Newbie (Bad at subject titles)

Newcomers of all levels are welcomed with their questions. There are always helpful and knowledgeable people ready to share some of their wisdom.
GrimWonderland

Newbie (Bad at subject titles)

#1 » Post by GrimWonderland » 02 Feb 2017 06:41

Hello everyone! My name is Grimm and I am rather new to WoW. Well, kind of new but I still need a partial guide.

Back in the day (pre WOTLK), my friend let me play vanilla WoW and after a few hours, I had achieved a level 10 Human Rogue. I fell in love with WoW but sadly I was never able to get my own subscription. Fast forward a couple of years later and as a college student I have been looking for a good MMO to play. I've beta tested several MMOs over the years including Neverwinter, Dragon Nest, and Cosmic Break but no experience has ever come anywhere near the experience I had with WoW years ago.

After discovering this server and downloading the client (and rolling a few toons to try different races and classes), I want to make a permanent(either faction tbh) Combat Rogue for raids(did a bit of research lol) but I need a bit of help.

QUESTION: Which of the two realms should I play for the best raid experience?
Also, how friendly is the community to new players? I just wanna make a few friends.

P.S. I'm from Dallas, Tx(Central Time Zone) if that helps anyone out and I'm open to play between 6pm-1am almost every night and sometimes during the day.

Jiranthos
Admin

Re: Newbie (Bad at subject titles)

#2 » Post by Jiranthos » 02 Feb 2017 12:12

Hello and welcome!

PrimalWoW is our progressive PVE realm. This means that although people play on a WotLK client, they are effectively playing Vanilla right now and raids are being released in patches, like it was on Retail every few weeks or months or so. Currently PrimalWoWians are doing Naxxramas. The next expansion The Burning Crusade will be unlocked on PrimalWoW in June. Then every few weeks or months or so new TBC raids will be unlocked to them and so on. It's like the original retail progression but with a twist.

TrueWoW is a PVP WotLK realm. All WotLK raids are open and available there and there is no new content, some players are new, other players have got the maximum level and best gear imaginable for years now.

If you love raiding WotLK and don't want to wait for anything, try TrueWoW.
If you want to experience the epic journey through expansions, releases, try PrimalWoW.

Everybody knows that the best way to describe the ocean to a blind man is to push him in

RebelPlatypus

#3 » Post by RebelPlatypus » 02 Feb 2017 14:28

From my experience, leveling is almost always friendly everywhere but tanks and healers take a lot of flack in dungeons. So about normal, from what you'd expect. Not sure how the raid environment in nowadays and PvP has some issues with twinks/ghosting but it's better than it used to be. It can be difficult to find help if you don't already have a guild or friends online with you since population is kind of low, but if you find someone who's willing to partner up they're usually fantastically nice. My experience is mostly with TrueWoW, so this may not apply at all to Primal. I just got a Primal character earlier this week.

My characters are all still leveling even after 6 years. LOL. I'm in Austin Texas so I'll probably be on around the same times as you (but I work an early/busy schedule so my in-game time tends to be only from 6pm until 9pm on a good day). If you ever want to hang out or level together send me a message! I'll see if I can pull my boyfriend into it too. He's pretty good when he needs to be. If you had trouble getting dungeon queues we could at least make up the three roles ;) I'm sure you'd outlevel us in a week though.

Welcome, and good luck!

Eronox
MVP

#4 » Post by Eronox » 02 Feb 2017 14:38

Hey! :)

Just as Jiranthos said, Primal is for the progressive-desired people whom content evolves with time whilst TrueWoW is set and only progression you'd create there would be your characters level and gear. ;)

I'm speaking from the TrueWoW server, when I tell you that newcomers often enyoys their time there. Both in the public chats and the experience from playing as the bugs are very few. And as I've heard, it's very similar at PW! When it comes to your timezone, I have met only a few from TW who shares the same as you, so I suppose PW would maybe be the most active one in your case.. Not sure :(

This'd be a choice of interest in your case though, do you wish to progressive in time with new raids unlocking while raiding with your guild (PW), or do you want to be supreme player and aim to top the fame? (TW)

This would of course fit for both PvP and PvE.

Nevertheless, welcome and enyoy your stay! ^_^

[hide]ugh, i hate to write these posts under the title I'm currently writing. It only seems like I'm trying to achieve something when in reality I'm just talking from my heart <3. With that being said, I meant every word written here and continuing![/hide]

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash

GrimWonderland

#5 » Post by GrimWonderland » 02 Feb 2017 16:20

Thank you everyone! I think I'll stick to PrimalWoW for now and maybe make an alt on TrueWoW when I max out.
Does anybody have any suggestions for approaching players and joining/starting a guild? To be honest, I have only ever played MMOs with irl friends so I have never had to talk to strangers and when I had no friends around, I always solo'd everything lol

w0lf
Donor

#6 » Post by w0lf » 02 Feb 2017 16:57

You can use the Looking for Group channel to advertise yourself as looking for a guild, alternatively you can do a little research on the guilds available (armoury) and approach an officer (high ranking member) of said guild.

Just be polite and take into consideration that English is not everyones' primary language.

Good luck!

Edit: This post brought back memories of when I first starting raiding, I'd like to give @Fixurface a massive thank you for getting me into my first raids which lead to me finding my group of friends whom I still play with today :)
Wilcox wrote:rumor has it, omurtag is still lfm for icc10n
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ |