FPS drops drastically overnight [SOLVED]

chickenbutt
Donor

FPS drops drastically overnight [SOLVED]

#1 » Post by chickenbutt » 08 Sep 2012 22:12

Hi. Ever since I got this computer, I've been running WoW on ultra graphics at stable 60 FPS. Though this morning when I opened WoW, I found myself running at 15 FPS with extremely choppy camera movement. I freaked out and instantly and started looking for reasons why this happened, and a solution.
I updated all my software (only Java as far as I'm aware), restarted my computer and opened WoW. Still 15-20 FPS. I then deleted everything in my World of Warcraft folder, and everything WoW related on my HDD (except my WTF and Interface folders, I moved those to a separate folder) and started looking for a client. I found links for a WotLK client and all the patches from 3.2.0-3.3.5a and started downloading (I had done this once before). Once I had installed and patched up to 3.3.5a, I placed my WTF and Interface folders back where they belonged, and opened WoW. I logged in to find myself in the exact same situation. 15 FPS, extremely choppy camera.

None of my friends have a clue what to do, so I turn to the TrueWoW forums for help, since Tia has been very helpful in the past, I thought I might receive some more healthy feedback on what the heck is going on. I'm typically very poor with things involving hardware and software, so take it easy on me if I get something wrong and I hope you can interpret most everything below. Copy pasta time!

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2,93 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B01
SMC Version (system): 1.59f2
Serial Number (system): CK1020UYDNR
Hardware UUID: 4ED613F7-C781-5788-B249-769EE879B09A

Graphics/Displays

ATI Radeon HD 5750:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5750
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x68a1
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B9710C-238
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.417
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

(If any of ^that even matters, that is)
Last edited by chickenbutt on 09 Sep 2012 01:49, edited 1 time in total.
:=) My Mini Enhancement Shaman PvE Guide

https://soundcloud.com/open_minded_97/fullat - a punk song I wrote and produced with a friend from music community college in 2019

narcissa

Re: FPS drops drastically overnight

#2 » Post by narcissa » 08 Sep 2012 22:18

As a total noob and in no way computer expert, my suggestion would be to completely remove your graphic card drivers and reinstall them. You can give it a try until someone with a more valuable opinion steps in.

I had the same problem btw, but can't for the love of Eris remember what I did to fix it. I tried so many things I can't focus on what did the trick. Gosh I'm getting old.

chickenbutt
Donor

#3 » Post by chickenbutt » 08 Sep 2012 22:36

narcissa wrote:As a total noob and in no way computer expert, my suggestion would be to completely remove your graphic card drivers and reinstall them. You can give it a try until someone with a more valuable opinion steps in.
Was afraid someone was going to say that.
Thing is, I have absolutely no idea how to to that, lol.

https://soundcloud.com/open_minded_97/fullat - a punk song I wrote and produced with a friend from music community college in 2019

Tia

#4 » Post by Tia » 08 Sep 2012 22:50

I suggest reading this article. Try the solutions listed there and if you need help with something, post here ;)

narcissa

#5 » Post by narcissa » 08 Sep 2012 23:07

Was about to say to get driver sweeper to be sure everything gets removed completely but I then realised you're on a mac. I have absolute no knowledge since I never owned any :/

That being said, google is your friend :D So the steps on your platform should be something along the lines of
Press "Command + N" to open a new Finder window. Under Devices, on the left hand side of the window, click on "Macintosh HD." Click on "System," followed by "Library," and then "Extensions."

Scroll through the list of software until you find your driver. They will be labeled by your video card's model name.

Carefully delete the video card drivers from your system. Be sure not to accidentally delete any other files, as you could damage your system.
Be sure to have already downloaded your new drivers from the AMD website. After removing your drivers, reboot your computer and then reinstall.

PS. I made a quick search on the website to post the link for you to download the driver, but it seems like mac cards should be different, and that the one you have should be a Windows one. Probably it doesn't even matter and maybe choosing any Windows platform will do, but as I said I'm talking of things I haven't got enough knowledge of :|

EDIT: In Tia's link, the reinstalling section suggests a software that's the equivalent of driver sweeper I was talking about. http://support.apple.com/downloads/#combo%20update select your OS version and try it out.

chickenbutt
Donor

#6 » Post by chickenbutt » 08 Sep 2012 23:47

Greetings again. I tried the SMC thing in your link, Tia. And I think that's what fixed it. 60 FPS up and running, smooth camera movement, everything 100% PERFECT again. =)
Thank you so very much for your support and feedback, it's nice to see people care.