, but that applies to everyone. One hardware button press, per software keystroke, press per client is the rule. You can't have a program that does a timed series of actions. Some gaming keyboards can do this and it's equally a violation of the rules.

I could point you to links all day backing me up on this point. Here are just two...
http://www.wowwiki.com/Multiboxing
http://multiboxing.com/forums/f38/gm-qu ... -3778.html

The client is loaded with functions targetted and focused (pun intended) at helping make multiboxing feasable while staying within the TOS. In 3.1 they added the keybinding "Interract with Target" and allowed it to work in tandem with "right click to move" in order to make multiboxing with melee toons possible. Every client upgrade they do caters to multiboxing and blizz activelly balances the game with it in mind.

Of course you guys are a private server and you can do whatever you want, whenever you want, for whatever reason you want.

I guess my disappointment is because you guys should not be advertising yourselves as a 'Blizzlike' server if you're just going to make huge and arbitrary changes to how the original creators envisioned and designed World of Warcraft.

Marind

#5 » Post by Marind » 04 Apr 2011 13:34

I don't think that blizz said 'and this game will be an mmo that you use third party stuff to control multiple people, that's our core reasoning for making this, third party platforming.'

OkweL

#6 » Post by OkweL » 04 Apr 2011 13:48

It is fine with Blizz because you pay real cash for each account you own. Here you don't.

I think if you want to complain about so stupid issue which would be not blizzlike then I will be happy if you move back to retail. Pay for another 10 accounts, keep Blizzard earnings high, and this way keep them away from pservers.

giveandtake

#7 » Post by giveandtake » 04 Apr 2011 17:42

OkweL wrote:It is fine with Blizz because you pay real cash for each account you own. Here you don't.
I can find four examples immediately of Blizzard employees answering this exactly. They have said over and over that money has nothing to do with why they designed WoW to support multiboxing. I'll put the direct links to blizzards official statement here because I don't feel as comfortable as you seem to be in speaking on blizzard's behalf:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 53&sid=1#9....
Multiboxers provide Blizzard with a significant amount of extra income, and that,
and only that, is the reason why is it currently allowed.
True/false?
Patently false. All accounts should be allowed to be played as they see fit provided that they're playing within our policies. In cases of mulitboxing, all accounts involved are playing the same as any other account, only simultaneously." -Belfaire, Blizzard Poster
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... ageNo=2#28
Verdict from Blizzard: Keep the cash coming in and you can multi-box with up up to 200 characters!

Just don't buy any gold from any 3rd party vendors because well... we didn't get our cut. Just like
like everything else in life that is illegal when the Govt. doesn't get their cut.

We don't care about fairness. I'm so disappointed... What did Saddam Hussein do to his people that
Blizzard hasn't done to their own? Hint: That would be us the customer.
"This is really tired rhetoric. One person with five account is the same as five people with one account. There's no difference in our eyes and it has no effect on the game economy. Buying gold does." - Belfaire, Blizzard Poster

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... ageNo=2#38
It's not "just fine;" it's "perfectly legal." There's a difference. Just because it's perfectly legal
to buy an advantage over other players doesn't mean it's fine. It means you're ruling in favor of people
who pay you extra money.
"Not really. I meant exactly what I said.

You are correct in that it does not violate our policies. You are incorrect in that we are ruling in favor of it because it enhances our income.

Let's be logical about that for a moment; if we really made rulings based purely on potential income, we would have allowed PvE to PvP transfers as soon as the transfer system became available. We did not do so for a variety of reasons. (Though, if you feel that they should be allowed, then you may post on the Suggestion forum to that effect).

The only way 'income' factors into our decisions is obliquely. Our first concern is "Is this bad for World of Warcraft?". Multi-boxing has proven to be a rare, and relatively easily countered practice. While it has its advantages, it has huge vulnerabilities as well, and most players engage in the practice for the challenges it offers, not for any kind of 'easy' victory. For example, a single determined rogue, or any class with fear, can actually completely destroy a multi-boxer's effectiveness." - Malkorix, Blizzard Poster
Here is an in-game screenshot of a GM himself talking about 3-boxing. There are many other references to blizzard employees multiboxing on their offtime too. Employees multiboxing does not make Blizzard more money.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj12 ... answer.jpg

Multiboxing has been around and supported so stradfastly for long enough that I could find Official quotes from the creators of the game that shoot down any argument against it.

Here are the main reasons why Blizzard has allowed Multiboxing and designed the client to do it:
"For some players there is not enough challenge in playing only one character at a time."
"Others look to recreate the feel of old time Computer Role Playing Games where a well designed team was used to adventure together. "
"There are also some who don't want to rely on others to play the game when one character is not enough."

Again, you guys are totally free to do whatever you want, but you will never be able to honestly call yourselves 'Blizzlike' if you just going to invent reasons why you're going to ban some of the original creators design goals just because you don't like them.

Vaati
Banned

#8 » Post by Vaati » 05 Apr 2011 02:35

The rules on the Blizzard servers are different than the rules here. Do not compare their rules to ours. The gameplay is designed to be "Blizzlike" but the rules are not. We are NOT a clone of Blizzard nor will we try to be. The rules set forth by this server are to be followed and will vary from those that Blizzard has put in place. Arguing them by comparing them to Blizzard will not help your case. The rules will remain untouched despite arguments from players.
Biscuit - Level 80 Arms/Fury Warrior (Horde)
Bisquick - Level 80 Feral Druid (Formerly Narcissa's) (Horde)
Bisquit - Level 80 Elemental/Resto Shaman (Horde)
Biscadin - Level 80 Retribution/Holy Paladin (Horde)
Bisclock - Level 80 Affliction Warlock (Ally)
Bisc - Level 80 Shadow Priest (Ally)
Biscation - Level 80 Retribution/Holy Paladin (Ally)
Formerly known as Patregis - Undead Rogue
Roel wrote:What's wrong with your brains?

OkweL

#9 » Post by OkweL » 05 Apr 2011 05:19

@giveandtake
I didn't even read what you quoted, just skipped your post. Reason why is simple. What would you expect? That an employee will say that they do that for money directly? They are company but they can't confirm obvious things. At least I wouldn't do that. Anyways @Vaati got a point also with his comment above. Blizzlike means in general all aspects of the game to keep as much retail-like as possible. Not additional services like name changing, moving from realm to realm etc. By blizzlike here, you are getting untouched world, you can be sure about rates, NPCs and monsters behaviour, quests rewards and other things that affect gameplay. All other things that Blizz provides can be added but it's not a must to give retail-like enviroment to play for free.