Good class to start again

Newcomers of all levels are welcomed with their questions. There are always helpful and knowledgeable people ready to share some of their wisdom.
alphamike
Donor

Good class to start again

#1 » Post by alphamike » 25 Jun 2015 17:05

Hi guys, I started WoW a while back during the days of retail Wotlk. I played as a prot pally until Blizzard started updates and preparing for Cataclysm expansion. Didn't made it very far as a prot pally, being limited on play time with studies only got me to about lvl 40ish if I remember correctly.

Feeling nostalgic, since WoW was admittedly quite fun, even for the short time I played it, I stumbled upon this server,heavily modded/instant max lvl servers left me overwhelmed and didn't like it. Blizzlike TrueWoW is awesome. Started the prot pally again till about lvl 21 and decided to try something new, so I started a feral druid to about 24-26ish.

Another break occurred, been put out of commission from studies and work due to my frequent visits to the hospital. It's really a messy situation :( Still not better but from time to time, I have nothing to do and thought maybe WoW would be good for my off time again.

The dilemma is this, should I continue the feral druid, or the prot pally? I enjoyed tanking, but have lost touch over the years, which is also the main reason why I switched to feral druid the last time. Which would be the better option for a noob like me. (Yes I admit I'm a noob, don't know much about wow, don't hate me please?)

Or would you recommend a different class entirely? Not so much a caster type of guy. Any advice would be awesome, cheers!

Fretykso

Re: Good class to start again

#2 » Post by Fretykso » 25 Jun 2015 22:47

Hey man,

I'll try to advise you as much as I can. From the two classes you mentioned, I've been playing both for some time now :

1. Prot pala - really nice tank with high survivability cause of ardent defender. It is my favourite tanking class. I'd say the bigggest advantage of it is the ability to solo some things (as you know pallies have all of those kinda self heals). So you can try soloing some lower lvl instances/raids with a prot pala which is not always that easy with other tanks. Also, the before mentioned ardent defender comes really in handy if heals fail/fall asleep for some reason.

2. Feral druid - some say fdudus are the best IC 25 hc tanking choice. It is hard to disagree with that kinda statement. Why? They have sh*t tons of HP and talents that maximize it. It is nothing unusual to see a fdudu tank with 100 k + HP or maybe even more (haven't played fdudu that much as prot pala). Of course you can't forget about the innervate/brez (when OTing or free at a given moment) and cool dudu buffs. And the fact that everyone loves those hairy fluffy bears. Fdudu is a really strong choice for tanking in WotlK.

3. Warr tank - my experience here is lowest (I have all types of tanks) but I'd say a warr tank is also really strong one. He has a lot of dmg reduction through stats (tons of block through skill, dodge, parry) and some dmg reduction from skills, HP increase skills, excellent shield wall etc. You'll quickly find ppl who will say the only and best tank is warr, though I disagree here. Sadly probably I won't have much more chances to play on my prot warr as I chose to make him horde and regret it. From 1st glance horde community
is very unfriendly here and won't make your life easy (cheers @ that part of horde who is not like that ofc) .

4. Dk tank - IMO weakest of all 4. Low dmg reduction, no block at all. I would never recommend anyone willing to tank to pick a dk.

To summarize : if you like to solo things and you like to have the biggest so called versatility, pala tank is the way to go. But if you don't care for that and want to maximize things in end game raids, fdudu or warrior are excellent choices. It mostly depends on personal preference and how you play (what you do in the game) most of the time.

If you like to experiment, check things, or if you are just smarter than me maybe or sth pick a dk tank and prove me I am wrong. Haven't seen any decent dk tank for ages (been playing for few years on this expansion). If blizz failed with something, it would be dk tanks.

Hope I helped you a little here. It's all just my point of view on things and there might be more ppl to tell you some other things. And actually, hopefully there will be, so that you can think it through and find fun in the game.

Cheers, Art

Arockalypse
Donor

#3 » Post by Arockalypse » 25 Jun 2015 22:58

Fretykso wrote: 4. Dk tank - IMO weakest of all 4. Low dmg reduction, no block at all. I would never recommend anyone willing to tank to pick a dk.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

On topic, roll a Demo Lock ^_^
Shadow Council of Hellraisers
TrueWoW member since 2010.

⌁ How the little piggies will grunt when they hear how the old boar suffered ⌁

BozoBog

#4 » Post by BozoBog » 25 Jun 2015 23:11

Fretykso wrote:4. Dk tank - IMO weakest of all 4. Low dmg reduction, no block at all. I would never recommend anyone willing to tank to pick a dk.
You are being sarcastic, right? :D Blood DK tank is really hard to kill, you might have a bit aggro problems until you gear up and learn to keep up proper rotation, but recent fixes made things easier.

On topic:

As for tanking on TW and WotLK, roll a paladin and you wont be wrong. Easy to play, you will have a spot in raids always, prot paladin is most desirable tanking class, every raid has one (which is not case with other tanking classes), insane survival, and as a bonus you will do a nice dps too.
Economist- Demonology Warlock
Eco - Protection/Retribution Paladin
Prevarant - Fury/Prot Warrior
Morgoth - Frost/UH Death Knight
Anduil - Prot/Holy Paladin
Kandilo - Disc/Shadow Priest
Unsated - Restoration Shaman
Blazing - Markmanship Hunter
Hetada - Protection/Retribution Paladin
Izildur - Fire / 1112 Mage

Myaoming
Former Staff

#5 » Post by Myaoming » 26 Jun 2015 00:31

Yeah Eco, more Paladins xD

I don't know if that matters to you, Alphamike, but everyone is a Paladin. I have no recommendations. All classes are good and viable in their own way in this expansion.
I would want to elaborate but I might end up writing a very long post :D
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

Nyeriah

#6 » Post by Nyeriah » 26 Jun 2015 00:51

I would say roll a Paladin.

cherno666

#7 » Post by cherno666 » 26 Jun 2015 00:53

any class / spec is great if you put your time and effort on it.

if you are going to focus on pve don't roll frost mage , subtelty rogue , survival hunter. every other spec/class is pretty much viable , exept as a newbie it might be a bit harder to perform well as feral dps or demo lock(talking about endgame of course).

So , to sum up , sit back , enjoy and lvl up whatever you like.

Oh yea , you might wonna stick with druid cause if you get bore , it has most specs you can rerol to.
Chernoo - lvl 80 MM Hunter (Main Char)
Eviltities - lvl 80 DK Tonk
Cherniggar - lvl 80 UH DK
Chernomoffo - lvl 80 Shadow Priest
Chernokingg - lvl 80 Disc Priest
Chernobull - lvl 80 Boomie/Feral Dps Druid
Chernomoo - lvl 80 Boomie/Resto Druid
Hollyboner - lvl 80 ProtHoly/Ret Paladin
Hollycherno - lvl 80 Prot/Holy Paladin
Belewonnabe - lvl 80 Prot/Ret Paladin
Chernobylus - lvl 80 Demo Warlock
Evilsmile - lvl 80 Demo Warlock
Onlyforbl - lvl 80 Resto/Ele Shaman
Friedpan - lvl 80 FFB Mage
Chermoo - lvl 80 Fury/Prot Warrior

*Proudly Married to Liqueur*

alphamike
Donor

#8 » Post by alphamike » 26 Jun 2015 05:28

cherno666 wrote:any class / spec is great if you put your time and effort on it.

if you are going to focus on pve don't roll frost mage , subtelty rogue , survival hunter. every other spec/class is pretty much viable , exept as a newbie it might be a bit harder to perform well as feral dps or demo lock(talking about endgame of course).

So , to sum up , sit back , enjoy and lvl up whatever you like.

Oh yea , you might wonna stick with druid cause if you get bore , it has most specs you can rerol to.
Lol...running a feral dps on my druid and it hasn't been easy, maybe it's just me but I don't hit as much as I want to, though the dots are awesome, just some getting used to. A bit harder to grasp than when I started out retail on prot pally, though I totally forgot how to tank :lol:
Myaoming wrote:Yeah Eco, more Paladins xD

I don't know if that matters to you, Alphamike, but everyone is a Paladin. I have no recommendations. All classes are good and viable in their own way in this expansion.
I would want to elaborate but I might end up writing a very long post :D
I think a long post is fine? Haha if you have the time might be a good read for others as well?

blagovest_tonev

#9 » Post by blagovest_tonev » 26 Jun 2015 06:02

Why do you have to choose between a prot pala and feral druid? Play both, enjoy them. You'll get back into the prot paladins if you spend some more time playing them, and playing a feral druid would be something new and funny for you. ;)

Rascall

#10 » Post by Rascall » 26 Jun 2015 07:41

Fretykso wrote:4. Dk tank - IMO weakest of all 4. Low dmg reduction, no block at all. I would never recommend anyone willing to tank to pick a dk.
/facepalm so untrue.

1. Blood tank - doesnt need elaboration. Insane self healing
2. Frost tank - Unbreakable armor every 1 min additional armor and parry via strength, perhaps also acclimation has some place
3. UH tank - bone shield, anti magic zone, magic suppression talent

Plus every dk has antimagic shell, icebound fortitude and death strike if so. Where u see low dmg reduction is a mystery to me.
Rascall Retribution/Holy
Rascallus Blood (tank)/Unholy (DPS)
Rascalluz Affliction/Demonology
Rascalles Feral (bear)/Balance
Rascallez Assassination
Rascallis Arms (DPS)/Arms (tank)
Razcall Marksmanship/Survival
Razcallus Fury/Protection
Razcalluz Feral (cat)/Restoration
Razcalles Combat/Subtlety
Razcaellez Beast Mastery
Razcaell Discipline/Holy
Razcaelllus Enhancement/Restoration
Razcaelluz Blood (DPS)/Frost (tank)
Razcaelles Elemental/Spellhance
Razcaellez Arcane/Frostfire
Rascaell Protection
Rascaellus Frost (DPS)/Unholy (tank)
Rascaelluz Fire/Frost
Rascaelles Shadow
Rascaellez Destruction

...and more...

Saddie

#11 » Post by Saddie » 26 Jun 2015 10:24

I've played every class so far to endgame except rogue and priest, and, in my personal opinion, protection paladin is by far the most boring tanking class, because it's easy to the point where there's almost no challenge, but to each their own I guess :P you could as well experiment leveling some to a certain level, do that with a few classes and from there go with whichever you enjoy the most, for me the most fun I had was with protection warrior, they can be tricky if you don't time things right though, but overall is rather fun, as cherno said though, with druids there are more options to choose from, since they are the one class that can perform every roll, can't go wrong with a druid :roll:

Etro
Honorary Member

#12 » Post by Etro » 26 Jun 2015 16:53

I would choose the druid, not necessarily feral, because, IMO, they have the most versatile playstyle of all classes and can be very challenging at end game (looking at feral there). They're also very handy with innervate and rebirth and can be great tanks.

Pallies are great, but they're also very safe and easy to realize, IMO. I would choose them if I were looking for a fast sense of rewarding.

As for other classes, priests are great at challenging fun, specially at early levels and at end game healing with holy.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

Fretykso

#13 » Post by Fretykso » 26 Jun 2015 23:02

Rascall wrote:1. Blood tank - doesnt need elaboration. Insane self healing
2. Frost tank - Unbreakable armor every 1 min additional armor and parry via strength, perhaps also acclimation has some place

Plus every dk has antimagic shell, icebound fortitude and death strike if so. Where u see low dmg reduction is a mystery to me.
It is a low passive dmg reduction. Almost all you wrote about comes out from skills. Well believe it or not, skill management is always harder than passive dmg reduction from talents/stats. Sure dk tanks have a lot of skills but :

1. You have to manage them correctly and learn em - which is already a difficulty compared to other tanks.
2. You have 3 possible tanking specs as you said - which is also a difficulty in experimenting (cause you will always wonder which spec you should use, which is better and blah blah).

The other 3 types of tanks are somewhat easier to play with. Sure you still need to work on your skill (you always have to) but you have way more passive dmg reduction which makes your life way easier as a tank. If you read correctly what the topic author wrote you'd understand why I advised him as such.
alphamike wrote:Which would be the better option for a noob like me. (Yes I admit I'm a noob, don't know much about wow, don't hate me please?)
Does that look like someone who wants to ealborate on dk tank x hours in order not to be 1 shotted? Dk tanks are paper tanks if not a lot time spent on them to learn how to play. And even after that they are still weaker than other ones.

cherno666

#14 » Post by cherno666 » 27 Jun 2015 13:47

Fretykso wrote:
Rascall wrote:1. Blood tank - doesnt need elaboration. Insane self healing

It is a low passive dmg reduction. Almost all you wrote about comes out from skills. Well believe it or not, skill management is always harder than passive dmg reduction from talents/stats. Sure dk tanks have a lot of skills but :

1. You have to manage them correctly and learn em - which is already a difficulty compared to other tanks.
2. You have 3 possible tanking specs as you said - which is also a difficulty in experimenting (cause you will always wonder which spec you should use, which is better and blah blah).

The other 3 types of tanks are somewhat easier to play with. Sure you still need to work on your skill (you always have to) but you have way more passive dmg reduction which makes your life way easier as a tank. If you read correctly what the topic author wrote you'd understand why I advised him as such.
alphamike wrote:Which would be the better option for a noob like me. (Yes I admit I'm a noob, don't know much about wow, don't hate me please?)
Does that look like someone who wants to ealborate on dk tank x hours in order not to be 1 shotted? Dk tanks are paper tanks if not a lot time spent on them to learn how to play. And even after that they are still weaker than other ones.
dk tanks paper ? please , you may not use shield , but you can go fros and use 2x tank weapons to give you shitloads of extra stats, also , using gazilion of defencive cooldown doesn't require you to be skillfull as hell.

+they are easier to play then warr tanks , in terms of aggro building and holding
Chernoo - lvl 80 MM Hunter (Main Char)
Eviltities - lvl 80 DK Tonk
Cherniggar - lvl 80 UH DK
Chernomoffo - lvl 80 Shadow Priest
Chernokingg - lvl 80 Disc Priest
Chernobull - lvl 80 Boomie/Feral Dps Druid
Chernomoo - lvl 80 Boomie/Resto Druid
Hollyboner - lvl 80 ProtHoly/Ret Paladin
Hollycherno - lvl 80 Prot/Holy Paladin
Belewonnabe - lvl 80 Prot/Ret Paladin
Chernobylus - lvl 80 Demo Warlock
Evilsmile - lvl 80 Demo Warlock
Onlyforbl - lvl 80 Resto/Ele Shaman
Friedpan - lvl 80 FFB Mage
Chermoo - lvl 80 Fury/Prot Warrior

*Proudly Married to Liqueur*

jastericiak

#15 » Post by jastericiak » 27 Jun 2015 14:08

I have a crazy idea and most sincecere of all in this topic. Dont start again
"Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would've noticed another madman around here? Good luck, everyone."