Etrobian Compact: Menu demo

Discussions, suggestions and error reports for the forums and website.
Etro
Honorary Member

Etrobian Compact: Menu demo

#1 » Post by Etro » 20 Sep 2016 06:25

A while ago I had an idea of making a theme inspired by windows 10 side menus (which I like) and make it sort of minimalist. Well, I'm trying it now. Made the basis of it, mainly the menu and I would like some of your opinions. Take notice that the theme is not near completion. It's missing to adapt it's responsive layout, fix and replace some colours (which most are from Etrobian Second atm), etc.

At this moment, I'm interested on what you guys think of the menus.

You can already switch to it in your board preferences, or if you like, a direct preview link here: http://www.truewow.org?style=32
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

Nyeriah

Re: Etrobian Compact: Menu demo

#2 » Post by Nyeriah » 20 Sep 2016 06:35

I like it, but it takes too much space of limited screen for me to enjoy it :P

Longi

#3 » Post by Longi » 20 Sep 2016 07:15

• For avatar use rather circle instead of that " ellipse " , some pictures dont look good in elliptical viewport
  • Home button is under avatar picture, well letter " H " is under only
  • Dont use a wrench icon for Tools, in my opinion it looks more like settings icon or so
  • on 22" monitor, 1/4 of window is just black, but I think it has something with responsive layout ( maybe )
  • the gaps between options in forum and server menu are annyoing, in my opinion full bar will be better than few little

Etro
Honorary Member

#4 » Post by Etro » 20 Sep 2016 07:32

Longi wrote:
  • For avatar use rather circle instead of that " ellipse " , some pictures dont look good in elliptical viewport
  • Home button is under avatar picture, well letter " H " is under only
  • Dont use a wrench icon for Tools, in my opinion it looks more like settings icon or so
  • on 22" monitor, 1/4 of window is just black, but I think it has something with responsive layout ( maybe )
  • the gaps between options in forum and server menu are annyoing, in my opinion full bar will be better than few little
  • It depends on the image. Rectangles predominant on x or y will inevitably be elipses, as it's its borders that get rounded up. Squared avatars look like circles. An other approach would be to cut the image into a circle from its center, but can't predict results for every avatar. Maybe there's an other way, but have yet to look it up.
  • It's a bug with your particular type of avatar, which is predominant on x and avatar continers check for heights only and let its width automatically adjust after it. Fixed this.
  • What icon would you suggest?
  • Yes, it's about the responsive layout.
  • Not sure what you mean. The gap between "View unanswered posts" and "View unread posts", for example?
Excluding bugs and incomplete parts, what do you think of the overall menu? As in if you'd use it instead of the current one (Etrobian Second, truewowice) or not. I wonder if having menus available like that (everything player related always available in a drawer-like menu to the left) and everything else on a regular menu on top.
"With life, no matter what you do, you are all in. This is going to kill you. Might as well play the most magnificent game you can while you're waiting, because... Do you have anything better to do? Really?"

Longi

#5 » Post by Longi » 20 Sep 2016 07:52

Etro wrote:
    Good question, maybe circle with " i " inside, like informations or so, if you know what i mean
  • Not sure what you mean. The gap between "View unanswered posts" and "View unread posts", for example?
yes I meant these gaps, it depends on page you are browsing but some background can have disruptive effect

Excluding bugs and incomplete parts, what do you think of the overall menu? As in if you'd use it instead of the current one (Etrobian Second, truewowice) or not. I wonder if having menus available like that (everything player related always available in a drawer-like menu to the left) and everything else on a regular menu on top.
I like this idea and prolly I ll use it, but depends on avatar picture :D
  • Maybe if you re-colour that side menu, yellow in black is a little agresive, maybe blue or orange or different shades of yellow
  • If you open side menu by clicking on any button, you cannot go back to home, may you can add smething like if you click one time on icon it will open menu and second click will close it

Etro
Honorary Member

#6 » Post by Etro » 20 Sep 2016 08:04

Longi wrote:
Etro wrote:
    Good question, maybe circle with " i " inside, like informations or so, if you know what i mean
yes I meant these gaps, it depends on page you are browsing but some background can have disruptive effect

I like this idea and prolly I ll use it, but depends on avatar picture :D
  • Maybe if you re-colour that side menu, yellow in black is a little agresive, maybe blue or orange or different shades of yellow
  • If you open side menu by clicking on any button, you cannot go back to home, may you can add smething like if you click one time on icon it will open menu and second click will close it
- I'm not yet sure about colours, but I was told (and kind of agree) that we're a bit tired of blue.
- You can close the menu by clicking anywhere else that isn't the menu. But maybe I can implement a close button.

Longi

#7 » Post by Longi » 20 Sep 2016 08:14

Etro wrote: - I'm not yet sure about colours, but I was told (and kind of agree) that we're a bit tired of blue.
hmm ... blue - black, green - black, yellow - black, purple - black, pink - black, orange - black ... those colour combinations work well I think
Etro wrote:- You can close the menu by clicking anywhere else that isn't the menu. But maybe I can implement a close button.
ye I found it but those days when people are more retarted, you need to give them direct option, like close button or that double click or so ( you know something they already know from life )

Longi

#8 » Post by Longi » 20 Sep 2016 08:39

• maybe you know this site, you can find there some ideas about how icons can look like ( none cares about copyright rights :D ) https://www.iconfinder.com/
  • for that side menu, I cannot image how that "click elsewhere" to get back will work on smartphones / tablets

Edit :
  • after your update is avatar picture tooo small ( that ecllipse looks more weird )

Fastor

#9 » Post by Fastor » 20 Sep 2016 14:35

Make it turn on/off button.

Relina

#10 » Post by Relina » 20 Sep 2016 14:48

Nice work so far Etro :D, though I my self would like that popup menu on the right hand side but that might just be me :lol:, maybe add an option button to let it switch sides like you did for the stalker menu button where its accessible directly.
Truewow: Retired for now.
Peace - Lvl: 80 Paladin

Primalwow: Retired for now.
Relina - Lvl: 70 Paladin

I'm willing to become a stone bridge.
Just...
to catch a glimpse of you passing by.

Roel
Founder

#11 » Post by Roel » 20 Sep 2016 15:16

This seems like the best option for phone users. Personally I won't use it but I am not the average user.

Everything on the left menu requires 2 clicks instead of 1. Making it hover like the top menu would be better and then keeping the icons on the left side instead of moving them to the right. After selecting one icon you would currently need to move the mouse to the right and then up/down to select another icon. If you keep the icons on the left, you would only need to do the up/down and it would automatically show the other menu options with a hover.

Eronox
MVP

#12 » Post by Eronox » 20 Sep 2016 15:57

It's awesome!

But for the UX part it would be better settled at the right side, at least with this theme :)

Also, not compatible for phone view ^_^
http://i.imgur.com/T1wPeBc.png
http://i.imgur.com/DSnoQ7h.png

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash

Etro
Honorary Member

#13 » Post by Etro » 20 Sep 2016 18:46

Can make options for pretty much everything, really.

@Eronox: Yes, that has to do with the responsive layout, which isn't adjusted yet.

ATM I just want to know if I should bother on completing it or not.

Eronox
MVP

#14 » Post by Eronox » 20 Sep 2016 21:58

If time or will is Holding you back, I'd by honor would be able to help you develop it futher :)

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash