Anoth is muting me with no reason

kinematografi

Anoth is muting me with no reason

#1 » Post by kinematografi » 02 Apr 2011 17:33

1. This morning he muted me because I wrote 'no shit'. Yeah, okay - you're not supposed to use bad langague but I would class that as an okay idiom. Because it's not me making the rules I accept it being wrong, but I should at least have been given a warning since it was such a little mistake. It's not like it's the worst language being used in world.

2. This is the really bad thing. I wrote in world that we were only 3 horde in WSG and one was lvl 10 as in 'lol we're going to lose' and he banned me for 'using the wrong channel'. I wasn't looking for a group and I wasn't asking for help. I was making a general remark, and again no warning. About a minute later someone writes 'no shit' as a remark to something else, but no ban of course.

I feel singled out and I think Anoth is abusing his role, because muting me isn't 'making order'. This has just been ridiculous, because I really enjoy using the chat.

And YEAH I'm a girl and it's okay for me to react this way. I'm seriously upset, because it makes playing on this server frustrating.

Revernance

Re: Anoth is muting me with no reason

#2 » Post by Revernance » 02 Apr 2011 17:42

Break the rules and you get punished, the initial mute for swearing is fine IMO, i wouldnt mute for the 2nd offence tho and i cannot comment on if the other guy/girl that swore was muted or not.

There is no need to swear tbh.

and anoth is only following the mod rules by muting, and not abusing in that sense

Anoth
Former Staff

#3 » Post by Anoth » 02 Apr 2011 18:16

When Ever Telling Some one To Join u in anything Which is Instance/BG In anycontext Lookingforgroup is to be used

OkweL

#4 » Post by OkweL » 02 Apr 2011 18:54

Anoth wrote:When Ever Telling Some one To Join u in anything Which is Instance/BG In anycontext Lookingforgroup is to be used
But people can sometimes use wrong channel by mistake... Just CHILL. This is ridiculous. Since 4 days, most of reported mutes are just not needed...

Anoth
Former Staff

#5 » Post by Anoth » 02 Apr 2011 19:26

Ok Sorry

Osyris

#6 » Post by Osyris » 02 Apr 2011 19:49

Anoth wrote:When Ever Telling Some one To Join u in anything Which is Instance/BG In anycontext Lookingforgroup is to be used
Looks like this guy is unable to compose a simple English paragraph, yet he is a "moderator", what has the world gotten into lately, I can only wonder.

OkweL

#7 » Post by OkweL » 02 Apr 2011 21:26

Osyris wrote:
Looks like this guy is unable to compose a simple English paragraph, yet he is a "moderator", what has the world gotten into lately, I can only wonder.
I could understand what he meant so?
Anoth wrote:When Ever Telling Some one To Join u, in anything, Which is Instance/BG, In anycontext, Lookingforgroup is to be used
Better now?

oOXColdmoonXOo

#8 » Post by oOXColdmoonXOo » 03 Apr 2011 00:11

I think a lot of people have forgotten that mutes are meant to be a last resort not the first course of action. I don't mute unless I have to and most of them are an hour or less typically less. Generally a polite please use _____ for that or even without the please is gonna be received a lot better than being hostile. Just keep in mind that you don't get something you aren't giving.

kinematografi

#9 » Post by kinematografi » 03 Apr 2011 00:26

Thanks for the feedback! The thing is that I really try to stick to the rules since I do care about the chat. That's why I got so upset.

And as a reply to Anoth - the remark about WSG wasn't to make people join, but to just simply make a remark that we were screwed. As the world chat is intended to do - discuss general topics. Like when I make a remark that I'm being corpse hunted for instance. That's not generally to get people to come to my rescue, but a way to ventilate my frustration.

It should be fun to play and to chat, and moderators should intervene but to maintain order and nothing else. I am all for the moderators work and believe that they create a pleasant environment. But a moderator should work for the common good.

DON'T BE A JACK-IN-OFFICE!

Woops, caps. Bad me!

Cover25

#10 » Post by Cover25 » 03 Apr 2011 02:28

oOXColdmoonXOo wrote:I think a lot of people have forgotten that mutes are meant to be a last resort not the first course of action. I don't mute unless I have to and most of them are an hour or less typically less. Generally a polite please use _____ for that or even without the please is gonna be received a lot better than being hostile. Just keep in mind that you don't get something you aren't giving.
Exactly, if someone trys to sell something in World i say "please use trading" i only mute if they do it more than twice. (3 strikes and your out type of deal) though General swearing, F Bombs S Bombs and C bombs are a insta mute and will not be tolerated. Warning for use of Wrong channel SHOULD be given no matter what.

Intervention
Former Staff

#11 » Post by Intervention » 03 Apr 2011 04:01

I literally just had this conversation on .gmn with Peithne and Chopper, and maybe others read it. I can name more than two moderators that use their mute command as a weapon of mass distraction rather than a peace keeper. Situations like this give the server a bad reputation and make staff look like 13 yr old's frolicking in Alice in Wonderland.

I know i am going to reiterate but i seriously feel i have to because so many mods just don't get this concept, so bare with me. Also like to point out, this is my opinion but i feel it can be a decent guideline.

Moderators,

Your mute command should be used if necessary to solve an ongoing problem, not to 'solve' something that can be fixed with a warning or a word of advice. The only reason you have to mute someone instantly without placing a warning on the table is:

a) Use of the F bomb, C bomb on a global channel - Those words are just NO
b) If the person is not a first time offender, nor a second time offender, but 3 or more times for the same thing at different times.
c) In common sense, if the situation is clearly mutable straight away, E.g. continuous spam and so on.

@Anoth
I know you have not been a moderator for a long time so mistakes are made, we are all human. But, like most moderators, you have to stop thinking 'mute mute mute' and think 'reason, logic, understanding, mute'.
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

Marind

#12 » Post by Marind » 03 Apr 2011 06:06

Intervention wrote: b) If the person is not a first time offender, nor a second time offender, but 3 or more times for the same thing at different times.
Actually...*proof* sometimes it is wrong, I may be a like...30th time offender the next time I do anything, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't still be warned if they know I sincerely let something slip ala yesterday.

Intervention
Former Staff

#13 » Post by Intervention » 03 Apr 2011 06:27

Let's put your statement into real life context and then you can tell me if your or my argument is just.

A man walks into a bank, robs it, walks out and gets caught. He goes to jail. He gets released, he does it again, and again, and again and after each occurrence he gets placed in jail. He promises to fix up his act and actually uses the bank properly a couple of times but then once again, he robs it. Should i warn him and forget that he robbed it a heap of times and then acted good for a tiny bit or put his ass back into Jail seems he obviously isn't learning from his previous lessons???

Let's put it into TrueWoW context. How many times did we have to mute Universe and ban Universe, how many chances did he have? Then he tried to act in a fair manner and failed. You can only be told so many times and then you just have to slam the pedal down.

I'm not going to continue this discussion beyond this anyway. My previous post is on topic and should be taken into consideration, along with Peithne's, Coldmoon and OkweL's posts.
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

Marind

#14 » Post by Marind » 03 Apr 2011 06:59

Well I just don't want the whole 'see you never change' thing to happen. With me it's more like a murder that keeps murdering then one day he's fine, then he drops a knife and it knicks a guy's leg and he gets arrested for attempted murder.

oOXColdmoonXOo

#15 » Post by oOXColdmoonXOo » 03 Apr 2011 07:56

Moral of the story. Just stay away from knives.