Fix the Battleground Queue

Tenebro
Honorary Member

Fix the Battleground Queue

#1 » Post by Tenebro » 05 Dec 2016 15:13

There are some major issues with the BG queue on this server which creates really huge disbalance, I think devs should really look into it already because I see ppl QQing whole day about being outnumbered in BGs with always a team having +1 for few mins and no one entering on other side, or 2 bgs starting at once like 3v3/4v4 (this happening everyday even a hour ago it happened) and maybe some other issues too.

First issue that happens alot seem to be the one with teams having +1 in bg for 5mins or even more without anyone entering. Most of you will say that there are ppl afking in queue and that's why it takes so much for someone to enter in bg, well that's not true. Yesterday I was in queue for rbg and there was a wsg going on with less than 5 ppl on both sides but ally had +1 in bg for more than 5 mins and I was 4th in queue yet I didn't got call for bg and bg was still with 1 less on horde, I requed cuz I was wondering what's going on and I was again 4th in queue and finally after some few mins more someone else got in bg. Idk but it's like something blocks the queue and no one can enter for few mins it happened before too but I didn't really noticed it like this time cuz I wasn't checking number of ppl in bgs that often.

Second issue: I just copy pasted what I wrote in a previous topic (http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=35506), it seem to happen only in the first 2 mins of preparation when BG is about to start.

at 80 its hard to say if its dual box or an issue with the bg system cuz there are many ppl queueing every minute but at low lvl its easy to notice that this isn't a dual box issue.

here's what the issue is: lets say 2 ally are ready at 20-29 then 2 hordes queue, those 2 hordes will enter bg and on ally 1 of them will enter other one will have the bg pop but still didn't accept, now if a 3rd horde decide to que in that moment he will be allowed to enter even though in bg are already 2 hordes and 1 ally only, he will enter cuz the 2nd ally didn't accept yet or he's afk in que so the bg will most likely be 1v3 if that 2nd ally is afk or 2v3 if he accept que, there is no dual box or no 3rd ally its an issue with bg system I suppose

I have experienced this in all the brackets every week, at 80 there are just many ppl queing and ofc sometimes one of them will get call for bg but won't accept so if someone on opposite faction que while the afk guy got the call he will get in and make the opposite team have +1 inside

Third issue I didn't experienced it very often but still an annoying one similiar to the first issue I wrote in this topic when both factions are qued for bg but no one get calls for 10+ mins even tho bg not full and outnumbered on 1 side, I'll just give the link to bugtracker since I reported it there http://www.truewow.org/bugs/view.php?id=4577

And the last issue would be the one with 2 bgs starting at once, for example today 2 wsg both 4v4 started at same time, I finished the one I was in and requed hoping I'll get in second wsg but instead 3v3 sota started while the other wsg was still going on, sad.

I hope devs can for once not ignore BG related issues and give some answer if this can be fixed.

Nymunne
Former Staff

Re: Fix the Battleground Queue

#2 » Post by Nymunne » 05 Dec 2016 15:22

As much as you won't like the answer there are two possibilities when this happens:
- players are indeed AFK
- players are dual-queuing

We check the dual-queue as much as we can and either pm the users to stop doing it or we give them a deserter buff if this keeps happening. Players even got banned for dual-queuing or not doing anything in the battlegrounds but either than that I personally don't know how I could approach this better.

If you would see how many people use the excuse of "I was just checking the queue" people come up with you will probably dream about it.

If one is afk and another queues then you will get that players spot as it will be open but I am not sure now if it works in the way where spots need to fill before other faction's player can enter the battleground (i.e: 3a 4h > one ally enters it will be 4-4 and only then more people from each side can enter).

Tenebro
Honorary Member

#3 » Post by Tenebro » 05 Dec 2016 15:53

You are wrong, I played enough bgs in the past year to know that something is wrong with the queue, I wouldn't write all this if I wasn't sure about it, what I'm not really sure about is the first and third issue which I have no idea how to reproduce because it happens really random and ye sometimes it's actualy someone dual queueing but it happen so often that it can't be dual queue everytime. About the second issue I'm 100% sure it's something wrong when bg starts cuz I played bgs at low lvl more than anyone here and I saw plenty of bgs 3v1 from start, sometimes I was the 3rd person who entered while inside was not even a 2nd ally, but on 80 someone will just enter even if after few mins, the last issue is obvious a bug and doesnt make any sense to start 2 bgs 4v4 at once, so I hope a dev can look into that.

Supernova

#4 » Post by Supernova » 05 Dec 2016 19:43

I can confirm that.
I have seen an furst bg with less ppl at the one side and a second bg going on while anyone who join will get the second and the furst will left as it is.
Diabla - Blood Elf Paladin
Ambrosia - Blood Elf Death Knight
Supernova - Orc Shaman
Bladespinner - Orc Warrior

Tenebro
Honorary Member

#5 » Post by Tenebro » 07 Dec 2016 20:09

Bump

Doctor_J
Developer

#6 » Post by Doctor_J » 07 Dec 2016 20:29

The first part is indeed due to afk players as when a new bg is created the same amount of players from each side are invited to join bg, same amount of players are called from each faction however if player is afk and misses call or chooses not to enter the bg then next player in queue for that faction will be called as long as there are players in queue, and if multiple players in queue are afk then it can mean that one side as more players than the other as if a player is afk when player has been called there invite must time out or they must manually decline it when invite comes otherwise server will wait full time for bg invite on each player.

Problem is that with low population there may not always be a player in queue for a given faction and once players are invited from both side invitations are not revoked so if one side gets extra player and player on other faction decides not to enter or just queued to get into bg on there main character thats where problems lay or are genuinly afk due to wait times for bgs on truewow.

Also remember some players will check to see what bg is up and whos in it before choosing to enter a bg which is also down to low level population as on retail you cant check to see whos in a bg or what bg is up as there are multiple bgs running at once and een if u see players you know in bg it is unlikely you will get into the same bg unless you queue as group but ye some players wont enter for example if bg is av or ioc as dont want a long bg but also look at the chance of winning by looking at the players already in bg.

Actually think it may help server if players cant see which bg is running or whos in it same as happens with arenas to stop the dodgers.

Tenebro
Honorary Member

#7 » Post by Tenebro » 08 Dec 2016 02:31

Ye, I know ppl afk in queue alot cuz that's normal, no one is gonna stay 10-15-30 mins looking at the screen waiting for bg to pop, I was aware of this fact when I made the topic. What I keep trying to make ppl understand is that the queue system is not working in a fair way and there may be gaps and bugs in that BG code or idk how else to call them, that make the BGs unfair, I played plenty of BGs where our team or the opposite team was outnumbered by 1 player for more than 5 mins while in queue there were actualy ppl waiting to join. I highly doubt that there were so many situation with 5 or more ppl afk in queue one after another.

There are also really often situations when for example the bg is 6v6 then all of a sudden we get 2 ppl inside both joining at same time and on opposite team 1 player joins, here you can't talk about afking in queue cuz the only normal way to make 2 ppl enter bg at same time is by having other 2 ppl on opposite team joining at the very same time so they can't be afk cuz they just joined and made 2 ppl on our side enter, ofc it can be someone with alt on both side and just queue it so he can enter on ours, but idk what to think it happens really often and I'm playing like 3-5 bgs a day (more or less) and yet I keep seeing this everyday I play.

I think most of the staff doesn't really play BGs to make an idea of how it really works and I can't really bring any relevant proof to such issues.

I'm asking a dev or someone who have acces to the BG script if it is possible to track such issues in the written code there and if somehow it's possible to be fixed, or idk maybe at least that issue with 2 bgs starting at once would be nice to see it gone since it happens everyday and instead of getting a full 15v15 bg to start av/ioc after we get 2 unfilled bgs from which we end up with a wsg.

Doctor_J
Developer

#8 » Post by Doctor_J » 08 Dec 2016 11:57

as said dont think there is anything wrong with the queue script as said reasons are probably either due to afk players or players checking what bg is active and whos in bg first before pressing the button to enter bg or players checking for favourable conditions ie bg of choice and who else is in team.

As said a lot of these queue problems would probably be solved if players could not use /who to check what bg is running and whos in it before entering as you can do this on retail ye you can find out what bgs are running but it is highly that you would get into same bg so ye people abuse this on tw due to low population or players know exactly which bg they will get into before they enter.

Gnurg

#9 » Post by Gnurg » 09 Dec 2016 11:24

There's for sure something wrong with the script.

Many times I've also found myself queue, there are enough Alliance and Horde players, and the battleground isn't full. Likely someone ahead of me haven't accepted the que, but even if it goes beyond 1 minute (the time you have to accept the queue), I still don't get to enter. Should I have someone else queue or if I requeue, it will pop right away, which makes me believe the queue isn't updated when a person doesn't accept the queue (maybe if they're offline?).
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

Tenebro
Honorary Member

#10 » Post by Tenebro » 21 Dec 2016 17:39

Did 1 bg now was 6v5 for half the time (bg lasted like 20+ mins) and no one entered yet there were both horde and ally in queue.
http://prntscr.com/dm8dz5 Here a friend from guild tells me the queue is 2-2 after I asked on lfg for like 10 mins to join rbg, keep in mind the time from chat 18:01
http://prntscr.com/dm8fik Second SS with BG still 6v5 after 6 mins
http://prntscr.com/dm8lgc After almost 8 mins someone joins
http://prntscr.com/dm8m19 BG end, I asked erallas if he was afk in que or something he said he wasn't and you can see in first SS that he was second in queue which means frenz was in queue somehow for like 7-8 mins and didn't got call yet we were 6v5 and even 2 more ally waiting in queue.

Can this be fixed somehow?