My Account got hacked named Shadowmage

Blackberry

My Account got hacked named Shadowmage

#1 » Post by Blackberry » 27 Mar 2011 11:06

Hello,

My name is Shadowmage '' Eastpak.

My account got hacked yesterday.
There was an guy Turalyon en 5800 gs Holy Paladin. who was asking me the whole day to trade My Shadowmage lvl 80 Mage 4.6 GS. I told him that i wont trade.

when i came back from an birthday party and wanted to log in, The information wasnt valid. With other words.. My account got hacked.

Several GM's are trying to gather some information about my account. And i'm wondering what i can do now to help. because i really want my account back.

Thank you.
Grtz
Old Shadowmage

Roel
Founder

Re: My Account got hacked named Shadowmage

#2 » Post by Roel » 27 Mar 2011 11:45

Accounts don't get hacked, he got hold of your password somehow.

Blackberry

#3 » Post by Blackberry » 27 Mar 2011 11:50

Lol dont tell me that i gave my password or something like that.

Ive done nothing wrong.. and im not able to log in anymore, Thats called hacking..
So yes, i am hacked.

OkweL

#4 » Post by OkweL » 27 Mar 2011 11:58

http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2759

You can skip page 1 in that linked topic as my reply is on the 2nd page.
Any Mod/GM that spend his/her time on this case or similiar in the future is wasting time.
Closed.

Roel
Founder

#5 » Post by Roel » 27 Mar 2011 12:10

wait a sec. I just got a PM from some other 80 with the same thing and both IPs redirect to Ugaro's brother what I heard. I have reset the passwords and mailed them to the original people cause they had the same IP as the register IP of the acocunts. Blackberry told me he had a long password which isn't possible to crack with anything like brute force so I suspect keyloggers. Anyway I didn't concentrate on 'hacking' so far so maybe I am wrong.

OkweL

#6 » Post by OkweL » 27 Mar 2011 14:58

Here you can check how strong your password is.

http://www.passwordmeter.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brute_force_attack
Plus some quote from polish wiki:
key size is 32bits and 1 try to break takes 0,000001 sec gives:

Code: Select all

2^{31} 10^{-6} s \approx 2147 s \approx 36 m, a bit longer than half hour
If the key is 48 bits and are using 1000 computers, each of which can execute one million samples per second, a time of breaking is:

2^{47} 10^{-3} 10^{-6} s \approx 39 h, day and a half
If the key is 56bits and rest like above:

2^{55} 10^{-3} 10^{-6} s \approx 416 days
Breaking the 128-bit encryption on a million computers, each able to take to perform one billion samples per second would take:

2^{127} 10^{-6} 10^{-9} s \approx 11 billion years
or nearly the life of the universe (which is less than 14 billion years).
So it's only matter of resources and time. However passwords here are not crypted so hard (those hardest encryption is used by banks etc).

But mainly yeah, I agree it is probably due to keyloggers. And that leads again to -> being STUPID. I would never waste time on that.

Roel
Founder

#7 » Post by Roel » 27 Mar 2011 15:44

It's funny to know that it will take a billion of years to brute force the root password of the server on one million computers than can perform one billion samples per second.

OkweL

#8 » Post by OkweL » 27 Mar 2011 18:56

Hehe, good to know ;)
If database has also such strong password then I think we're done with the "hackers" here ;)

MagicInTheAir

#9 » Post by MagicInTheAir » 27 Mar 2011 19:26

Blackberry wrote:Hello,

My name is Shadowmage '' Eastpak.

My account got hacked yesterday.
There was an guy Turalyon en 5800 gs Holy Paladin. who was asking me the whole day to trade My Shadowmage lvl 80 Mage 4.6 GS. I told him that i wont trade.

when i came back from an birthday party and wanted to log in, The information wasnt valid. With other words.. My account got hacked.

Several GM's are trying to gather some information about my account. And i'm wondering what i can do now to help. because i really want my account back.

Thank you.
Grtz

Old Shadowmage

Hahaha i've seen that in other way when i asked in world to trade my pala for mage and u answeared.
I spammed u whole day? U told me u don't want trade?U agreed on trade after first 5 mins and that gladly and i'm rly sorry that i didn't screen the part when u gave my ur acc name and pass.(i'll ask matsy if he has seen us cuz he arrived just at that part and i think he has seen part of the chat mybe) If u don't belive me ,ask Ugaro he has seen it too .(i know it doesn't mean much to u but worth saying xD) :) BUt anyway, just wanted to tell u u'll a loser shadowmage xD. Tryed to cheat me that way.Use the gathered info of my acc and then get ur acc back with this, rly pathetic.RLy fair trade.
And one more thing, Roel the IP's match cuz Vodkalock was Ugaro's lock for short time.And we have same IP. Last week he traded him for a priest. Now the new owner lost the lock. Anyway i just wanted to say all that and i'm not gonna bother with this anymore BUT for God's Sake shadowmage stop spamming me in game cuz i'll ignore any single of ur chars u make. Comments like "haha got ya" and "i'm better" don't interest me, not even a bit....Just go on and leave me in peace : /
Tura - lvl 80 paladin
Miarg - lvl 80 death knight
Hael - lvl 80 mage
Alesa- lvl 80 priest
G I N K G O! <3
"Never underestimate true leadership"

Roel
Founder

#10 » Post by Roel » 27 Mar 2011 20:11

I got PMs from like 5 different people about 2 accounts and I am tired of it. From now on I won't help anyone who got "hacked" cause it's your password is your own responsibility oh and did I already say that account trading is by no means supported.

OkweL just to calm you even more, the database doesn't have such a strong password which I am probably gonna change but the database is bound to localhost and my home IP so nobody can access it. Unless they can login to the root server user or from my home which has a different password on the router and my own PC which both take that time to brute force.

My game accounts are bound to IP but seeing you can login at the website from any IP I have changed my password cause you convinced me that my old password was possible to brute force in only two weeks.

I think everyone should use passwords of at least 8 characters. Also try to use numbers and special characters like !@#$%^&*()<>?,.;':"[][{}-=|\`~ and if you such a 15 character password each day you won't forget it.

Sorry for the off-topic.

Cover25

#11 » Post by Cover25 » 27 Mar 2011 21:38

To avoid getting "hacked" again Just use this command (bad if you dont play at the same IP each day.)

account lock

Level : 0 (Player)
Syntax: .account lock [on|off]

Allow login from account only from current used IP or remove this requirement.

OkweL

#12 » Post by OkweL » 27 Mar 2011 23:55

For NORMAL user, this command may bring more problems than anything. Just use strong passwords...

Cover25

#13 » Post by Cover25 » 28 Mar 2011 13:37

OkweL wrote:For NORMAL user, this command may bring more problems than anything. Just use strong passwords...
true, always a option though.