Some Basics on Group (and Game) Etiquette

Newcomers of all levels are welcomed with their questions. There are always helpful and knowledgeable people ready to share some of their wisdom.
Stavromoon

Some Basics on Group (and Game) Etiquette

#1 » Post by Stavromoon » 07 Nov 2017 23:38

Knowing that we are going through some challenges with server population, perhaps it is time to review some basic "do's and don'ts" when playing the game ...

1: Please remember it is a GAME. There is no reason to chew someone out, get angry or for God's sake, cheat.

2: Respect your fellow players. A few subtopics here:
a: Unless you have given permission, it is never acceptable to "teach" someone how to play their character
b: Unless you establish it beforehand, it is also not acceptable to change the loot rules so you can need something off-spec. Discussion here: Blizzard thought this was a good idea so they instituted a loot system for RDF where you can only need on items that fit your spec. This means that plate and leather wearers must get permission beforehand, before being allowed to roll on cloth items (for example.) Changing that back invites ire from the other members of your group.
c: Decide at the beginning on NEED or GREED for group wide items, such as Primal Nether, etc.
d: Do not, I repeat DO NOT discuss another player's techniques or abilities without his or her permission!

3: Communication is everything! Running and gunning might sound like fun but don't blame the healer if they are back there drinking for mana and "oh sorry I missed your OOM msg."

4: Be patient. You don't need to get every item you want the first time you go through somewhere and most likely you won't. Chill. It's a game, enjoy the ride!

5: This is not about groups but about the game overall. It is never OK to call someone out in World Chat. That's what whisper is for. I'm guilty of making hints and allegations so I will hold myself to this rule from now on. I apologize to any that I may have disrespected.

Please add more if you can?

Joh0239

Re: Some Basics on Group (and Game) Etiquette

#2 » Post by Joh0239 » 08 Nov 2017 00:55

Rofl, hahaha one of the most funniest read today.

"a: Unless you have given permission, it is never acceptable to "teach" someone how to play their character"
"d: Do not, I repeat DO NOT discuss another player's techniques or abilities without his or her permission!"

Are you for real dude?
Mandatory Character List:
Zortax - Fury/Prot
Zortix - Boomkin/Restoration
Zortex - MM
Thepower - Enha/Restoration
Zortux - Prot/Ret
Discbelf - Shadow/Disc
Deathen - Frost/Blood
Oombacca - Restoration/Feral(bear)
Kelbert - Demonology
Froxy - Arcane/Fire

Stavromoon

#3 » Post by Stavromoon » 08 Nov 2017 12:10

You disagree? You want someone to come out and criticize how you play your toon?

You think that's OK?

Let me ask it this way. What if a co-worker came over and started telling you how badly you do your job and you need to "study up" on your duties before coming back to work?

Sagiri
Donor

#4 » Post by Sagiri » 08 Nov 2017 13:11

Stavromoon wrote:
08 Nov 2017 12:10
Let me ask it this way. What if a co-worker came over and started telling you how badly you do your job and you need to "study up" on your duties before coming back to work?
Stavromoon wrote:
07 Nov 2017 23:38
1: Please remember it is a GAME.
You might not know, but apart from calling someone a noob/loser/failure (which is obviously bad) there`s also a thing called constructive criticism that can be given by anyone freely without a need for, ugh, "permission". Not everyone knows everything and often such tips can do miracles. If the player does not wish to hear more of those he can simply state so.
But hey, that`s obvious cause
Stavromoon wrote:
3: Communication is everything!

Though I don`t mind seeing "Excuse me Sir, may I interrupt the fine duel of yours for I have plenty words of wisdom to share with you" and such.
` I'm taking it slow, feeding my flame.
Shuffling the cards of your game...
And just in time and in the right place
Suddenly I will play my ace.`

Deim

#5 » Post by Deim » 08 Nov 2017 13:47

What a fine example of etiquette, I'm impressed. I always loved idea of limiting free speach and creating safe spaces for petty oversensitive loosers. Hey it even reminds me of certain player who was so fucking bad that every attempt to help him ended in vain cause he viewed every tip or a comment on his overwhelmingly dick sucking playstyle as an personal attack and started behaving aggresive. Hell, I even suspect there are some petty cellar dwelling newbs lurking around here right now in this thread and cheer deep inside that some day they wont be criticized at least here since irl is already lost for 'em. So yeah it's just a game so nothing to be angry about everyone has a right to suck as much as they want.
Also Wew did nothing wrong and Bustea did 9/11.
Peace!
Last edited by Deim on 08 Nov 2017 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
TrueWoW - Retired
PrimalWoW - Retired
Rest in pepperoni Crimson
RIP in pepperoni Aftershock
Spokesman of Aftershock in case of any questions/complaints hit me up in game or via PM.

Disclaimer: What I write on behalf guild doesn't always corelate with my own beliefs.

Stavromoon

#6 » Post by Stavromoon » 08 Nov 2017 13:57

Ignoring the obvious trolls there are some good points made.

It's courtesy and respect. The Golden Rule. Treat people the way you want to be treated.

If someone is obviously ganking up there toon I certainly see justification in asking, "Hey would you mind a suggestion?"

That does not however, excuse Elitist Jerk attitude. For those of you who remember that group you know it was SARCASM. Nobody likes an elitist jerk.

ItchyVortex

#7 » Post by ItchyVortex » 08 Nov 2017 17:35

I'll take any tip as long it makes sense or I'm given proof it's correct. If I'm giving a tip it's because I'm willing and believe that I can help a player, if it comes out rude to you then it's your problem for interpreting it that way or caring about it in the first place.
Esunna, Feral Druid | Elainn, Discipline Priest

mweldinger

#8 » Post by mweldinger » 08 Nov 2017 22:19

Stavromoon wrote:
a: Unless you have given permission, it is never acceptable to "teach" someone how to play their character
I usually approach it like this when i see people doing things completely wrong.

"Hey my main is a <class> I was looking at your spec, rotation etc and saw a few things you could change up to put out more threat/do more damage/take less damage. after the run I could give you a few pointers if you like."

Never had a single person get defensive and most opt to listen and are grateful for the info.

Deim

#9 » Post by Deim » 09 Nov 2017 00:46

S A R C A S M, you know what guys? The thing that usualy tilts me the most is people that don't get it but I guess that's kind of ambivalent feeling (like when grandmother doesnt stop sucking) as ya know they say sarcasm is domain of inteligent people so big props to the ones who get it. That short blush of superiority. The thing that grinds my gears more than lack of understandment for sarcastic sentences is being hopless and refusing to learn when offered help. Ya know those poor delusional people unwilling to realize they could do better but instead they take offensive approach? I think I do, like calling everything trolling when not agreeing with it or something. But what could I know about it, eh?
Ps sign up for Deim's classess of classy etiquette!
TrueWoW - Retired
PrimalWoW - Retired
Rest in pepperoni Crimson
RIP in pepperoni Aftershock
Spokesman of Aftershock in case of any questions/complaints hit me up in game or via PM.

Disclaimer: What I write on behalf guild doesn't always corelate with my own beliefs.

Stavromoon

#10 » Post by Stavromoon » 09 Nov 2017 11:59

mweldinger wrote:
08 Nov 2017 22:19
Stavromoon wrote:
I usually approach it like this when i see people doing things completely wrong.

"Hey my main is a <class> I was looking at your spec, rotation etc and saw a few things you could change up to put out more threat/do more damage/take less damage. after the run I could give you a few pointers if you like."

Never had a single person get defensive and most opt to listen and are grateful for the info.
Friendly approach IMO, and I would welcome it. Also would be grateful :)

Fastor

#11 » Post by Fastor » 10 Nov 2017 12:49

Sagiri wrote:
08 Nov 2017 13:11
Stavromoon wrote:
08 Nov 2017 12:10
Stavromoon wrote:
1: Please remember it is a GAME.
You might not know, but apart from calling someone a noob/loser/failure (which is obviously bad) there`s also a thing called constructive criticism that can be given by anyone freely without a need for, ugh, "permission". Not everyone knows everything and often such tips can do miracles. If the player does not wish to hear more of those he can simply state so.
But hey, that`s obvious cause
Stavromoon wrote:
3: Communication is everything!

Though I don`t mind seeing "Excuse me Sir, may I interrupt the fine duel of yours for I have plenty words of wisdom to share with you" and such.
Pure example is me teaching Sagiri how to pew pew :D

Jokes a side, while l do agree on what you told about that we should not directly try to teach someone their own class (which happens to be mine too), there are limits until this rule cannot be applied anymore, and that is when player totally suck and makes difficult for others to progress in run they are in. In that case you must give him ultimatum, he/she must chose to follow your micromanaging or get kicked out. Simply having 6k GS does not mean shit if you are doing less than that half of regular player same class.

Fastor

#12 » Post by Fastor » 10 Nov 2017 13:01

Forgot to say, l did had fair amount of students who came to me for guidence, most of them end up top dps in matter of week. It was only their own wish to improve that allowed them to do that, others just got point what to do and became little better than average, while there were some super horrible people that l just needed to show them how to mage, l still cant forget that guy stacking 21% hit rating with gear only (27% with talents), l even made guide with pictures about talents, rotation, stats and addons and after all my attempts and work onto them, they still failed hard.

So take that into consideration when thinking about teaching other players.

That being said, there was times when Fren did aproched to me several times about my misscalculations, luck has it out of 5 times, 4 of them l was in bad mood and acted afk, so take even that into consideration when offering someone to teach about class.

Roel
Founder

#13 » Post by Roel » 10 Nov 2017 13:33

It looks like the main point here is staying friendly. There is a huge difference between friendly advice and stating someone is so bad they need to uninstall. But it's still a game and anyone can play how they want as long as it's within the rules. Playing with randoms is also a choice you can make.

loveable

#14 » Post by loveable » 10 Nov 2017 15:14

join a lk 10hc and see how +6.5k gs ppl going in trap :lol:
all raid leaders snice today will do this : All buff what ever u want and go on & Do your best , tank boss when ever u like , ~ sry u cant even ask someone to tank like this ..
d: Do not, I repeat DO NOT discuss another player's techniques or abilities without his or her permission!
in toc i asked a warrior to interupt boss , he said what ? how warrior interupt :? :shock: ??? :lol: :lol:
this just will makes vigiliance on ot or random tot/md or etc

personaly i belive trash talk is funny part of game , not on mean , but w/o trash talk game is like robot's to do this :
Mr (x) Please next time do not ninja pull boss , i would pay you 10k gold to stop ninja pulling :lol:
Mrs (y) please use wave heal in your heal rotation
The only answer you receive from them , in best condition is "Ok" and they will not do such things u asked (beside Gtfo or not ur bussiness from them ) :lol: :lol:
Beating Everything In WoW -> Ghost <-
Get Rekt , Get Rekt , Get Rekt = RBG
Get Rekt , Get Rekt , Get Rekt = Not RBG

Fitzpatrick
Honorary Member

#15 » Post by Fitzpatrick » 10 Nov 2017 15:30

Being friendly is always good advice, but I feel the need to point out that if one is constantly being "told how to play your class", its probably because one is doing something inefficiently. Playing poorly is perhaps just as bad as being an elitist jerk if it means people dieing or missing DPS checks.

One can either protect one's ego, dismiss the criticism as rudeness, and stagnate, or you can examine it as constructive or not and become a better player. As this is a PVE realm, I have to assume everyone has aspirations at atleast 10-man raids: one can either iron out spec/gear/rotation in dungeons or one can ignore it and objectively be a negative on your guild's progress once you get to the big stage.

When I first got to 60, I had a 1.12-style spec which sucked. Guild members gave me advice and I get better. Everyone goes through that with a new situation. Defensiveness does no one any good.
Fitzsimmons / Bibimbap / Fitzpatrick