Account Recovery

Gojan

Account Recovery

#1 » Post by Gojan » 10 Oct 2019 18:45

I work in IT. People like me, posting posts like this are a bit of a pain, I find. So apologies in advance... and here we go...

I can log in to this forum without any problems ( obviously, perhaps, given this post.) ... and I use the same password here as I do for my username(s) to login to TRUEWOW... but...

Today, my password (to go in-game) isn't working. It worked fine in April 2016. Actually we had more than one username (/"account") and they all worked fine in 2016. I don't recall whether I've logged in since then. I thought I had, but maybe not.

You might think I've forgotten the password. (But) it's in a script (in a comment)... so I'm pretty sure I know what it was ( or is). And i use the same password here and it works fine.

And I concede: We shared accounts and machines so someone else could have changed the password(s). But they didn't - they haven't played since 2013 ( when we all played a lot more than we've done in recent times). And I used it for a couple of days at Easter 2016 when I was able to log in fine, and play just as you'd expect. We did a (tiny) little bit of testing on the Noble Garden quest.

Today, after failing to login, I tried to effect a password reset/change in account-manager but it says "old password incorrect". At least that's consistent ( which is good).

Also, I tried to use "forgot password" to send an email but I don't remember the email addresses from 6 or 7 years ago to match the username(s).
The account-manager lists some of the usernames and the armoury contains some of the characters ( at least those that I can remember and could check - helped by a spreadsheet that we kept that lists most of our character names). So the characters have not been obliterated ( even after 7 years or so - Thank You Truewow ! )

You might think I had the wrong realmlist.wtf contents but I checked that very carefully and after several failed login attempts my IP was blocked and I opted to reset it from the account-manager page ... so I'm pretty sure the realmlist is correct and I'm connecting to TRUEWOW ( still the best private server in the world... !)

Thanks for reading this far. (You've proven your patience.) I'm hopeful you can point me in the right direction without having to do much else because, for an Admin, "fix the idiot's password" has gotta be the worst of all starting zone quests.

Thanks
./G
Vote ! ( http://www.truewow.org/vote) Make a difference.

Axis
Senior Game Master

Re: How to Connect to Our Server

#2 » Post by Axis » 10 Oct 2019 20:20

Gojan wrote:
I've reset your failed login counts.
Log on to the account manager and send yourself a new password for the accounts in question.
Use the password contained in the email as the "old" password and set a new password for your game account.
It may take you 10-15 attempts to receive the email since it tends to get blocked by most email domains.

Regards.
ImageImageImage
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing.” - Edmund Burke.

Gojan

#3 » Post by Gojan » 13 Oct 2019 14:40

Thanks Axis.

Apologies for the bad news that follows.

I tried to email myself a new password as you suggested but it doesn't accept my email address. The page consistently responds with:
Such combination of e-mail and username doesn't exist

I tried each of the usernames in the linked accounts and a few of my email addresses. I was careful with the typing of the usernames because they are free format in that field - there's no dropdown menu. ( On that point: I'm not complaining at all but I'm wondering why there's a dropdown menu of valid usernames for "change password" but not for "reset password". I presume there could be. Or am I missing an important point? ).

Anyway, I was careful to ensure that the email addresses that I tried were spelled correctly (and certainly exist ) and the usernames are those on the "linked accounts" list.
A couple of other other accounts that we used in 2013 ( not on the list of "linked accounts") are working fine. ( Which is pretty impressive after all this time - Well Done Guys - Nice work).

So I couldn't reach the stage of emailing myself a password for any of the accounts. Are you able to help me a little further, please?
./G
Vote ! ( http://www.truewow.org/vote) Make a difference.

Axis
Senior Game Master

#4 » Post by Axis » 13 Oct 2019 16:35

Gojan wrote:
Responded via PM.
ImageImageImage
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing.” - Edmund Burke.

IronSharona
Former Staff

Re: Account Recovery

#5 » Post by IronSharona » 23 Oct 2019 17:46

It's been over a week since the last update. Is there anything else we can help with or shall we mark this resolved for you, Gojan?
Welcome to the new decade! Let's hope the Roaring 20's come with just as much jazz, but a bit less prohibition and Great Depression. 8-)

Axis
Senior Game Master

#6 » Post by Axis » 26 Oct 2019 02:16

Gojan wrote:
Do you require further assistance?
ImageImageImage

Axis
Senior Game Master

#7 » Post by Axis » 28 Oct 2019 00:12

Locked and archived due to no response.
Please create a new thread in case further assistance is required.
ImageImageImage